Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Menu at the SAA First Class lounge JNB

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2003, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Menu at the SAA First Class lounge JNB

The pre-flight dinner menu at the First Class/ Cycad lounge of South African at Johannesburg airport...

-Tasty Tramezzini
with a choice of fillings:
Cheddar cheese and hickory ham
Cheddar cheese, ham, tomato
Roast beef
Chicken mayonaise
Tuna mayonnaise
Roasted Mediterranean vegetables with mozarella cheese

- Always a win-Classic Club Sandwiches
Crispy bacon and succulenz sloced chicken breast
layered with tomatoes, lettuce, cheese and mayonnaise

-Traditionally South African
Beef biltong,dry wors and a selection of salted,mixed nuts

Something Sweet:

-Summer Explosion
Fresh Papaya served with a ginger scented creme anglaise and a fresh mint coulis

Something Vegetarian:

-Pasta Rustica:
Potato gnocchi served with slow ovebn roasted tomatoes and a chiffonde of fresh basil

-The Italian job
Anti-pasi: An assortment of freshly grilled vegetables, each in its own marinade with olives and feta cheese

Something hot:

-South African Delight
Sliced ostrich filet served with creamy milie pap triangles, prepared with a hint of parmesan and toated until golden. Tangy, mild tomatoe and onion reliesh

-Tunisian Magic
Tender chicken breast stuffed with minted cous cous, served with auberge caviar, zucchini ribons and a red pepper coulis

-Pub Grub goes Gentlemans club
Shepherps pie like you have never had it before: Crisp potato skins filled with choice ground lamb topped with grantinated mashed potatoes

Something cold:
-Crown salad
Fit for a king: cucumber wreath filled with mixed greens,ripe cherry tomatoes,carrot shavings and a choice of creamy basil or a basalmic vinaigrette

Piscatorial Pleasure:
-Wood smoked salmon fillet, filled with smooth creamed cheese, capers and fresh dill.
Enjoy aon slices of lightly toasted ciabatta, with a garden salad
Old Mar 26, 2003, 8:55 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
My mouth is watering already...

Thanks for the detailed menu items...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, CMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Mar 26, 2003, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had the Club Sandwich, and thought that it was quite good. Also there are a couple of internet PCs in this lounge, just off to the right as you enter the lounge.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 10:05 am

Programs: AA-PLT, UA-Prem, BA-Silver, SPG-PLT, Hyatt-PLT, Hilton-GLD
mmmmmmmmm....mielie pap. Now that's something I haven't heard since my last trip to S. Africa!

[This message has been edited by FlyLots (edited 03-28-2003).]
Old Mar 26, 2003, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL PM MM
Please tell me what milie pap is. I am going to So. Africa in June, and would love to know.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 7:01 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Quite a good choice. Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2003, 10:47 am

Programs: AA-PLT, UA-Prem, BA-Silver, SPG-PLT, Hyatt-PLT, Hilton-GLD
Mielie Pap is a native staple. It's basically corn meal porridge. Can be served sweet or savory. Sweet in the morning with sugar and cream or savory as a side dish, usually topped with tamatiesous (a spicy/chunky tomato sauce). Depending on the use and the cook I have seen just about every consistancy from souplike to little cakes. Usually served at a consistancy somewhere between porridge and crumbly. Very tasty and very South African. Akin to polenta.

Lekker!

Old Mar 29, 2003, 5:02 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I spent almost 2 hours in this lounge 2 days ago. I must say that while the menu sounds tempting, I thought the food was pathetic. Maybe they had a bad day with the catering, but the food was really really bad.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 9:30 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaucho100K:
I spent almost 2 hours in this lounge 2 days ago. I must say that while the menu sounds tempting, I thought the food was pathetic. Maybe they had a bad day with the catering, but the food was really really bad. </font>

What did you choose? I had the African delight and it was really good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.