Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DFW to Ireland - 1st Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2011, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

DFW to Ireland - 1st Trip Report

This is my first trip report, so I hope you enjoy and take it at least a little easy on me.

For my 30th Birthday I decided to take a trip to Ireland in April 2011. I started planning in the fall of 2010. The basic itinerary was to fly in and out of Dublin, begin by taking 6 days driving around the country and conclude with 3 days in Dublin. I booked the plane tickets in November 2010 thru the United website using my brand new Mileage Plus United Visa. With the 3 miles per $ spent at United and the 30,000 mile sign up bonus I accumulated 42,000 miles right out of the gate. I already have 55,000 Continental miles, so hopefully if/when they combine their programs I’ll have enough miles for a decent reward flight.

My initial flights were all Continental: DFW – EWR – DUB and return in Business Class. In early 2011, I decided to add 3 days to the end of my trip in order to attend the Ballymaloe Cookery School in Shanagarry near Cork. The United folks were helpful and offered two choices: 1. Extend my return date on similar Continental flights $400 or 2. DUB – ORD on Aer Lingus & ORD – DFW on United $1,000. I chose the Continental flights based on cost but secretly wished for the Aer Lingus option just to try something new.

It turns out my wishes were answered. About 45 days from departure I received a changed itinerary email from United. They had put me on a really late return flight from EWR to DFW (arriving around midnight). This would simply not work, as I had to return to work the next morning. I called the friendly United people again and asked about options to get home at an earlier hour (fingers crossed). What do you know; DUB – ORD & ORD – DFW was available. This change required quite a bit more keypunching and “Please hold while I get approvals” than the first, but it went thru. Plus it was no cost additional to me because their schedule change caused it. I was very happy.

Finally the day of departure arrived:

Friday 4-1-11

DFW – EWR: Depart 10:35AM Arrive 3:05 PM
Continental Domestic First
Boeing 737

EWR – DUB Depart 7:10 PM Arrive 6:55 AM
Continetal Business First
Boeing 757

I had arranged transport from my house to DFW with a local limousine service in a Lincoln Town Car. The price is not much more than the airport parking charges and much less worry. Besides I’m on holiday now. Plus if I want to have a few drinks on the flight home driving won’t be a worry. My car arrived sharply at 7 AM. On the way to the airport I had to stop by the office to quickly turn on the Outlook out of office wizard (you always forget something). The trip to the airport took a little over an hour due to heavy traffic. I was there early but no reason to cut it close.

Check in went smoothly at a dedicated First / Business First line. There was no wait, but the female agent seemed only mildly interested and wasn’t overly friendly. She did print both boarding passes and checked my bag thru to DUB with Priority tags. I then went out for a smoke. Security was no problem. The President’s Club lounge was near my departure gate. It was relatively small but not crowded and nice. I found a seat overlooking the planes, had a coffee and watched some episodes of The Office on my iPhone 4 using my Bose QC15 headphones. Later I had a Heineken, sure it was 9:00 am, but I’m on holiday. Some of the business travelers eyed me drinking a beer. It was hard to tell if they were disgustful or jealous.

I left the lounge early to stretch my legs and take a walk around the terminal for 20 minutes arriving back at the gate just as boarding was beginning. The gate agent called early boarding. Everyone was queuing in mass around the gate so I had to weave my way to the front. The First Class cabin was relatively full by the time that I made it on board. The FA took other passenger’s coats, but failed to offer to take mine. Sure it was only a casual jacket and not a suit coat, but it would have nice to not have to fold it up between the seat and side of the plane. I had a window seat. The FA came by with pre-departure drinks in plastic cups. She didn’t speak clearly when offering what she had. I asked for Champagne. None was on the tray. She returned later with cranberry juice. I asked about Champagne and was told: “We don’t have that on-board.” Oh well, I was still enjoying myself.

