Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Pampered across the Pacific. San Francisco-Chennai UA/OZ/SQ/TG in first class.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pampered across the Pacific. San Francisco-Chennai UA/OZ/SQ/TG in first class.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2005, 8:06 pm
Suspended

I am always extremely surprise how passengers can behave the way they do on planes (like in the example you gave with the gentleman behind you and his bloody carry-on luggage).

I guess there are still a lot of individuals who feel that just because they paid a couple thousand more than everyone else, that they have the right to treat everyone and anyone with disrespect and rudeness... .
Old Mar 11, 2005, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD
MAA-CMB-BKK-KBV-BKK / S2-TG / Business Class

The odyssey continues ...

As I said in my last post, check-in at Chennai was very efficient. There was a ticket check at the door so that only ticketed passengers could enter the terminal. Air Sahara had two counters open for Business Royale check-in, and there was nobody in line. The agent noted that I had two carryon bags, and said that normally they only permitted one, but since the flight was not full, I could take both. She popped out a boarding pass and gave me an invitation to the Le Meridien Lounge airside. She was unable to through check me out of Colombo, which was not a problem since I had 2 hours.

It appears that all of the premium lounges at Chennai are operated by the hotels. There was Le Meridien, where I was since it is the lounge used by Air Sahara, and also an Inter-Continental (I think) and a Sheraton Lounge. Since I had stayed in the Towers Level at the Sheraton, I could have used the Sheraton Lounge at the airport, but I didn't have enough time to check it out. Once in the Le Meridien Lounge, the waiter asked if I would like a beverage and snack, which I accepted. You are only allowed one round for free, then you have to pay if you want more. I only had 30 minutes until boarding, so that wasn't a problem. I had a gin and tonic (Gordon's again ) and a rather tasty curried chicken sandwich. I left the lounge 40 minutes prior to departure to stop by the Duty Free, where I bought another bottle of Scotch, the rather unpleasant details of which I'll get to later. I also bought some tea for a friend back home.

S2 541 MAA-SIN
Seat 2A / Business Class / 737-400
Scheduled: 2200-2350
Actual: 2205-2345

What a surprise! I loved Air Sahara! My last experience (years ago) on an Indian carrier was aboard Indian Airlines, and left MUCH to be desired. Air Sahara is one of the carriers that has started up since derugulation, and they appear to be doing everything right. There was a general boarding announcement 25 minutes prior to departure, and it proceeded in an orderly fashion. Hand baggage was restricted to one per person, and this made it quick and easy to board the 737. When you put your bag through the xray machine, they put a tag on it with a red stamp saying that it had been screened. They had an additional screening in the jetway where each carryon was checked for the red stamp, and some were subject to a random hand search. There were also another couple of security personnel near the aircraft door scanning the passengers. I remember security being tight for every other flight I've ever taken in India, and this was no exception.

I was greeted at the door by a flight attendant and shown to seat 2A. He helped me stow my roll-aboard in the overhead bin, and offered me a pre-departure drink, which I declined. He then came back with a hot towel and a selection of newspapers and magazines. Only one other passenger boarded in Business Royale out of 16 available seats. Two employees got on at the last minute. The seating in Business Royale was 2X2, and there were four rows. The seat pitch was a generous 40 inches (I'm guessing) and the blue leather seats had decent recline as well as a footrest.

We pushed back from the gate a couple of minutes late and taxied straight to the runway. So quickly in fact that the safety demo became a very abbreviated version. As we were turning onto the runway, the first officer came on and welcomed everyone aboard. She said that flying time would be 53 minutes, and asked the flight attendants to be seated. There ensued a mad dash for jump seats as we began our take-off roll. One flight attendant was moving from the galley to her jumpseat just as we lifted off the ground!

The seatbelt sign went off immediately after take-off as we climbed through a bumpy evening sky over Chennai, the curtain behind Business Royale was drawn shut, and service began. I was offered a beverage along with some roasted cashews. Then asked if I would prefer vegetarian or non vegetarian for my meal this evening. What? Meal? On a 53 minute flight? I smelled food from the galley, but had assumed it was for the crew who did a turn at Colombo and flew back to Chennai that night (then on to Bangalore and New Delhi as I found out.) The flight attendant said the non-veg was chicken, but it didn't sound as if he was sure, so I went veggie. Ten minutes later I was presented with a tray containing my meal. The vegetarian option turned out to be a mild curry with carrots, peas and okra, along with some rice pilaf. There was a small fruit salad and some sort of creamy dessert that had a sesame flavor. Warm bread (naan and dinner rolls) were offered. The meal wasn't the greatest, but it certainly garners an A+ for effort on such a short hop. Coffee or tea, or an after dinner drink were offered prior to landing.

