Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon DUB-LHR-BOS-DCA-NYC-LHR BA F & AA F

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Honeymoon DUB-LHR-BOS-DCA-NYC-LHR BA F & AA F

To start off this trip report, I have to thank this forum. I would of never been able to do what I can do for our honeymoon with out the miles catching that this forum has shown me I would not of been able to travel First class or even know what other airlines that are out there other than Ryanair.

We are going to travel back to Ireland for our wedding and then the next day travel back to London before heading out to America for our Honeymoon.

We are traveling with BA & AA all first and hiring our cars via Hertz all month, We are heading to the east coast for our Honeymoon. Arriving into Boston traveling up state to the mountains and then the coast before heading back to Boston before flying to Washington DC and then the train up to New York.

Today we were doing to use Platinum services. This is a drive up and we sort out everything for you service.
Untitled by , on Flickr

We drove up to the barrier and said who we were and we drove into the car park.
fixed jag photo by , on Flickr
A young chap come out for our bags. Once inside he took the keys and said he would contact Hertz to pick it up.

He then showed us to our suite which was Suite 1. He offered us champagne which we couldn’t say no to.
Untitled by , on Flickr

He then offered us a tour of the facility. They have 7 suites and the presidential suite. The presidential suite is mainly used for the government when they fly. They also showed us how the corridors are set up as the president does not go through security yet his people who travel with him do. Once back in the suite I watched amazing spaces and then the film hairspray came on which we watched. Thank god we were in a private room as how embarrassing!
[/url]Untitled by A Con, on Flickr by A Con, on Flickr
Untitled by A Con, on Flickr
[url=https://flic.kr/p/JhBqff]
Untitled by A Con, Really nice champagne glasses by Galway Crystal.

The flight arrived late so they informed us of the delay and that when the flight lands they will tell us when to get ready. 25 minutes later they said it had landed and to get our bits we went to the loo and then were ready to head to the plane. We had a private security lane. Infact there was more security officers than us! We were then brought through the airport to our waiting car.
A BMW 7 series LB it had loads of leg space!

It was a short drive to the plane which we waited in the car until the plane was ready.

Once the green light was given we were first up the stairs to take our seats. Once again we were flying BA Club Europe. Today was again a 65 minute flight, But today we had 2 FAs in Club Europe.
Untitled by A Con, God leg roomin row 1 on this A319.

Afternoon tea was offered with was three sambos and a cake. Untitled by A Con, on Flickr
Warm scones were given out too. It doesn’t sound great but I enjoy the afternoon tea. I enjoy the clotted cream and strawberry jam.
It wouldn’t be an afternoon tea with out a glass of champagne so we had an other one. ☺

We must have had someone important on the plane as we flew straight into LHR with no holding! Once on the ground it was a short taxi to our gate and then a bit of a wait while they made sure they had the right doors open for passengers arriving from Ireland. It was funny as they guy sitting by my wife was really worried about missing his flight. I knew he was fine as we were taking the same flight the next day but he kept wanting to make a fuss. Turns out his flight was delayed by 3 hours anyway!

We picked up our bags and got a uber home. The next day will be our first F in BA to Boston.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:00 pm
GLA

Programs: BA VS
Great start! Looking forward to the rest of this...
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Monday morning came around and it was time for our trip to Heathrow. We both couldn’t check in online for some reason and the app said to get to the airport early to sort it out. We left at midday for our 18:20 flight. Arriving to T5 in 45 minutes from home a big police operation was going on with loads of armed police at the entrance to T5. Good to see.

We used the first check in area.

Turns out that when my wife asked BA to change her name on the ticket they did not reissue the ticket so the check in agent had to ring the customer services and get them to re issue it. It took a long time due to the new system FLY. They couldn’t get it to work for 45 minutes but we got her checked in and off to security we went.

About 5 people in the queue today at south security fast track so through in a flash. Today we used the millionaires door.

The guy in front of us was send off to go around but she opened the door for us and let us in. A quick check in with the desk and we were through into the lounge. We headed straight to the bar and ordered a glass of champagne each. LGSP is a lovely champagne very crisp and easy to drink.

We went out onto the terrace where my wife rang a few people and I checked up on our flight and some other information.

At 14:00 we went through to the dining area for some lunch. Started with another glass of champagne.

I had the Ham hock and mustard terrine with piccalilli and soft boiled quail egg.
My wife had the soup which was carrot & rubarb which was differnt.

For mains I had the BA burger with cheese & Bacon.

