Reload this Page >

My "Big Treat" LHR-SIN-NRT-AKL-LAX-LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My "Big Treat" LHR-SIN-NRT-AKL-LAX-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2004, 3:03 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Smile Good luck with the upgrade!

NZ's Asian flights are generally easier to upgrade on than their US flights, so you may well be in with a chance. Your flight is operated by a 744, which is configured as 3 class but only sold as 2 class - if you do get the upgrade, it's worth making a play for one of the F seats, whereas if you don't then you might at least be able to get one of the C seats (I think the main deck C seats are sold as Y). Asking nicely certainly can't hurt!

Re customs in NZ, you're unlikely to get quite such a grilling *unless* you're attempting to bring any food items in - NZ is *extremely* strict about this, and all incoming luggage is x-rayed for organic items.

As for the weather - yes, by the sound of it you'll need your winter clothes there too! I'm headed to NZ (South Island) on Thursday so I'm hoping that summer will at least put in a fleeting experience. If not, then a few antioxidant glasses of good NZ wine will dull the pain...

Last edited by mad_atta; Dec 20, 2004 at 3:05 pm
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Ooh, now that's a nice thought

Thanks for this, mad_atta, I had no idea that it was only sold as two class. I will certainly try and get one of those seats but comfort myself with a C seat in Y if all else fails. You are a star. I have a lounge cert too, so will making the most of that!

Actually I think you have answered my Q on the NZ board, I might try and change my route AKL-LAX so that it is via CHC as that flight still has C availability and the direct is completely full.

Yes, NZ is strict about food isn't it? Can't say I blame them though, have to protect the eco system. Auckland was the first place I ever saw bags x-rayed for food, a very good idea. I only have chocolate for the children which hasn't been a problem before so here's hoping.

The last three trips I did to NZ (two at Christmas and one in July) blessed me with excellent weather so I guess it's about time I experienced a unpredictabillity my sister often speaks about. I shall be doing a dance to the sun god at noon NRT time though, so if anyone wants to join in :-)

Cheers
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Ooh, now that's a nice thought

Duplicate message

Last edited by ecco66; Dec 20, 2004 at 7:47 pm Reason: Dupe
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Tokyo by night - and by sunshine!

Tokyo Adventures Part Two

What a delicious meal I had last night in the Blue Sky restaurant. The views were breathtaking and I enjoyed the 360 degree rotation.

After a bowl of hot and sour soup (my absolute favourite) and some egg rolls, I hit the mains with gusto. Spicy fried noodles, beef in oyster sauce, kung po chicken and special fried rice all washed down with two beers set me up for the evening.

A few bows and a quick return to my room and Skype calls to friends back home, I then ventured out once more, this time wanting to check the local surroundings. I found myself in streets full of restaurants with people enjoying the evening and it was wonderful to experience all the sights and sounds.

One thing remarkable about Tokyo is the fact that there are so many security guards everywhere - and many of them wear what I would recognise as the crash helmets of the British riot police. Not that I could ever imagine any riots going on here of course.

The Starbucks coffee shop was rammed, as was - surprisingly - a pizza place which was serving decidedly unappetising looking concoctions but as we all know, "authentic" food is often adjusted to the local taste and everyone seemed to be tucking in so it couldn't have been that bad.

I found a little karaoke bar which of course I could not resist. After ordering a beer (well pointing and nodding) I listened to Japanese renditions of what I don't know, and then three very pretty young ladies got up to sing "I Will Survive" in lovely Engrish. Gloria Gaynor eat your heart out. I did strike me as an odd song to choose given the culture here, but perhaps that was why. Huge fun though.

Never one to keep still for long (hence my aisle seat preference) I set off once more. There are an awful lot of designer boutiques in this part of the city with prices to match. After about a 45 minute walk I found myself back on the road to the hotel and, being around 11.30, I figured it was time to return. I had another of those delicious lemon squashes in the bar overlooking the garden, how pretty it looks at night, and then retired for the evening.

I woke at 7, with no need for the alarm I had set for 8 and after showering and making green tea a roll of the blinds confirmed that my gamble had paid off. Much more sunshine today, perfect for taking in the Japanese garden.

