Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-LHR on BA with photos

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2003, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

LAX-LHR on BA with photos

I just completed a most pleasand trip on BA and here is the report.

Jan 29, 2003 BA 282 LAX-LHR
This segment was one of my 3 OWE tickets that I have for this year. I arrvied at LAX about 2 hours before flight time. The Tom Braddley terminal was quite empty. I walked up to the BA counter where there was one other person waiting in the first class line. As I approached the first class counter I was told that I would not earn any miles on AA for this. I told the agent that I would using my QF account for this flight and she was amazed that I was Emerald on both AA and QF. She was poilte and gave me a pass to the BA first class lounge.
Now as many of you know, the lounge is located on the fifth floor of the terminal past security. It is a shared lounge with Qantas. As I arrived in the lounge, my boarding pass was collected and I was shown to the lounge. The lounge was small but the food was quite good. There were pinwheels with salmon, Open faced roast beef sandwiches, ciabatta bread with vegetables, as well as a great feta cheese salad. Of course the normal bar set up was there as well. What really stood out was how many people were talking on their cellular phones, quite loudly. Also, I know that the booze is complimentary, but I have never seen so much wine being consumed at one time. Just my observations. But everyone seemed to be in a great mood for the flight.
We were called to gate 120 and were led to the gate by the lounge person who literally walked all of the first class people on the plane. The entire first class section of the 747 was filled on this flight. The FA told me that usually the early LHR flight was full in first class and the second evening flight almost never full.
Upon sitting down in seat 2A, I felt like I was in a very comfortable living room. Socks, tolitery kit, duvet, menus, sleeping suit, and video program all layed out for me. There was empower on this flight. In fact the empower was terrific because I was able to use my Sony Picturebook wiht myy external DVD to my hearts desire. A little note here..... If any of you FT go to TOKYO and are interested in new type electronics, I by my computers in the AKHIABARA section and have a number of contacts who can help you obtain the latest and greatest in electronics.
Please refer to the photo section of this report at http://photos.yahoo.com/prostatehealth123 and just look under the BA282 flight number. The first two photos are of the bliss one experiences sittting in the first class pods and wazing out ot the window. Quite a great feeling.

Orders were taken for our dinner immediately after our takeoff drinks were ordered. Were were served mixed nuts. AND YES...Krug was the champagne served on this flight. This aircraft had the new IFE already inserted. Screens are large and the number of video selection is increased to 18 not including the 30 or so peronsal video selections that are available to thhe first class section. Menus were immediately handed out after takeoff. Here is a transcript.....

Incidentally the first photo in my album was a picture of the "savourt" that was offered after take off ...including p[ate, steak and salmon...

FIRST COURSES
Maine lobster and papya salad with raspberry vinaigrette
Tomato tarte tartin with goat cheese and rocket cream
Cream of vegetable soup
Mixed seaosonal salad served with balsamic olive oil, blue cheese dressing or extra virgin olive oil

I had the lobster and the tomato tarte. Both were excellent, but KUDOS for the tarte. It was sun dried tomatoes with roasted onions on a puff pastry with great goat cheese and a vegetable sauce. Absolutely sensational.

MAIN COURSES
Fillet of beef, morel mushroom sauce, potatoes dauphinoise, and green beans in pancetta
Grilled salmon, lemon tarragon, caper sauce and wild rice
Lemon and herb chicken Caesar salad
Freshly cooked pasta with your choice of sun dried tomato pesto or Gorgonzola and bacon sauce served with freshly grated Grana Padano cheese

I had the salmon which was great. Picture is included.

ALWAYS_ AVAILABLE
The great all-day English breakfast
Continental breakfast featuring pastires, yoghurt, cereals, and fresh fruit
A prime beef hamburger with your choice of garnish
Hot bacon roll
Shepherd's pie

CHEESE, DESSERT and FRUIT
A selection from our cheeseboard
Lime merinque tart
Hot cholcolate fondant with earl Grey creme anglaise
Selection fo fresh fruit

I had the lime meringue tart a picture of which I have included.