Tasted great but looked like it was a cheap Tesco frozen burger. I had a glass of the Clos des Jacobins 2006 Saint Emilion from Bordeaux which was great.

For desert I had the Chocolate Brownie with mini profiteroles and salted caramel. It was just the right size for lunch.

At 3pm it was time for us to see what the cabanas are like. I asked before trough you first to book us one for 3pm onwards. It’s a nice room quiet away from everyone. We watched some news but nothing like the lounge in Dublin.

At 4pm my wife went off for her treatment of a facial. I took the time to have a quick shower. At 16:30 she was back and I went off to check in, I had a few mins until my spa treatment so went into the gold lounge for a look around. If anyone complains about the GF lounge again I suggest they go up stairs and see how good you have it.

I had booked the back message which was a 10 minute treatment and it felt great. When I got back we had enough of the cabinas so we went back out to the balcony and ordered the espresso martini. It was good and strong just want we needed to make sure we stayed awake for the flight ahead.

Once we got our drinks it came up on the screens that our plane would be leaving from the B gates. We finished up our drinks with 40 minutes to go and went down to the train.

We arrived at the gate to loads of people waiting around. I went off and took some photos of the bird that we would be on for the next 6 hours.

They called all priority at once so it was a bit of a scrum at the gate but we were about the first 20 people on the plane. We were shown to our seat which was 2A & 2K for this flight. Looking it up before hand I knew it was a full F for this trip.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Nice report! How much is the Platinum service?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Flight BA215
LHR-BOS
Scheduled departure 18:20
Take off 19:50
Time in the air 6:34
Seat 2A

Couldnt even reach the buddy seat.

PJs were handed out and I had to ask for slippers.

Nice view from your three windows from your seat.

The older TV system on this plane.

View from the loo on the ground.

They offered us a Pre-departure drink of champagne & I asked for some water too. We were delayed a bit and then 4 people didn’t show up so had to wait to get the bags off. More champagne was offered ☺ I was one of the last to be asked what I would like for dinner so I didn’t get my first choice of Sea bass but I was able to ask for the steak as rare as possible. The FA pointed out that its up to how much they have cooked it on the ground so it could have been cooked all the way through before the FA even get there hands on it. TV system was turned on so we could start watching some films.

Some more champagne before we left the gate and as we were on a plane with the very old TV system it wasn’t playing ball so it was a manual safety brief today. Then TVs were put back and glasses taken for take off. Take off was so smooth. The 747 really is the queen of the sky.

First few drinks on the ground. Lets see if I can beat 8 bottles of Dom

A380 taking off just in front of us. We were using the South runway 27 today.

Soon we were in the clouds.

Vanity kit were given out on the ground but I just opened it in the air. Everything you would want. The shave cream is very good when I used it a few days later. Eye mask also worth keeping.

First glass of the Blanc de Blanc champagne.

Once in the air the FAs jumped into action. I started with a glass of the Blanc de blanc which was lovely. I do like a blanc de blanc but my wife is not a fan so I don’t get to have it so much. 2 bottles in two days ☺ Warm nuts also came with the champagne.

Warmed nuts came with the champagne.

Another top up before dinner.

Menu
page1 by A Con, on Flickr
page2 by A Con, on Flickr
page3 by A Con, on Flickr
page5 by A Con, on Flickr
page4 by A Con, on Flickr
page6 by A Con, on Flickr
page7 by A Con, on Flickr
page8 by A Con, on Flickr
page9 by A Con, on Flickr

Then tables were laid and it was show time.

Starters

Severn and Wye smoked salmon cannelloni with lemon puree, cucumber, verjus and marinated beetroot
Heirloom tomatoes shepherds purse fettle cheese with tomato marshmallow, basil cake and white balsamic pearls
White asparagus soup with shaved asparagus and spring onion salad
Fresh seasonal salad with a choice of honey mustard or Caesar dressing
Main

Seared fillet of Aberdeen Angus, smoked beef cheek, pomme mousseline, mushroom ragout and heritage carrots with bordelaise sauce
Pan fried sea bass dressed crab, compressed watermelon, asparagus purée with comfit potato and citrus hollandaise
Beef burger with streaky bacon, monterey jack cheese, barbeque sauce, coleslaw and spicy potato wedges
Orecchiette pasta with pea, mange tout, tomato fricassee with a parmesan crisp and semi dried tomatoes
Seared Thai spiced tuna orange and coriander salad with hot roasted spiced kernels, espelette pepper dressing and a gazpacho shot
Desserts

Chocolate marquise
Hedgerow berry financier
Madagascan vanilla ice cream

Cheese Plate

Worcester White
Tomme de Savoie
Blacksticks Blue Premier Cru
Perl wen

I started with the Severn and Wye smoked salmon cannelloni with lemon puree, cucumber, verjus and marinated beetroot. It was very good. The cream cheese was lovely and the cucumber & Marinated beetroot went perfect with the salmon. I stuck with the Blanc de Blanc for the starter.