I had eggs and toast for breakfast with coffee (WOW - the strongest coffee I have ever had and much more of that and I would be able to swim to Auckland) and, after bowing about 8 times to the myriad of waiting staff, I paid my bill and headed for the garden.

It was hard to take in that I was in the centre of Tokyo. This is such a tranquil oasis I am sure it's one of the main selling points of the hotel. Wonderful winter colours, I stood on the bridge over the stream taking in the views from all sides. The only slight downer is that on one side you do feel somewhat in a fish bowl given that the bar and brasserie overlooks, but hey - a minor detail in the scheme of things.

I arranged for a late check out with reception. Not cheap (30% of the room bill) but I am not scrimping on this trip at all and promised myself I would do what pleases me - and this pleases me!!

I returned to my room to write postcards (this hotel is so big it even has its own post office) and check messages. A big thanks to mad_atta (see above) for his advice. I am almost drooling at the thought of the flight - especially as it is still showing open in C.

My friendly limousine is booked for 2.30, which should have me at Narita just after 3.30. The Auckland flight does not leave until 6.30 which will give me plenty of time for gadget window shopping (I really am going to try NOT to buy any) and the enjoyment of the International Lounge, as I still have my two *A lounge access certs. I'd always planned on using them here and in AKL and in many ways it feels strange that I am now getting to see that plan come to fruition.

Now, I may be a tad behind on my next update when I arrive in NZ. My sister lives in a place called Kaukapakapa, on the top of a hill in the middle of nowhere. Way too remote for me, but whatever floats your boat…

The remoteness means she only has a 56k connection and whilst I will still be able to post, it probably won't be as quick as I would normally. Be assured though, you will be hearing how I got on before long.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback - I am enjoying this trip hugely and I am delighted to be able to share it.

Until New Zealand then, signing off for now.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep it up!

I too am welcoming you to FT, I am sure you'll spend (waste?) many hours here like a lot of us do!
Fabulous report. ^
I'm glad you 're enjoying the trip..hope you had a very smooth flight to NZ!

I am doing a very similar Master's degree to what you studied (which uni BTW?)...bleedin' CIPD...done the same stuff before at regular uni....Maybe I should start planning a RTW for when I finish
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:21 am
Original Poster

CIPD is a four letter word!

graraps,i sympathise.Although I did an MA it is li nked to the CIPD and I am awaiting my exam results  - one of the reasons I decided to get away!

what year are you in? Of course having an MA means  nothing without those dang CIPD qualifications if  you really want to get on!Good luck!
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Upgraded and away!

Just a quick note to let you all know that my upgr ade came through!  However Miss Yoneda had real tr ouble with it (I will explain more in my
next report) but seat 18B is mine so I am looking  forward to fine food 
and copious antioxidants!!

cheers for now from Narita (from someone having re al trouble with a 
keyboard which keeps lapsing into Japanese charact ers)!!
Old Dec 21, 2004, 4:11 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Hmmmm... I think I found your previous instalments more interesting than the last two, ecco66! (Or am I the only person for whom the last 2 entries are just appearing as a series of squares...?)

Anyway, here's hoping that was you posting from the lounge in NRT saying that you got one of those sought-after F seats! ^ Hope you're having a good flight, anyway.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can read proper latin characters, just the spacing is a bit odd!
Congrats on getting upgraded, that should make for a nice flt!

Originally Posted by ecco66

what year are you in? Of course having an MA means  nothing without those dang CIPD qualifications if  you really want to get on!Good luck!
I'm in the first year but not particularly happy about the whole situation since I finished a BA in HRM in 2003 and have yet to find a job (or to be precise more than a week-long temp assignment) in HR.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Interesting read, great effort.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 2:27 pm

Ah, now on my work PC I can read it. Great to hear you got the upgrade! ^ I hope NZ's service lived up to its usually excellent self...
Old Dec 21, 2004, 2:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I'm just seeing squares from those 2 posts (and any quoted replies). What do I need to do to be able to read them?
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Smile Kia Ora from Aotearoa!

Tokyo and on to Auckland

After checking mail and much postcard writing it was time to make efficient use of my last couple of hours. I went down to the Packing & Mailing Desk to get some stamps. Mrs Koizumi was behind the desk, I purchased my stamps but she offered to take care of everything as I had already written the cards. Is there nothing these lovely people won’t do for me?

