Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai 743 in "F" AKL-SYD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2003, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Thai 743 in "F" AKL-SYD

I promised to write this trip summary in my previous TG report and since I am leaving for SFO tomorrow then London, Sweden and the depths of freezing Russia. I better do it now as I'll be away from FT for a good month after today.

TG-992 was scheduled to depart AKL at 2.30pm but since it is almost always late arriving in NZ then I decided to check beforehand. It was late arriving by 20 minutes but departure was on schedule.

As some of you might know there is no motorway all the way from central Auckland to the airport unlike it is in Sydney and since it always seems to me that it takes less time to get from the airport to the city then I was a bit suspicious when I was told that our trip from New Lynn would take at least 40 minutes with 'my driving'. I was like, "Yeah, right! I'll be there in 25" but as it turned out it took me a whole 42 minutes to arrive at my destination. Now, had I stuck to the speedlimits and red lights then it would have taken probably another 10 minutes. I have to concur with comments on QF forum that Kiwis have no idea how to drive on the motorway by driving really slow in the fast lane. Aaarrgghh!!!

Check-in was really smooth with me being the only person at "F" desk. My suitcase weighed 10.5 kg and was sent off on the conveyor belt with a previous Royal Thai First Class sticker attached. When it arrived in SYD then this sticker was gone replaced with a small Royal Orchid Plus Priority tag and an Air New Zealand Heavy Luggage tag attcahed!! Heavy luggage?? 10,5 kgs?? Some Kiwis must have a warped sense of humour!!

Since I was so late then I just rushed to the lounge which was a joint area shared by UA and ANZ. Despite being in F, I was pointed to the left which IMO was business area. It was reasonably large with plenty of drinks and some crackers. Didn't see any real food but then again, I didn't really look for it since boarding was announced just as I entered the lounge. The bathroom was nothing flash and a very far cry from CX Wing/Pier or even QF biz lounge in SYD as far as being clean goes.

Boarding was not very busy and I was on the plane in less than 3 minutes despite the lack of priority/elite boarding. The crew was nothing like on my previous leg. It took them about 30 seconds to work out that I was actually in "F" and I was not greeted by name nor the traditional Thai greeting. My jacket was taken and a strange remark made when I took my passport out of my pocket which I always do.

The cabin looked fresher than on a 744 and seats had good looking dark blue seat covers.

Dom was served while we waited for pushback. Shortly after takeoff, the crew got ready to serve lunch.

Canapes:

Smoked salmon, smoked chicken, cream cheese.

Hors-d' Oeuvre:

Smocked duck, Thai cucumber salad.

Main:

1)Lamb chop Nicoise with rosemary sauce.

2)Stir fried prawns and green beans with chilly. (great stuff!)

Steamed Thai jasmine rice.

Zucchini, buttered carrots, steamed pak choi.

Parisienne potatoes.

Roll, garlic bread, water crackers, butter.

Assorted cheese and dried fruit tray.

Black grapes.

Dessert:

Summer pudding.

Tea, coffee, espresso, cappucino.

The drinks were exactly the same as on my flight from SYD-BKK.

Wine selections:
a) White:

Rully La Bergerie 2000 which is a chardonnay from burgundy.

Domaines SchlumbergerPinot Gris 1998 which is a fruity wine.

b) Red:

Chateau Desmirail Margaux 1999.

Beaune Champs Pimont 1998.

c) Champagne:

Dom Perignon.

Dom Perignon Vintage 1995.

Cuvee Des Roys 1991.

If anyone is interested then here is a shortened menu for SYD-BKK:

Hot Savouries:

Prawn sesame triangle.

Lobster dumpling.

Prawn and ham toast.

Cucumber salad with plum sauce.

Main Course:

Beef curry Mussaman.

Roast duck Chinese style.

Grilled salmon and lobster medallion with red capsicum sauce.

Desserts:

Coconut ice-cream with strawberries and banana in Grand Marnier syrup.

Second serving:

Chicken in coconut milk soup (Thom Kha Kai).

Main:

Stir fried noodles with prawns (Phad Thai).

Chicken leek pie.

Dessert:

Wild mango mousse.

Phew! What a load of typing!

During the meal, movie started. Due to the poor quality of tape I still don't know what its title was but it was about a US marshall protecting a federal judge from some military assassins who were trying to cover up some major fraud. The movie must have been used on 1000 flights before since many parts I never got to see due to poor quality.

Like the menu said, main meal consisted of prawns or lamb. Now, there were 4, YES four, other passengers in "F" cabin. I got 4 medium prawns. Shrimp on CX even in business is a lot larger! They started serving from me and by the time they'd finished I was also done with my seafood. They offered seconds, I accepted... a couple of more prawns? You should have seen the faces these FA's had! They looked like I was after their first newborn! Anyway, I got 3 more prawns and the prawn tray was empty!!! I can swear that at least one person in F had lamb! Was this calculated for 5 pax? What if there were some last minute upgrades?