After takeoff, drinks and a package of nuts were offered. I had a gin and tonic. The lunch meal was served all on one tray. There were two choices. I had the salad with shrimp and don’t remember what the second choice was. The meal included a southwestern corn soup, warm roll, fresh fruit, and a pre-packaged chocolate desert. The soup was good (surprising spicy and hot), the fruit was fresh and tasty, and the roll was good. I skipped the desert. The salad with shrimp was good but not great. I had another gin and tonic with the meal.

So this is only domestic first, so not huge expectations. However I think AA domestic first is generally better. They serve warm nuts in a ramekin with the drink service. Also they serve fresh baked cookies as a separate desert course with sweet liqueurs, milk and coffee. While not a huge difference it does make it seem more special.

Direct TV was offered free. I mainly watched my iPhone and read Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix (my book for the trip).

We arrived to EWR on time. My layover was relatively long. I had planned the whole day for travel and didn’t want to risk missing a connection due to a delay. I headed outside for a smoke. It was a cold wet day in New Jersey.

No trouble getting back thru security, but I was in no hurry. The Presidents Club in EWR is 1 floor up from the main terminal, but sadly no views of the planes. It is basically circular in shape and situated around an atrium to the terminal bellow. I had some water, then a few Heineken’s and some Frito’s as a snack, and charged my iPhone.

I left the lounge early for a walk around the terminal. There was a large selection of restaurants and bars available. I arrived back at the gate close to boarding time. The B757 was the new livery with United name and Continental colors.

Boarding was much more organized this time. We boarded thru a middle door to the plane. I always prefer this as First/Business goes one way and economy goes the other. Obviously this avoids every passenger having to board thru the first isle, which seems to help the FA’s in taking coats and distributing pre-departure drinks.

The amenity kit and menu were on the seats at boarding.

This time I was offered Champagne. It was tasty and nicely cooled, but a very small serving in a plastic cup and no top ups were offered. This flight I had opted for an isle seat. Online research said the 2 + 2 seating could make it difficult for window seats to access the isle if your seatmate was in the bed position. My seatmate was a very polite young lady who had been living in Canada for 10 years but was originally from Ireland. We chatted briefly several times and then mostly kept to ourselves.

We pushed back from the gate close to time. There was an extended taxi and wait prior to take off. My guess would be at least 30 to 45 minutes on the ground. Many other planes were queued for takeoff on a busy Friday evening.

After take-off warm roasted nuts and drink service was offered. I’m a sucker for warm nuts and an ice cold cocktail. I chose another gin and tonic. Continental serves Bombay Sapphire. My drinks arrived premixed so I can’t verify that. The FA‘s on this flight were noticeably warmer and more engaged. Our primary server was a caring, almost grandmotherly, middle aged lady. The head FA was a younger gentleman who seemed military and work very hard. I honestly think he worked the entire flight, helping with service in both cabins.

Just prior to dinner I started watching the Little Fockers #3 movie on the video system. I would give it a B- rating, mildly amusing but would never watch it again. My seatmate was watching a movie that was very sensual at times, possibly The Fighter. I haven’t seen this film so I couldn’t say for sure.

Menu:

HOT APPETIZER CART
A demitasse of creamy corn and poblano soup accompanied by coconut shrimp and a vegetable spring roll with mango chutney.

SALAD AND WARM BREADS
Romaine and mesclun salad mix with hothouse tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and crispy terra sticks.

Your Choice of Champagne vinaigrette or blue cheese dressing.

Freshly baked garlic bread and assorted rolls with butter.

MAIN COURSES

THE CHEF’S SELECTION
Braised beef short rib with bordelaise mushroom sauce, spicy aji Amarillo mashed potatoes, fine green beans, baby carrots and cherry tomato.

SOUTHWEST BREAST OF CHICKEN
Tamale filled breast of chicken served with creamy corn sauce, roasted red and yellow tomatoes and grilled yucca sticks.

SEAFOOD MEDLEY
Grilled rockfish and lump crab meat with cream sauce, collard greens and grape tomato served over barley with vegetables.