I am completely sold on Air Sahara! The level of service reminded of the days when US carriers used to do the same thing on shorthaul flights.

Arrived at the usual remote stand in Colombo. All stands are remote at the moment. There doesn't appear to have been much progress on the new terminal since I was there in November last year. I proceeded upstairs to the flight connections counter staffed by Sri Lankan Airlines, where the agent printed my boarding pass for my Thai Airways flight to Bangkok. I asked about lounge access, and was told to go to the Palm Tree Restaurant. They didn't have any invitations, but would have the Thai ticket counter call up to the lounge and let them know I was coming. My, my, I did feel important, with my arrival being "announced" and all! True to their word, I was greeted by name when I walked into the lounge, and offered a cold towel and a beverage and/or snack. Very nice. Colombo airport was hot, and so was the lounge. It was also hopping at that time of the night with so many flights departing. I believe that Cathay Pacific and/or Malaysia Airlines used the same lounge for their passengers as well as Thai. Hence the crowds. I sweated in the lounge for a little over an hour, then proceeded downstairs to clear security and go to the gate. Boarding was announced by row numbers from the rear of the aircraft forward, and Royal Excutive Class passengers were asked to wait until economy had finished boarding before they were called to board. This took only about 15 minutes.

All four of us that were left in the departure area boarded our own private bus and were driven out to our waiting aircraft.

To be continued shortly ...

Last edited by sftrvlr; Mar 14, 2005 at 4:51 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Mar 11, 2005, 4:00 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by sftrvlr
Arrived at the usual remote stand in Chennai.
I assume you mean Colombo, and not just a quick return to Chennai. Consider this a compliment, as it shows how intently I am reading your report!

Why did you get invited to the Le Meridien lounge if you stayed at Sheraton? Are the lounges in Chennai jointly sponsored by hotels and airlines?
Old Mar 14, 2005, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I assume you mean Colombo, and not just a quick return to Chennai. Consider this a compliment, as it shows how intently I am reading your report!

Why did you get invited to the Le Meridien lounge if you stayed at Sheraton? Are the lounges in Chennai jointly sponsored by hotels and airlines?
Thank you for catching that! I fixed it to reflect remote stand at Colombo.

The lounges at Chennai airport all seem to be run by the major hotel chains. Air Sahara used the Le Meridien Lounge. Sheraton also operates a lounge, but I can't remember which airlines contract with Sheraton at Chennai Airport (although there was a sign outside the Sheraton lounge.) I did not see any "airline" lounges. Just lounges operated by hotels.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

CMB-BKK-KBV-BKK / TG / Royal Executive Class

Continuing from Colombo ...

TG308 CMB-BKK
Seat 12K / Royal Executive Class / A300-600
Scheduled: 0150-0610
Actual: 0150-0550

Unfortunately, Thai still operates nasty old Airbus A300-600s to/from Colombo, with the ancient Royal Executive (business) Class configuration. The seat pitch and recline are about the same as a US carrier in domestic first class, which is to say, not much. And I don't know if it's just me, but I always feel that Thai Airways flight attendants are so grumpy on mid and long haul flights. Domestically, they seem fine. Perhaps they know how bad their product is compared to most Asian carriers, although it probably has more to do more with working for a state run airline. They aren't rude or anything like that, but it just appears to be such an effort for them to provide much of a service, let alone provide it with a smile.

There were only four of us in the forward business class cabin, and nobody in the second cabin. We were nicely spaced out so nobody was near anyone else, which certainly made for a sense of privacy. The captain announced that due to favorable winds, our flight time would be a very short 2 hours and 55 minutes. Good. The sooner I'm off this thing, the better. Not only are we flying around South Asia at some God awful hour, but I'm stuck on a Thai A300-600 from yester-year. I was rather surprised that they offered a meal service:

DINNER COLOMBO - BANGKOK

First course
Crab meat terrine, Chicken Galantine, Waldorf Salad

Main course
Steamed salmon with concasse, lentil and vegetable ragout
or
Chicken Masala, kesari rice with cashew nuts, mixed vegetable curry

Assorted breads, biscuits, butter

Dessert
Brownie cake

Tea, coffee, espresso, cappuccino

The wines on offer that night included Fleur de Champagne Duval-LeRoy, Chateau Hanteillan Haut Medoc 2000, 2001 Penfolds Bin 407, Bourgogne Vezelay 2001 and Saint Veran 2001.

