Wiki Posts
Search

NH F BKK-NRT-JFK #1 first class in the world

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2004, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Talking NH F BKK-NRT-JFK #1 first class in the world

Dear folks,

Here is my outbound trip report, which is on All Nippon Airways. Sorry no AC HKG-YYZ report! I bought it from a Bangkok agent… O/W first class “A” ticket costs about $2200 including tax, which is an excellent value. After flying All Nippon first, it is hard to imagine how first class can be better. All Nippon is definitely one of the best first class cabins in the world, and even better than my CX. In my own ranking, All Nippon has become my number one airline. The service is excellent, and the F/As are attentive, friendly, and tries their best to create a truly luxurious experience. The food is excellent and more than ample. I tried a few delight dishes and the F/As were more than opened to prepare food. The seat is comfortable and the blanket is comfortable. Here is the detailed report!

NH 916 BKK-NRT Lv2350 Arr0755+1 Boeing 747-400 JA8094
Well I arrived around 6pm from Gulf Air and decided to exit immigration and hang around the airport. My only complaint was how late the check in counters opened. It was opened at 9:20pm about two and a half hours prior to departure. I think I will appreciate if it will open three and a half hours prior to arrival. LH and KL opened their counters before NH, although their flights depart around the same time or even later. Well NH has its own staffs at BKK and they are very friendly and efficient. I had to fill out an extra form, since I am heading to the US.

About the lounge, I knew about a number of options because I was stuck indoor for more than three hours, and decided to for the lesser lounge, namely the Royal Orchid Lounge closer to my pier, 42, and I wanted a view. The lounge was not too bad – there were hot snacks, such as various puffs and pastries, as well as canapé and sandwiches, and a wide range of snacks and beverages – alcoholic and non-alcoholic. For the last hour, I sat up stair by myself in front of the big window, and saw some European planes going up and down. I saw Swiss’ Airbus A340-300 HB-JMG coming in from Singapore. BKK was very busy at night with many European airlines and North Asian airlines coming and going. I headed to the gate around 11:10pm, and boarding began at 11:30pm from gate 42 in one of the newer piers. Two friendly flight attendants, as well as purser, welcomed us aboard, and the aircraft was equipped with the new first class suites, which were beautiful and comfortable. I guess I don’t need to say much about this superb seat. At each set, a pillow, a blanket, an amenity kit – a basic black bath bag with the usual amenities, and slippers were already placed at each seat. I like the shoe bags under the foot stool. The flight attendant immediately asked if we need any papers, and pass out pajama set and a wool cardigan. They did not just pass out the PJ set, but also unwrap them for you. Like all Japanese airlines, no pre-takeoff beverage was offered. Door was closed at 11:49pm and the flight was about half full in F, and pretty full in J and Y. We pushed back at 11:52pm and followed the Swiss’ A340 for our taxiing to R/W21R. We took off at 12:06am, and our routing first took us to 37,000feet, and pass by the cities of Da Nang and Taipei, and then climbed up to 41,000feet before reaching Kagoshima, Miyazaki, and then onto Narita. I did not take much detailed notes before I feel asleep after a brief snack.

Due to some thunderstorm activities, we remained seated until 12:33am, and the F/As went into action with hot towels, a beverage service, and passing out menus, and taking our orders. There were two meal services planned. For J and Y, a snack was served first, and then a breakfast prior to arrival. In first class, we had the full flexibility. Most passengers chose to go to sleep right the way, but I chose to have two meals… I had a bowl of Kitsune Udon noodles, and then headed to sleep. The attentive F/A put a nice cotton/silk blanket, and then asked if I wanted to have breakfast prior to arrival. About the entertainment system, there is the usual AVOD system with movies, including “the Day after Tomorrow,” and “Scooby Do Two,” but short subjects were very limited with some news & sports program, and only one sitcom option, “Everybody Loves Raymond.” That AVOD system can use some additional short subjects.

