Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

62-100 Mauna Kea Beach Dr Kamuela, HI US 96743

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel (0 Photo)

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

Public Areas of the Hotel Entry into the hotel from the driveway

Part of the Lobby

Room

I was in a Deluxe Ocean view room:

This is a great room as when the hotel renovated they took 3 old rooms and created 2 deluxe ocean rooms out of that space. That is why there is a large bathroom, dressing area, and a balcony off the bathroom as well. The room is not overly luxurious but comfortable enough -- the balcony is great and is probably the best feature of the room. A couple shots of the view from the room:

Beach

Mauna Kea Beach has a gorgeous beach. However, in December, the surf is pretty strong. I actually had to close the door to the lanai at night as the sound of the waves were so loud it kept waking me up! Some additional photos:

The nicest sunset.....

Dining

I had a chance to have dinner at Manta and the food was top notch. The mahi crusted in macadamia with lilikoi sauce was divine. I liked that the food came piping hot; so often in North America, food comes warm but not piping hot. Service was attentive.

There is a pub on-site with a sushi bar and live music. It was so nice to hear a local singing Hawaiian folk songs during happy hour -- since my room was situated above the pub I could hear the singing with the lanai doors open.

Breakfast is a lavish buffet at Manta. Just beware of the birds -- they are hungry and have no issues in pecking at your food.

The Beachfront bar is popular with guests -- all seats were taken and judging by the conviviality a great time is had by all.

Overall

MKB is a solid 4 star hotel. The rooms are comfortable but not luxe. Food and beverage is solid and the hotel has a great beach. It does not have a very good pool, however. Service in the restaurants are good but in other areas they lack the polish and attentiveness of other hotels -- part of it is that MKB is a very relaxed property but part of it is training and service standards. The George V it is not and nor should it be.

Finally, a taxi from MKB to KOA is a flat fare of $90 and can be charged to your room account.

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

Would you like to write a review on the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.