Wiki Posts
Search

USN-KUL- My first trip report

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAPlat,QF,SQ,KE ,SPG,OZ
USN-KUL- My first trip report

Well, I have gotten a lot if great information from FT, so I thought I would try and give something back with this trip report! It is my first proper trip report- and is quite long. Please bear with it!

I wanted to surprise my fiancee with a trip, and with the Memorial Day long weekend coming up, I started looking for some cheap tickets. I found well priced tickets from ICN-KUL, via SIN with SQ on their website, so I booked them. I then arranged an extra day off work for both of us, with her boss and co-workers sworn to silence

Friday June 3- I told NR (my fiancee) late on Friday night, after work-"Oh, by the way, we are going to Singapore and Malaysia tomorrow for 4 days!" She was very surprised, and pleased. Lots of brownie points for me!

Sat. June 4

USN-GMP
Korean Air- KE 1608 Seats: 7D/E
Scheduled Time of Departure/Arrival: 1300-1355
Actual Time of Departure/Arrival: 1308-1347

Headed to USN airport, with a quicker than usual 20 minute taxi ride (still only about 7US$). There was no line at the KE check-in, I have yet to see one outside of Chinese New Year. I upgraded our Economy tickets to Business class at the counter for $20US each, simply to be able to get off the plane first. I also took care of the tax on my award flight for next month, since KE closed their USN city office to cut costs.

As we went upstairs to the departure area, I noticed that I had booked my award ticket for the wrong time, as our flights in July have changed to an early CX departure from ICN (so as to be able to complete the AA Platinum Challenge- thanks FT ). I went back down to the C/I desk, and asked them to change the flight from the 1300 flight, to the 0700 flight on the same day. "No problem....sorry about the wait sir...here you are, changed to the 0700 flight. Thank you for flying Korean Air Sir." This whole chage took about 45 seconds- with the apology! The Peak season, O/w domestic flight cost 7500 points.

Through security and ID card checks in a couple of minutes as always- USN airport is very small, with only one flight arriving or departing every 30 minutes. There are only 2 gates one for KE and one for OZ- though both have aerobridges.

Boarding was fast, for this 737-800. J has 2 rows of 2x2, Y has 3x3. The flight was about 3/4 full.

Departure was a little late. The inflight service is polite, with a smile, and VERY basic. There is one trolley- drinks only service. Coffee, tea, juice, Coke or water is offered, in a paper cup- J and Y. Usually, candies are offered, but not today.

KE and OZ domestic services are the same- though the longest domestic flight is 55 minutes, so I don't expect much. Seat pitch is 38" in J, and 29-32" in Y. The overhead bins are as tight a squeeze as the seats!

Arrived early, and taxied to a remote stand- WAY out at the back of GMP. The bus took us to the terminal quickly though, and we were on the shuttle bus to ICN by 1357. The shuttle costs about $4.5 pp- though this is the cheapest one. KE has a shuttle that is $6. We just get which ever one is ready to leave first.

ICN-SIN
Singapore Air- SQ887 Seats: 44A/C
S.T.D/A: 1630-2145
At.D/A: 1645-2113

I had already selected our seats with Internet C/I, and I had managed to score EMEX! Went to Internet C/I counter to get out boarding passes, and was dealt with quickly by the KE groundstaff.

I headed over to AIG to get some travel insurance, and then we went to security and immigration. Though very quickly- though it would have been quicker if people had taken their shoes off in the line, instead of at the x-ray machines .

ICN is such a great airport, though it si made better by the fac tthat we usually have lounge access with KE or CX, in F/J. Today though, just Y, so no lounge

Boarding at Gate 33 started on time at 1600, seemed to go quickly- boarding by rows was enforced today. Looked left on entering to get a glimpse of the Spacebeads, only to see Ultimo seats in J. Couldn't see all the way into F.

NR's RVML (raw vegetarian meal) was confirmed, and hot towels were given, followed by headsets.

The menu came around, and was for dinner:

Appitizer: Marinated Prawns with Crispy Romaine Lettuce.

Main courses: Pan fried fish steak served with tomato pesto butter, melted leek and potato ragout.
OR
Dak Jchim- Korean style braised chicken with muchrooms, spiced vegetables and steamed rice.

