FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USN-KUL- My first trip report
View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:44 pm
johnkennett

Programs: AAPlat,QF,SQ,KE ,SPG,OZ
USN-KUL- My first trip report

Well, I have gotten a lot if great information from FT, so I thought I would try and give something back with this trip report! It is my first proper trip report- and is quite long. Please bear with it!

I wanted to surprise my fiancee with a trip, and with the Memorial Day long weekend coming up, I started looking for some cheap tickets. I found well priced tickets from ICN-KUL, via SIN with SQ on their website, so I booked them. I then arranged an extra day off work for both of us, with her boss and co-workers sworn to silence

Friday June 3- I told NR (my fiancee) late on Friday night, after work-"Oh, by the way, we are going to Singapore and Malaysia tomorrow for 4 days!" She was very surprised, and pleased. Lots of brownie points for me!

Sat. June 4

USN-GMP
Korean Air- KE 1608 Seats: 7D/E
Scheduled Time of Departure/Arrival: 1300-1355
Actual Time of Departure/Arrival: 1308-1347

Headed to USN airport, with a quicker than usual 20 minute taxi ride (still only about 7US$). There was no line at the KE check-in, I have yet to see one outside of Chinese New Year. I upgraded our Economy tickets to Business class at the counter for $20US each, simply to be able to get off the plane first. I also took care of the tax on my award flight for next month, since KE closed their USN city office to cut costs.

As we went upstairs to the departure area, I noticed that I had booked my award ticket for the wrong time, as our flights in July have changed to an early CX departure from ICN (so as to be able to complete the AA Platinum Challenge- thanks FT ). I went back down to the C/I desk, and asked them to change the flight from the 1300 flight, to the 0700 flight on the same day. "No problem....sorry about the wait sir...here you are, changed to the 0700 flight. Thank you for flying Korean Air Sir." This whole chage took about 45 seconds- with the apology! The Peak season, O/w domestic flight cost 7500 points.

Through security and ID card checks in a couple of minutes as always- USN airport is very small, with only one flight arriving or departing every 30 minutes. There are only 2 gates one for KE and one for OZ- though both have aerobridges.

Boarding was fast, for this 737-800. J has 2 rows of 2x2, Y has 3x3. The flight was about 3/4 full.

Departure was a little late. The inflight service is polite, with a smile, and VERY basic. There is one trolley- drinks only service. Coffee, tea, juice, Coke or water is offered, in a paper cup- J and Y. Usually, candies are offered, but not today.

KE and OZ domestic services are the same- though the longest domestic flight is 55 minutes, so I don't expect much. Seat pitch is 38" in J, and 29-32" in Y. The overhead bins are as tight a squeeze as the seats!

Arrived early, and taxied to a remote stand- WAY out at the back of GMP. The bus took us to the terminal quickly though, and we were on the shuttle bus to ICN by 1357. The shuttle costs about $4.5 pp- though this is the cheapest one. KE has a shuttle that is $6. We just get which ever one is ready to leave first.

ICN-SIN
Singapore Air- SQ887 Seats: 44A/C
S.T.D/A: 1630-2145
At.D/A: 1645-2113

I had already selected our seats with Internet C/I, and I had managed to score EMEX! Went to Internet C/I counter to get out boarding passes, and was dealt with quickly by the KE groundstaff.

I headed over to AIG to get some travel insurance, and then we went to security and immigration. Though very quickly- though it would have been quicker if people had taken their shoes off in the line, instead of at the x-ray machines .

ICN is such a great airport, though it si made better by the fac tthat we usually have lounge access with KE or CX, in F/J. Today though, just Y, so no lounge

Boarding at Gate 33 started on time at 1600, seemed to go quickly- boarding by rows was enforced today. Looked left on entering to get a glimpse of the Spacebeads, only to see Ultimo seats in J. Couldn't see all the way into F.

NR's RVML (raw vegetarian meal) was confirmed, and hot towels were given, followed by headsets.

The menu came around, and was for dinner:

Appitizer: Marinated Prawns with Crispy Romaine Lettuce.

Main courses: Pan fried fish steak served with tomato pesto butter, melted leek and potato ragout.
OR
Dak Jchim- Korean style braised chicken with muchrooms, spiced vegetables and steamed rice.

Cheese and Crackers

Dessert: Ice Cream

Roll and butter.

I took the Dak Jchim, and I knew what to expect. This dish has been served to me out of ICN a number of times with SQ, KE and CX, in both Y and J. Pehaps there was a bulk order of frozen chicken at the caterers? I don't know why there was chicken or fish though- what about some red meat

NR's raw vegetarian meal looked great, and she was glad I had picked it. usually in Y she orders the fruit plate- she doesn't like to eat much on the plane, and doesn't like meat all that much anyway. I wish I had ordered on for myself. The chicken tasted better than it looked, though since it looked like vomit, that was easy! Our table leant on an uncomfortable slope down, so it was hard to eat. The portions seem smaller than previously, though as my last SQ Y flight was 2 years ago, so it is possible.

There were quite a few rounds with the drinks cart, through the whole flight, and the Korean FA in the jump seat across from us was nice, making sure we were well served though the whole flight. Our favorite Korean ice-cream was served, 9-9 ice cream. Chocolate, caramel sauce, marshmellow and peanuts.....

There was not AVOD on this 777-200, so I had to try and jump in to get the movies on the cycle. I watched Robots and The Wedding Date. NR watched The Wedding Date and The Pacificer. Unimpressed with all of the movies, and Krisworld- a lot of static and a jumpy picture.

We arrived at SIN early, at 2113, with a 10 minute taxi to F31. We were off the plane and through immigration by 2140.

We then stopped at the ATM to get some SIN$ to catch a cab to our hotel: Le Meridien Changi Village... (next installment- sorry that this is so long! Let me know if you want to read the rest of the trip )