Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

The Greek Isles, Italy & Dubai (via Qatar business class)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2015, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR

The Greek Isles, Italy & Dubai

Introduction

Well it's time again to go exploring the planet. A few years ago we went on a cruise that covered most of the Western Mediterranean. This time we decided to explore the Eastern side, with an emphasis on Greece and Italy.

We decided to spend a few days in Dubai after our trip, and this worked out well as we were flying with Emirates. However, a month or two before our trip there were some really unbeatable specials on Qatar, and we went for those instead, thus using Doha as our hub, instead of Dubai. We ended up flying a little over 20,000 kilometers, but we consider Qatar to be one of our favourite airlines and the burden was light.

1. Johannesburg to Rome via Qatar Business Class
2. The Rome Cavalieri Waldorf Astoria and dinner at the amazing La Pergola
3. Spending time in Rome
4. Cruising around on the Celebrity Reflection
5. Quick stop in Turkey
6. The Greek Isles ~ Mykonos, Santorini and Rhodes
7. A Day in Athens
8. Rome to Dubai via Qatar Business Class
9. The Waldorf Astoria Dubai Palm Jumeirah and dinner at Social by Heinz Beck
10. Dubai to Johannesburg via Qatar Business Class

Last edited by SAtraveller; Oct 31, 2015 at 2:09 am
Old Oct 17, 2015, 3:16 am
Original Poster

1. Johannesburg to Rome via Qatar Business Class

We checked in at OR Tambo airport in Johannesburg with relative ease. This was the most baggage we'd ever taken overseas, as we'd be gone for approximately 3 weeks. The Qatar employees don't seem to be too familiar with the 787's 1-2-1 seating plan and in almost every city we had the same conversation.

"Sir you have chosen your own seats"
"Yes that is correct"
"But you are behind each other"
"Yes but your aircraft only has one seat by the window on each side"
"Yes but most couples like to sit together"
"Again, I appreciate this, but it's your seating arrangement"
"Yes, I can see that now. It's quite a problem."
"No it's fine really.... you may check us in."

This repeated in both Rome and Dubai much to our amusement. I suppose they also do it for the A380 F passengers...

We decided to spend some time with family prior to the flight, so we ended up making our way through customs hastily and basically walking onto the plane.

Ethiopian 777-200

Air France A380-800

Johannesburg to Doha
Boeing 787-800
Duration ~ 8h
Business Class
3A + 4A

Once again, I'm a big fan on this open cabin and its feeling of spaciousness. Comfortable seating and a relaxed atmosphere, and you're really set.

Pilots doing their thing

The wine menu for today... It stayed essentially the same for all our legs, so this is the only time I'll post it.

I'm not a fan of Spier. I can't imagine why anyone would select this for a premium cabin. I've used Spier for cooking.

Some Jacquart Brut champagne - a first for me, and not too bad. Friendly and professional crew as usual.

With a high load, we soon started our taxi, hot on the heels of a TAAG 777 on its way to Angola.

A nice strong take-off on 03L and a delicate turn to the right and on our way to Doha. Within 5 minutes the seatbelts were off despite some mild bump, and we were mingling in the cabin. Of course, at this stage the windows started to tint blue and I realized that we had a cabin control freak up front (as well as on the way to Rome). Some pursers decide that "everyone" wants a dark cabin even during the day, and they darken the windows and then lock them.

Mood lighting... because natural lighting is much too 80's

What's for lunch?

1. Soup
Cream of Asparagus

2. Appetisers
- Classic Arabic Mezze
- Smoked chicken terrine

3. Mains
- Chicken breast stuffed with taragon juice
- Lamb biryani
- Roasted butternut, mushroom and cheese tart

4. Cheese plate

5. Desserts
- Blueberry and almond tart
- Gourmet ice cream
- Seasonal fresh fruit

6. Light options
- An assortment of savoury pastries
- Grilled Mediterranean vegetable and haloumi wholewheat wrap

Amuse bouche - King shrimp tempura and sweet chilli sauce

Cream of Asparagus soup

I didn't have the terrine, but this is what it looked like. Chicken terrine for me can be a hit and miss and this is no time to gamble.

Classic Arabic mezze

Qatar's constantly delicious lamb biryani topped with almond flakes.

Cheese platter

Blueberry and Almond tart. I didn't eat this personally but it was apparently great.

I did eat this, though. I like Qatar's mini-sundae's and they're a whole lot better than my icecream on BA F earlier this year.

Coffee and chocolate to end.

By the time the sun started going down, the dinner service had ended. Delicious as usual, and I was left entirely too full. With each course I'd tried a different wine, and they all impressed.

Despite the fact that most of the flight was at night, they didn't provide us with pajamas like last time. They didn't even stock them on the flight.

Baileys and warm nuts an hour before landing.

I managed to watch Jurassic World and In and Out (it's hilarious btw) before we landed in Doha. We headed off to the airport hotel and slept there for 8 hours before our morning flight to Rome.