Cheese and Crackers

Dessert: Ice Cream

Roll and butter.

I took the Dak Jchim, and I knew what to expect. This dish has been served to me out of ICN a number of times with SQ, KE and CX, in both Y and J. Pehaps there was a bulk order of frozen chicken at the caterers? I don't know why there was chicken or fish though- what about some red meat

NR's raw vegetarian meal looked great, and she was glad I had picked it. usually in Y she orders the fruit plate- she doesn't like to eat much on the plane, and doesn't like meat all that much anyway. I wish I had ordered on for myself. The chicken tasted better than it looked, though since it looked like vomit, that was easy! Our table leant on an uncomfortable slope down, so it was hard to eat. The portions seem smaller than previously, though as my last SQ Y flight was 2 years ago, so it is possible.

There were quite a few rounds with the drinks cart, through the whole flight, and the Korean FA in the jump seat across from us was nice, making sure we were well served though the whole flight. Our favorite Korean ice-cream was served, 9-9 ice cream. Chocolate, caramel sauce, marshmellow and peanuts.....

There was not AVOD on this 777-200, so I had to try and jump in to get the movies on the cycle. I watched Robots and The Wedding Date. NR watched The Wedding Date and The Pacificer. Unimpressed with all of the movies, and Krisworld- a lot of static and a jumpy picture.

We arrived at SIN early, at 2113, with a 10 minute taxi to F31. We were off the plane and through immigration by 2140.

We then stopped at the ATM to get some SIN$ to catch a cab to our hotel: Le Meridien Changi Village... (next installment- sorry that this is so long! Let me know if you want to read the rest of the trip )
Old Jun 11, 2005, 2:00 am

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
Nice report.Liked all the small details. Waiting for the rest.Thanks ^
Old Jun 12, 2005, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Well here is the next section of my trip report. Thanks to all of the people who have viewed it. I hope it was good to read . There are some photos also up now: http://ulsantravel.blogspot.com/

Le Meridien Changi Village Hotel, Singapore.
Room: Standard King bed.

Having missed the hourly shuttle from Changi to the airport by about 30 seconds- we watched it drive off , we grabbed a cab to the hotel, and ended up pulling in ahead of the shuttle anyway. On first sight, the hotel looks quite fun- a lot of colored balconies, lit up up with lights. Went up to the front desk and was struck by just how noisy it was- the was a band playing somewhere- I could hardly hear the C/I agent.

I was given the key, and I asked where our included breakfast would be served. I was told that we wouldn't be given breakfast. Since I had booked the Moments New Asia Hotels rate, through the Le Meridien site a week before, I knew that there should be both a breakfast, and an upgrade to the next room category. I mentioned that the rate included breakfast, and was told, "But this hotel doesn't give the breakfast that is included in that rate"! I asked for a manager to confirm that this was the case. The agent said they would call me in the room.

We went up to the room, on the 5th floor. I was surprised to see two single beds. The bell man told us that the hotel was at 100% tonight, so there were no other rooms with a King bed. He suggested that we push the bed together, though he made no attempt to assist in doing this. He then waited, and asked twice, "Is everything fine?", while wanting a tip I replied "No it isn't!", didn't tip him, and went down to the front desk to ask what had happened.

I was told that there were no other rooms. I complained, that not only was there the problem with the hotel not wanting to honor the original breakfast provision, but they gave us single beds. Why didn't you tell me this when we checked in a couple of minutes ago? A senior agent then came over (Front desk manager?) and asked when we would check out in the morning. I told her, and so she moved us to a room on the 7th floor. When the original agent gave me the new keys, he said, "And this is a better room than the one you paid for."

I didn't know what to say to that . It was so rude- aside from the fact that the rate I paid had a free catergory upgrade anyway, it was their change to give us a King bedded room- I didn't ask for the upgrade. This really left me wondering why I had left Starwood behind! (Not that we have stayed with*wood in SIN, last time we were at the Ritz Carlton...).

We left the hotel, and went up the road to get some Indian food, which was delicious- though we ordered way too much as usual.