WINE LIST
Krug champagne, Grande cuvee
Domane Wachau riesling Smaragd Terrrassen, 2001
Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Chenevottes, 1999, Joseph Drouhin
Geyser Peak russion river valley Chardonnay, 2000
Chateau Desmirail, 1996, Grand cru Classe Margaux
Buehler Napa Valley Zinfindel, 1998
Cuvaison Carneros Pinot Noir, 2000

DESSERT WINES
Chateau Filhot, 1997, Grand Cru Classe Sauternes

PORT
Warre's 1986Reserve Tawny Port

The dinner service was very slow and beautifully served. Very leisurely. Food was so much better than AA that I CANNOT IMAGINE ANYONE PAYING FOR AA TRANSATLANTIC anymore. I have flown many transatlantic segments with AA, but the service on AA had decreased so dramatically that I have decided never to take AA again. I rather collect QF miles transatlantically. I have to make this editorial comment because as of this flight I can now see just how much BA towers over AA on LHR flights. I hope that AA people are reading this board. Their product is just no comparison for BA . It is not just the food. Its the service and entertainment. It s the sleeper suits and the atitude of the FA. I am quite impressed but the fact the BA FA really like their job. Quite a difference from the INdifference of the AA FA. For instance, when I wanted some camomille tea, I not only received my own pot, ( picture shown), but the pot ws refilled during the rest of the flight, even as I was sleeping.
All 12 of us in the first class compartment fell asleep and magically about 90 minute outside of LHR, we all seemed to awake to the fresh smell of coffee, and breakfast was upon us. It was at that time that the captain announced that there was a snow storm headed for LHR, the first in many years. Those of us who had connections, could expect and I quote..."some nasty delays" I will report next on my delay at LHR and my flight on CX from LHR-HKG. Until then......
Old Feb 2, 2003, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks for your report, RTW4. As always, a thorough and detailed effort, especially where the meal service - my favorite part - is concerned.

What a difference a year makes with regard to BA's First Class menu variety, however. While the menu for your flight looked pretty nice, it definitely offered less options than last year's menu that I enjoyed on my LAX-LHR flight, taken February 5th. For comparison purposes, here is a link to the report that will show the menus from LAX-LHR and LHR-SIN-MEL.

http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/002544.html

I agree with your comments on AA's International First. The only people it will impress are first timers traveling on awards or upgrades. Sad commentary for an airline with such a great and storied past.

Finally, I'd love to check out those pictures you've taken sometime. I was able to access your site, but the response when I clicked on any of the four flight options was The page cannot be displayed

Have a great time in London! I'll look forward to your LHR-HKG report.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 10:35 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Yes - I'd too love to see those pictures. Went to Yahoo & was unable to open any of the folders. :-(

I'll try again tomorrow though.

RTW4, thank you for the trip report that I could access...:-)

Blessings all around,

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, CMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Feb 2, 2003, 10:48 pm

Yes, I too would like to see your pics, however the link at yahoo is not working.

All the best,
Old Feb 2, 2003, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, FB Gold
I have also had trouble accessing your photos. The main page seems to load fine, but the folders for your reviews do not. Great review!

lopez151
Old Feb 3, 2003, 3:41 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Wonderful pictures & detailled report . Your pictures made me hungry now.
Old Feb 3, 2003, 11:21 am

Great Report,

no problems accessing the pics here.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 1:55 pm

Going to have to disagree with you Seat2A. It is not just the firsttimers on awards or upgrades who are impressed with AA's FC service. There are other reasons for liking it and even for those of us who have sampled other carriers FC product it continues to have its virtues.

Unlike you, however, I'll admit that the meal is not the favorite part of the trip for me. This has less to do with the fact that I am not a gourmand, and more to do with the fact that most, if not all, FC airline food does not even come close to the quality of food one can get at a moderately-priced restaurant on the westside of LA. Having come to that conclusion, I just don't expect much from airline food. If I did, like you, I would at least give AA credit for trying to keep their food offerings simple. Where BA and the others go really wrong some times is when they fail at pulling off a very complex dish with inflight ovens and FA staff. Then, what might have started out to be something really good turns out to be like most British food on the ground overcooked (downright mushy) and bland.

As for the tea, RTW4 is correct to observe that the BA FA's are very good at refilling the pot with water. It is curous, however, that RTW4 had nothing to say about the British pastries offered with the tea. Could it be that they were, as they often have been for me, degoutante?

On the subect of disgusting things, I was surprised that RTW4 did not mention the appalling condition of the seats in BA First. He must have been traveling on a newer plane. In general, the seats are starting to show their age and so are all the interior furnishings. More often than not, the middle cushion of the seat pops out when the seat is deployed to the fully-flat position. It is also about time that BA replaced the tweed carpet. It is so deeply soiled. It almost looks like it was originally a brown/blue.

