Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA001 London - New York (5th Sep 2002)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2004, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
BA001 London - New York (5th Sep 2002)

BA001 London-New York (5th September 2002) (Fotki version)
or the Sexier Imagestation version

Username: flyertalk
Password: flyertalk

I have finally got round to uploading some of my travel photos. Here is the accompanying trip report:

As a budding pilot I thought the only way of traveling to New York for my holiday would be Concorde. To give me an extra day in New York I opted not to take the BA002 flight home and opted for the BA116, leaving JFK at around 10pm.

For those who haven't flown aboard British Airways finest, Concorde is the most hassle free way to fly you could come across. But then it has to be, I mean you could never have top celebrities or business executives lifting a finger could you!

The Concorde check-in is combined with British Airways First passengers in a small alcove at the end of the departure hall in Terminal 4. Concorde passengers take further priority over First passengers, this caused dismay as a 18 year student (myself) was jumping past executives queuing for the later Los Angeles and Dubai flights. Check-in was a no queue affair and 10minutes after arriving in Terminal 4 I was already in duty-free. Fast-Track immigration (open to Concorde, First and Business Class passengers) was worth its weight in gold as I breezed past the 1 hour queue for regular immigration.

The Concorde Room opposite Gate 10 is exclusively for Concorde and British Airways First passengers. The place was quite empty scattered with leather sofas and a great view over Concorde parked on the apron below. As soon as I was seated I was greeted by waitors offering free food and champagne which I obviously accepted. The champagne was rather nice and coupled with my breakfast it got me through to boarding at 10.15am. Boarding was direct from the lounge and security on the jetway was tight as I was once again searched by security. Upon getting in my seat 16A (in the rear cabin) I kept my eager eye out for any celebrities and film stars that frequent the transatlantic Concorde flights. There was one A-list actress who shall remain un-named as she did a pretty good job at avoiding recognition. The usual safety briefing over taxiing could begin and yet more champagne flowed this time Cattier Clos du Moulin 1996 Vintage (chosen from the Concorde cellar) I had a nice few glasses. During taxiing we had a briefing for 'Concorde virgins' on how the take-off run was a little sportier than your average subsonic plane.

Inflight you hardly notice the transition from subsonic flight and the nudge of breaking the sound barrier was hardly felt at all.

The Concorde fleet had been refurbished while it was grounded throughout much of 2000 and 2001 and as such new blue leather seats had been introduced. The seat pitch on Concorde is about the same Premium Economy on British Airways (38 inches). There is not the usual First Class pleasures on Concorde such as personal TV, just good old radio but then on a three and a half hour flight you don't need movies or masses of legroom. The food was served on Royal Doulton china and began with canapes and a variety of upmarket brunch type meals. Several courses of what can be described as bonsai meals were served, all very delicious that wouldn't look out of place in a good London or New York restaurant.

MENU:

Brunch

Canapes

Appetiser

Greek Yoghurt, fresh berries, toasted muesli and honeycomb

Entrees

Farmhouse brunch of scrambled eggs, pork sausage, grilled bacon, tomato and sauteed wild mushrooms

Sea bass with a leek and saffron reduction

Aubergine, red pepper torte with grilled courgettes, mushroom polenta, basil and tomato coulis

caesar salad with free range chicken breast, quails eggs and shaved truffles

Dessert

Chocolate and banana mousse on a hazelnut crust

or

Cheese

Stilton, goats cheese and unpasteurised Kirkham Lancashire

Selection of bread rolls

Coffee, decaffinated coffee, a selection of tea with chocolates

As an alternative to the full menu, we are pleased to offer a selection of freshly made sandwiches including salmon and cucumber, chicken salad and pastrami

WINE LIST

Champagne: Cattier, Clos du Moulin

White Wine: Corton-Charlemagne 1991 Domaine Bonneau du Martray

Red Wine: Chateau Smith-Haut-Lafite 1994 Grand Cru Classe Pessac-Leognan

Port: Dow's 1978 Reserve Tawny Port

The introduction of plastic cutlery aboard Concorde is seen as somewhat comical compared to the rest of the food, but a necessary precaution after September 11. The toilets at 58000ft are pretty ordinary and short on space like trying to go in your wardrobe with all your clothes hung up in it is the best description I can come up with!

The view from Concorde is spectacular. The plane climbs slowly throughout supersonic cruise and reaches a peak of around 58000ft just before descent into JFK. The window though very small gave a great panoramic view across the sky. The gentleman beside said that on a day when the cloud, some 30000ft below is plain flat you can see the spots that are the 747s and 777s on the cloud below. He was a regular Concorde passenger as the cabin crew were freely chatting to him. He was from Paris and shared his time between his homes on Long Island and the French capital. He said he used to use Air France Concorde but found out the British Airways was more superior and now flies with them. He told me he flew from Paris to London that morning to catch BA001 and that he flies on Concorde around 30 return trips a year Above eye-level the sky became very dark and somewhat intimidating. The claims that you can see the curvature of the earth are probably just the windows playing funny tricks as it wasn't clearly visible from 16A. You can also see how long you can hold your hand against the window for as it gets pretty hot at 1300mph.