I was offered something to drink after take-off, and asked for a gin and tonic. It was served with some cashew nuts. If he put any gin in it, I certainly couldn't taste it. Dinner orders were taken at the same time. I wasn't going to sleep very well in the uncomfortable seat, so I ordered dinner. I have yet to have a decent meal on Thai Airways, and this was no exception. The meal was all on one tray, and was really rather revolting. The appetizer was nearly frozen, and tasteless. The main course (I had the chicken) was pretty much inedible. Overcooked chicken and dried out rice. Yuck! I didn't bother with dessert. I was not offered an after dinner beverage. In fact, the trays were removed, the galley curtain closed, and there was no service for the duration of the flight until the cabin lights came on for landing. Not even water. A movie showed on the main screen. I listened to some music and managed to dose for an hour or two. Prior to landing in Bangkok, a variety of fruit juices, coffee and tea were offered. We landed early and were at the gate 20 minutes ahead of schedule.

I cleared immigration quickly, and made the long slog over to the domestic terminal to check in for my leg to Krabi. There were four positions open for domestic business class check-in, and no lines. I had a boarding pass and was seated in the domestic Royal Executive Lounge by 630AM. There was a selection of juices, soft drinks, coffee, tea, etc., along with some breakfast pastries and fresh fruit plates. The lounge has a "VIP" entrance to the security check-point where my bags were xrayed and my passport checked. Boarding for the Krabi flight commenced 20 minutes prior to departure. There was no call for advance boarding for business class passengers.

TG249 BKK-KBV
Seat 14A / Royal Executive Class / 737-400
Scheduled: 0805-0925
Actual: 0815-1005

Thai configures their domestic 737s with 12 seats in business class. Three rows of 2X2. The entire aircraft was full. The seat pitch in Royal Executive Class must be around 34 inches since my knees were touching the seat in front of me. The flight attendants were pleasant. Pre-departure beverages consisted of water or iced tea, as well as a towel. We waited in line behind about 10 aircraft before taking off, and this took almost 45 minutes. Hence the late arrival into Krabi. A hot breakfast tray was delivered to each passenger. It contained a bizarre east-west combination of a cheese omelet and steamed rice, as well as a small bowl of fresh fruit and a croissant. True to form, this catering attempt did nothing to enhance my opinion of the food on TG. In contrast to my last flight however, service was continuous and friendly, re-enforcing my opinion that grumpiness if confined to mid and long haul crews.

Krabi does not have jetways at the moment, although a brand new terminal is under construction, so this will probably change in the near future. Stairs were driven up to both the front and rear doors of the aircraft, so we disembarked quickly, and walked to the terminal in bright morning sunshine. My driver from the Sheraton met me outside baggage claim, and a scenic 45 minutes later, I was greeted by name with a flower necklace, a cold towel and a glass of chilled coconut milk. Yet again, I received a room upgrade to a deluxe room near the pool, and was driven there in a golf cart. A quick shower and I was napping by the pool for the rest of the day. Pure bliss.

The following two days all blurred into a long, relaxing stay at a lovely hotel, with an incredible staff that provided genuine warmth and Thai hospitality. The Sheraton Krabi Beach Resort is HIGHLY recommended. The only slightly disconcerting thing I noticed was that there were security guards stationed at all the public entrances to the property (including along the beach.) The car that drove me from the airport was thoroughly inspected before being allowed to enter the property. This included opening the trunk, as well as a mirror search underneath the vehicle. Not sure what all that's about. Perhaps there have been threats to US (or perceived US) targets in Southern Thailand?

