Old Nov 18, 2003, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum & D2, US SP, SPG Gold
MIA-LAX, United First

14 NOV MIA-LAX
United 289, First, Seat 4B, B757-200
705a Scheduled & Actual
948a Scheduled / 940a Actual

I was really looking forward to experiencing United’s domestic F transcon product after numerous sub-par F experiences on US Airways. I arrived at the airport at 615a and was checked in at the F counters by 620a. I was hoping to relax for a few minutes at the Red Carpet Club, but security at the F concourse took longer than expected. There is no special F or elite level line in concourse F. It is interesting how different/inconsistent the TSA operation can be at different airports (or in the case of MIA between concourses!) Regardless, truly an inefficient operation, which meant I reached the gate with only 2 mins. to spare before boarding began. The gate agent announced special needs boarding, followed by First and Premier members. All 24 seats filled after an amusing game of musical chairs played by a few of my cabin mates.

Pre-departure beverages offered by the Purser consisted of OJ or water. Door was closed a few minutes before scheduled departure and we pushed back on time. Channel 9 was on! … and after a taxi to the north runway, we were on our way.

First on the 757 offers adequate leg room, but the area where the headrest sits is uncomfortable unless you are in reclining position. Carolyn (our purser) quickly distributed the First Class Menu describing our breakfast choices. Choices this morning were:

To Begin

Fresh Bakery Selections

Main Course

Scrambled Eggs with chives in a smoked gouda cream sauce
Sauteed Potatoes with onions, pork sausage, bacon and fresh fruit

Pancakes with a mascarpone cheese and apple filling
Toasted almonds, maple cream and vanilla currant butter, chicken sausage, bacon and fresh fruit.

Fresh seasonal fruit platter.

The purser appeared to take the meal orders by status, and I assume she went to the UA 1k passengers first. As a US Gold Preferred, I was in the “second” group for meal choices and the numerous non-revs had their meal orders taken last.

All-in-all, an excellent experience (due to recently lowered expectations on other carriers) Some nice touches that I have not seen in Domestic F (on other carriers) recently:

Printed Menu
Hot Towel Service
Table cloth on tray table
Additional cloth on food tray
Individually plated entrees
Frequent drink refills
Real glass and ceramic ware.
Coffee service with the f/a bringing the cream and sugar on a silver tray

IFE consisted of Charlie’s Angels / Full Throttle, which did not keep my attention. I dozed off for a bit and about 90 minutes before landing at LAX, the f/a came around with freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, more coffee and milk.

All in all a very good product and kudos to UA for not cutting back on the “nice touches” noted above that differentiate the large network carriers from the LCC’s. The continuation of my trip takes me to the the Bay Area on JetBlue and a return flight from SFO to MIA on the 767-300, I will post the details soon!

Old Nov 18, 2003, 10:56 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

Good report but I miss the 777 on this route.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Miami_Flyer:
There is no special F or elite level line in concourse F.</font>
Back in September, the special line for United was to the left prior to the escalators where they check your boarding pass. It lead to a separate TSA inspection station "under" the big one upstairs. Hopefully it hasn't disappeared.

Enjoyed reading your report!

Old Nov 18, 2003, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Nice report
Hope they would bring back the menu for mid-continental flights too like ORD-LAX,SFO and SEA. Is it the table cloth before they put on the tray all depends in the purser ? Or they had reinstate this practice recently ? Cause I have the flight EWR-ORD at the end of last month, was so surprised the purser put on the table cloth before the tray comes. I haven't gotten this practice for a long long time.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 3:30 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by auh2o:
Good report but I miss the 777 on this route.</font>
Nice report as well. I also miss the 777 on this route. I'm taking the 763 SFO-MIA later today, but it just isn't the same as the 777's to MIA.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 1:50 am

Good Report!

Glad to see that UA's FC service has improved to almost the same level of service that I get on the CO transcons. (Menu's, hot meals, etc.)

I just seem to have the bad luck in having to switch carriers when they improve their service. I experienced UA's "cold meal...chicken sandwich...or cold salad" period.

Then my company switched us to US

I thought UA's FC "cold" meal service was bad, US's planes are not that "sanitary" and the US FC meal service is dismal to say the least.

------------------
SFnFlaGuy
Old Nov 20, 2003, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Domestic F UA tickets do not get you into RCC.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 2:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
I recently flew MIA-SFO in F on the 763 and this is the exact same experience, I was suprised though to see that there appreared to be no non revs in F. There were seats open in C, and Y was very empty. I wish they had the icecream instead of cookies. Other than the seat being slightly better and cabin smaller F is not a great product on this route, although if they brought that 777 back, I could get the sleep I needed on the flight... And they would have a lot more liquor left behind...
Old Nov 22, 2003, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
As this was a 5.5 hour transcon First Class flight, I was curious:

Any breakfast appetizer? (Fruit plate, Danish, etc.)

Any pre-arrival light meal/snack?

Based upon what's been reported, this meal service doesn't look any better than the Business Class meal (which also included a menu) I had two years ago while flying UA on this route.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum & D2, US SP, SPG Gold
No newspapers, no pre-departure snack and no pre-arrival snack. My expectations have been lowered!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.