For the main course it was the steak. Lets see how good they got it. It was perfect! You wouldn’t of got a better piece of beef on the ground! I went with the Chateau Cantemerle 2008 it was perfect with the beef.

Perfectly rare steak! Which is suprising for BA acording to this forum.

I asked could I wait a bit for my pudding but I already knew I was having the cheese. I asked for all of it except the blue. As I was one of the last to have pudding they left me the cracker tub and let me dig in. I had a glass of the port to help me finish it off.

At this point I was stuffed. I was nearly finished my film now as they had to restart the whole system as many were not working including mine so that was 45 minutes of nothing lost.

I asked for a Jonnie walker blue and was given a huge porstion. First time trying Blue and it is a great whickey. I was wondering what a £200 bottle tastes like and now I know I would I buy a bottle maybe for the right price.

(Sorry for the inclusion of ice) I only asked for a cube

Onto my second film and I had finished the blue I asked for the Glenlivit 18 year old. Not as good as the blue but still went down a treat. Once my second film was over we were 90 mins out. I didn’t start a 3rd as I knew we would have to put away the screens for landing.

For afternoon tea it was the normal sambos cakes and scones. It wouldn’t be afternoon tea with out a glass of champagne so another glass of the blanc de blanc was had. I also had a cup of earl gray tea which I proceeded to spill all over me!

After the lunch was done with I had a G&T to finish off a great flight.

I put away my bits and got ready for landing. As I had taken a few moments to get up and thank the chef who cooked todays meal and had a bit of a laugh with the crew when I was putting away my bag a member of the crew ran up and handed a bottle of Blanc de blanc and said enjoy the Honeymoon Such a nice thing to do to end a fantastic first first in BA.

We came in on RW 22 for a smooth landing and a 10 minute taxi way to our stand. The air bridge was attached to 1L and they held back everyone so F could exit first. Then into Logan with a 75 minute wait to get past immigration. It seemed we came in behind a flight from Hong Kong. Once through our bags were on the belt and we were through customs and walking to the Hilton at Logan airport which is a 10 minute walk away trough the car park.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Nice report thanks for posting!

I flew BA last month in CW ATL-LHR and the food was inedible.

That food looks awful too!
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Nice start! I can't imagine many of us in North America think of the NE as a honeymoon destination, but looks like you hit some great cities. Looking forward to the rest!

Originally Posted by pacenotes
Then into Logan with a 75 minute wait to get past immigration.
FYI the US recently opened its trusted traveler program to UK passport holders, so if you plan on frequenting the US I highly recommend looking into this. I say as a Canadian who has missed many a connecting flight and wasted hours in the non-citizens line....until I enrolled in Global Entry/Nexus.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by offerendum
Nice report! How much is the Platinum service?
Happy Honeymoon!!

Also curious.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:42 am
Original Poster

When we arrived in Boston it was 9pm and after immigration being a zoo it was well past our bed time when we got landside. I picked the Hilton at Logan for this very reason. Once you are air side you walk through the car park to the hotel which is in the middle of all the terminals. When leaving London they emailed to say I could check in online but didn't want to just incase the word honeymoon would get us a upgrade. Well I shouldn't of bothered as they were full!

We booked a city view room and got a great room over back over Boston.
View at night.

View in the morning

I woke up early onTuesday morning at 6am. It would have been 11am in the UK so not too bad I thought. I looked out the curtain and woke up my wife. As with any new wife this was a bad idea to wake them at 6am! It was a hot sunny day. We were all ready by 09:00 so we packed up and went down to check out and grab a cab, Uber wanted us to go to some parking lot thinking we were in the airport and Lyft must of banned its drivers from picking up within the airport as it was blocked on the map so a Boston cab it was. One just pulled up when all of a sudden there was a queue behind us so it was a bit of a scum to grab it. The driver took the tunnel into the centre of Boston and it was our introduction to Boston traffic. Wow it is bad. It took us 30 mins to get to the Taj in the centre of Boston. When we arrived they took our bags and stored them for us. We went and checked in and they would give us a ring when our room was going to be ready.