Here is the detailed wine list and menu transcript:
Wine List
Champagne
Krug Grande Cuvee
White Wines
Sancerre Chateau du Nozay 2000, Pascal Jolives, Loire
Pouilly-Fume Les Trappes 2000, Guy Saget, Loire
The Hess Collection Napa Valley Chardonnay 2001, Napa valley, California
Red Wines
Heitz Cellar 1998 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, California
Chateauneuf-du-Pape La Bernardine 1997, M. Chapoutier, Cotes Du Rhone
Prestige Sake
KIKUHIME
Yamahai Ginjo Genshu (Ishikawa)
NISHINOSEKI
Fukurodori Shizukuzake (Oita)
MANZAIRAKU
Plum Wine of Kaga (Ishikawa)
KAWAKGOE
Genuine Imo-jochu (Distilled Spirit) (Miyazaki)

First Service
Petite Japanese meal course
Crisp lotus root braised in light soy sauce
Salt-grilled tachiuo (cutlass fish)
Steamed rice or okayu (creamy rice porridge)
Natto (fermented soybeans)
Dried seaweed
Miso soup
Assorted pickles

Petit Western meal course
Salmon and halibut mille-feuille with marinated shrimps
Baked shrimp and sun-dried tomatoes filled in tartlet
Fresh garden salad
Selection of breads

Delights Course
Sake Accompaniments
Shiitake mushrooms and sea urchin braised in special miso sauce
Green seaweed simmered in soy sauce
Assorted pickles from Kyoto

Light Dishes
Kitsune udon (hot white wheat noodles with fried tofu)
Green tea poured over rice, garnished with pickled Japanese plum
Chef's special chicken and mushroom curry
Classic pizza
Creamy corn potage

Sweet Treats
Raspberry sorbet
Toraya "Omokage" yokan (adzuki bean jelly)

Post-nap comfort
Fresh garden salad
Cornflakes with milk
Fresh seasonal fruit

About 4:36am, lights were turned back on, and hot towels were passed out for those having breakfast. The table was set up individually with very stylish and simple plates and utensils. The blue table cloth was very nice. Fruit plate (grapefruit, melon, and pear), a green salad (mixed greens, with alfafa sprouts, olives, Radicchio, lettuce, cucumber slices, and cherry tomato) with a vinaigrette dressing, and breads (choices of soft and garlic focaccia rolls) were served first. It was followed by entrée service, which was a mille-feulle, which was a baked pastry, and a quiche like egg tart. It was a nice breakfast. Descent soon began at 5:05am and I changed back into my regular clothes. The pajama was wonderful BTW. Seat belt sign was turned on at 7:24am Japanese local time, and we landed at R/W34R at 7:34am, and a Lufthansa’s Boeing 747 landed after us. We parked at gate A63 a few minutes later, between two JAL’s Boeing 747-400s (JA8074 with old livery, and JA8909 with new livery). Then I headed to the relatively long security line to head back to the departure level.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up Nrt-jfk

NH 10 NRT-JFK Lv1100 Arr1030 Boeing 747-400 JA8095
I headed to the duty free and the yahoo internet café first, since I have more than three hours at NRT. After that, I headed to the Signet lounge, and the agent immediately told me that the first class lounge was next door. She did not only tell me where it was, but also brought me over there personally. That was service. The first class lounge had an attendant to serve us drinks and bring me hot towel as well. There was no shower facility though, which was disappointing, but complimentary wireless access was available, and there was one sole laptop with internet connection. Food was some basic foods and snacks. The lounge was pretty quiet during the whole stay.

About plane-spotting, NRT is gradually progressing into not only a Jumbo’s land, but a Triple Seven’s land. I spotted a large number of NH and JL 777s, as well as KL’s 777, AZ’s 777, AF’s 777, and various Asian airlines’ 777 (MH & TG). Here is a list with registration jogged down –
NH 772 JA703A heading to Shanghai; JL 772 JA707J New; JA 705J JL 772 New, JA704J at gate 82 (new JL 777); JA605J JL 763 (New); JALways’ Boeing 747-200 Resocha livery pushing back from Gate 92; NH 772 JA707A with Indy/Japan logo heading to IAD; JL’s new MD-11 JA8582 heading to Zurich; JAL 100th Boeing 747 (JA8915 Old livery 744) heading to ORD, JAL’s Classic livery 744 JA8919 heading to LHR, and a Garuda’s Boeing 747-400 PK-GSH at Gate 96; JAL’s brand new Boeing 777-300ER JA732J arriving from Singapore and heading to the maintenance area around 8:30am