PASTA BOWL
Squash and asparagus filled tricolor ravioli served with creamy pomodoro sauce, green and white asparagus, roasted red pepper and grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese.

FRUIT AND CHEESE CART
Select American and imported cheeses, grapes, assorted gourmet crackers, and bread, served with Port wine.

DESSERT CART
Edy’s Classic Grand vanilla ice cream with choice of toppings or an assortment of petite pastries.

Fresh Brew gourmet roasted regular and decaffeinated coffee made exclusively for Continental Airlines or a selection of teas including Earl Grey, Peppermint and English Tea.

From the appetizer cart I selected a shrimp and a veggie spring roll. Both were very good. I decided to skip the soup because I wanted to save room for the main course and it was the same soup I’d had for lunch.

The salad with blue cheese dressing was crisp and fresh. I chose the Braised Beef Short Rib for a main course. It was quite lovely. In my opinion this was a smart selection by Continental. The “low and slow” cooking used on this cut of beef is very much suited to airplane ovens and avoids the risk of overcooked and tough with beef steaks served on airplanes. Two red wines were offered, an Australian Shiraz and a French Bordeaux. Shiraz is my favorite grape. This did not disappoint and was very nice.

The cheese cart was offered next. I was very full but decided to taste a small piece of the blue cheese on offer. It seemed quite bland. The ice cream sundae cart came thru later. Initially I declined desert, but then decided to indulge in a taste. The ice cream was pre-scooped into glasses; toppings were added as selected by each passenger. I asked for some hot fudge. The FA’s then offered coffee. I requested decaffeinated. Unfortunately only instant decaf was available. This seems like a major oversight on an overnight flight. The ice cream was very cold and hard. I do love ice cream so it was enjoyable

After the completion of the meal service and my movie I decided to try and sleep. The seat lies almost completely flat. I usually sleep on my side and am 6’2” tall. Length of the bed / seat was adequate. The major weakness of this flight is that after a delayed takeoff the flight time of 7 hours equates to a time in the air of about 5.5 hours. So basically I laid in bed for about an hour and maybe dozed a little.

Way too soon the FA’s began stirring around the cabin for breakfast service:

PRE-ARRIVAL REFRESHMENT

A selection of juices.

Fresh seasonal fruit and yogurt.

Swiss cheese, pepper-coated salami and ham cold plate.

Assorted breads including cinnamon and crusty rolls and wamr croissants with butter and strawberry preserves.

Fresh Brew gourmet roasted regular and decaffeinated coffee made exclusively for Continental Airlines or a selection of teas including Earl Grey, Peppermint and English Tea.

I was still quite full from dinner. The coffee was strong and needed. The fruit and juice were nice. The croissant was warm and flakey. Coffee refills were offered until just before landing.

We were on the ground at around 6:30 AM and arrived at the gate well before the scheduled 6:55 AM arrival time. Economy was held back and we were allowed to deplane first. The Dublin airport was very empty at this hour. It seemed like we were the first arrival of the day. Customs was very quick with no lines and my bag arrived first, so the priority tag worked.

Next step was to the Hertz counter to claim my hired car. The process was quick and the staff seemed almost as sleepy as me. I reserved an economy car and a GPS unit. I was given an almost new black Peugeot 308 with only 800 km on the odometer. It was a 4-door hatchback with diesel engine and 5-speed manual transmission. After a smoke and trying to get in on the wrong side of the car I was headed off into a bright sunny Irish morning.

Because I had never driven in a foreign country I thought the GPS would be a great help. I hadn’t used GPS navigation before. My first destination was Cashel, which is a nice halfway stop between Dublin and my final destination for the day, The Dingle Peninsula. So I entered in my destination and blindly followed the on screen map and soothing female voice. Just before noon I new I was in trouble when I made my third circle around a small Irish town that I can’t remember the name of. So much for the GPS. I unplugged it and placed it in the trunk where it stayed the rest of the trip. Luckily I had purchased the Ordinance Survey Official Road Atlas Ireland prior to leaving. Using the map I found my location and plotted a route to my desired destination. The cool part was that I got to drive for about an hour and a half thru some very narrow rural roads. The countryside was beautiful and I was ecstatic to see areas that I wouldn’t have seen otherwise.