We finally got back to have a look at our new room at 2345. The new room was one with a colored balcony, overlooking the Civil Service Club, and Changi Harbour. The finishing looked cheap- obvious power points, cords everywhere, and cheap looking bed linen. The rain forest shower head was great- especially considering the quality of the room in general, though water ran off the shower curtain, and all over the floor Serious design flaw there, with the shape of the tub area. NR finally found the hairdryer, in an unmarked drawer, in the closet!?

By 1205, I had made 3 calls to the "Solutions" number, getting vocie mail twice, and no call back in rgards to breakfast. At 1210, I called a 4th time, and was told "Yes, you can have it."

We quickly went to bed, after killing two very large mosquitoes. In the morning we headed to breakfast, and wished we had never bothered with it. It was one of the worst run breakfast buffets we have ever been to! No one checked our room number, or gave a bill to us at all. The coffee was nasty and watery. Most of the dishes were running low, and stayed that way, even though there was about an hour left. The room was packed, with s number of sporting teams and families there. It was very noisy.

We quickly ate some toast and fruit, and then checked out, and went back to Changi. The hotel cost S$139, inclusive, and though not expensive, it wasn't value for money!
Old Jun 12, 2005, 4:04 am
Original Poster

June 5
Singapore Airlines: SQ110 SIN-KUL Seats:50A/B
S.T.D/A:1235-1325
A.T.D/A: 1247-1327

We had already gotten our boarding passes in ICN the day before, so we just went through immigration, in less than a minute, and checked which gate we needed-E3.

The BP said that boarding would start at 1155, yet at 1150, the monitors were flashing final call. I think that this will become self defeating in trying to get people to the gate early. We just ignored it, as I had seen the issue mentioned a number of times here on FT

We stopped into to Duty Free, and I got a bottle of VC La Grande Dame 1996, for only S$180- much, much cheaper than the Korean price. ^

We got to the gate at about 1210, to find the line for security snaking back quite a long way. We went through, and straight onto the plane, boarding having started at 1220. The flight was full.

We were served some water only 20 minutes before arriving in KUL. The FA's work hard on this short flight!

Arrived at C3 in KUL.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 5:44 am
Original Poster

June 5-7
Kuala Lumpur Le Meridien
Room 2859

Getting to the hotel

It took an hour from landing, to get onto the KLIA Express, the train to the city.

The lines at immigration were really long, and there were a lot of people around the airport generally. On our way out of the airport, I saw a display of the Hilton room. Wow, that TV is big . Well, we would be staying next door, at the Le Meridien. We were hoping for a better stay than the one we had just left in SIN.

I think that the KLIA Express is very expensive, compared to other transport in Malaysia, at 35MYR per person. For a couple it is the same price as a voucher taxi from the airport. As we were stying next to Central Station though, it was a good, quick way to get to the hotel. There is a Le Meridien desk on arrival at Central, so we went in there, and a bell boy was called over from the hotel, while we had some water. I though that C/I would be done there, but it wasn't. The agent did make note that we had booked a suite though, so I though that we would be taken to the Club lounge to be checked in, as mentioned in the rate summary. Alas, I was wrong again.

Check in

C/I was done by a very friendly young woman. She encouraged us to eat at Al Nafourah, the signature restaurant, and we were planning to. She also mentioned where the pool and health club were. We were then told that breakfast was in One on One, and included in the rate- so this was better than out start in Singapore . I asked about the Executive club, but the computer had only given us a suite, and not an Executive Club Suite, so, after sorting that out at C/I- by paying an extra 75MYR for the second night, we were taken up to our room.

The room

Our room was 2859, a one bedroom suite, with a pool/garden view. We did have a view of most of the city as well however. At 69sqm, it was big for the two of us. There were two large tv's, the one in the living room also had a DVD. The sofa was very comfortable, and there were two chairs and a desk. One thing that struck me was hot the room was, with the a/c running. There was a large orchid , about 5 foot tall in the entrance area of the room, which was a nice touch, and across from that there was a very large powder room.

The bedroom was well sized, with a king bed, and a HUGE closet. There were a lot different hangers, all of which could be taken out- this makes a nice change from the usual attached hangers. There wasn't a top sheet on the bed, which I think is a bad idea in such a hot climate. Extra pillows were in the closet, above the TV. There was also an armchair, table and a standing lamp.

The a/c didn't work, and on the second day, I called for some one to fix it. Two men arrived in a couple of minutes, and fixed it quickly. The batteries in the living room TV remote were dead.