I decided to have tea in the Garden Lounge. Actually, it’s called “Delightful Tea” in that lounge. Armed with my copy of the Japan Times I enjoyed three wonderful cups of tea plus a salmon sandwich before one final walk through the Japanese garden and the local surroundings just so that I could drink in the atmosphere again.

Returning to my room, I called the porters to ask for someone to come and assist with my bags. Within a few minutes, Mr Kuzama was loading the bags. He explained that he would take them directly down to the limousine waiting area and gave me a receipt. What efficiency! I gave Mr Kuzama a tip – which he said he didn’t expect but I still wanted to give – and then spied Mrs Tanaka who has been my housekeeper here. Knowing she did not speak any English, I asked Mr Kuzama to give her my tip and explain what it was and he of course obliged.

Mrs Tanaka broke out into a beaming smile as she was handed the money, then turned to face me with her face turning solemn once more. She bowed so deep that I thought she would either knock her head on the carpet or snap herself in two, and that was the way she stayed until I walked past her. For a lady in her advancing years she is certainly very lithe.

As expected the Friendly Limousine arrived on time and loading took only moments. We stopped at two other hotels on the way but our load was light with only about 15 people on the entire bus.

The bus journey to NRT is not very exciting, but then not many airport journeys are once you get out of the city. However, I did spot something which I had seen on the way in put had thought I was mistaken so had dismissed it. We were in slow moving traffic and in the lane next to us there was a large truck with a small satellite dish on top. As we approached the cab I looked in to see a TV showing some Japanese game show, which the driver was watching while waiting for the traffic to move! I had originally on my way in thought that it must have been a traffic master but no, he had one of those too.

As we approached the entrance to Narita, on came a security guard asking us to show our passports. She even checked the (open) toilet lest there were any stowaways having their butts intimately jet washed.

I arrived at terminal 1 and made my way to the NZ counters. There were only three people in front of me so I didn’t have long to wait. Handing over my ticket, passport and upgrade voucher I waited… and waited… and waited. My wonderful check in agent had real trouble with the voucher, and after leaving the desk, apologising to me, bowing and then running to the supervisor she was soon back doing exactly the same but in reverse order. This process was repeated three times until Miss Mitsubishi, supervisor, came over to help. She asked if I wanted an aisle or window and then acted on my (predictable) reply. Out popped an economy boarding pass for 39B. <Sigh>, perhaps it just isn’t my day. However, Miss Mitsubishi then got out her little book of rules, and after a few attempts and many animated conversations with our check in agent she ripped up the boarding pass and produced one in Business in 18B. Ah, the goddess upgradia came through. I was given a map on how to get to the two lounges on offer, and an invitation was included on my boarding card so I knew I would not have to use up one of my lounge vouchers. This is going to be enjoyable.

Now I did toy with going upstairs and doing some shopping, but the line through security was very long and I just wanted to enjoy the lounges so through I went! In Narita, they call this the “anti-terrorism and aggression security check” – just so that everyone is clear what it is about, then! They do have a way with English in Japan. No problems at all and within a few minutes I was through security and passport control.

First stop was the Yahoo lounge to share my news with you all. I was assured by the receptionist that it would not be a problem, but I had a real battle with the PC so apologies to all of you who couldn’t read the messages. I checked my emails quickly. Goodness me! My friend, with whom I am staying in San Pedro, CA, was due to travel to Paris between Christmas and New Year. However the trip has been cancelled and as they have no more trips planned until April they went to the airport and gifted me a SWU for my LAX-LHR flight! Can this day get any sweeter? Thanks, mate!

I decided to visit the Akasa lounge first, it being the nearest. Good choice. Apart from a German family of four, the lounge was empty so I got myself settled and then went to the bar for an excellent Bloody Mary (well it would be excellent considering I made it myself) and some rice crackers. For the first time in what seemed ages the piped muzak was not seasonal, but I did get to hear renditions of 24 Hours from Tulsa (which I mentally changed to 14 Hours from Auckland) and Heartbreak Hotel, so I guess there was an Elvis theme going on. I picked up a copy of the International Herald Tribune and enjoyed.

After three Bloody Marys (well, it would be rude not to, wouldn’t it?) it was approaching 5.45, and with boarding at 6.10 I wanted to see what the other lounge was like. I hopped on the shuttle train to the satellite and then popped in. It was very busy so I made the right initial choice. I quick plate of crackers and two large glasses of water and it was time to board...