I won’t bore you with the details of the next few days. In short, I spent 2 nights in Dingle, 2 nights in Galway, 1 night in Belfast, and then back to Dublin seeing many of the sites around and between these cities. While driving I really enjoyed the RTE Irish talk radio stations and also occasionally some BBC radio. The Peugeot took 1 full tank of diesel for 70 Euro and a top up just before returning it for 30 Euro. It was very enjoyable to drive. Driving on the left side of the road was surprisingly easy. The roundabouts in place of intersections took a little getting used to.

Here are a few photos from my travels:

DUB – ORK Depart 6:40 PM Arrive 7:30 PM
Ryanair
Boeing 737-800

I spent Sunday morning finishing a few must see sights and souvenir shopping in Dublin (Guinness Brewery and the like) before taking a cab from my hotel back to the Dublin airport. The flight from Dublin to Cork is very short and normally I would have preferred driving or taking a train for this distance. Unfortunately, the train arrived back too close to my departure time on my return day and having already returned my hired car I didn’t feel like going thru the trouble of checking out and returning a car for a second time.

A quick Google search revealed inexpensive Ryanair flights DUB – CORK. The return price including checked bag, priority boarding, and web check in totaled 125 Euro. Ryanair requires that you print your own boarding pass. Failure to do this results in an additional fee at the airport of approximately 30 Euro. Boarding passes are available 14 days prior to departure so I was able to print mine prior to leaving the US. Check in at the Dublin airport was relatively smooth. I did go to the EU passport check lane before being redirected to the Ireland and UK line.

Ryanair uses the older Terminal 1 at Dublin. All the planes were boarded from the ground and no jet-ways were used. As far as I could tell all their planes are Boeing 737’s. They had interesting stairways that deploy from the plane. For de-boarding and additional set of steps was rolled up to the rear of the plane.

The flight was quick and on time. The plane seemed new and was in good condition. Seating was tight but not more so than US domestic economy class. The seat back in front of you had no pocket, just a hard plastic back with the safety information printed on it. A cost saving measure I assume. The entire flight the FA‘s were up and down the isles selling something, drinks, snacks, cigarettes, raffle tickets of some sort, etcetera. We arrived to Cork early. The Cork Airport is a modern facility with about 8 or 10 gates.

I had pre-arranged cab transport from the airport to Ballymaloe. After arrival and retrieving my bag there was still no sign of my car in the arrivals area. It was still a few minutes before my scheduled arrival time so I headed outside for a few cigarettes as the evening faded into nighttime. At 15 minutes after my scheduled arrival time I decided to call the cab company. They had my transport scheduled for the next day, oops, “We’ll send the car now, but it will be a little while.” Finally the car arrived. The driver was friendly and the ride to Ballymaloe took about 40 minutes. I arrived at my destination at around 9:30 PM.
I then spent two lovely days watching chefs prepare food, cooking, eating, and enjoying the grounds at The Ballymaloe Cookery School. The evening prior to my departure I enjoyed a few pints with some mates from the school while watching the Manchester United versus Chelsea football game at the village pub.

ORK – DUB Depart 7:30 AM Arrive 8:20 AM
Ryanair
Boeing 737-800

My iPhone alarm woke me very early to make the 7:30 flight back to Dublin. I utilized the same cab service back to the airport. This time I called the evening before my departure day to confirm the transport. It was a good thing I did, as they seemed slightly confused. The driver was waiting on me right on time the next morning though, so this was a big relief.

