Old Nov 18, 2003, 10:50 am
Miami_Flyer

Programs: AA Platinum & D2, US SP, SPG Gold
MIA-LAX, United First

14 NOV MIA-LAX
United 289, First, Seat 4B, B757-200
705a Scheduled & Actual
948a Scheduled / 940a Actual

I was really looking forward to experiencing United’s domestic F transcon product after numerous sub-par F experiences on US Airways. I arrived at the airport at 615a and was checked in at the F counters by 620a. I was hoping to relax for a few minutes at the Red Carpet Club, but security at the F concourse took longer than expected. There is no special F or elite level line in concourse F. It is interesting how different/inconsistent the TSA operation can be at different airports (or in the case of MIA between concourses!) Regardless, truly an inefficient operation, which meant I reached the gate with only 2 mins. to spare before boarding began. The gate agent announced special needs boarding, followed by First and Premier members. All 24 seats filled after an amusing game of musical chairs played by a few of my cabin mates.

Pre-departure beverages offered by the Purser consisted of OJ or water. Door was closed a few minutes before scheduled departure and we pushed back on time. Channel 9 was on! … and after a taxi to the north runway, we were on our way.

First on the 757 offers adequate leg room, but the area where the headrest sits is uncomfortable unless you are in reclining position. Carolyn (our purser) quickly distributed the First Class Menu describing our breakfast choices. Choices this morning were:

To Begin

Fresh Bakery Selections

Main Course

Scrambled Eggs with chives in a smoked gouda cream sauce
Sauteed Potatoes with onions, pork sausage, bacon and fresh fruit

Pancakes with a mascarpone cheese and apple filling
Toasted almonds, maple cream and vanilla currant butter, chicken sausage, bacon and fresh fruit.

Fresh seasonal fruit platter.

The purser appeared to take the meal orders by status, and I assume she went to the UA 1k passengers first. As a US Gold Preferred, I was in the “second” group for meal choices and the numerous non-revs had their meal orders taken last.

All-in-all, an excellent experience (due to recently lowered expectations on other carriers) Some nice touches that I have not seen in Domestic F (on other carriers) recently:

Printed Menu
Hot Towel Service
Table cloth on tray table
Additional cloth on food tray
Individually plated entrees
Frequent drink refills
Real glass and ceramic ware.
Coffee service with the f/a bringing the cream and sugar on a silver tray

IFE consisted of Charlie’s Angels / Full Throttle, which did not keep my attention. I dozed off for a bit and about 90 minutes before landing at LAX, the f/a came around with freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, more coffee and milk.

All in all a very good product and kudos to UA for not cutting back on the “nice touches” noted above that differentiate the large network carriers from the LCC’s. The continuation of my trip takes me to the the Bay Area on JetBlue and a return flight from SFO to MIA on the 767-300, I will post the details soon!