Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa C, a little Etihad C and a new Camera to Dubai, Kuwait and Abu Dhabi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More;
Lufthansa C, a little Etihad C and a new Camera to Dubai, Kuwait and Abu Dhabi

New year - new travel season - and finally i found the time to write the first Tripreport for this year. (Hey thats a new pattern - its been only three weeks since i returned - must be a new record for me...)
I had a little free time during the holidays - and Lufthansa had some very good offers in Business Class - so i took a short trip to the Persian Gulf. The outbound flight form Munich to Dubai - and the return from Abu Dhabi via Frankfurt back to Munich. I have been to Dubai a few times the last years - so to see something new i also booked a short sidetrip to Kuwait.

Regular readers of my trip reports may have noticed that i love to take pictures. Most of the time i don`t mind carrying my DSLR with all the equipment (like different lenses or a tripod) with me - but sometimes its too much or simply inconvinent. So this trip was also a little experiment. A few weeks ago i bought a smaller camera that actually fits into my pocket (hardly - but it does) for those situations where i didn`t want to carry the huge DSLR with me. Its only meant as a supplement - but to try it out i only took the new camera with me on the trip. (which would have worked fine - but the aperture started to make trouble from the second day - most of the time it simply didn`t close and only took pictures with an wide open f/2 aperture) I also tried a new workflow: Usually i shoot in RAW because it gives you more choices when working with your pictures on the computer (but also requires it which can take some time) For this trip to keep it simple i used the JPEG Format with the options you have in the camera to use the pictures out of camera. (i was satisfied with most of the results - but not all - my usual workflow for night shots for example is better with RAW)

So lets see the result...

The timing of the Munich to Dubai flight is almost perfect - it leaves Munich late in the Afternoon - and arrives in Dubai early in the morning.

The only downside is, that its almost too short to really get enough sleep.

Business Class on the A340-600 used for this flight is in the usual 2-2-2 arrangement. The seats are the standard Lufthansa Business Class seats that are the same throughout the whole widebody fleet.

While still on the ground there were of course the usual pre-departure beverages served like water, orange juice, sparkling wine - and one aditional choice:

I was sitting in row 4 - so during takeoff i had a view into the first class cabin - which was already equipped with the new FIRST Lufthansa is rolling out right now

Soon after takeoff the service started with a round of drinks

followed by Dinner

as Hors d`Ouvres where three different choices available

Prawn Cocktail
with Lemon Grass, Sesame, Lime and Cilantro Cream

Beef Salad
with Teriyaki Sauce

Mixed Salad
with Bamboo Shoots, Shiitake Mushrooms and Cashew Nuts presented with Ginger and Lime Dressing.

and three different Entrees

Green Curry
with Chicken Breast, fresh Vegetables, Cashew Nuts and Basmati Rice

Bean and Artichoke Ragout
with Ginger and Jasmin Rice

Lufthansa „Classic“
Trout a la Meuniere
with browned Butter, Leaf Spinach and Potatoes

accompanied by a selection of cheese
Bavaria Blue, Cream Cheese and Camenbert with Walnuts, Fig and Mustard Sauce

The service was adjusted to the (for a long haul flight) rather short flighttime. So not only did the Dinner Service start very soon after takeoff - they also served the Starter, the Entree and the Cheese on one tray.

Usually that would not be appropriate for Business Class - but considering the timing of the flight (and i am sure that most of the passangers wanted to catch as much sleep as possible) i think thats the right way to do it in this case.

Shortly bevore landing there was also a small breakfast served - but i slept through it.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Dubai

I only spent one day in Dubai - here are a few pictures i would like to share with you.

After dropping off my luggage at the hotel i first walked around the creek area. I even used one of the Abras to cross the creek to the other side.

The area araound the creek is the older part of Dubai - so instead of the chrome and glass highrise buildings or the shopping malls the city is famous for - this part looks different.

Did you know that in this part of the world the weekend starts on Friday? This of course means that a few businesses have to adopt:

Speaking of Friday - do you remember the great Buffet Tripreport blueline7 wrote a few months ago? Once again i had the opportunity to follow one of his recomendations and try the friday brunch at the Fairmont Hotel.