After the meal all FA's disappeared to the kitchen which on TG Jumbos is on the right side of business class i.e. unlike on BA or CX or QF or AA where galley divides classes. Kitchen is pretty long with microwaves, proper bench and other modern appliances. I know this since I went in search of a beer and found all FA's munching happily over the left-over from the food trays.

The a/c was turned way too low and it was cold. A lady pax went in search of FA's to get a blanket and as a result I was offered the same which was very welcome. There were no amenity kits of any kind. I asked for socks and eventually got them but the looks I got were really shocking.

When Australian Immigration video started then I couldn't stop pinching myself to make sure that I was actually in December 2002 and not a year or two before that in the times when Ansett was live and healthy. The video showed detailed transfer info to Ansett flights and their transfer desks. Are Thais really so backward that they don't know about Ansett's demise? I doubt it but why couldn't they be bothered with updating their info programs?

Overall, I would give 5/10 for this flight since the crew was not on the par with things and entertainment sucked. This flight was a lot worse than my SYD-AKL flight. I am having some serious second thoughts about flying TG again in "F" class. IMO, QF in "J" is a lot better in comparison.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 5:38 pm

BUT the menu looks great!! I really think that the food at least sounds great
Old Jan 12, 2003, 7:54 pm
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
I just sent an email to my PA to book this exact flight in 3 weeks. Now I wonder if I should take the QF or NZ option - any thoughts??
Old Jan 12, 2003, 8:06 pm

Wonderful Trip Report. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for taking the time to write it up for us before you next long trip.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
As newly self annointed President of the "I Love Menu Transcripts" Society, I give this Trip Report an "A"!

As for Thai's lackluster service, well, aside from what looked like a pretty decent menu selection in print at least, it sounded like something to avoid unless the cost made it too good of a deal to pass up.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spider:

They looked like I was after their first newborn! Anyway, I got 3 more prawns and the prawn tray was empty!!! I can swear that at least one person in F had lamb! Was this calculated for 5 pax? What if there were some last minute upgrades?

There were no amenity kits of any kind. I asked for socks and eventually got them but the looks I got were really shocking.

Overall, I would give 5/10 for this flight since the crew was not on the par with things and entertainment sucked. This flight was a lot worse than my SYD-AKL flight. I am having some serious second thoughts about flying TG again in "F" class. </font>
You are one sick puppy Spider.

Anyone with the spare time to write THAT long a report just prior to 30-40 hours of flying needs special help.

Don't you have OTHER things to do??? Pack bags?? Check your upgrades????? See if your passport is still valid?????? Organise the Hotel you will need WHEN you arrive???? Figger out what airline clubs you can access and when and how en-route??? Get to the airport EARLY and avoid being given the WORST seat left on the plane??????

THOSE are more important than a long trip airline report. Get a life man. You even had time to post on this stupid and pointless thread it seems.

Now, the niceties are out of the way, my attorneys will be contacting you re a serious ©Copyright© breach. You plagarised an exact phrase from MY © ® dreadful-experience-almost-trip-report of TG on the same route. © ®

To wit:

"They looked like I was after their first newborn!"

My attorneys Fiddle, Shyster and Swine will be in touch.

Good day to you Sir.

------------------
~ Glen ~

Come and visit the most ** FRIENDLY FORUM ** on FlyerTalk. No flame wars, no personal abuse, no substance abuse. Not much of anything really!

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 01-12-2003).]
Old Jan 13, 2003, 6:15 am
Uli

Old Jan 14, 2003, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input!

B Watson, QF and NZ don't offer first class, so unless you want to go on Lan Chile then TG seems to be the only other option.

originally posted by Ozstamps:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">You are one sick puppy Spider.

Anyone with the spare time to write THAT long a report just prior to 30-40 hours of flying needs special help.</font>
It takes one to know one! Besides, didn't I spend most of the night writing to you?

BTW, UA put me into row 52 since the flight was oversold by 40 and then gave an op.ug. to row 6! From SFO-LHR I was in row 12. I'm writing this from Air Canada lounge at LHR since RCC is pretty bad.I had a cold shower @ RCC along with another disgusting experience.AC lounge is small but good. Anyway, got to catch my next flight which is delayed already by 30 mins.

[This message has been edited by Spider (edited 01-14-2003).]
Old Jan 15, 2003, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You took a cold shower at the RCC?

Geez, you must have had different FA's to the UA Grannies that USUALLY do the over-water runs.

------------------
~ Glen ~

Come and visit the most ** FRIENDLY FORUM ** on FlyerTalk. No flame wars, no personal abuse, no substance abuse. Not much of anything really!

