FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LAX-LHR on BA with photos
View Single Post
Old Feb 2, 2003, 5:36 pm
RTW4

LAX-LHR on BA with photos

I just completed a most pleasand trip on BA and here is the report.

Jan 29, 2003 BA 282 LAX-LHR
This segment was one of my 3 OWE tickets that I have for this year. I arrvied at LAX about 2 hours before flight time. The Tom Braddley terminal was quite empty. I walked up to the BA counter where there was one other person waiting in the first class line. As I approached the first class counter I was told that I would not earn any miles on AA for this. I told the agent that I would using my QF account for this flight and she was amazed that I was Emerald on both AA and QF. She was poilte and gave me a pass to the BA first class lounge.
Now as many of you know, the lounge is located on the fifth floor of the terminal past security. It is a shared lounge with Qantas. As I arrived in the lounge, my boarding pass was collected and I was shown to the lounge. The lounge was small but the food was quite good. There were pinwheels with salmon, Open faced roast beef sandwiches, ciabatta bread with vegetables, as well as a great feta cheese salad. Of course the normal bar set up was there as well. What really stood out was how many people were talking on their cellular phones, quite loudly. Also, I know that the booze is complimentary, but I have never seen so much wine being consumed at one time. Just my observations. But everyone seemed to be in a great mood for the flight.
We were called to gate 120 and were led to the gate by the lounge person who literally walked all of the first class people on the plane. The entire first class section of the 747 was filled on this flight. The FA told me that usually the early LHR flight was full in first class and the second evening flight almost never full.
Upon sitting down in seat 2A, I felt like I was in a very comfortable living room. Socks, tolitery kit, duvet, menus, sleeping suit, and video program all layed out for me. There was empower on this flight. In fact the empower was terrific because I was able to use my Sony Picturebook wiht myy external DVD to my hearts desire. A little note here..... If any of you FT go to TOKYO and are interested in new type electronics, I by my computers in the AKHIABARA section and have a number of contacts who can help you obtain the latest and greatest in electronics.
Please refer to the photo section of this report at http://photos.yahoo.com/prostatehealth123 and just look under the BA282 flight number. The first two photos are of the bliss one experiences sittting in the first class pods and wazing out ot the window. Quite a great feeling.

Orders were taken for our dinner immediately after our takeoff drinks were ordered. Were were served mixed nuts. AND YES...Krug was the champagne served on this flight. This aircraft had the new IFE already inserted. Screens are large and the number of video selection is increased to 18 not including the 30 or so peronsal video selections that are available to thhe first class section. Menus were immediately handed out after takeoff. Here is a transcript.....

Incidentally the first photo in my album was a picture of the "savourt" that was offered after take off ...including p[ate, steak and salmon...

FIRST COURSES
Maine lobster and papya salad with raspberry vinaigrette
Tomato tarte tartin with goat cheese and rocket cream
Cream of vegetable soup
Mixed seaosonal salad served with balsamic olive oil, blue cheese dressing or extra virgin olive oil

I had the lobster and the tomato tarte. Both were excellent, but KUDOS for the tarte. It was sun dried tomatoes with roasted onions on a puff pastry with great goat cheese and a vegetable sauce. Absolutely sensational.

MAIN COURSES
Fillet of beef, morel mushroom sauce, potatoes dauphinoise, and green beans in pancetta
Grilled salmon, lemon tarragon, caper sauce and wild rice
Lemon and herb chicken Caesar salad
Freshly cooked pasta with your choice of sun dried tomato pesto or Gorgonzola and bacon sauce served with freshly grated Grana Padano cheese

I had the salmon which was great. Picture is included.

ALWAYS_ AVAILABLE
The great all-day English breakfast
Continental breakfast featuring pastires, yoghurt, cereals, and fresh fruit
A prime beef hamburger with your choice of garnish
Hot bacon roll
Shepherd's pie

CHEESE, DESSERT and FRUIT
A selection from our cheeseboard
Lime merinque tart
Hot cholcolate fondant with earl Grey creme anglaise
Selection fo fresh fruit

I had the lime meringue tart a picture of which I have included.

WINE LIST
Krug champagne, Grande cuvee
Domane Wachau riesling Smaragd Terrrassen, 2001
Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Chenevottes, 1999, Joseph Drouhin
Geyser Peak russion river valley Chardonnay, 2000
Chateau Desmirail, 1996, Grand cru Classe Margaux
Buehler Napa Valley Zinfindel, 1998
Cuvaison Carneros Pinot Noir, 2000

DESSERT WINES
Chateau Filhot, 1997, Grand Cru Classe Sauternes

PORT
Warre's 1986Reserve Tawny Port

The dinner service was very slow and beautifully served. Very leisurely. Food was so much better than AA that I CANNOT IMAGINE ANYONE PAYING FOR AA TRANSATLANTIC anymore. I have flown many transatlantic segments with AA, but the service on AA had decreased so dramatically that I have decided never to take AA again. I rather collect QF miles transatlantically. I have to make this editorial comment because as of this flight I can now see just how much BA towers over AA on LHR flights. I hope that AA people are reading this board. Their product is just no comparison for BA . It is not just the food. Its the service and entertainment. It s the sleeper suits and the atitude of the FA. I am quite impressed but the fact the BA FA really like their job. Quite a difference from the INdifference of the AA FA. For instance, when I wanted some camomille tea, I not only received my own pot, ( picture shown), but the pot ws refilled during the rest of the flight, even as I was sleeping.
All 12 of us in the first class compartment fell asleep and magically about 90 minute outside of LHR, we all seemed to awake to the fresh smell of coffee, and breakfast was upon us. It was at that time that the captain announced that there was a snow storm headed for LHR, the first in many years. Those of us who had connections, could expect and I quote..."some nasty delays" I will report next on my delay at LHR and my flight on CX from LHR-HKG. Until then......