And it was spectacular! The food was very good (and not only laid out like on some buffets - there where different cooking stations where they would prepare it for you) There where also lots of different choices from all around the world. And considering that even cocktails where included (they even have a Sake-Machine) the price was quite reasonable.

The rest of the day i spent shopping in Dubai Mall.

But at night i of course had to try out how my new camera handles my favourite motif: Nightphotos

Here we have the Sheikh Zayed Road...

...and isn`t it great if you can see buildings that are more than 300 meters high from above?

Last edited by ARJ85; Jan 30, 2012 at 1:10 pm
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

DXB-KWI and Kuwait

The next day i went to Kuwait. Everybody here on Flyertalk for sure knows the three big players in the Gulf Area (Emirates, Etihad and Qatar of course) but there are also some smaller airlines around. Some of the for quite some time like Gulfair or Kuwait Airways - but also some new ones like Jazeera Airways or FlyDubai for example.

For my flight to Kuwait i took FlyDubai. The airlines uses Terminal 2 at DXB - which is a huge contrast to the spectacular Terminal 1 & 3! Terminal 2 looks like the usual small regional terminal you know from citys around the world.

Aside from FlyDubai a few other Airlines use the terminal for flights around the region.

As DXB is the homebase of Emirates there are of course some A380 around all the time.

When leaving Dubai i had the luck of sitting on the right side of the plane. I could see the Queen Elizabeth II - the last real Ocean Liner built for the transatlantic routes!

The rest of the city was still covered in fog/smog/sand (don`t know what - but you couldn`t really see a building that wasn`t at least 600 meters high ;-) )

The flight itself was uneventflul - it was on a Boeing 737-800 in one class Layout. Food and Drinks where available for purchase.

Kuwait is a country that doesn`t see much tourist traffic (propably because there is not much for tourists to see...) After checking in at my hotel i first strolled around the corniche

to the Kuwait Towers

which are the most famous landmark in Kuwait, built in 1979

But the newest adition to the skyline of Kuwait City (and also the highest building in Kuwait) is the Al Hamra Tower with 368 meters to the roof and 413 meters to the top of the antenna.

A stark contrast to the new Skyscrapers was the look from my hotel room. (I would have seen the Al Hamra Tower if my room would have been on the other side of the Hotel)

Last edited by ARJ85; Jan 30, 2012 at 1:39 pm
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

KWI-AUH and Abu Dhabi

For the return from Kuwait to Abu Dhabi i used some of my Etihad Guest Miles for a ticket in Business Class on Etihad Airlines.

Other than Emirates which uses a widebody for the Kuwait route (OK - they don`t have anything else - so what should they do...) Etihad uses a narrowbody A319 on this route.

the other unusual thing in the picture is that there are really boarding bridges out there with advertising from other banks than RBS or HSBC on it...

Where most european airlines use the normal economy seats (with a free middle seat) Etihad has a real business class (Recliner-) Seat on the A319.

Of course there where pre-departure-beverages served

followed by a tray with cold and warm snacks shortly after takeoff

At most of its destinations Etihad provides a Chauffeur Service for Business and First Class Passengers. And the nice thing about that: Without a complicated fineprint or exceptions - if the destination has a Chauffeur Service - you can use it. No matter if you arrive from a rather short flight, or if it is no revenue ticket but an award ticket. So after landing and clearing immigration i went to the Chauffeur Desk at the airport (there is a dedicated desk at AUH - on the other destinations you get picked up by the driver when you clear customs) and soon was in a nice Audi-Limousine on my way to the Hotel.

There are a few differences between Dubai and Abu Dhabi - one is that the waterfront is more accesible in Abu Dhabi - the famous Corniche running along the north coast of the Island.

Another difference is the amount of Mosques i saw in Abu Dhabi.

Sometimes when you walk past one you are in front of the next one.

And also when looking out of my Hotel Room

Although they have quite a few highrise buildings in Abu Dhabi there are no really big skysrcrapers in the city...

... but they still aim high

One of the most famous sights in Abu Dhabi is the Sheikh Zayed Mosque - around halfway between the City Center and the Airport. It is one of the biggest Mosques in the world - big enough to accomodate over 40.000 people!