I reluctantly left the Sheraton Krabi Beach Resort to travel back to Bangkok after three wonderful days. The hotel suggested I be picked up three (!) hours prior to departure. I talked them into two hours since it had only taken us 45 minutes to get from the airport to the hotel. I was deposited at the Krabi Airport 115PM for my 230PM departure. There was a dedicated business class line with two passengers in front of me. I was called over by an economy class agent who was free, and checked in immediately. She made me put by roll-aboard onto the scale, then proceeded to tell me that it was too heavy for carry-on, and that it would need to be checked. I told her that I had carried it onto every Thai flight I've ever flown on, and that it had never been a problem before. She called a supervisor, who looked, frowned, and said it was OK. There is no lounge for premium customers at Krabi, so you are given a voucher for the airport restaurant, which is good for Coke, Seven-Up or water. I hadn't eaten breakfast, so ordered a bowl of fried rice as well as a beer, since it was lunch time. The waitress simply could not get it through her head that I was willing to PAY for the meal and beer. She just kept telling me that my voucher was no good! We eventually got it sorted out, and I enjoyed my meal and beer overlooking the runway. Not that there were any planes, since there are only 4 flights per day into Krabi these days. Our aircraft landed at about the time we were supposed to depart. I watched the passengers get off, then went downstairs through security to the boarding area. Again boarding was announced without any pre-boarding for business class. Boarding was via the front and rear of the aircraft and was speedy. We departed only about 20 minutes late.

TG248 KBV-BKK
Seat 11B / Royal Executive Class / 737-400
Scheduled: 1430-1550
Actual: 1450-1605

Seat 11B is the bulkhead aisle seat in business class, and has about six inches more leg room than the other two rows. Pre-departure beverages and towels were offered. We taxied the length of the runway (there are no taxiways in Krabi), made a u-turn, and took off. A drinks service was offered, along with some hot snacks. Thai does not serve alcohol on domestic flights. The hot snacks were mini puff pastries filled with curried vegetables. Fine, but nothing to write home about. The flight passed quickly, and I was soon on the ground in Bangkok and into the (thankfully short) cab line outside domestic arrivals. A relatively traffic-free 45 minute ride later, I was checking into the Westin Grande Sukhumvit. My luck held out, and I was upgraded to a nice corner room on the 20th floor with a view towards Siam Square. Not that I could see much through the afternoon smog, but it was still a nice view as the lights came on in the Big Mango. Met a friend for a fabulous dinner at a restaurant called Mahanaga. The temperature was in the lower 70s that evening, which is the coolest I've ever been in Bangkok, and a nice change from the normal sweaty weather. A wonderful dinner, followed by a drink or three on Soi Cowboy, and it was time to ensconce myself in my Heavenly Bed for four hours sleep before waking up at 430AM to catch my United flight to Narita and home.

The last leg(s) coming soon ...
Old Mar 14, 2005, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
The really sick thing is that I am enjoying reading this, and I fully understand why the OP would do this.

We all need help, and lots of it.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 7:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
What a great trip sftrvlr
Old Mar 14, 2005, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Lots of details, loved it.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 9:56 pm

Indian airlines rock

Wow, all these Indian carriers sound great and I am surprised to hear that Sahara Air or Air Sahara is good as well as Jet Airways. I guess only IC seems to be behind... But hopefully the new breed of LCC in India will not change this service soon.

Thanks for the report so far... I love the menu transcript... Sorry to hear the TG food ordeal. I only flew HKG-BKK-HKG-TPE-HKG in TG J... they are fine, despite lacking some variety... Same menu three years in a row...

Thanks and look forward to the rest of the report!

Carfield
Old Mar 16, 2005, 1:28 am
Community Director Emerita

sftrvlr, you've made me glad that I've switched to Sri Lankan Airlines from Thai when I fly ex-CMB. Who knows how the seat comfort and food quality will compare with Thai, but if it should be as bad (God forbid), at least I'll be flying at a more civilized time of day.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
sftrvlr, you've made me glad that I've switched to Sri Lankan Airlines from Thai when I fly ex-CMB. Who knows how the seat comfort and food quality will compare with Thai, but if it should be as bad (God forbid), at least I'll be flying at a more civilized time of day.
That was a good choice! Sri Lankan is managed by Emirates, so I'm sure it will be much better than Thai. Plus it's a day flight, which is sooooooooo much more bearable than a redeye!
Old Mar 16, 2005, 3:33 pm

Programs: AC *Gold
Great trip report! Enjoyed reading every part of it! ^
Old Mar 16, 2005, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