The bathroom

The main bathroom was huge, with a lot of stone and granite. The bath was deep, but short for me (at 6'3", this is not something new! ), though, at the end of the bath there was a very wide ledge(about 2') where an oversized bath should have been. I suspect it was a cost cutting measure. Does the Hilton next door have the oversized baths or this wide ledge?The water pressure was fine, but the shower was terrible- see my photo. A little hand held shower, attached to a wall bracket. Remember that this hotel is in the same price range as the Hilton, the RC, MO and Sheraton Imperial. The advertised Hermes bathroom amenities were absent, replaced with mostly no name Le Meridien ones, and a SMALL set of Annick Goutal, Eau d'Hadrien. It consisted of a body lotion, a tiny shampoo, and a really tiny soap. Very poor form.

The hotel stay

The pool area was great- it was fairly quite, considering the size of the hotel, and there is the option of heading over to the Hilton side, which has a water slide, which most of the children from our hotel did, thankfully! Al Nafaourah was closed for private funtions both nights we were there, and the pool/patio was closed one night for a private function as well. We ate one night at the Hilton, and charged it back to our room, which was good to able to do. The curry I had there was very mild indeed, and when I asked, since this is 'Spicy Chiken Curry', can it be made spicy, I was told no!

Club Lounge

We were impressed with the size, and feeling of the club. It was spacious, with lots of areas to sit. It has an atrium about 2 or 3 florrs high, so feels light and airy. It was dead most of the time. I managed to get a look at the log on the desk, as saw that there had been only 12 people, including us in for breakfast that morning, and we go there a little before it finished. There were two staff, and the woman who served us was VERY slow. Friendly, but slow. She spilled our juice all over the table, though we were getting some fruit at the time, luckily. A note- the breakfast has bread and pastries as well as fresh fruits set up buffet style. Anything else- all drinks, yogurt and hot food must be asked for. We were offered drinks, but nothing else. When I asked if there was anything hot, we were offered eggs cooked to order- not our order, but an order of some kind! NR's scrambled eggs came as an omlete, and my sunny side up eggs very very sunny indeed! And my grapefruit juice came cleverly disguised as orange juice. Yogurt was delivered in little shot glasses- looked great, but the serve was too small. The next morning I asked for it in a bowl, and a giant bowl, that looked like about half a litre came out!

Cocktails of an evening were better the first night, than the second due to the staff. Both times there were only one other couple in the lounge, so it was very quite. Moet was the free champagne. The canapes that came with the drinks were really very good- both in terms of presentation and taste.On the 7th, we stopped in for cocktails before our late check out. When I asked for champagne, I was told that it wasn't served in the lounge! I said it had been on the two previous nights, he went off and got it. When I asked for a second glass quite a while later, I was told that the Moet was all finished, and that there was New Zealand Sparkling instead. I am sure that the Moet wasn't finished, but he just didn't want to serve it too us

Check Out I was lucky to be checked out an Australian, who was a senior staff member. When asked about my stay, I mentioned a number of the things that were wrong with the stay, though not everything. He listened carefully, and replied to most of them- the amenities had very recently been changed over from Hermes, and he would mention that, so it could be taken off the web site. he asked if I had filled in the comments form, which I had, and when I gave it to him, he said that he would read it very carefully. Was he the hotel manager? If so, I was lucky to get him doing the C/O. The extra half day charge for the 1930 C/O was waived, even though I didn't ask for that. ^

Overall impression

The biggest problem with the hotel was that none of the staff were proactive. When asked, tasks were completed very quickly, and well. It was just annoying to have to ask for everything all the time. The fact is that on C/I the agent ahould have mentioned that the restaurant would be closed for guests for 2 nights, not tried to upsell it to us. The maid should have checked things like the remote batteries. The lounge staff should have explained the way breakfast worked on the first morning, not wait for me to ask if there was any hot food. I appreciated the waived extra charge for the late C/O, but I don't think I would stay at this place again, especially for the price. I only chose Le Meridien because of their offer- stay twice, until the end of June, pay with a Visa card, and get a night free. We will take the free night in Bangkok in August, along with a point plus pay night at the Royal Orchid Sheraton .