Last edited by ecco66; Jan 7, 2005 at 12:09 am
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

NZ Business

As I approached they opened the Business Class line for boarding so with unusually good timing I breezed through and was first to board this 747-400, through door A. I was greeted by a very friendly crew, deposited my now ridiculously large collection of carry on baggage and settled into my seat.

My crew this evening were to be Abbie and Ruth, and Abbie soon came along with champagne, water and orange juice. Naturally I chose the champagne. Boarding was surprisingly rapid (the flight was not full). I was soon joined by my seat mate – a lovely French lady who was on her way from Paris to Auckland. Boarding was completed very quickly and after a top up of champagne Abbie was around to collect our glasses for take off.

I’d forgotten how quiet at 747 can be when you are so far in front of the engines. Within about 10 minutes we were winging our way south towards Australasia. The seat belt sign was turned off very quickly (we were still at a fairly steep angle) and, after all those Bloody Marys and champagne, I made a quick trip to the toilet. Air New Zealand has a nice range of toiletries – moisturisers and the like – so I knew I would make use of them later.

Abbie distributed our menus (both for dinner and breakfast) and I licked my lips in anticipation, as I know the feedback from FTers has always been excellent with regards to Air New Zealand dining.

---
Air New Zealand is proud to present our award-winning Business Class inflight dining experience. Our service is designed in consultation with a team of contributing chefs, including Tony Adcock of Auckland’s famous Harbourside Restaurant. Inspired by the produce and flavours of New Zealand, the emphasis of our service is on freshness and innovative cuisine. We hope you enjoy today’s service.

Dinner from Tokyo to Christchurch

---

Appetiser

Lobster and wasabi mayonnaise with octopus and Japanese omelette

---

Main Course

Prime beef fillet steak with Madeira sauce, rosemary potatoes and seasonal vegetables

Herb and mustard chicken breast with olive Napolitaine sauce, orecchiette pasta, parmesan, eggplant and courgettes

Traditional Japanese dish of simmered sea bream with salmon flaked rice croquettes and vegetables

Miso soup and Japanese pickles to complement your meal choice

---

Dessert

Caramel chocolate gateau

Ice cream dessert of soya bean and coffee walnut ice cream

---

Cheese and fruit

A selection of fine cheese and seasonal fruit

---

Beverages

Freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, Japanese green tea and hot chocolate

---

Around came the drinks cart and I decided to try one of the wines, as I have always enjoyed them from New Zealand. I settled on a delicious merlot – Hawkes Bay Gimblett Road – which was joined by a selection of mixed nuts. Ruth came around topping up our selections and taking our dinner orders and I asked for the steak.

In what seemed to be a very short time dinner was served. The appetiser was extremely well presented and I enjoyed it immensely. My steak was cooked to perfection (medium rare) and just how I like it and the seasonal vegetables and potatoes really did complement the Madeira sauce. A superbly assembled main.

Now, I really don’t have a sweet tooth. Never really have, so I decided to have a little check of the First cabin during the dessert. I ran into Erin, another of the crew and she and I just hit it off. We talked a lot about the changes in air travel over the years and how it had impacted both the customer and the staff. Erin had never heard of Flyertalk so naturally I put her straight on that! She seemed very interested and said she would check it out.

I then returned to my seat for cheese and biscuits. Oh, oh, oh! I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Three wonderful cheeses – NZ versions of blue, brie and cheddar - were accompanied by very cheesy crackers and, being a bit of a cheeseaholic, really hit the spot for me. Erin came down and asked me if I would like a dessert wine or port. I hesitated for a moment so she just looked at me and said she’d bring both!

I was thankful I had bought a large bottle of water at Narita, as after all the various drinks I had consumed I knew I would be needing it during the night….

After the advice from mad_atta on this thread and others on the boards I knew not to expect much from NZ entertainment, but I thought I should check it out. The screen was no bigger than SQ economy with a very limited selection of movies (including the Bourne Supremacy!) so I decided to give it all a miss, get out my noise cancelling headphones and put on my CDs. In case anyone is interested, I did attempt to buy the Sennheisers at Changi but they had sold out, so have now ordered them over the internet for my arrival in the US.

