Community
Wiki Posts
Search

clearing into R on the phone

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
If the system waits at all - let alone "a little while" - it won't do the right thing because as soon as R>1 a user on the web applying a new instrument will upgrade instantly. That is what a number of folks posting above don't seem to recognize. It isn't just about jumping queues by calling in - anyone applying a new instrument or mileage upgrade when R>1 and the waitlist has someone on it will clear ahead of the list. And lest anyone say that UA should force new requests onto a waitlist - that would be even worse in the general case where you are only willing to book a flight where upgrades are available. That would take the "W lottery" to a new level of risk.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I think it is hard to conclude anything about today's situation because so many of the posts were dated expereinces.
I've done this twice in the past few days.

On Tuesday night I saw R1 for my Wednesday afternoon flight, called, applied an RPU, and was cleared. It took about 15 minutes on hold.

On Thursday night I saw R1 for my Friday afternoon flight even though I had already been waitlisted with an RPU. It took about 10 minutes on hold.

I feel a little bit guilty for the Tuesday gambit, since I was applying a new instrument. I don't feel guilty at all for the Thursday gambit.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fadeforward
I've done this twice in the past few days.

On Tuesday night I saw R1 for my Wednesday afternoon flight, called, applied an RPU, and was cleared. It took about 15 minutes on hold.

On Thursday night I saw R1 for my Friday afternoon flight even though I had already been waitlisted with an RPU. It took about 10 minutes on hold.

I feel a little bit guilty for the Tuesday gambit, since I was applying a new instrument. I don't feel guilty at all for the Thursday gambit.
No need to feel guilty, these are the games COdbaUA forces us to play
Old Sep 30, 2012, 3:24 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I thought GPU is supposed to transfer from regular waitlist to T-24 automatically? How did you re-add it?
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Are you serious? When a GPU disappears at T-24, you have to do an SDC to a new flight then SDC back to original flight to re-apply it?
No, made an SDC to a different flight, then applied the GPU.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks everyone who replied to this. It looks as if we can conclude that we are still in the "Wild West" here, and, despite what the new expert mode disclaimer says, if you have an RPU/GPU waitlisted and see R>0, you should definitely phone and request to be cleared manually. In other words, there is no change to the frustrating situation that has existed for months.

I wonder if Shannon could comment on this conclusion?
Old Oct 6, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: JL JMB Diamond 1.4 MM, UA 1P 1.2 MM
clearing into R on the phone

Just cleared over the phone into R this morning right after T-24. LAX - JFK tomorrow morning on pmco 2 class 757 with BF seats. Had applied a miles upgrade months ago. No R space opened up till T-23:50.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:33 am

Called the 1K line and got denied by the phone agent for upgrading R=1 with a GPU over the phone.

Edit: and called back and got upgraded.

Last edited by Lurker1999; Oct 7, 2012 at 10:39 am
Old Oct 7, 2012, 12:01 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
Called the 1K line and got denied by the phone agent for upgrading R=1 with a GPU over the phone.

Edit: and called back and got upgraded.
Ditto same recent experience.

I applied a GPU to a colleague's CDG-ORD about 6 days out; it waitlisted.

Four days prior, I got an EF alert that R space open.

First agent I called: not willing to clear -- "wait and system will handle automatically."

Second agent: put me on hold, came back with it cleared.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I've been waitlisted to upgrade ORD-MUC for just a few days using a GPU. Tonight, I just happened to check and R=4. Go figure. Still was waitlisted so called UA and they cleared me into R. It might have cleared automatically but didn't want to take the chance.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I've been waitlisted to upgrade ORD-MUC for just a few days using a GPU. Tonight, I just happened to check and R=4. Go figure. Still was waitlisted so called UA and they cleared me into R. It might have cleared automatically but didn't want to take the chance.
This has been happening a lot. I never let it clear automatically. As soon as I get notified that R space is available I call right away.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Just did the same to two seats IAD-LHR using GPUs (and thanks to ExpertFlyer). Took a few minutes and the agent had to ask for help but we finally concluded that it was because I was logged into the reservation (no changes just watching). Once I closed the window, they went through fine and no issues at all from the phone agent - good service.

Only problem now is that one of the seat selections won't hold but that's a different thread.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hans
Only problem now is that one of the seat selections won't hold but that's a different thread.
That's an ongoing problem that has been happening for months. The seat assignment doesn't hold for the web-based system passengers use but it generally sticks on United's end.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:28 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hans
Just did the same to two seats IAD-LHR using GPUs (and thanks to ExpertFlyer). Took a few minutes and the agent had to ask for help but we finally concluded that it was because I was logged into the reservation (no changes just watching). Once I closed the window, they went through fine and no issues at all from the phone agent - good service.

That is usually not an issue...never has been a problem for me. I'm always logged into the reservation when calling. Is that a new system "feature" ?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by nycityny
That's an ongoing problem that has been happening for months. The seat assignment doesn't hold for the web-based system passengers use but it generally sticks on United's end.
Yup. Had this happen twice on recent itins and called in to switch to a seat that appeared not to be sticking. Rep said it said the seat I wanted on their end. Eventually .sux updated itself.

Originally Posted by sammyindc
That is usually not an issue...never has been a problem for me. I'm always logged into the reservation when calling. Is that a new system "feature" ?
This was an issue several times shortly after the .bomb was subsumed by .sux. Recently I haven't noticed any problems.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 1:22 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Had another successful experience with this.

EF alerted me that BOS-SFO R space had opened (a single seat) on a flight I was RPU waitlisted on.

I called and easily cleared into it; agent (PMUA, I think) wondered why it hadn't happened automatically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.