BKK-NRT-SFO / UA / First Class

The final legs of my journey home entailed the usual oh-dark-thirty wake-up call at the Westin, rousing me from my heavenly, Heavenly Bed . A quick shower to wake up and I was out the front door at 5AM and into a cab. Had to be quite insistent that the driver use the meter, but finally got him to comply after opening the door halfway down Sukhumvit Road and telling him I was going to get out. There was no traffic on the expressway at that hour of the morning, and I was at Don Muang at 525AM. The line for checked baggage screening for United looked to have around 100 people in it, but I only had carry-on, so walked straight to the first class check-in line. A passport check and one systemwide upgrade later, I was buying my departure tax coupon for 500 Baht and headed to passport control. Why can't they just put this tax on the ticket like most other countries? It's such a pain to have to remember to keep 500 Baht in your wallet until you leave the country. The friend I had dinner with the night before said it goes straight into the pockets of government officials . I didn't have enough time to check out the fabulous new Thai first class lounge, so stepped into the Red Carpet Club for some coffee before heading to the gate. Boarding was called at 625AM.

UA882 BKK-NRT
Seat 2J / United First Suite / 747-400
Scheduled: 0700-1435
Actual: 0750-1430

Things didn't get off to the best start with the matron manning the doorway at 1L. I was in seat 2J, and she directed me to turn immediately left into first class, then cross over to my seat once I was in the cabin (she didn't say it that specifically, but pointed to the aisle.) I obviously wasn't paying enough attention and proceeded to walk through the galley where I planned to turn left and head up to my seat. I was then shouted at ... loudly, "SIR! You can reach your seat this way!" (she's pointing to the port-side aisle where she is standing.) Oh well, too late now. I was almost at my seat. Can't quite figure out why my way of getting to my seat didn't meet with her approval since the galley was empty and the aisle to my seat was clear. Maybe it was a control thing. Of course I paid for my insubordination later with the last meal choice in the cabin for breakfast.

Pillow, blanket, headset and menu were all placed in the suite. I stowed my roll-aboard in the overhead and sat down. Pre-departure water, juice or champagne was offered in the usual plastic cups. Magazines and newspapers were also offered. I noticed how worn the United First Suite product is starting to look. Scuff marks all over the place, and just rather dingy looking overall. Certainly not my beautiful sky throne from a week earlier on Singapore Airlines. The captain came on to announce that we would be late leaving due to a delay in loading some cargo, then the fact that we would need the ground crew to manually start the engines, but that the flying time to Narita would be an unusually fast 4 hours, 30 minutes, so we would be arriving on time. We pushed back about 45 minutes late, engine start and taxi took only a few minutes, and we were off to Narita. About 30 minutes after takeoff a beverage service was offered and breakfast orders were taken. I was the last to be asked, but my choice (Asian breakfast) was available.

BREAKFAST BANGKOK-TOKYO

To Begin
Your selected entree will be served with fresh fruit, cold cereals, fruit yogurt and breakfast breads.

Main Course
Fluffy vegetable omelette croissandwich
Vegetable omelette of onions and bell peppers with shiitake mushrooms, tomatoes and a croissant
or
Scrambled egg muffin
Smoked salmon rosette with creamy scrambled eggs and dill sour cream on a toasted muffin

Above entrees accompanied by your choice of rosti potatoes, grilled bacon, chicken sausage and herbed tomato

or
French toast with mixed berry coulis
Roasted pineapple wedge and caramelized lemon zest
or
Spicy Thai noodles in egg wrap
Rice noodles with shrimp, tofu, tamarind and chili sauce

Prior to arrival
Pasta carbonara with Parmesan cheese
Egg noodles in a rich cream sauce with smoked bacon
or
Grilled prawns with a tomato relish
Herbed mushroom and pepper salad

Desssert
Chocolate eclair
Fruit tartlet

The wine selection included Laurent-Perrier Brut Millesime 1996, Edna Valley California Chardonnay 2003, Reserve de la Contesse Pauillac 1997 and Foley Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir.

The Pad Thai noodles were very good. I settled in to watch "Anchorman" on the personal video.

About an hour after the breakfast service had been completed, the flight attendants came around and said that due to anticipated turbulence during descent and landing in Narita, the captain had asked them to offer the second meal service at this time. Nobody ate. True to his word, the captain asked the cabin crew to be seated about an hour before landing at Tokyo, and it was an extremely bumpy descent through thick overcast into Narita. There were no arrival delays that day, and we docked at the terminal instead of a remote stand. I was off, through security, and into the lovely first class lounge within ten minutes.

Last leg is coming soon ...
Old Mar 17, 2005, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Great trip report! Look forward to its conclusion.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Indeed! I just read start to finish-thus-far and I'm going to be late into the office this morning...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.