Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Toronto luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toronto luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Google
Park Hyatt is one of the best hotel in toronto.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SaraClane
Park Hyatt is one of the best hotel in toronto.
Not better than any of the aforementioned hotels.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Stayed at the Trump for two nights this week - first time I have ever stayed in Toronto, oddly. Upgraded to a suite for no good reason!

It is perhaps the most stylish hotel suite I have ever had, but VERY masculine. Lots of black and chrome. My mother, who was with me in a different suite, hated it!

Service good. Didn't eat in the restaurant except for breakfast, which is a la carte only. Pool was OK but didn't offer much space around it for lounging. Only wide enough for three lap swimmers at a time.

Not much in the way of public space. The lobby is small as is the ground floor bar. The restaurant is 30 floors up.

Having visited the Yorkville area during the couple of days I was there, I can see why you would prefer to stay there. The Financial District is a bit raggedy (compared to London) and lacking in restaurants. On the other hand, if you are only there for a day or so and want to see Yorkville and the harbour area, you will be shuttling between the two areas anyway.

I could happily have spent a week in the Trump suite but, if I came back with my wife and kids, I think we'd gravitate to the FS purely for location.

(Shangri-La is also downtown near the Trump. Both the S-La, FS and Trump are hotel and condo combos. All are incredibly tall buildings and, frankly, I get a feeling from all three that the hotel is only there so that the condos could be branded.)

PS. Having just checked the price, a Deluxe Suite midweek - admittedly in August - is only C$665 per night plus tax. Frankly, this seems like very good value for money for 800 square feet of very elegant room.

Last edited by Raffles; Aug 16, 2015 at 3:55 pm
Old Aug 16, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Raffles
PS. Having just checked the price, a Deluxe Suite midweek - admittedly in August - is only C$665 per night plus tax. Frankly, this seems like very good value for money for 800 square feet of very elegant room.
It is worth noting that there are some very good deals on luxury rooms in Toronto at the moment. That price is pretty typical, and I find the 4S, S-La, and Ritz all pretty close in terms of prices. But with the Canadian economy slowing, and the C$ being very low relative to the USD (down some 25% over the last 2.5 years or so), you can get some very attractive rates in USD. Visiting Toronto, or Fogo Island, or any other high end Canadian property is particularly attractive right now for foreigners.

I am glad to hear the Trump is at least decent. I won't stay there (because of, well, Trump!) but I am very happy to hear that there are a growing number of choices for luxury properties in Toronto. I can only hope the rest of Canada takes note.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm just surprised how torn up my SL Premier room looks. Just a worn office chair and some of the dark wood edges of the bathroom door. The wall separating two windows is also stupid.

The noise off University Ave and the fire trucks fighting blazes is pretty bad here too. Early 2009 and they didn't use soundproof glass or something like that?

Last edited by Aventine; Oct 3, 2015 at 6:46 pm
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My first Park Hyatt with a shower curtain and the most confounding shower handle ever. You have to bend and pull to get the pressure and then turn in the opposite direction for hot and cold. Push down and in to turn off.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Aventine

My first Park Hyatt with a shower curtain and the most confounding shower handle ever. You have to bend and pull to get the pressure and then turn in the opposite direction for hot and cold. Push down and in to turn off.
Not the best bathroom in this world
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum
Not the best bathroom in this world
Maybe in the early 80s it was state of the art?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Aventine
Maybe in the early 80s it was state of the art?
Perhaps, but not even sure about this If yes, Im glad its over
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum
Perhaps, but not even sure about this If yes, Im glad its over
The views were stunning but the hardware and service at PH Toronto are sorely lacking.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

among Toronto\'s finest Shangri-la Toronto

Shangri-la Hotel Toronto

Map| 3 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Shangri-la Hotel Toronto

188 University Avenue Toronto, ON CA M5H 0A3

among Toronto's finest Shangri-la Toronto (0 Photo)

Shangri-la Hotel Toronto

A somewhat familar feeling stay at a very familar brand.

Room

The room was miles nicer than PH Toronto because it was MODERN and pretty much like every other luxury Asian hotel I've ever stayed at. People looking for a change from Asia should probably avoid going here with all the Asian art, prints, design motifs going on. Like going from a steamship to a Tesla. No flipping on half a dozen lamps. No manually figuring out how to do half dozenblinds. All switches can be done by bedside buttons - very much like all the Asian luxury hotels I stay at. The iPad to order room service is also very neat and also contains all your necessary room information. No need for booklets and brochures at SL Toronto.

