Search

CO--SEA-EWR-FLL F-class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2003, 11:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

CO--SEA-EWR-FLL F-class

Continental 1880, SEA-EWR 2A, 2B 757, MEAL: lunch

We arrived at the Continental ticket counter at 8:35 a.m. for our 9:25 a.m. departure to Newark. The flight was suppose to be an internationally configured 757 but that was changed a day before the flight so we were stuck with a domestic configured 757. We had already upgraded with mileage and were pre-assigned to seat, 2A, 2B, and 2E, 2F on the connection.

When we arrived at the ticket counter, there was a massive line for the kiosks. We took one look at the line and went to the first-class check-in. No one was in-line and we were helped without a wait. The agent who checked us in was a little stiff but was still nice. Within 5 minutes we were checked-in and handed our boarding cards. Our departure gate was B09.

After a quick stop at the gift shop, we headed for the gate. Security was easy, and was another 5 minutes. Gate B09 was very crowded, but we were expecting a full flight since it was a day before christmas eve. Boarding began a little late at 8:57, it was suppose to be 8:45. We boarded and found our seats. I was really disappointed at Continental for changing the flight to domestic configuration 1 day before departure. I had really been looking forward to the international configuration on this flight for 2 months. Upon boarding, I found that the 757 seat was an old first class seat without an adjustable headrest. I would have to manage. Their were 6 rows of first class with a 2x2 configuration. First class was very empty, about half full. A pre-take-off drink was offered and coats were hung. The flight attendant was a little robotic and a little cold. Departure was then delayed because of de-iceing that had to be preformed. But like i always say, safety first. We pulled away from the gate at 9:17 a.m. and took off. On take-off, the cockpit door flew open. So much for security. The door was open for about 30 seconds and the flight attendants couldnt get up because we had just taken off. When they did get up, it took a while for them to close it because it wouldnt latch. Menu's were then handed out.

THE MENU:

TO BEGIN
Warm roasted nuts
served with your preferred cocktail or beverage

APPETIZER
Lobster claws accompanied by Du Barry sauce

SALAD
Red oakleaf and romaine lettuce with fresh asparagus,
Roma tomato, Kalamata olives and feta cheese

Offered with your choice of La Flora italian herb vinaigrette
or creamy thousand island dressings.

Freshly baked bread and assorted rolls with butter will be offered.

ENTREES

Grilled Steak
Sterling Silver steak tenderloin complemented by peppercorn sauce
and maitre d'hotel butter, white cheddar cheese mashed potatoes with chives. Fine green beans, carrots.

Herbed Chicken
Breast of chicken presented on a bed of herbed couscous, accented by red wine sauce with mushroomsm, buttered baby carrots baby peas with chanterelle mushrooms and salsify

Grilled Shrimp
Grilled, Marinated shrimp enhanced by a shellfish sauce accompanied by a grilled artichoke base filled with creamed spinach Tomato and basil relish Fiesta rice.

Pasta Bowl
Cannelloni pasta filled with ricotta cheese and wild mushrooms, topped with Salute sauce and oven roasted yellow tomatoes

Freshly grated cheese will be offered with your pasta.

DESSERT
Vanilla ice cream
offered with your choice of toppings

The Menu looked very appetizing. I was debating if i should choose the shrimp or steak. Hot towels were handed out, followed by lunch orders. I decided to go for the steak. My dad chose the shrimp. I also chose the vinaigrette dressing with my salad. Linens were handed out. The nuts were cashews and were not warm but still good. The lobster was delicious but i didnt like the sauce that much. I chose a sourdough roll which was delightful. The salad was perfect. It was very delicious. When my main course arrived it looked very appetizing. I chose another sourdough roll to go with it. I started with the carrots which were steamed. They were good. The mashed potatoes were also delicious. Finally, the steak was outstanding. I asked my dad if he liked his shrimp and he agreed with me that the meal was one of the best we have ever had in first class. The meal was perfect so far. After i was finished, my steak plate was cleared away. Soon after the dessert cart was wheeled around. I chose chocolate fudge with walnuts for my sundae with a cup of tea with milk and sugar. The ice cream was a little to frozen but i managed. My dad on the other hand accidently broke his glass by trying to cut the ice-cream with his spoon. The flight attendant was very kind and cleared the glass away and offered him another sundae.

During the meal, Mr. Deeds was playing. After the meal, they showed Serving Sara. I was surprised that they had showed 2 movies because i can not recall once on this route when they showed 2 movies. The flight was very turbulent. The captain kept coming on and apologizing. The flight attendants were nice and i didnt even need to ask for a re-fill on my coke. After watching the movie, and reading my book, we had begun our descent into Newark. No cookies were offered before arrival, which was unusual. We touched down at about 5:20 p.m. and taxied to gate C75.