Last edited by johnkennett; Jun 12, 2005 at 8:25 am
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Finally, the last leg of our trip back to Korea! I hope that you have enjoyed reading this report. I'm sorry that it has been so long, and heavy on the little details. With the next one, I'll try and trim it a little

June 7
SIN-KUL SQ119 777-200
Seat:45D/E
S.T.D/A: 2145-2240
A.T.D/A: 2204-2247

I had used the business centre at the hotel in KUL to do internet check-in, the day before. We were allocated 45DE, though the SIN-KUL shuttle doesn't seem to allow seat selection for Y online- at least I couldn't seem to get anyhting, other than the choice or aisle or window. There is no internet check-in counter at KUL. I asked a free agent next to First Class where I should go to collect our B.P's. I was told to just join the Y line, which was considerable. I insisted that as I had already checked in online, that I shouldn't have to line up again. He agreed, and asked a F agent to issue the boarding passes ^

As we were heading down to immigration, I was asked by an airport employee if both of the bags were mine, as it seemed like a lot of luggage, though with one standard carry on each, I don't know why she asked. I was carrying both mine and NR's, but she didn't know what class we were in, or what airline we were with, so the question just seemed pointless. I answered yes, and went down to immigration, which was clear. We were through in seconds.

We took the train over to C2, where we would be boarding, and took the chance to rid ourselves of the last of the MYR at Starbucks.

The waiting area at the gate was full, and boarding started at 2120, a little late. The flight was full in Y, and looked full in F. I noticed that the priority boarding call was for Frist class. *A Gold were told to board with Y pax. Is this shuttle ever anything other than full in Y?

Boarding was done quickly, but we then had to wait for 5 missing pax. 4 finally turned up, which led to a further wait while unloading luggage. We arrived at 2247, and then had a 10 minute taxi to Gate E3.

I made a dash to DFS, to grab some gifts for my co-workers (can't go back to work after an overseas trip in Korea without gifts for EVERYONE! ).

SIN-ICN
SQ882 747-Megatop
Seats: 34B/C

S.T.D/A: 2350-0705(+1)
A.T.D/A: 0115(+1)-0805

Sounds of final call were ringing through Changi. Mindful of our flight up to KUL 2 days before, I ignored the first 3, and made my way up to gate E28. Man that is a long way! . I ended up being one of the people you see in a mad dash to their gate, as the time was running out before they would close the gate. I got there at 2335, 5 minutes before it was scheduled to close, and went straight on. There were quite a few enpty seats in this forward mini Y cabin, and a few empty overhead bins. None above 34ABC though . As we got boarded, the Korean Fa who had sat across from us in the jumpseat down from ICN was at the door checking boarding passes, and recognized us. She hoped we had a pleasant trip, and that we would have a good flight back tonight. ^

We were all boarded and waiting 2345. We then sat waiting,waiting and waiting.... At 2355, there was an annoucement that there was a problem with an indicator, and that they would be getting someone to check it out before we could depart. I was having a flash back to this same flight- SQ882 18 months ago, which was delayed 1 1/2 hours due to some mechanical problem, though as I was one of only 2 pax in first class on that flight I didn't mind, and I got to watch some workmen go through the manhole under the floor in F

It was checked out, and the capitan soon announced that the part would need to replaced, adn that there would be a delay of about an hour Most of the pax were sleeping by now, including our seat mate in 34A, so there was little complaint in the cabin. A round of water or juice was taken around. It was getting hot in the plane, so I asked our friendly Korean FA if the a/c could be powered up, after all the doors were open, and there was a full 747 to cool down! I could see the Skysuites in F, and saw the FA pouring a glass of Krug Oh why was I back here in Y....

At 0025, we were told that it was getting so hot because the a/c had to be off for the part to be changed, as it was in the hydrolics system, some valve of some sort. It was almost 30C outside, and as hunid as ever in SIN, and with the heat from the pax it was like a sauna.

the main screen movie had been put on by now, but pax were getting restless, as it was so hot. There was only the first water run. After that, we had to ask for iced water individually, though we were still getting checked in on by our own FA ^ The safety cards were getting some use finally though, as fans!

We finally left at 0115, only 1h20m late.