These are the the kinds of things I pay attention to. That is why I have been moderately impressed so far with the new AA Flagship Suite. Given its construction, I don't think its middle cushion will be popping out anytime soon. Moreover, the design of the Flagship Suite has solved one of the biggest problems I have with BA's First Suite, the sense that I am going to hit my head on the wingback-type cocoon everytime I turn toward the aisle. I would be turning to the aisle, of course, to hold a conversation with a traveling companion, not something done easily in the BA seat if one person is sitting at a window and the other person on the aisle. The swivel feature on AA's seat, however, more than solved that problem.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> Originally posted by Seat 2A:
Thanks for your report, RTW4. As always, a thorough and detailed effort, especially where the meal service - my favorite part - is concerned.

What a difference a year makes with regard to BA's First Class menu variety, however. While the menu for your flight looked pretty nice, it definitely offered less options than last year's menu that I enjoyed on my LAX-LHR flight, taken February 5th. For comparison purposes, here is a link to the report that will show the menus from LAX-LHR and LHR-SIN-MEL.

http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/002544.html

I agree with your comments on AA's International First. The only people it will impress are first timers traveling on awards or upgrades. Sad commentary for an airline with such a great and storied past.

Finally, I'd love to check out those pictures you've taken sometime. I was able to access your site, but the response when I clicked on any of the four flight options was The page cannot be displayed

Have a great time in London! I'll look forward to your LHR-HKG report.
</font>
Old Feb 4, 2003, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

I must say that the seats on the BA flight WERE in excellent shape. The opint I need to stress again and again is that the AA FA really do not seem to care much about passenger service. That is my biggest beef.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Scion:
Going to have to disagree with you Seat2A. It is not just the first timers on awards or upgrades who are impressed with AA's FC service. There are other reasons for liking it and even for those of us who have sampled other carriers FC product it continues to have its virtues.

Unlike you, however, I'll admit that the meal is not the favorite part of the trip for me. This has less to do with the fact that I am not a gourmand, and more to do with the fact that most, if not all, FC airline food does not even come close to the quality of food one can get at a moderately-priced restaurant on the westside of LA. Having come to that conclusion, I just don't expect much from airline food. If I did, like you, I would at least give AA credit for trying to keep their food offerings simple. Where BA and the others go really wrong some times is when they fail at pulling off a very complex dish with inflight ovens and FA staff. Then, what might have started out to be something really good turns out to be like most British food on the ground overcooked (downright mushy) and bland.</font>
Scion, you make some excellent observations. And, upon reflection, I would agree that my comment that the only people American's International First Class service will impress are first timers traveling on awards or upgrades is unfairly broad. However, I think it would be very fair to say that AA's First Class is inferior to BAs for reasons beyond mere catering.

True, enhanced catering is my favorite part of the First Class experience, but is it the most important in my choosing to fly First? No. Ultimately, I place greater emphasis on the extra space and comfort, not to mention the peace and quiet relative to J and Y classes. I could care less about the IFEs and AVOD, etc. All I want on a long international flight is a nice meal, a comfy seat, a quiet and relaxed cabin environment and a good sleep.

From the many trip reports I've read here over the past couple of years, it would seem that most people who've experienced both AA and BA's suites have given the nod to AA for the superior product. I've only had a brief post flight tour of the Flagship Suite but I quite liked the layout and comfort of the chair. I was particularly impressed with the swivel feature. So yes, that's a big point for AA.

However, now that so many of the world's leading airlines offer comparably comfortable "suite" seating to their First Class clientele, what is there to really distinguish one airline's product from the next?

Service - on the ground and in the air.

In the interests of brevity, let me focus just on the meals.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Fly Boy:
Even with the fully-flat beds, First needs to provide further value-added service and ammenities to diferentiate itself from a top-tier Business Class. Catering is a crucial part of this and should be of the highest possible standard.

It is absolutely possible to serve meals of restaurant quality in the air, but it takes commitment on the part of the airline, and a desire to preserve the integrity of the quality of their First Class product.</font>
You state that "most, if not all, FC airline food does not even come close to the quality of food one can get at a moderately-priced restaurant on the westside of LA." While your opinion is shared by many, in reading through so many Trip Reports I come across many posters comparing their International First Class fare quite favorably with top tier earth based restaurants. Are these people wrong or just unduly impressed?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RTW4:
The dinner service was very slow and beautifully served. Very leisurely. Food was so much better than AA</font>
A common theme I see against AA and other US carriers in this regard is F/As who don't appreciate the concept of presenting a meal as opposed to just providing it. Truth be known, one of the finest flight attendants I have ever been fortunate to have been served by was an AA employee in trans-con First. And I'm sure there are many others like her but a far too sizeable percentage working aboard US airlines suffer from poor training, instincts and/or work ethic.