Doha to Rome
Boeing 787-800
Duration ~5 hours
Business Class
2A + 3A

Some nice OJ to start off the day

The load in business was about 75% today and we took off in a northerly direction, with a great pass over the Doha CPD. Beautiful weather, and by the time we were turning over Bahrain, the meal service was in full swing.

Bahrain

Smoothie to start. Delicious.

After settling at 41,000 feet we headed west and eventually passed over Cairo before turning in the direction of Rome.

Salmon

Bircher muesli

Omelette and sausage

I played with the onboard WiFi a bit and purchased 5MB for $2. It didn't go very far so I took the option to use as much as I need, and when I landed in Rome my bill was $13. It was unreliable at times but pretty functional.

Just after passing Cairo I discovered that we were in a race with an Etihad A330 on its way to Athens.

We slowly caught up with it and passed it by. On showing it to the flight attendant he scoffed and remarked "we're always higher, and faster. There's not much competition there." Got to love petty rivals.

Entering the Med

Laduree and Champagne prior to our descent

The Italian countryside was very beautiful and soon we began our final descent.

Nice parallel landing with an Alitalia

After two great flights we were safely in Rome, and well on our way to a great vacation
Old Oct 17, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: Meh
Very nice pics. QR looks great!
Old Oct 17, 2015, 7:47 am

They can control all the windows at the flick of a switch? Dislike!!!!!!!!

Doha seems like an interesting small place for a night stopover. I used to fly QR a lot but out back but always transited for a few hours only.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Very refreshing, I like the cabin. Cheers ^
Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the rest ^
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
Great start! Looking forward to your review of 'Rome's Cavalieri Waldorf Astoria' because was very interested in staying there - but it seems a little far from the main sites so I didn't want to waste extra time travelling. However, I will wait for your view
Old Oct 17, 2015, 11:03 am
Original Poster

The Rome Cavalieri Waldorf Astoria and dinner at the amazing La Pergola

After catching an Uber to our hotel, we checked in with minimal effort. The Rome Cavalieri looks rather drab on the outside, but it recently underwent a large interior renovation, and it's looking great.

The hotel is apparently adorned with some extremely valuable art, and you can get an audio guide from reception if you want to peruse the collection.

Passage to our room

The standard king room was spacious and wonderfully decorated. Large marble bathroom with a fantastic shower and amenities. My only gripe was that the WiFi was weak to non-existent, which is enough to make me murderous, and I ended up roaming half the time.

It was a little chilly in Rome while we were there, so we didn't use the opulent pool area. We made use of the indoor pool, as well as the spa facilities, though, and most were excellent. We even used the gym against our better judgment, but I can only attribute it to some sort of post long-flight delirium.

Indoor pool

Steamroom and Jacuzzi

The hotel is situated on the mountain overlooking Rome, and while it provides outstanding views, the disadvantage is that you are not near to most tourist centers. There is a complementary shuttle than runs into the center of Rome every 30 minutes for about 20 hours a day, and that helps a lot.

The rate came with breakfast, and to date the most extensive and impressive I have seen anywhere in the world...

On one of our first evenings in Rome we dined at La Pergola, which is Rome's only 3* Michelin restaurant. Conveniently located on the roof of our hotel, I booked 9 months ago. Despite the immediate confirmation booking, I also had to reconfirm a month and a day before. Quite a lot of effort, but very exciting indeed.

Dressed in our best formal attire, we made our way to the roof at 20:00 and were welcomed warmly by the staff, who were all extremely good looking and not good for self-esteem.

Superbly opulent 24k gold cutlery.

We were welcomed with menus and a choice of welcome drink, for which we settled on a fantastic glass of Dom Perignon.

After perusing the menu we opted for the gourmet menu, though the head waiter did suggest that we substitute the basil tortellini for their signature dish, fagotelli la pergola.

Thereafter we were handed the water menu, and this is also a first for me. With 29 types of water to choose from, La Pergola has one of the most extensive water menus in existence. These water are classified according to mineral content and, of course, price. We chose the Icelandic glacial water, with their prize Japanese glacial water going for over 250 Euros a bottle

You may think water tastes all the same, but this really was crystal clear and a massive treat

Eventually the waiter presented us with the wine menu...

Tempted as I was to peruse thousands of wines, I was here on vacation, not to read Lord of the Rings. Thanks to the suggestion of the sommelier, we settled on a bottle of 2009 Piandelle Vigne brunello di montalcino which was positively delectable. There were also a few other white wines that drifted past during the night, but their names elude me.

The bread table made regular rounds along with the witty bread cutter, who was always willing to oblige with bread or a joke.

He was tailed by the salt-selection waiter, who offered from several types of salts. Try the black Hawaiian sea salt... it's a winner.

Amuse bouche

Lobster medallions in lemongrass and yuzu

Smoked scallops with red beet shell

"Tonno Tonnato"

Fagotelli la Pergola... a sensational signature dish.