Upon arrival in New York my name was called over the PA system. What was wrong with me? I held tight as all the other passengers left the aircraft. My Dad who has contacts at British Airways managed to get Chief Concorde Pilot Mike Bannister for my flight which was a complete surprise. So after we landed I had a tour of the cockpit and a chat with the man who in my view has probably the best job in the world. I was due to pick up special stationary and pack of other goodies for Concorde passengers but the flight was near full (90+ passengers) so they had run out. The cabin crew did say they would send one to my house and they did, it had arrived by the time I got home four days later. Good old British efficiency!

Immigration was a breeze as BA001 is one of the first international flights into JFK so the terminal was clear when I picked up my cases and caught the limo into town! On the way home I had the reality check of flying at the back of a 747, didnt quite live up to the outbound leg!

Last edited by fbgdavidson; May 29, 2004 at 5:43 pm
Old Jan 19, 2004, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
-

[This message has been edited by fbgdavidson (edited Jan 23, 2004).]
Old Jan 20, 2004, 3:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
What a coincidence. I flew on BA002 on 9/5/02. We must have been crossing each other either in the air or during taxi. IIRC, BA002 was scheduled to depart at 9A. What time did your flight touch down?

I was hoping for Mr. Bannister on my flight, but looks like you managed to snag him away.

That truly was an amazing experience for me as well. I only wish I had more than the few minutes time in the cockpit to really chat with some of the luckiest devils alive.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RChavez:
What a coincidence. I flew on BA002 on 9/5/02. We must have been crossing each other either in the air or during taxi. IIRC, BA002 was scheduled to depart at 9A. What time did your flight touch down?

I was hoping for Mr. Bannister on my flight, but looks like you managed to snag him away.

That truly was an amazing experience for me as well. I only wish I had more than the few minutes time in the cockpit to really chat with some of the luckiest devils alive.
</font>
I think the flight touched down around 9.15am though can't remember off the top of my head. It is written in my book that I got signed.

In another stroke of coincidence, on this board a thread was started about who flew on Concorde when and one of the posters was in the seats in front of me! I can even remember the posters daughter because she looked very familiar and kept looking round at me. The poster even remembered the duty free items that I bought!
Old Jan 20, 2004, 9:55 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
The claims that you can see the curvature of the earth are probably just the windows playing funny tricks as it wasn't clearly visible from 16A.</font>
That is because you weren't sitting in 16D!!! The curvature of the earth is more pronounced at the pole than at the equator, so I'll leave it to prospective pilots to work out which side of the plane they should sit in to get the best view in the northern hemisphere when heading westbound. It is quite a sight -- and one that you will never see in a conventional jet.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

RChavez, found these pictures:

BA002 landing at Heathrow
BA002, 5th September 2002 landing at LHR

Unfortunately I can't find any of BA001 from that day
Old Jan 23, 2004, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

-

[This message has been edited by fbgdavidson (edited Feb 04, 2004).]
Old Feb 4, 2004, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Photos in the process of being reuploaded onto Fotki

Takes ruddy ages though!
Old Feb 13, 2004, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

now complete with food and wine list
Old Feb 19, 2004, 5:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Thanks, fbgdavidson!! This combined with the recent Travel Channel documentary on the final flight has brought a resurgence of emotion about my flight that day.

I had been trying to figure out which bird I flew on, and I guess by those pictures, it was BOAF. I was hoping it might have been BOAD, as she's the one at the Intrepid. But looks like I may have to take a trip to Filton to reminisce.

On a side note, does anyone know where I can get a bottle or two of the 1986 Pol Roger Winston Churchill that was served on my flight?
Old Feb 20, 2004, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RChavez:
I had been trying to figure out which bird I flew on, and I guess by those pictures, it was BOAF. I was hoping it might have been BOAD</font>
BOAD was the BA001 on 5/9/2002 as I was on it
Old Feb 20, 2004, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by number_6:
The curvature of the earth is more pronounced at the pole than at the equator, so I'll leave it to prospective pilots to work out which side of the plane they should sit in to get the best view in the northern hemisphere when heading westbound.</font>
I thought we had all agreed that the earth was an oblate sphereoid, meaning that it is flatter at the poles than at the equator. This is due to the equatorial bulge.

This would make the curvature less pronounced at the poles than at the equator.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 4:00 pm

Great report Fraser. Thanks.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by makin'miles:
Great report Fraser. Thanks.</font>
no probs, glad you liked it

------------------
BA001 London-New York (September 2002) with pictures
Picture Report: New York (September 2002)
Berlin - 30th Aug 03 with pictures
Washington DC & James Madison University (Sept '03) with photos
BA223 (LHR-IAD) in Club World with pictures
Picture Report: Xmas 2003 in Virginia and North Carolina

'There are only two emotions in a plane: boredom and terror'
Orson Welles (1915–1985)
Old Feb 20, 2004, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Nice report Fraser.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.