Well my flight was pretty full in all three classes this morning, and first class was 100% full. Boarding began at 10:40am, and the F/A welcomed us on board immediately. I was at seat 2A again, and once again, a PJ set, an orchid with a note from the purser and my name, a pair of slippers, and headsets were already placed in the foot stool. Once again, newspapers and magazines were offered and no pre-takeoff beverage! Door was closed late at 11:09pm with two VIP passengers heading to row 1, two minutes before door was closed. We pushed back at 11:12am, and headed to R/W16R for takeoff. We caught on with the morning rush and here was a list of planes landing and taking off before us – JL 743 JA812J, VS 346 G-VFAR, KE 772 HL7531 landed, NW 74F N630US Classic Grey livery, and NW new livery 74F N645NW. We took off at 11:35am, and our flying time today was eleven hours and fifty-seven minutes. We first climbed to 31,000feet as we headed out at the Bay of Tokyo, and then climbed to 35,000feet before entering the Alaska air space, cities of Bethel and Anchorage, and then climbed to 37,000feet before reaching the Yukon territories in Canada, McKenzie Mountains, cities of Gillam and Timmins, and cross the Martin Lake, and then into Syracuse and Utica, where we started our descent. Pretty normal Great Circle route!

Seat belt sign was turned off at 11:45am and hot towels were passed out next (all set in a black lacquered tray), and a leather folder with menus and wine lists were passed out next. Beverage order was first taken, and champagne for me… a small bowl of marinated shrimps and squids was our canapé this morning. Then the purser took our lunch orders, and I had the Western choice this afternoon. Although Club ANA has similar offerings, first class has a more generous portion, an additional salad choice (apart from simple Green salad), and it was served course by course – no tray was used. I will include my notes at my choices in the menu transcript below.

(This set of wine list and menu transcript was used for all Japan to USA route)
Wine List
Champagne
Krug Grande Cuvee
White Wines
Chablis Premier Cru Vaillons 2001, Domaine William Ferve, Bourgogne
The Hess Collection Napa Valley Chardonnay 2001, Napa valley, California
Eroica Riesling 2002, Chateau Ste. Michelle-Dr. Loosen, Washington
Montana Reserve Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2003, Marlborough, New Zealand
Red Wines
Chateau Trotte Vieille Saint-Emilion Premier Grand-Cru Classe 1999, Saint-Emilion, Bordeaux
Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve 1998, Napa Valley, California
Acacia Carneros Pinot Noir 2001, Napa Valley, California
Peter Lehmann Eight Songs Shiraz 2000, Barossa Valley, South Australia
Prestige Sake
KIKUHIME
Yamahai Ginjo Genshu (Ishikawa)
NISHINOSEKI
Fukurodori Shizukuzake (Oita)
MANZAIRAKU
Plum Wine of Kaga (Ishikawa)
KAWAKGOE
Genuine Imo-jochu (Distilled Spirit) (Miyazaki)

First Service
Lunch/Dinner
Amuse Guele

Zensai
Simmered abalone Shark's fin aspic Baked clam in shell
Pumpkin and scallop terrine Salt-grilled ayu (sweet fish) Shrimp sushi

Otsuskuri
Rich yuba (tofu crepe) and fresh sea urchin roe with wasabi and special soy sauce

Kobachi
Scallop and mushroom salad tossed with green soy bean puree

Takiawase
Miso-braised beef tongue and vegetables with red pepper

Dainomono
Grilled sea bass with yuzu citron soy marinade
Octopus ragout in soy sauce
Sendai-fu (wheat gluten cake) simmered in light soy sauce

Steamed Rice, miso soup, pickles

Western Service
Amuse Guele
A small bowl of marinated shrimps and squids

Appetizers
Oscietra caviar with traditional garnish
Seafood aspic with papaya and fig vinaigrette
Pan-roasted duck breast and baby eggplant with foie gras sauce
Organic leaf salad with argan oil and vinegar dressing
Smoked beef and green papaya salad with yuzu citron-miso sauce
I had the seafood aspic appetizer, which is a jelly type appetizer. Then I had the smoked beef salad and I was just not so used to tasteless and somewhat hard papaya, but the roast beef went great with the greens.

Main Courses
Sirloin of wagyu beef with pan-fried chicken gizzards, Bordeaux red wine sauce or soy-flavored sauce
Pan-fried flatfish with balsamic tomatoes
Pan-roasted veal and beef tripe ragout with sage
Baked summer vegetable gateau with Parmigiano-Reggiano
I had the first option, and the beef was simply tender and tasty. I had the soy-flavored sauce, which went great with beef, and I should have asked for a bowl of steamed rice, but the breads went well with sauce anyway.

Selection of breads
Lescure de Charente butter or extra-virgin olive oil
For breads, there was a choice of sundried tomato, sesame, and olive rolls. I had the sesame rolls, which were nicely warmed and soft.