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 01-15-2003).]
Old Apr 29, 2003, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Were amenity kits distributed on this leg, or do they save that for the SYD-BKK leg?
Old Apr 30, 2003, 11:36 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zrs70:
Were amenity kits distributed on this leg, or do they save that for the SYD-BKK leg?</font>
Ummmmm... good point but I really cannot recall 100%. However, I don't think that amenity kits were distributed since I have none in my collection despite keeping all that I have received.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zrs70:

Were amenity kits distributed on this leg, or do they save that for the SYD-BKK leg?[/B]</font>
AMENITY KITS??? On an International flight between Australia and New Zealand? You must be joking with these guys!!

This is part of my experience in January with Thai same route in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/003329.html

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:

Interesting experience flying home yesterday. We were in "Business" Class on Thai Airlines 747/400.

What really surprised was the 1980s era cabin and facilities for both F and J classes in the TG 747.

This shocked us as we are booked to Madrid via Rome and BKK and back in March on TG biz class, and for 30 hours of that each way, I am not looking forward to it. At all.

The First seats looked to have pretty limited recline, and total lack of headrest adjustment, in addition to no personal videos. Any UA Biz seat on the It'l 3 class 777/747 looked far superior. The "Business" class cabin upstairs was a culture shock. There were TWENTY seats up there. Now maybe several dozen trips on United upstairs on 747's have spoiled us, but that is "high density housing" to us.

To put that into perspective, United has THREE rows from the exit row back to the magazine stand/stairs on the A/B side. Thai has FIVE rows. So clearly nearly twice as much space between rows on UA, same plane.

No PTV's upstairs. Only the 1980s pull down movie screen in front of loo showing something dreary. To get to loo for entire trip one needed to literally do a limbo dance underneath it as it was only a couple feet off the floor. Insane. Only VERY limited recline in Biz seats. NO headrest adjustment whatever ...... up, forward or with "wings" at sides. No snake lights. Hopeless footrest not worth calling one to be honest.

Flying over to NZ there were no amenity packs of any kind offered. Did not bother then, as I dislike carrying stuff on holiday. On flight BACK yesterday they gave us both a pair of socks in a plastic bag. (Mid afternoon flight.) I asked could they please find me an amenity pack, as I collect them as souvenirs. Assumed this was a simple request.

First FA I asked said he'd need to ask "the boss" and disappeared for 15 mins. Asked another FA, and got same answer. She too vanished never to be seen again, and that was pretty annoying as it was a most simple request. (Remember they ARE loaded on board ex BKK ... plane flies SYD-BKK same day.)

Ask first guy again 30 mins later when he re-appears. He says can't be done. Ask politely to see Purser. He says 'OK', and nothing happens. Getting pretty peeved by this stage so ask AGAIN to see Purser. Flight Service Director finally arrives in red coat. Says it is impossible. Amenity kits are loaded but are only for "International" flights. Mention that Aust and NZ seemed pretty different countries last time I checked, separated by a large sea.

Asked to see Purser, thinking he still might be able to salvage this Monty Python scene. He arrives, and parrots same deal. They were not going to offer an amenity pack no matter WHAT. Asked by two FA's vanished and did not respond, and he looks perplexed and says: "that is not right - sorry for that". Durrrrhhhhhhhh.

Only a small thing, but one I will remember a lonnnnnng time. And with those dreadful upstairs (and J downstairs) seats, am NOT looking forward to flying 30 hours each way with TG in March.

Have flown TG a LOT to and from and within Asia and Indo-China. Often in coach, where food and service was BETTER than these flights. MASSIVE disappointment. Looking forward to our next 747 and 777 flights in United C, which frankly kills most other product in the air seating wise, but had not realised how DATED some other planes were.

TG did NOT use Star Priority tags on bags out of AKL. Asked why and they said the circular violet TG 'Royal Orchid' ones would do the trick. They did not - and our bags arrived way after most non J/F did. All in all a very disappointing couple of flights on an airline I always liked before. </font>
Old Apr 30, 2003, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Thank you for the report. Regarding the food on TG, I must say I am not too impressed with the transcript here. However, for a Trans-Tasman flight, which I have said before, I doubt they can sustain a real 3 class of service. I am fairly certain NZ flies First between BNE and AKL. I know QF used to fly First between BNE and AKL as well but I don't know if this has stopped or not. Of course, there was UA, eons ago and now, LA 3 times weekly to SYD.

Given a same class of service, I will pick NZ over QF. If possbile, I will choose LA over everyone else.
Old May 1, 2003, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
OZ:

I am assuming that at some point on the AKL-BKK flight there are amenity kits. Question is when they are distributed.

CX, for example, onthe JFK-HKG flights gives them out on the JFK-YVR leg.

My question is not out of line!

Old May 2, 2003, 7:42 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guava:
If possbile, I will choose LA over everyone else.</font>
Why? What is so special about LA? Do you think that LA is better than anyone else in all classes of service or just one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.