I was surprised how worn my Premier room was though. The hotel is recent new but this room has seen better days. The office chair's leather looked like someone really put butt miles on it. The dark room door corners was a little chipped too. Hard to keep the cashmere throw fresh looking after dry cleaning for each guest and stay?

The heated floors came in handy with the cold spell Toronto was having this past week. The only hotel I've ever seen with heated floors and it's much better than the Korean ondol style heated floors (usually done under linoleum).

Just very noisy being along University Avenue and you could hear EMS vehicles go up and down. The hotel is also on the lowest floors so you're closer to the action - for better or worse.

Dining

BOSK:

Excellent. Better than Annona at PHinevery way. Just younger, hipper and more creative. They use excellent, locally sourced ingredients to make exciting fare. Didn't dine in the restaurantfor dinner but I totally would have because the room service bolognaise was well-done. They do all the hotel's in-room dining orders and room service breakfasts. The only thing is the breakfast portion size was a little small. I could see big eaters having a problem with one sunny side up egg, a few thin strips of bacon and toast.

Spa

Utterly disappointing as my partner had been excited to go there and they ended up giving away her reservation. Less than 10 mins from between callsand they did it because couldn't provide CC number (to PH concierge) while driving. Under different management by Caudalie and not a standard SL CHI spa. The facilities themselves are quite spectacular.

Shangri-La easily has one of the best locations in the city –at the crossroads of the Toronto financial and entertainment districtand just a quick walk from the Eatons Centre. The restaurants on Queen and King Street are a streetcar or house carride away. It’s also next to a subway station, making it easy to get to the shopping and museums in Yorkville. You could also walk if it's a nice day. straight up University Avenue and around Queen's Park.

Service

Service was quite polished. Servers poured wine or water with grace and all requests were answered by Guest services. Housekeeping was detailed and non-intrusive. Never knew they were there and they respected the privacy indicator unlike PH Toronto. I'd say this hotel has some of the finest overall service in the city. It's not SL Tokyo good but very, very few places are.

Overall

I liked SL Toronto. There are so many things right about this hotelbut it feels too familiar because we live in Asia and frequent SL Tokyo often enough. Not the hotel's fault that we're lucky enough to be at its sister hotel. I would definitely recommend it as a luxury hotel option in Toronto. You're in the middle of everything and got a lot of good Asian inspired touchesto pamper you with.

among Toronto's finest Shangri-la Toronto

Would you like to write a review on the Shangri-la Hotel Toronto?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:27 pm

Can anyone comment on the Hazelton? I was told this was one of the best luxury properties in Toronto yet there is only one passing reference in this thread.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by illico
Can anyone comment on the Hazelton? I was told this was one of the best luxury properties in Toronto yet there is only one passing reference in this thread.
I've heard good things that people love its true boutique hotel feel and service. I just didn't give it much consideration because it's right near the Yonge and Bloor condo construction hell.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by illico
Really enjoy the Hazelton. Rooms are spacious and well appointed. I enjoy the breakfast at One and they are welcoming to pets so when we bring our yellow lab, we stay there. They're an FHR property as well. It has an exclusive boutique feel and the staff are very friendly. It's only a few floors so quick and easy to access.

It's right across the street from PH. PH rooms are in need of an implosion. The bathrooms and the furniture are horrendous. Views are great of the city from the South tower. Location is also fabulous for Yorkville. Breakfast at Annona is good. However, I wouldn't pay more than $200/nt to stay there based on the horrible hard product alone.

IMO FS has best hard product and service in Yorkville area for the standard high rise hotel. Shangri-La has nice hard product and great restaurants. I don't like the location on University Ave though... I like the rooms at RC and it's great if you are attending concert at Roy Thompson Hall.

In short, it depends on how long you're staying and what kind of hotel you are looking for (boutique vs standard high rise)
Great improvement in hotels for Toronto in the past few years...
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xray
Really enjoy the Hazelton. Rooms are spacious and well appointed. I enjoy the breakfast at One and they are welcoming to pets so when we bring our yellow lab, we stay there. They're an FHR property as well. It has an exclusive boutique feel and the staff are very friendly. It's only a few floors so quick and easy to access.

It's right across the street from PH. PH rooms are in need of an implosion. The bathrooms and the furniture are horrendous. Views are great of the city from the South tower. Location is also fabulous for Yorkville. Breakfast at Annona is good. However, I wouldn't pay more than $200/nt to stay there based on the horrible hard product alone.
Needs a complete demolishment for sure. I found the Annona room service choices to be decent but nothing stood out really. A bit of a letdown for a PH, IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.