Dessert
Mandarin-daiginjyo granite and Champagne sorbet
Pear Charlotte with fruit melanges and apricot sauce
Warm peach crepe with vanilla ice cream and berry sauce
Selection of Fresh fruit
I had the warm peach crepe, which was recommended by the purser. It was simply magically delicious. After dessert, a plate of petit-fours was passed out, and I had a nice piece of green tea chocolate.

After the meal service, the central table in front of the middle seats had some snacks, and a basket of amenities were available. Water bottles were also available on request (Crystal Geyser). Strangely, no individual amenity kit and cardigan was passed out… we were on request I guess. The F/As were attentive, and once they saw you awake, they came to you immediately and asked if you wanted anything to drink or to eat. After sleeping for a couple hours, I woke up around 5:30am NY time, and decided to try on some delights menu. I ended up trying three of them – first, I had the shark fin’s noodle, which was delicious – ramen and an egg based shark fin soup; second, I had the Oden, which was a traditional Japanese sake accompaniments with egg, various kinds of fish cakes, rolls, and fish balls, with daikon (radish slices); and third, I had the curry, which was somewhat average and I did not recommend it. After the delights menu, I watched some short subjects and then went to take a nap. At 9am NYC tine, I woke up again and the F/A asked if I wanted something else. Of course, I had to have the breakfast, which was wonderful again, and served course by course. I had the Western course again.

Second Service
Petit Japanese Course
Unohana (tofu lees) and pumpkin salad
Grilled unagi (fresh-water eel) with special soy sauce
Steamed rice or okayu (creamy rice porridge)
Natto (fermented soybeans) Dried seaweed
Miso soup Assorted pickles

Petit International Course
Herb omelette with boiled sausage
Delicious omelette – not rubber like at all; and soft and freshly prepared.
Morning roll – a brioche and croissant
Fresh seasonal fruit – apple, watermelon, cantaloupe, and kiwi

Delights Menus
Sake Accompaniments
Shiitake mushrooms and sea urchin braised in special miso sauce
Green seaweed simmered in soy sauce
Yakitori (skewer-grilled free-range chicken and vegetables)
Handmade fresh tofu with tangy dipping sauce
Oden (hot pot with fishcakes and vegetables)
Assorted pickles from Kyoto

With Wines (cheese selection)
Sainte-Maure de Touraine AOC
Stilton
Hokkaido Alpine

Light Dishes
Kitsune udon (hot white wheat noodles with fried tofu)
Cantonese-style noodles in shark's fin soup
Mekajiki (swordfish) teriyaki with green onion, served over rice
Green tea poured over rice, garnished with pickled Japanese plum
Cantonese-style congee (rice porridge)
Chef's special chicken and mushroom curry
Classic pizza
Hot dog
Creamy corn potage

Sweet Treats
Traditional baumkuchen

Post-nap comfort
Fresh garden salad
Cornflakes with milk
Fresh seasonal fruit

The great thing with NH meals was that both the presentations, quantity and quality were carefully monitored, and the food was always tasty, fresh, and presented in this new white and black oval shaped plates. The F/A was never tired to serve you. At 9:09am, the lights were turned on – I guess a wake up call, and folks, who liked breakfast and a light snack prior to arrival. Descent began at 9:55am and it was a beautiful day at New York, and we landed on R/W31R at 10:32am. We parked at gate 5 three minutes later. There was no other plane at this early time, and we were the first flight in this morning. I quickly passed the immigration check, and bags came out at 10:44am, and I was at the curbside before 11am. It was almost unheard of in LAX or SFO. It was a wonderful experience and I hope you will enjoy them. The pictures could be found at this link.
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.js...1&sort_order=0

Link for older pictures -- DL, EG, and CX trips
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.js...1&sort_order=0

Carfield
Old Aug 14, 2004, 12:12 pm

as usual Carfield, excellent report, i agree ANA is great, kind of a hidden secret over CX.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 4:24 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
^ Fabulous report. Thanks for taking the time to share it. Great pics!
Old Aug 15, 2004, 12:25 am

Programs: some
Great report, thanks ^

Sounds like NH is fantastic. I'd love to try them some time. But before that I've got my first trip in F coming up on SQ. Maybe next year. Life is great
Old Aug 16, 2004, 2:21 am

Thanks for the excellent report, Carfield. I recently flew on NH for the first time, and was very impressed. The service was superb. Their F product is certainly comparable to CX and SQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.