Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Aren’t you a little young for RTW trips already? (VX F/LH F/LX F/TG F/CX J/QF J/AA F)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aren’t you a little young for RTW trips already? (VX F/LH F/LX F/TG F/CX J/QF J/AA F)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:33 pm

Well done report.

Your cheese plate from Thai has a special layered cheese with fruit and nuts that I thought Thai had discontinued - I haven't seen it in some time and was just on BKK-FRA in F a month ago. I looked for it but none was to be had! It's at the 8 o'clock position on your plate.
I LOVE that cheese, and am glad to see some flights have it! It has been around for years and years in F.........
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Great pics Francis. Looks just like a typical mid-con AA meal.
But that old projector? And the exterior photo of the plane around the cockpit window looks pretty battered and abused.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Well done report.

Your cheese plate from Thai has a special layered cheese with fruit and nuts that I thought Thai had discontinued - I haven't seen it in some time and was just on BKK-FRA in F a month ago. I looked for it but none was to be had! It's at the 8 o'clock position on your plate.
I LOVE that cheese, and am glad to see some flights have it! It has been around for years and years in F.........

Wow, I didn't even know that was hard to find. One's garbage is another treasure! Unfortunately it did went to waste since I'm not fond of cheese typically

Originally Posted by SFO777
Great pics Francis. Looks just like a typical mid-con AA meal.
But that old projector? And the exterior photo of the plane around the cockpit window looks pretty battered and abused.
It's another typical mid-con AA meal

TG did surprised me in a nice way in terms of service, I didn't really have any expection for this sector although I was hoping to get a massage at the TG BKK First lounge
I bet that old projector is probably older than me, heck half of AA's fleet is The photos don't quite do enough justice, the 744 looked worse in person the what the photos showed.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Hong Kong Photos Supplement Section

Since I do live part time in HKG, I’m not going to doing a TR sections on Hong Kong but enjoy the pics anyways and feel free to ask any questions about the pics.

Views from the Peak

Night Victoria Harbour Views

Lantau Island

Old Aug 18, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
Valrhona tart for dessert!

Excellent TR so far! Keep up the good work!^
Old Aug 26, 2010, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Part 8 – Cathay Pacific Business Class HKG-SIN with a visit to "The Pier"

Aug 20, 2010 - Friday
CX 739 HKG-SIN 11:20am - 3:05pm (77W/J)

After about a month’s rest at home in HKG, I was finally back on the road. Due to the morning traffic as well as having people, a taxi made more sense for us to getting to the airport. It ended up taking just around 45 mins from our apartment to HKG. Once we’re in, both me and my mom said “Wow, this place is virtually empty”, mind you we’re checking around 9:30am but it was still a eyesore as the whole row of CX First & Business Counters were horribly empty. I was also able to get a clearance from the check-in area to get a first class seat for the 2 class service.

Hong Kong International Airport

Security was also very speedy as well today and we’re soon inside into The Wing, CX made an exception for me today allowing me, my dad and my mom into the First Class section. Inside, not much better, no more than 6-8 guests in the First Class section either. Oh well, a light breakfast for me then all 3 of us made our separate ways. Despite today’s departure being at gate 4, last time I did a trip report on the JL Sakura, QF First & Business Class lounge and “The Wing”, so I decided to get some pics and try out “The Pier” despite being short on time.

Go into the Pier, it was even worse than “the Wing”, I was the only guest in. Oh well, got to work quickly in getting some pics down then off to a refreshing shower. When I came back out, 2 additional guests showed up. Unfortunately since I was running behind, I didn’t try the Daybreak Rooms. But as many others have said, The Wing vs. The Pier is close to being the same standard so whichever one is closer is usually the tie-breaker.

Cathay Pacific “The Pier” First Class Section

For anyone that is considering trying out the lounges around gate 40 and beyond, note that it took me at least 10-15 mins to walk back to the gate 1-4, so unless you have large amounts of time, don’t bother.
When I was originally fiddling with this reservation all the way back in April, the plane was only a Boeing 777-300 Regional then it got changed to a Boeing 777-200then about 3 days before departure, it was finally changed to the Boeing 777-300ER. CX is known to change planes frequently on short haul and all 3 of my short haul flight on CX/KA this year got changed, 2 in my favor, 1 wasn’t. This time was good for me as I went from a regional J>long haul J>long haul F seat. I was warned that despite being in the first class cabin, it was still business service which was fine for my standards.