Meals

We both had special meals for this flight. I took Indian Vegetarian, and NR had fruit platter. The resfreshment came around quickly after take off. Mine looked terrible, a small sandwich with GREEN spread- masked lentils I think. It wasn't very good. NR had a nice looking serve of fresh fruit- strawberries, papaya, watermelon and orange wedges. Breakfast was served before landing, and mine was a lentil curry, with parantha. For some reason I also got a croissant, which was nice and hot. NR got more fruit, though not as good a mix as the snack. The other meals were Chive omelet or congee. Both looked good, as people next to us has them. They didn't get a croissant though.

Seat

Old economy, seats were OK, but they should really get rid of the leg rests in Y. There isn't really ehough space to use them anyhow, and they take up a good inch or so of space that is needed by tall people. At 5'3" NR never notices this, but as I am 6'3", every inch in Y is needed.

Arrival

Arrived only an hour late, and had a 10 minute taxi. It took only another 10 minutes to get off. Some pax were really eager to get off, 2 people got up as soonas we hit the ground and were getting their luggage out as were were taxing to the gate. They got as far as the galley, and were told to sit down.

I was really pleased to see a short line at immigration for a change. The arrivals immigration at ICN is the bain of all of my travel. It is rare to be though quickly, and there are never enough foreigners lines open. Resident Alien card holders such as us don't get to use a special line, or the Korean nationals line, which I think might speed things up a little. The short line come to nothing though as the agent was the slowest man I have ever encountered. He flicked though every page of every passport! It took him about 15 minutes to process 6 pax. Through customs without stopping to run to a shuttle to GMP. We had to make the flight so we could get to work!

GMP-USN
OZ6803 737-400
S.T.D/A: 1000-1055
A.T.D/A: 1015-1055

We were on the shuttle by 0845 and at GMP by 0910, a really quick trip over, and ran to C/I for our 0930 flight to USN. Iwas told that there was no 0930 flight! I said that I had booked it online and gave my PNR. The agent told me that I had booked us on the 0930 FROM USN to GMP! She changed us over to the GMP-USN flight quickly, and I only had to pay the discount I had gotten for booking online, a total of US$ for the 2 tickets! ^

Stopped at Starbucks, and went through the ID and security checks. I was pleased to not have to take off my shoes at GMP. This is the first time leaving GMP in about 30 departures that I have left on my shoes. It was just my agent though. At other x-ray machines they were making the foreigners take off their shoes. That is one thing that bugs me about the shoes check at GMP. Over 90% of the time, it is only the foreigners in the line who are told to take of their shoes. The Koreans don't have to do it
I did complain about this one time, and the guard made the Korean man behind me take off his shoes too, and said, "see, it is not only foreigners." Then the next guy left his on!

Anyway, we got to the gate for out all Y flight (OZ phased out domestic J class a couple of years ago). The flight was delayed due to the late arrival of the plane- the crew were walking off as we got there. As we boarded, the gate agents did a deep bow, gave sincere apologies to us that the flights had been delayed and thanked us for flying with OZ- try getting that with a carrier at home for a 15 mintue delay! We left 15 minutes late- what a quick turn around for a 737! The flight was full, we were lucky to get a seat on it. The seat pitch actually seemed the same as the SQ flight that morning! I slept through the whole flight.

I remarked to NR that it was a surprise to have all three levels of QF elite on the flight- I am QF Silver, and I saw tags on the carry on of a QF Gold and QF Platinum. Perhaps in town for the International Whaling Commission meeting?

The plane hit the ground early, and we were in a cab on our way home about 5 minutes later.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Overall:

I really did enjoy KUL again, and we liked the suite at the Le Meridien. Will we use the chain again? Probably not. Though I have lost my SPG Gold status, I think we will stick with them, and then pick hotels that are specail to that city from other chains- eg, the RC in Singapore.

We have a trip to BKK in July/August, and the bonus from paying with a Visa card for the two stays on this trip will give us a free night there at the Le Leridien. That's it from this chain, unless I hear that5 they have improved, or I ever get a free stay

Flights:

SQ service is quite good, though we did get an excellent FA on both long legs- the same one there and back Having been with them twice in Y, and twice in F, I am happy to move over to onewold, and will be doing so for my trips to HKG in July to visit friends, and then our summer vacation with CX in I class. I will get Platinum with AA, and NR Gold, through the challenges. The lounge access, should make our next Y trip to Australia in November with CX a little more doable.