Now a word about the current NZ C seat. It really is not that comfortable. I am only 1.7m (5’7”) and 64kg (148lb or 10 stone 8) but found it very difficult to get settled. The foot rest thing just didn’t seem to equate with the angle of the rest of the seat, and if you reclined then I didn’t feel like my legs were raised high enough. So I had a look around the cabin and found that everyone was using the seat back pockets as their footrests, which is what I did. Actually while I was on my feet I also noted that the lady in front of me not only had a face mask on, but also her eye mask over her nose and mouth. Double glazing for the nose, as it were.

I then had a wander back into Pacific Class. Not because I wanted to gloat (well OK, just a little bit) but also to get acquainted with how I may have to cross to LAX if my plan does not work – and I do like to be prepared. The seats weren’t half bad at all and it certainly will be OK for me if, although C of course will be my first option.

I slumbered for a long while, waking up just as the sun was starting to show its first vestiges over the horizon. As I was sorting my bits and pieces out I suddenly realised I had no idea where my boarding card was. As I knew there would be a wait in CHC, and because I always like to keep them, I started to hunt through my stuff but to no avail. As Ruth came through I asked her about the arrangements in CHC and she confirmed that I would indeed need my boarding pass.

Ladies and Gentlemen, please take your partners for the Boarding Pass Excuse Me. Ruth, Abbie, my seat mate and myself pulled everything apart – with my seat mate managing to spill a glass of water over my seat in the process which Ruth simply swapped with another – including my bags and checking under my seat. It really could have been set to music. No luck though. We checked all my bags in the overhead – nothing. I resigned myself to having to explain all this in CHC, and Ruth assured me they would vouch for me.

Before long breakfast was served:

---

Beverages

Start the day with your choice of juice, freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, Japanese green tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate.

---

Continental selection

Fruit selection with assorted cereals and yoghurts

Croissants, white and wholemeal toast with fruit conserve

---

Hot options

Three egg omelette filled with mushrooms, breakfast sausage, wedge potatoes, asparagus and tomato

Creamy scrambled eggs on a bed of spinach with grilled bacon, potato cake and herbed tomato

Japanese style breakfast of rice porridge, shark fin sauce, scallops and prawns

---

So being impressed with NZ’s food so far, would they show me how eggs should be done on a flight? I chose the scrambled eggs – and, sadly, no! It was just as awful as any other in the air but maybe that is simply a peculiarity of mine. The bacon, tomato and potato cake were fine though and of course I washed it all down with many cups of green tea.

I decided on one final check for my boarding pass - eureka! I know not how, I know not why, but it was was in the side pocket of my laptop bag. Bloody Mary syndrome I guess!

Before long we were on our approach to Christchurch and touched down as scheduled. From there we had to disembark and then (somewhat bizarrely) had to be herded as a group out of the gate area through to security screening and then back to the gate. A wait of about an hour seemed like three but we were soon back on our way. This was viewed as a domestic portion of the flight but we in business still did get a bite to eat – although by this time none of us seemed much fussed about anything. I’ll give Mark, our crew member, 10 out of 10 though for trying very hard to keep us entertained even though we just wanted to be in AKL by this point.

Just a short hop, the seat belt signs were on and we started our approach to AKL under very cloudy skies. As we got closer to the ground it was clear it had been raining. So I guess the sun god was out of the calling area when I did my dance. Cloudy in LHR, SIN, NRT (for the most part), CHC and now AKL – where has the sun gone?!!

No problems with either immigration or customs and I was soon through, with my sister and family calling out to me. It is great to be here and I am looking forward to my visit.

I probably won’t bore you all with any domestic tales but I will be taking a trip in NZ at some point (haven’t decided where yet) so will give you a run down of that – and of course my further adventures AKL-CHC(probably)-LAX-LHR

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone – and my very best wishes for a fantastic and prosperous 2005.

Last edited by ecco66; Dec 22, 2004 at 11:04 pm
Old Dec 22, 2004, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Just a quick note before I sign off to say thank you to JuPe, Gajules, Chico and Kiwiflyer for their comments. Have a nice Christmas all of you!

Chico - yes, would love your recommendations on wine bins here, and I hope you are enjoying your RTW. Paris at Christmas is a great experience!

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.