The Cork Airport was busy on a Wednesday morning. After a quick smoke I checked my bag and cleared security with no issues. It was a cool wet morning in Cork. The flight was uneventful and again all sorts of for purchase items were offered. Being a 30 min flight the passengers purchased very little.

The Ryanair flight arrived into Dublin Terminal 1. My bag arrived along with the others. It was quite a walk to the new Terminal 2. Part of the path is basically an exterior sidewalk with a long tent like structure covering it. I had a smoke or two and headed in to Aer Lingus check in.
Old May 12, 2011, 2:26 am

Very enjoyable read! Having just passed through DUB myself, i was very impressed with the new T2. Quite an imposing but lovely structure. Also some beautiful pictures of the Irish countryside, looks like a a great trip.
Old May 12, 2011, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Welcome to FT fwtex.

Great TR, very good read and pics.
Old May 12, 2011, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Conclusion to Trip Report

DUB – ORD: Depart 12:50PM Arrive 3:15 PM
Aer Lingus Business Premier
Airbus A330

ORD –DFW Depart 4:55 PM Arrive 7:22 PM
United Domestic First
Boeing 737

The departures area of Terminal 2 is on three levels (Ticketing, Restaurants, and Security). It is an attractive modern building. The Aer Lingus ticketing area was very green. Dedicated lanes were offered for Business Class check in. There were two female agents working the desk and I only had to wait for one person to be helped in front of me.

Once at the desk, I presented my United e-ticket print out with Continental, Aer Lingus, and United confirmation numbers. The desk agent printed both boarding passes and had tagged my bag when she realized that my DUB – ORD boarding pass was marked “Coupon Required”. Her, “Sir do you have your ticket number?” Me, “Um, all they gave was my confirmation number….” Her, “I’m not able to issue a boarding pass without a ticket number.” Me, “Ummm….” She then removed the tag from my bag and reclaimed my ORD – DFW boarding pass. She was kind enough to call the ticketing desk to let them know I was headed their way, briefly explaining my situation.

I made my way to the ticketing counter and explained my situation. The agent there was not helpful and said I’d have to call United. I felt slightly offended by not being offered more assistance for a ticket that was quite expensive. Never the less I stepped away from the desk to call United. Unfortunately, my confirmation number printout did not have a customer service phone number for United. I re-approached the agent to ask for a phone number. He was quite put out giving me the number and even more so when I asked for a pen to write the number down. I tired calling the number several times but was getting an error message. I then asked a younger ticketing agent about the phone number. He was more helpful a pointed out where the first agent had given me one to many zero’s to make the international call from my US cell phone to United’s Ireland customer service. (They had several unused phones on their desks and no one was in line behind me, so I was offended.) The United agent quickly looked my reservation up and issued me with a ticket number. “They don’t already have that?” she asked.

With the ticket number I returned to the Business check in area. They quickly printed both boarding passes, checked my bag thru to DFW, and directed me to the lounge.

No issues with security that empties into a vast shopping area. I exchanged my Euro’s for dollars and headed to the Aer Lingus lounge, which is located 1 level down near other lounges right next door to the Continental lounge. The lounge corridor somewhat resembled a service corridor. The lounge itself was a very nice airy 2 level space with large windows looking out on the planes. The chairs were grouped around green round shag rugs that reminded me of grass and were very fitting for Ireland. There is a nice water feature with famous names and dates, but the red neon tube would seem much more fitting in green to me. Beverages, packaged snacks, and a few light breakfast options were offered. I went up to the second level for the “Viewing Area.” There was an additional drink and snack bar up there as well. The view was similar to the first level and no power outlets were offered. I needed to charge my iPhone so I moved back down to the first level. Shower rooms were available on the second level. I had several bottles of water, some Fig Rolls cookies, and finished with a can of Carlsburg Beer before leaving the lounge. Guinness on tap would have been a nice touch. (It was available in cans, but I can get that at home.)