We headed off to find some brekkie, We found a place called Au Bon Pain. So good infact we ate 3 days in here. We really liked the smoked salmon bagel and iced tea for me.

We bought some walking shoes as we were heading off to walk the freedom trail. We started by checking out the crossing ducks.

Then walked on to the start of the trail. Then up to the state building.

You then walk around to the graveyard in the centre of Boston.

Down to School st which was the site of the first school in Boston.

I just couldn’t get over the size of the trucks they were massive! Same with the tourist buses shaped like a trolly tram.

We walked down to the Irish hunger memorial a touching reminder of what Boston did for Ireland in its hour of need.

We walked down to the market area. Over the door was a sign saying it was a fallout centre!

We then did Quency market. So much food it all looked fantastic. We went outside and had a drink and played some chess (It was a draw 1-1)

We then headed off for some lunch. I just had to have some Oysters to start but I only had three. We had a lobster roll each. Our first bit of lobster of our trip.

We then got the ferry across to the USS constution.

Huge line to have a look onboard so we seen the outside and turned on Uber to get us back to the hotel as I had a call to say our room was ready.

We ordered a Uber black and a M class Merc arrived. We sat in traffic again but this time in a ACed comfortable Merc.

We got back and were given a room over looking the park. The room was huge but the bathroom was tiny.

They have everything you would want in the room. I think it was of a 5 * standard. It was only the bathroom that let it down. They should take a foot or two out of the room to give the bathroom a bit more space.

Great view of the park from the window

Once we had a bit of a nap we headed out again for the Boston sky observatory. It is up 50 floors and has a great view of all of Boston. It is a really green city and had a great view of the airport and of Fenway which we were going to after this.

It’s a short 2km walk to Fenway, We got there early as it was Catholic night and they were thanking the men & women of the police, fire and paramedics depts. After a quick show it was ball time. It was our first baseball game and it was the Red Sox v San Fransico giants. It was a mellow game with one home run and it ended 4-1 to the Red Sox. It is interesting how much is done for TV, I used to work for ESPN in Europe so I the only rules I knew were about when to take TV breaks. I do hope the guys they were all guys selling food and drinks work on comission as they all worked so hard all night long. They must do some serious miles up the steps.

After the 7th innings we went back to the hotel as we were beat after a long day. We got the T system back as we had walked 12km today. We got back to the room and fell asleep right away.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:49 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=offerendum;27042290]Nice report! How much is the Platinum service?[/]

It was 240 euros for the two of us. It gets cheaper the more people you have. It was worth it.

Originally Posted by enviroian
Nice report thanks for posting!

I flew BA last month in CW ATL-LHR and the food was inedible.

That food looks awful too!
Looks can look deceiving as this was perfect. Alot better than the way back. But what do we expect its a metel tube flying through the air at 1000km.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Nice start! I can't imagine many of us in North America think of the NE as a honeymoon destination, but looks like you hit some great cities. Looking forward to the rest!

FYI the US recently opened its trusted traveler program to UK passport holders, so if you plan on frequenting the US I highly recommend looking into this. I say as a Canadian who has missed many a connecting flight and wasted hours in the non-citizens line....until I enrolled in Global Entry/Nexus.
Next time we will be going via Dublin or I will pay £10000 for a faster way! It was just silly. Our first holiday together was a beach in Portugal and we hated it. It did rain the whole week and our villa leaked but we just couldn't sit still for a few days. This will give us a few days by the sea and the citys to keep us entertained.

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Happy Honeymoon!!

Also curious.
240 euros for the two of us.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Today started early again. I was up at 7am so getting better at the jet lag. We got up again and headed for our breakfast spot for a bagle and iced tea.

After brekkie we headed off to old town to the cobbled street. It looked a lot like Rye where my wife grew up. Not much to see but it was cool to see where the locals lived.

We then took the Train out to Harvard. We had a quick look around and it has nothing on Oxford or Cambridge. It was all a bit too modern for us.

We stopped by Grafton st a bar and sat by the window to see the people walking by. We had a couple cocktails which were good if not a bit too much alcoholic!
Untitled by A Con, on FlickrUntitled by A Con, on Flickr

We visited the Harvard book store and bought a book all about the crossing ducks it is a beautiful illustrated book on the story of how they got there.