Should the airlines just admit defeat, acknowledge that "most, if not all, FC airline food does not even come close to the quality of food one can get at a moderately-priced restaurant.", drop those fancy dishes and offer simple fare? In International First Class? Should they stick to salads, poached fish, even the ever popular hamburger and give up on sauces, fancy desserts, etc?

Consider the following:

You've paid out $15,000.00 (vs, $400.00 for Y) for a full fare LHR-LAX r/t or you've cashed in 120,000 hard earned miles for an award ticket in First Class. You're facing a 10-11 hour flight in each direction. Would you rather be served from this menu:

DINNER

Appetisers

Warm Gruyere cheese and tomato souffle with basil oil
Roast breast of quail with chanterelle mushroom salad

Soup
Shellfish bisque soup

Salad
Mixed seasonal salad with balsamic vinaigrette, Caesar dressing or extra virgin olive oil

MAIN COURSES

Pepper Crusted Fillet of Beef

Served with Worcestershire au jus and caramelized shallots or crisp seasonal salad leaves

Tiger Prawns
Presented with Singapore noodles and fried chicken

Corn-fed Chicken in Vegetable Broth
Accompanied by crisp pancetta bacon

Vegetable Tajin
Offered with couscous and preserved lemon

LIGHTER OPTIONS

Freshly Cooked Pasta

Presented with your choice of tomato basil or creamy mushroom sauce.
Served with freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Artichoke and Pepper Pizza

Cheeseboard Selection
Somerset Camembert, Capricorn Goat, Yarg, Hereford Red and Cashel Blue Cheese

Dessert
Apple Brulee
Traditional warm bread and butter pudding with custard

Selection of fresh fruit
Chocolates

Or would you rather have some simpler fare? And just what might simpler fare be? And, who's to say that the same flight kitchen that can't produce "restaurant quality" food with the elaborate items will do any better with the simpler fare? I mean, eggs are pretty darned simple and I've had some disastrous egg dishes served aloft. Pasta dishes would also seem pretty simple but I've had some crunchy pasta in my time as well.

So much of the argument for the airlines providing simpler fare in First Class is predicated upon the fact that most of the more elaborate dishes don't work. I disagree, but then, that's a matter of opinion and my own tastes. True, some dishes have come out quite poorly, but many of them work out quite well, IMO.

Proper training and dedication to presentation on the part of the FAs is a crucial component to a successful inflight First Class meal. And, as RTW4 has stated, many of AA's (and I think US carriers in general) FAs who work the First Class cabin do a substandard job in this regard.

I look forward to the meal on International First Class in particular because it's such a pleasant distraction on what is generally a very long flight. I am quite aware that I'm not in a fine restaurant and accordingly don't expect the airline kitchens to meet those standards. Given the limitations they have to deal with, I think many of them do an excellent job, occasionally meeting and even exceeding those aforementioned standards, especially in International First Class.

Right now, some carriers are at least trying to offer food commensurate with the high dollar/mileage amount charged. This includes setting high standards for their personnel that are allowed to work the F cabin. If we say we don't want or need Int'l. First Class meals in their present style (as opposed to simpler fare) and the airlines reduce or take it away, we won't be getting it back later. Nor will the fare go down as a result. As it is, I can create my own meal from the above menu - as simple or as elaborate as I wish. I can also pass on it all and simply sleep and work. Either way, I don't want to give up that choice in the name of "simplicity".

If AA, UA and others aren't willing or able to keep up with the standards set by BA, CX, SQ, EK et al, I say follow Continental's lead and focus on a quality Business Class.

Again, my thanks go out to RTW4 for this report as well as my apologies if in anyway this lengthy response has detracted from the focus of your report in any way. I agree totally with your comments re. AA vs. BA service, but I will refrain from further comment on the topic.

More so than any other duo I can think of, RTW4 and tfung have provided us with some wonderfully exotic First Class itineraries, complete with menu transcripts and photos. The sheer volume and excitement of the response to their (and many others) photographs, which are primarily of the meal service, says much about the importance of inflight catering in the minds of FlyerTalkers.

If airline food were all sub-restaurant quality, why would so many people be so fascinated by it?

[This message has been edited by Seat 2A (edited 02-05-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.