I was instructed to leave the lounge fairly early in order to pass thru the pre-departure US customs and immigration. The queue was fairly long for screening, more so for non-US travelers. The terminal on the airside of US immigration was quite starch with hard floors and chairs and only one small kiosk offering take away snacks and drinks. It is on ground level so the view of the planes was interesting. I assume that the upper floor is the “normal” terminal and planes can be boarded from either level.

Here is my Airbus A330-300 “St. Munchin”:

Priority boarding was called and I was one of the first passengers on board. The jetway was connected to the middle door, so business class passengers turned left upon entering the plane. The business class cabin is a 2+2+2 configuration with 4 rows. I was in 2D, an interior isle seat. It turns out the business class load was very light and I had row 2 all to myself. The other rows only had 1 or 2 passengers also.

Just after being seated Champagne was offered in a proper crystal glass. It was nicely cool and quite lovely. Champagne Jean Pernet Cuvee Tradition N.V.

A top up was offered, in which I indulged. Boarding proceeded and was quite relaxed in the business class cabin. I enjoyed both glasses of bubbles. The menus and amenity kits were already laid out on the seats at boarding. We pushed back on time. The entertainment system was turned off, so I broke out the iPhone for some music and TV episodes.

We were soon in the air. I was sad to see Ireland sink away bellow. Luckily I had the next 8 hours of rest and relaxation to look forward to.

Menu:

LUNCH

TO START

A SELECTION OF HOT AND COLD CANAPES
(Pate de foie on toast, cream cheese with pesto, antipasti, followed by chicken skewers).

If preffered, a limited quantity of vegetable cruditites is available – accompanied by a light dip.

SEAFOOD PLATE
Slices of smoked salmon, smoked trout, and peppered BBQ salmon served with a mustard grain mayonnaise, cherry tomato and lemon wedge.

Or

DUCK LIVER TERRINE
Sliced duck liver terrine served with pear in red wine, cucumber, cherry tomato and olives.

BREAD
A selection of warm bread rolls:
Tomato and fennel
Multi cereal
Plain white
Herbs de Provence

SALAD BOWL
This month we have a red cabbage and alfalfa salad served with cherry tomato and frieze lettuce with a balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

ENTREES

FILLET STEAK
Tender fillet steak medallions served with green pepper sauce. Sauté potatoes with onion and diced mixed vegetables.

Or

CHICKEN CAPRICE
Grilled chicken fillet on a bed of basil coated spaghetti covered with a caprice sauce and garnished with sun dried tomato, black olives and sugar snap peas.

Or

SEAFOOD PIE
Salmon, prawns, smoked coly and monkfish in a white sauce topped with a potato and cheddar mash and served with mixed peppers, carrots, and turnips.

Or

WILD MUSHROOM RISOTTO
A risotto made with fresh forest mushrooms, served with asparagus and roast peppers and topped with a garnish of diced tomato.

DESSERTS

WARM APPLE PIE
Served with a crème anglaise sauce.

Or

BANOFFE AND STRAWBERRY SOUFFLE MINIS
Served with a summer fruit coulis

We also provide a limited quantity of fresh fruit salad, which is available on request.

CHEESE PLATE
A selection of Irish and continental cheese.
Gortamona cheese (goats)
Carragline garlic and herb
Accompanied by Water Biscuits and Digestives

TEA OR COFFEE
Brewleys Java rich roast coffee
Clipper gold teas
Selection of herbal teas
Decaffeinated coffee

The wine list was presented on a separate sheet included in the menu. 2 whites, 2 reds, and 1 champagne were offered along with spirits and beers. The wines had lengthy descriptions of the wine itself and the source vineyard. I’ll omit the descriptions here.

WHITE WINES
The Olive Grove Chardonnay, 2010, of Arenberg, McLaren Vale, South Australia

Monte Florentine Soave Classico, 2009, Ca’ Rugate, Veneto, Italy

Champagne Jean Pernet Cuvee Tradition N.V.