Last edited by ARJ85; Jan 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

one more thing

Unfortunately i don`t have any pictures from my return flight from Abu Dhabi as i slept for almost the whole flight - even skipped both meals. But arrived rested in Munich - right in time for work.

But i still have one more thing - the main reason why i visited Dubai. On a frequent flyer forum people for sure understand planespotters that travel the world to distant airports to take pictures from exotic planes. Well than you sure also understand skysraper nerds like me...
So after visiting New York City, Chicago, Shanghai, Hongkong, Taipeh, Nanking and Kuala Lumpur the Burj Khalifa was still missing in my list (at least a finished Burj Khalifa - it was still under construction when i was there the last time)

But here it finally is - 828 Meters high - tallest in the world:

And unlike some other skysrapers in Dubai - its really a simple and elegant beauty.

So thanks for reading that report - i hope you enjoyed it. And as always - if you have any questions - just ask.

If you are interested in any of my other reports:

Etihad First and Australia
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...australia.html

Lufthansa & Swiss First and Japan
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...rst-japan.html

Asiana & Lufthansa First and Seoul/Hongkong/Beijing
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ul-flyers.html

Austrian, Vietnam Airlines & Lufthansa Business and Vietnam
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-business.html

Lufthansa JU-52
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...2-muc-szg.html

Lufthansa First/Business and Nanking/Beijing
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-first-tr.html

Last edited by ARJ85; Jan 30, 2012 at 2:41 pm
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:52 pm

Hi ARJ85

The picture really looks good. Which camera did you use for taking these pictures?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:05 pm

Thanks for the report, I enjoyed reading it and seeing your photos. I will have to check out your other reports.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Awesome pictures. What point and shoot did you use?

What hotels did you end up using (if you don't mind me asking)?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:22 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Great report.

Lovely to see photos of Kuwait - I certainly hope to visit there one day, perhaps on a stopover or something . . .

Thank you for posting.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have always been looking forward to your night photography. Fantastic photos with technical excellence.

Hope I will be able to find a decent size light weight tripod to travel with me on my business trips to take night photos.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dickson0928
Hi ARJ85

The picture really looks good. Which camera did you use for taking these pictures?
Originally Posted by fieldeng
Awesome pictures. What point and shoot did you use?
Thanks for your kind words. Regarding Camera - i used a Fuji X100 for the pictures. I really love it - its still small enough to carry around with you everywhere - but has the same sensor size like my DSLR. But i wouldn`t really call it a point and shoot One of the great things about that camera (beside the picture quality of course) is, that you have direct access to aperture and exposure times (even easier than with my DSLR) And beside all the technical qualities - it also looks great:

http://thepictorial.com/wp-content/u...1-_KLP3510.jpg
(its the one in the front)

Originally Posted by fieldeng
What hotels did you end up using (if you don't mind me asking)?
I chose my hotels primary because of the location an the price - so i ended up with:

Rose Rayhaan by Rotana in Dubai
at Sheikh Zayed Road - so very close to the Fairmont Hotel for Brunch, and the Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa and also not to far from the Airport. Also the Metro/Subway station would have been right in Front of the Hotel - but i didn`t use it. Also as far as i know it is currently the highest all-hotel skyscraper in the world

Ibis Sharq in Kuwait
its nothing fancy - but within easy walking distance to the Corniche and the Kuwait Towers

Hilton Baynunah in Abu Dhabi
located almost in the middle of the corniche

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I have always been looking forward to your night photography. Fantastic photos with technical excellence.

Hope I will be able to find a decent size light weight tripod to travel with me on my business trips to take night photos.
Thanks for your kind words. My next Trip will take me to Montreal in March. For that trip my goal is to concentrate more on streetphotos of the citylife like you do in your wonderful reports. (I just realised i finally succeeded in finishing a report bevore i make my next trip)
Oh and if you are looking for a small travel tripod: i use a Gorillapod: http://joby.com/gorillapod
they are available in different sizes, won`t work with a huge DSLR with a big zoom lens - but for a smaller one, or also for a point and shoot they will work fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.