The cod with chili pepper sauce was my favourite dish of the evening and was unbeatable.

Looking for Ossobuco

The veal cheek was softer than warm butter.

Luckily the mains were coming to an end as I was becoming seriously full. Unfortunately the cheese cart was lurking in the background like a predator just waiting to pounce. And pounce it did...

The scenery was then changed for the grand dessert. Luckily it was the last course. Unfortunately the "grand" part was entirely accurate as we were presented with five courses of dessert. A young woman next to us started whimpering with fatigue at the sight, but those types always clean their plates the quickest. Nice try, lady.

One

Two hiding

Two exposed!

Three... with a most apt sailboat to kiss my waistline goodbye.

Lovely sweet dessert wine

Four!

and five!!

What a brilliant evening and one of my favourite restaurant experiences of all time. From the extreme booking conditions, to the formality, the bling and the amazing staff and food, it just could not be faulted. To round it off we had chef Heinz Beck waiting for us at the exit to shake our hands and thank us for our patronage.

Did I mention the view?

Old Oct 17, 2015, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stevie
Very nice pics. QR looks great!
Thanks stevie, I love QR

Originally Posted by hkskyline
They can control all the windows at the flick of a switch? Dislike!!!!!!!!

Doha seems like an interesting small place for a night stopover. I used to fly QR a lot but out back but always transited for a few hours only.
Thanks hkskyline, yes the despotic windows in the 787 are tiresome, but even on the A380 I had a QR attendant lean over to close my window shade earlier this year "because everyone wants to sleep" at 9am on a morning flight.

The new airport hotel is great, but I haven't yet stayed in Doha city.

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Very refreshing, I like the cabin. Cheers ^
Thanks djjaguar

Originally Posted by DreamTrip
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the rest ^
Thanks DreamTrip

Originally Posted by jubbing
Great start! Looking forward to your review of 'Rome's Cavalieri Waldorf Astoria' because was very interested in staying there - but it seems a little far from the main sites so I didn't want to waste extra time travelling. However, I will wait for your view
Thanks jubbing, well I hope my review of the hotel was comprehensive enough . There are pros and cons to staying there. It is far from tourist attractions and the shuttle takes about 30 minutes to get to the destination stop that is within 15 minutes walking distance to the Colosseum. It's a beautiful hotel with a great breakfast, but the WiFi did irritate me constantly. ^ ^
Old Oct 17, 2015, 6:44 pm

Wow, Bahrain looks so small at 30k feet, almost as small as Singapore.

The five course dessert looks divine.

Congratulations on the rugby result too, and all the best for the semi-final match against us next Saturday.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Lovely! I always love to read reports with fine dining involved. Thanks for sharing.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SAtraveller
How cute! Was it really the whole course?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: A3 *G; AA EXP
Amazing trip report and great shots of the Qatar Dreamliner Cabin!

The seats seem great but it looked like it was a little bit difficult to take pictures out of the window.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:49 am

Programs: Skywards, Miles&More
Great trip report. Loking forward for the rest.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:13 am
Original Poster

3. Spending time in Rome

We then started spending some time in Rome. On our last cruise we'd had only a few hours to peruse the attractions in the city, and we swore that one day we would return. Each day (and night) we made a trip into the city to see as much as we could, and it was thoroughly enjoyable.

Most of Italy (and perhaps Europe) is under restoration, and the Trevi fountain was drained and completely enclosed. I did manage to crop the construction and get the upper area.

Miniature car being charged.

Can't decide if these things look better in the day or night...

After purchasing our Colosseum tickets online, we entered the ancient structure with minimal hassle. The audio guide was average, but it was nevertheless intriguing to learn about the structure and all the functions it has fulfilled from the Romans to the early church.

We then took a quick taxi to the Pantheon, which is remarkable considering its mathematical accuracy as well as when it was built.

One evening we searched for a relatively good and available restaurant on Tripadvisor. We found a small little gem nested in an alley that turned out to be quite a choice seafood experience. Friendly staff and almost no other patrons, what more could one ask for?

For our last day we headed off to the Vatican. While we had done the Vatican museum and Sistine chapel before, we had never been to St Peters. Despite the free entrance, we booked online 'skip the line' tickets. The company told us to meet them under a blue umbrella, and it turned out to be quite an easy thing to spot among the hordes of people at the Vatican. Good decision too, as the line leading to St Peters was probably a mile long.

St Peters turned out to be exquisite inside and one of those special architectural wonders in the world. We relished the experience, except for the audio guide that was basically hours of verbose Vatican propaganda that we stopped using after half an hour.

Michelangelo's Pieta... an astonishing sculpture, and to think that he was only 24 when he made it. It's also the only work of his that he ever personally signed.

That evening we found another great restaurant. It was a little more touristy and busy, but luckily we sat next to a couple who spent two hours on their Iphones and didn't say a word (even to each other).

The walk home

When we arrived back at the hotel we were privy to a fireworks display that was arranged for a private function hosted by the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.