RED WINES
Lawson’s Dry Hills Pinot Noir, 2009, Marlborough, New Zealand

Chateau Mas Neuf Cuvee Compostelle, 2007, Costieres de Nimes, Rhones, France

The canapés were served with cocktails. I had a gin and tonic. They served Cork Gin and Schweppes Tonic. I was given two bottles of gin and two small cans of tonic. The canapés were very tasty and I prefer to mix my own cocktails so I can tailor the flavor to my own taste.

The salad and seafood started were presented next on one tray. Both were fresh and very good. I had another glass of Champagne to accompany the smoked fish.

I chose the beef main course with a nice glass of the French Red wine. It was tasty and the serving size was quite adequate.

Desert and cheese were served on the same tray. I chose the apple pie with a cup of coffee. By this time I was quite full so I only ate a portion of the pie and a small taste of the goat cheese. The fresh strawberry and fig were a nice compliment to the cheese.

Just as the meal service started a male FA turned on the entertainment system. Over the next hour or so the system was restarted and rebooted several times. I had actually gotten about 15 minutes into “Due Date” with Zach Galifinakis and Robert Downey, Jr. at one point when the system crashed and needed to be restarted again. The main control panel for the system was near my seat so I could see the FA struggling with the system. It finally started working and did so for the rest of the flight.

After the completion of the meal service the FA’s distributed bottled water. I reclined my seat and continued watching my movie. After my meal settled for a while I asked for another gin and tonic. It was delivered quickly with a smile. I had several more gin and tonics throughout the rest of the flight. While the 1st gin and tonic was served with Cork Gin, I was given Beefeaters for the rest. I’m not sure why this was, possibly just what they had on board. A fresh glass with ice and lemon wedge was delivered with each cocktail. After the movie was over I watched an episode of “The Pacific,” and HBO mini-series similar to Band of Brothers except set in the Pacific Theater. I hadn’t seen this before. It was good and very similar to Band of Brothers. I also watched some TV episodes and music videos from “The Script.” The movies and TV episodes available were good but the selection was somewhat limited.

Afternoon tea was offered later in the flight. I was still quite full so opted to continue drinking gin and tonics.

AFTERNOON TEA

LIGHT SNACK
Warm Scones
Fruit
Plain
Brown
Toffee
White chocolate and raspberry

TEA OR COFFEE

Landing and arrival into Chicago was uneventful. It was a clear afternoon, so there were good views of the Chicago skyline and Lake Michigan. The business class cabin was allowed to de-plane first. After quite a walk I reached a terminal exit and stepped outside for a much needed cigarette. Then it was on to the inter-terminal train to catch my flight back to DFW. Upon arrival to my departure terminal I went outside for another smoke. ORD was very busy and this was the longest most chaotic trip through security of the trip. Once, airside I located my flight on the departures board and headed off to the gate. When I reached the gate the information screen notified me off a gate change and delay. So it was back to very close to where I started. The waiting area was very full, but I found a spot on the floor behind some signs with a power outlet. I charged my iPhone and watched some more episodes of The Office.

The flight ended up departing about an hour late due to a late arrival of the plane. The ground crew did a quick turn around. It was only a few minutes after the last arriving passenger left that boarding for the next flight was started. The plane was the new livery with United name and Continental colors.

First class on this B737 was only 2 rows of 2+2. Both first class and economy were full. Usually domestic first is quite a treat for me, but after the earlier international business class flight, it was somewhat of a disappointment. Cocktails and a warm ramekin of nuts were offered after take off. I had another gin and tonic.

Dinner was served after that. I had a grilled chicken skewer with rice, a salad, and warm roll. The salad was crisp and cool and the roll was warm. The chicken dish was good but not great. I don’t remember what the other meal option was.