Our connection wasn't until 7:55 p.m. so we had a long wait. After looking at some shops we went to our gate, C95.

[b]Continental 1701, EWR-FLL, 2E, 2F, 757, MEAL: none

Boarding began and we found our seats. This 757 WAS equipped with the international configuration so i was looking forward to some nice sleep. A pre-take off drink was offered to us. This 757 had 4 rows of first class with a 2x2 configuration. First class was full. I started to play with the sleeper seat and it turned out my footrest was broken. It would go out, but had trouble retracting. The flight attendant had to come over to close it upon take-off and arrival. The flight attendant on this flight seemed a little more welcoming the the last. Afer take-off, there was heavy turbulence. That lasted about 15 minutes. The flight attendants came around to take our drink orders. This was another last minute change that continental had made. They had changed our meal from a snack to nothing. This made me a little disappointed as well. Drinks were handed out with a bag of pretzels. The seat was really a great part of the flight. I slept for the whole flight because of the comfy seat. It has great legroom and is electronic. They also were showing continental visions but i was to tired to watch. When i awoke we had begun our descent into Ft. Lauderdale. We landed and taxied to gate C7. A good flight but Continental made to many changes.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 11:07 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
This too was great late night reading for me, many thanks to you...

I use to fly CO when the served SFO-HNL, however that ended all to soon for me. BusinessFirst is a great product.

:-)

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, CMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Feb 4, 2003, 12:33 am

Forgive me NW GOLDELITE,
I am curious as to how a 13 yr old boy has to travel so much? So much so he has goldelite status. By the way I have enjoyed your posts anyway. You seem very mature for your age. That agent in FLL needs to find a new career. If you have the credentials to fly first he has no reason to give you a hard time. My guess is he hasn't seen many GoldElite members who are minors. Anyway happy travels to you. I am impressed with your knowledge..
Old Feb 4, 2003, 9:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Flatbroke-
Thank you very much for the compliments. The reason I travel so much is quite simple. My parents are divorced, one lives in Seattle, WA and the other in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I travel between them about once a month. And yes, I do miss some school.
Old Feb 6, 2003, 1:07 am

Thanks Gold,
You remind me of myself when I was young. However, I was not as fortunate as you are in my travels. But I knew my airplanes even as a young lad. Sadly I do not hold the same enthusiasm for aviation as I once did. Good luck to you and happy flying.
Old Feb 11, 2003, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
Great Trip report! The food servings in CO BF sound quite sumptuous. It really makes me think that CO has the best business class product in the domestic market right now, especially to HNL from HOU and EWR. I'm glad they're not cutting back like AA.
Old Feb 11, 2003, 5:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Actually, the flight I was on wasn't marketed as a BusinessFirst flight. Continental does not market any of their domestic flights as BusinessFirst. Except for flights to HNL. The flight I was on was marketed as First class, which makes you think how much better BusinessFirst really is.

Flights to/from HOU-EWR are also marketed as First. So you get the nice seat, but you get a domestic first meal. By way, Continental does permit elite upgrades on domestic flights operated by an internationally configured plane.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 6:15 pm

Programs: CO Plat, AA Gold, UA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Loews Gold, Marriott Gold, etc. etc. etc
The transcon meal service is very similar to what one would receive on an EWR/IAH-HNL flight. IMO, transcons should be marketed as BF, but I believe the reason is that they cannot offer the same seat or level of service on these flights as they can on widebody and 757 international flights. Even without HoKeY, mileage upgrades are just as elusive, and the best bet is to wait for EUA's, which for me are generally pretty good. However, if I can get on a 757 BF-seat flight, and I see upgrade availability on the ITN, I usually just blow the miles on the trip to guarantee I get the big seat instead of playing the EUA waiting game.

But back to the topic, linens, glassware, silverware, plates, and bowls are all the same that you would find in BF, not the light blue and white stuff we get in domestic F. The only difference from Europe flights are the absence of an appetizer/dessert cart and Executive Meal Option, everything else is pretty consistent. The only better transcon first class products are the AA/UA 767-200 Premium Transcons, and only in true First Class. The BF seat is much better, but I prefer the slightly more elaborate meal service that AA and UA deliver, and only on certain routes.

Simply put, CO is your best bet for top-quality transcon F service outside of AA and UA Premium 3-class 762 flights.

------------------
Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.