Search

Four Seasons Hualalai

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:00 pm
No longer at Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: America Advantage
Four Seasons Hualalai

Introduction My family and I went to the 4S on the big island in June 2012. We were looking for a beach resort that had nice dinning, diving and kid friendly. Received several recommendations to try the Hualalai so we did and this is my report. Check In Room was ready when we got their and we were given a property tour via golf cart.A van from the hotel met us at the airport. Travelling with a 2 year old can be difficult so it was really nice to have the driver help with the luggage. the recption area was very dramatic open air room with high celings and sweeping ocean view. They has some cold fruit juice beverages waiting for us while we checked in. Not a 4S excusive idea but always fun. Room Im not a robe guy but they did have them availible, as well as slippers and thongs.Our 2 room suit was very nice over looking their snorkling lagoon. It felt nice but not over the top which worked for us in a family setting. Luxury hotels can seem a bit much when you have a 2 year old. Service The only weirdness was on the golf course. Not sure if the 4S operates the course but it was a group who really didn't seem to give a rip. I guess this is 'par for the course' but I felt like we were being chased by a team of 30 lawn mowers. Yes they need to mow the grass on a course but I don't this I have ever seen course where there were more people with lawn mowers than clubs. Usually gardeners stop the machines when you hit but not there. Even the club house guys were annoying.As usual for Four Seasons the service was awesome. I found myself says Aloha to everyone and there mother. Staff always friendly and polite. Pretty much as close as it could be to going to see my grandmother, no matter where we were on the property. Attendance at the pool were amazing and we felt comfortable the entire stay. Dining Yes I guess its pricey but nothing that I didn't expect. The food was great and that was a big reason we were there. There aren't many choices off property near by so I think you really need to like the food at the resort or it could dampen the trip.The restaurants were lovely. I pretty much hate buffets but their BBQ seafood version was awesome and a lot of fun. Friendly casual environment with an old school Hawaiian feel. Beach After reading more than one poor review of the beach I had my expectations set pretty low. I think for the most part other reviewers have been a little to harsh on this point. Its clearly not the white sand beaches of Maldives but there is a sandy beach with some so-so snorkeling.  There are umbrellas and beach chairs provided by the property and the service on the beach by the FS staff is phenominal.  If the only thing feature considered someone is choosing a resort is the beach I could understand an arguement that they might not like this FS. But our group had no complaints.  Check-out There is a snorkeling pool with cold salt water. It probably the right mix of safe adventure for novice swimmers who are interested in shallow reef fish. They have a small ray that is pretty cool if you haven't seen one before. They do a ray feeding once a day for the guests which is really neat for the kids.I think there were at least 4 pools. The largest was for families which is where we spent most of our time. There was an adults only pool farther down the property. It was nice knowing my son wasn't ruining someone else quite relaxing vacation. There was also a sandy wading pool for toddlers. Olympic lap pool in the exercise are was great after my workouts. All very nice and warm.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:14 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka\'upulehu

Introduction <br>Where else to stay on Hawaii while the FS is undergoing construction? There's not a clear-cut answer.<br>What about the construction? This is heavy construction. There is a <a href="http://www.fourseasons.com/hualalai/enhancements/" target="_blank">special unpublished website</a> that has a map showing the state of construction for any set of dates that you would want to consider. FS is "filling in" the space between some of the detached buildings in order to create additional suites, and there was heavy construction equipment in plain view on the Kings Pond crescent during my visit. The entire Beach Tree crescent was closed as they were enlarging the pool.<br>This is a low-rise property with the units contained in four "crescents" facing the beach. Guest rooms are beautiful, and many of the ground floor rooms have private outdoor showers. Each crescent has its own pool. They say that guests either love or hate King's Pond (at the north end of the beach). This crescent surrounds a completely natural pool formed with lava rock, and I saw guests snorkeling in it. However, the crescent doesn't have the beautiful lawns that the other three crescents have - and I personally wouldn't want to stay here. The Palm Grove crescent (at the south end of the beach) is best for honeymooners and couples on a romantic trip to Hawaii as it has an adults-only pool.This is, without question, my favorite of all the properties I saw. Except for the fact that there is some major construction currently underway.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:07 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka\'upulehu

Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu

72-100 Ka'upulehu Drive Kailua-Kona, HI US 96740

Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu (0 Photo)

This is a stunning resort. It low key, unpretentious, luxurious without being overly luxe. I think I will let the photos I took of the resort speak for themselves.The Lobby and view from Lobby

Sorry for the blurry photo-- I was so giddy to be here!!

Room

My room - an Ocean View in Palm Grove

One of the lanai's of a massive suite....

Dining

From my lunch at Beach Tree Restaurant

Resort Photos

The resort was fairly full when I was there in mid-December, about 85% which is about their year-round average. The only time I knew it was this full was at breakfast time:

For those concerned of the availability of beach chairs -- there was no such issue while I was on property:

Some of the pools

King's Pond:

Overall

Of all the resorts I stayed at, Hualalai was by far my favourite. It truly is a special resort and situated on a very special Island. There is a spirituality to the Big Island that I did not feel on any of the other islands I visited on this trip.

Service is warm and friendly throughout. I don't think there is a bad room at the resort; the suites however, are all very nice and are a splurge. I liked being in Palm Grove to be close to serene adults pool. Virtually all of the return guests have their preferred crescents but I think it is fun to explore them all.

The efforts of the resort to be local and of Hawaii is laudable from locally sourced products in the restaurants, to the toiletries in the bathrooms. It was nice to see staff using bicycles to get around the resort delivering items to guest rooms, including room service meals.

Golf buggy service is available for those who have more mobility issues or even vision issues. The Spa complex is beautiful and there is plenty to do, from tennis courts, to many complimentary activities. While there is no proper beach at the resort there is a small area where children can play protected from the powerful currents and some sea life. There is also King's Pond and many pools to choose from.

Complimentary self parking is a nice touch along with several dining outlets. Beach Tree was my favourite as was the breakfast at ULU. ULU for dinner was a mixed bag, the concept a little confused. Sushi was actually quite good but some of the other items from the kitchen were more hit or miss.

The coffee shop is nice for simple sandwiches, cookies, coffee beverages and the Shake Shack along by the kids pool is great for shaved ice and other treats.

The head Concierge is Clefs D'Or and was on the opening team at the George V -- his team know the Big Island inside out. A great resource of knowledge -- they found me a great sushi joint on the way up to Mauna Kea Beach!!

I cannot recommend this resort highly enough and I cannot wait to return with my own family.

Here are some final observations:

-It was tough to go to Mauna Kea Beach AFTER Hualalai but I did like their F&B a lot. Perhaps it is more cohesive with a more defined identity. The F&B at FS Wailea is also very strong. Hualalai needs a little more tweaking, I think.

-I was very pleasantly surprised by the two resorts on Lanai. The Lodge at Koele is such a unique property -- I hope when Ellison and Co renovate this property they keep its uniqueness.

-I am looking forward to what Manele Bay can become. It has the potential to be a truly fantastic resort.

-If you need a beach on the Big Island, Mauna Kea Beach will fit the bill. If you want to relax by a pool, then Mauna Kea Beach may not be the best property as the pool is very disappointing.

-Not having a swimmable beach is one large strike against Hualalai but they do try their best to overcome that with the array of pools, including the unique Kings Pond. There is a pool for everyone.

The key thing to keep in mind for all the properties I visited is room allocation. Be sure to speak to your Travel Advisor and be clear about what you want and don't want so that we can do our best to ensure the properties allocate the correct room type as best as they can.

Hope you enjoyed this photo report!

Would you like to write a review on the Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.