I had a few more cocktails and inadvertently fell asleep after dinner, but then again I had been awake for 20 hours and indulged in quite a bit of gin. Just before landing I woke up. We arrived about an hour late. After retrieving my bag I headed outside. My car and driver were waiting near the exit. I had a quick smoke and then was on the road for the quick 30-minute ride to my house and back to work the next day.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Ireland and the flights were very nice. Aer Lingus wins out on the quality of food and services, but then I always prefer the daytime westbound transatlantic to nighttime eastbound flights. Also, I’m sure the quite empty business class cabin contributed to the service. Their only negatives were my treatment at the ticketing desk in DUB and the malfunctioning entertainment system.

I have a few domestic economy trips planned for work and pleasure over the summer. My next international premium class flights will be for a long weekend to Paris in November. British Airways DFW – LHR – CDG and return. The DFW – LHR leg is on a 747 and I have booked Club World on the upper deck in 64A. This will only be my second time on a 747 and first time in BA Club World and on the upper deck. I’m quite excited.

Hopefully you have enjoyed my first trip report. Feedback is welcome.
Old May 12, 2011, 6:18 am

Welcome to FT and the Trip Reports Forum. And if I may say, congratulations on a very nice start to your TR career

Originally Posted by fwtex
With the 3 miles per $ spent at United and the 30,000 mile sign up bonus I accumulated 42,000 miles right out of the gate. I already have 55,000 Continental miles, so hopefully if/when they combine their programs I’ll have enough miles for a decent reward flight.
This thread may be of some interest to you.
Old May 12, 2011, 9:38 am

Nice report and photos.

All Ryanair aircraft are 737-800's.

As for boarding by bus and stairs, RYR are in dispute with the new Alicante airport over the fact that the airport owners are now saying that RYR will have to start using airbridges. RYR say this will add $2m a year to their operating costs. Don't know why they are .....in', they'll only pass the costs onto Joe Public.
Old May 12, 2011, 1:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I enjoyed your report, a very good one for your first! One minor correction to make, your ORD-DFW aircraft was an A-319 not a 737. Other than that, flawless!
Old May 12, 2011, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

I'm glad you enjoyed. Thanks for the correction on the ORD - DFW plane.
Old May 23, 2011, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for reading my first trip report. Do you all have any suggestions to make the next one more interesting and readable? Your feedback is welcome.
Old May 26, 2011, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Very good report, and great pics ^

I do find it odd how American carriers don't use real glasses for pre-departure beverages in premium cabins

The Continental breakfast prior to arriving in DUB did not look very impressive.

IMO, the ticketing agent in DUB should have offered to phone United for you to sort out the mess. In any case, his attitude sounds unacceptable.

I'm not a fan of the Aer Lingus DUB lounge design, but their onboard food in J looks decent enough.

Once again, thanks for sharing
Old May 26, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Nice trip report, thanks for sharing!

The food and drink service on Aer Lingus looks pretty good actually! I had always associated them with the more budget carriers. Shame about their services during the ticketing fiasco - that is just not really good enough.
Old May 26, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Good first trip report. Looking forward to more in the future.
Old May 26, 2011, 2:42 pm

thanks for a great read. Heading to DUB ourselves this fall. You gave us plenty of "food for thought". thanks
Old May 27, 2011, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! What a fabulous TR!!! I can't personally why EI agent having a problems with your next flight ORD-DFW. You were trying to called airlines to given out your ticket counter and you have to brings your flight itinerary along with you next time.

I am embarrassed what happened of your trip in DUB. She wasn't rude you at all? You have be respected with EI agent and lets EI agent is doing their jobs. You probably know better that you can't called from your US cell phone in EU. Because it is too expensive. You have wait to get it back to USA. It will costs too much money that you called from Ireland.
Old May 28, 2011, 12:09 am

Programs: Various
Nice job capturing your experience of Ireland. It's really a beautiful place to visit and easy to adjust to the small cultural differences.

How was driving in Dublin and getting used to the difference of driving on the other side of the road? Can't believe you passed up scones and tea on the flight home...it's like comfort food. EI sounds like a decent airline, even though many people knock them down/give poor ratings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.