By chance we walked by a free icecream truck and got ourselves a magnum. Then fired up Uber to get us back into Boston. We got the best driver in the world. He was so friendly and was into his motorsport so he was full of storys of what we should do and where we should stop on our way up north. Only $16 got us back to Boston I left a tip and he gave me his card to email him for advice on our trip up north.

We wanted to try out the Aquarium as before my wife choose her career wanted to be a marine biologist. Im not a fan I would rather see them in the wild but I do get what great work they do by showing what wildlife is out there and what we need to do to protect them. I was expecting a lot as a few weeks before hand we went to one in the UK in a small seaside town and it was great. The one in Boston is a bit sad. The Seals and Penguins don’t have much space but the centre tank was huge but even that was a bit small for the turtle I thought we seemed to just sleep.

Some great things to see was the baby sharks growing in the sacks and the baby lobsters growing. Otherwise Id say you have seen it all before. We left and got a Uber back to the hotel.

We didn’t have a place to eat that night so looked up opentable for a good deal. We found a restraint called Blu which was a lovely place on the 4th floor of what was a fitness centre in a hotel.

I started with the warm Oysters while my wife had meatballs. Both excellent. For main I went with shrimp linguine and my wife had the Lamb. All washed down with a lovely bottle of Pino Gris from the Alsace which was funny as the waiter first gave us the by the glass menu and then asked who was driving tonight. They really don’t do drinking in USA.

We skipped desert and had a nice leisurely strole back to the hotel.

View from the room at night.

Old Aug 13, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
A belated congrat on your marriage!

Great TR so far. The pics were very good, but I really enjoyed the close ups from the aquarium. Go Fish
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:30 am

Congratulations on your marriage. Enjoying your TR.

Impressive drinking performance so far. A Leo Sayer (all dayer) on Bubbles, red wine, white wine, 2 x whisky and then a G&T to finish off. If you woke up without a headache then you're some man!
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Day 4 started like normal with a breakfast bagle of salmon and iced tea. We then went back and got our bags and got a uber to Logan airport. We were not flying today just picking up a car for our trip up north. I had paid extra for a guarantee of a Mustang and hoped for one. I am a Hertz gold so when the email came in to go to bay 413 and it was a Red Mustang my heart skipped a beat. This is what I was most looking forward to. The rental centre in Logan is a great set up for rentals. People arrive off buses and go straight into lines to get the cars we were able to skip the queues and go straight to the Parking area to pick up the car. There was not a Red mustang in bay 413 but a red mustang in bay 418 so we took that one. It must have been right as on check out she was fine with me.

We went straight out and got lost ending up on a toll road back to Boston. I didn’t want to use easy pass as its $5 a day even when you don’t use it but when I seen the booth decided it was best to just open it and use it. So off we went paying $3.50 to go in the wrong direction heading for south Boston when we wanted to go north using the easy freeways to the north.

We took the first junction as I just wanted to get out and get some GPS signal. We got to see a bit of Boston we didn’t get to see and not before long we were in a tunnel heading in the right direction. We were heading for Merrimack Premium Outlets, They had some great shops that I love to shop in. My wife is not a shopper so it was all for me. It took an hour to get there and we shopped and shopped. By the end my wife spent a fortune too.

After 3 hours we left barley fitting all the shopping into the boot of the Mustang and headed for New Hampshire Motor Speedway. We have seen NASCAR on TV but I wanted to see what the tracks were like. After blagging our way into the circuit it turns out a cycle race was happening.

We watched for a bit and then put the roof down and headed up to our hotel in North Conway. Two hours later we arrived and checked into the comfort inn in North Conway.

The room was big but again Bathroom was tiny, We headed straight out to the Flatbread company. We were warned to only order one pizza per two and we got a seat right by the fire. They were making a pizza every minute. It only takes a few more minutes in the oven to get cooked.

We had a half and half and it was fantastic. Even just writing about makes me want to go back.
Iced tea sweetened with Maple syrup

No room for pudding so we left but on seeing a Ben and jerrys we stopped for a couple of scoops. Then drove through the town with the roof down living the American dream.

Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
Congratulations on your marriage. Enjoying your TR.

Impressive drinking performance so far. A Leo Sayer (all dayer) on Bubbles, red wine, white wine, 2 x whisky and then a G&T to finish off. If you woke up without a headache then you're some man!
I think I sweated it out while waiting at immigration! When I asked for each drink I asked for I also asked for bottle of water which kept the headache away. Thankfully BA still give out a full bottle in F unlike other parts of there service!

We were 6 hours in the lounge and 6.5 in the air So what about 1 or 2 an hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.