One note- I asked for the miles to go to my Asiana Club account, but only half of the miles went there. The rest went to my SQ account. The first flight on each leg- ICN-SIN, KUL-SIN, went to my OZ account. The second- SIN-KUL, SIN-ICN went to the SQ one. This is due to the fac tthat checked in online, so I have been told, even though I chose the OZ option for miles, and thwen gave that card at CI. The service center in SIN said that they can't change the miles all to OZ, even though it seems to have been their mistake. since I had burnt all of my SQ miles, there are now 3000 sad miles jsut sitting there. The Krisflyer agent said I should write to the Krisflyer manager and explain the situation, and ask for the miles to be moved.

Well, I would like to get some comments about this report. I know it was very long Was it any good? Interesting to read? Comments please....
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:06 am

A good read, thanks for posting! I've heard nothing but bad things about Meridien Changi Village, but am glad to hear that Meridien KL sounds decent as I'll be staying there two nights from now myself! I didn't quite understand your gripe about the handheld shower though? At least I prefer them over anything wall-mounted...
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Wow, great long report.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpatokal
A good read, thanks for posting! I've heard nothing but bad things about Meridien Changi Village, but am glad to hear that Meridien KL sounds decent as I'll be staying there two nights from now myself! I didn't quite understand your gripe about the handheld shower though? At least I prefer them over anything wall-mounted...
I don't mind then as long as there is something else as well- preferably something ceiling mounted, as I am tall. That was the only good thing about the Changi Village- the huge showerhead from the ceiling!

You can check out photos here: ulsantravel.blogspot.com

Last edited by johnkennett; Jun 13, 2005 at 10:43 am Reason: added link
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:58 am
Suspended

Thanks for the report.

I was about to book a night at the LeMeridien Changi Village in Singapore since I dont need to be in the city centre and it costs less than half of what most 4.5 star hotels charge on a weekday. Now I am not too sure whether its money worth saving. The Visa promotion is very tempting though

I agree with you, the KLIA Express is a rip-off. The only reason I take the train is because I dont feel comfortable with the "Airport Limousines" whose drivers seem to have a habit of nodding-off while driving.

From your photographs, I think the Hilton Sentral is nicer than the LeMeridien KUL eventhough I prefer contemporary over modern decor. I would be just as annoyed as you were with the FO agent's "slip up" in restaurant recommendation, but most FO agents do not keep track of restaurant booking status anyway, hence I would be more forgiving if I were you. If you were staying at the Hilton Sentral during the first 6 months of opening, you would most certainly not be able to book a table at the Chinese restaurant where I tried to get a table on 3 seperate occasions but failed. I found the food at the other Hilton restaurant "Sudu" to be too "pretentious" and not representative of real local food.

Did you manage to find a good place for rendang and satay in KL ?

Last edited by mario33; Jun 13, 2005 at 11:01 am
Old Jun 13, 2005, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Mario. In regards to the FO upsell of the restaurant, by itself, it wouldn't have mattered, but with the other problems, it was annoying!

We had satay a few times at different places. I actually liked the satay at Sate King! I know- cheap, but it was quite good.

For rendang, I got some near Times Square- but I'm not sure of the name of the place. I was good, but I'll be on the lookout for something better next time.

If you go to Changi Village, not expecting much, then it might not be too bad, and the 2 stays with Visa promo is good, for getting a stay somewhere nice.

I think that next time in KUL we will stay at the Sheraton Imperial again,as we really liked it.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Great report John. I just did a SIN-KUL-SIN trip on SQ 112 and 119. But I did it in F as it was pretty cheap in S$'s. In F you get a meal with the full set of cutlery (all metal) and crystal, but no Champagne on this flight. Of course you get access to the first class area of the Silver Kris lounge where you can down lots of Champagne before your flight. This lounge at SIN is great. The lounge at KUL isn't that great, but still quite adequate. The FA's really do hustle and they make an effort to memorize the names of all first class passengers. I think there were 4 FA's in first and maybe 30 seats? You can choose any seat during the on line check in process for first class.

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza which I thought was a great hotel in a great location for a great price. 200RM per night with my PC Platinum card got me a corner junior suite with free breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.