Cathay Pacific Airways Boeing 777-300ER

Cathay Pacific Airways 739
Hong Kong to Singapore Changi
11:20am – 3:05pm, 3 hrs 45 mins
Business Class (First Class Cabin), Seat 2A>1K
Food – Lunch
Equipment – Boeing 777-300ER

After boarding, me being the only emerald of the travelling party originally got a seat in first class cabin, so we originally had 2A, 11A, 12A which was still excellent. But as the FA served me, I slightly hinted about my family and at the last minute was brought up to the first class cabin, we had a First Class living room consisting of 1D, 1K, and 2K. In the end, another customer in business cabin took 1A as he was inbounding on an F ticket. So we had 4/6 in the cabin.

Cathay Pacific 77W First Class Seat

Please refer back to my other report for more CX First Class Seat pics

Pre-Departure Drink

The service I said was a bit between first and business as I did get a personalized PDB which was unexpected along with some slight service differences which I normally get in CX J. The plane pushed back on time and after a 25 min runway wait, we were in the air.

The FAs noticed I was an emerald while my parents were only CX Silver(ex-Gold). They seem a little surprised but genuinely ask why didn’t put my mileage into the Marco Polo club. I of course carefully explained my reasoning. Canada/US based, travel routes, desire for maximum mileage earning, CX Gold benefits not suitable for my travel pattern were some of my reasons. This also surprised the ISM as my mom told the FAs about some parts of our trips so I also explained what else we did, and soon the service began.

CX 739 Lunch
Starters
Parma Ham with Melon

Seasonal Salad with balsamic vinegar dressing

Main Course
Sauteed sea bass with sweet and spicy sauce, steamed jasmine rice and Chinese mixed vegetables

Roasted chicken breast with mushroom cream sauce, potato gratin, broccoli, and ratatouille

Spinach and ricotta tortellini with saffron cream sauce and cherry tomatoes

Dessert
Fresh Seasonal fruit

Lychee and Mango Mousse Cake

Tea and Coffee

Green Tea Macaroon

Appetizers

Main Course

Fruit and Dessert

I actually ate a little less than my usual, that’s a start. The meal was a delightful surprise for me as I am usually on CX red-eye which mean I never get a actual appetizer. Can CX Business Class food get better, they might be able to but it was reasonably good for me.

Flight passing through the coast of Vietnam

Near the end of the flight, I enquired about the amount of Emerald which was on the flight, apparently I was the only Emerald that held a J ticket and the ISM later explained that only those with J ticket will be considered for the F seat which seems logical. She never really an actual number but it was hinted at less than 10 CX Diamond and Emerald combined. An hour of CX’s fabulous AVOD and Singapore awaits me.

Next Part
Part 9 - Grand Hyatt Singapore

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Aug 26, 2010 at 8:14 am
Old Aug 26, 2010, 7:15 am
Original Poster

I think this is the last part I'll be able to complete before going on the cruise which means I'll be computerless almost. Trip is going decent and I look forward to getting good pics for the upcoming parts.

SHF at the Park Hyatt Sydney
Old Aug 26, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OWE)
Enjoying the TR!

Be careful about statements like:

no people in wheelchairs everywhere.
I would hate for people to think that you objected to people who require wheelchairs for mobility...
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillR
Enjoying the TR!

Be careful about statements like:

I would hate for people to think that you objected to people who require wheelchairs for mobility...
No no, wheelchairs certainly have a need for the people that need it. The benefit for preboarding for wheelchairs is an understandable one and I certainly hope airline continue such practice. The benefit for preboarding young children however is more debatable of course. Can you tell me which part I posted that in and I'll revise on it?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OWE)
It was here:

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Ok, I made it, one short page to the upstairs reception and soon I was received by the Lufthansa reception. I could get used to this, a private security line and terminal all away from the public. No pushy kids, no crying babies, no people in wheelchairs everywhere. I guess I can’t said no, but at least the chance of the first two are very unlikely. But like many others would say, if the parents wants to paid for the kid to fly in First, props to them. Due to the long walk over to the FCT, the first thing I wanted a shower and a visit with the Lufthansa ducky

As I said, enjoying your TR a lot
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Oh ok, change made
Old Aug 27, 2010, 7:14 pm

Programs: FT
not sure if it is just me or not but the F pier lounge is not as far above the J pier lounge as i would have thought. the showers are identical and so appears to be the food area...

love your TR BTW...my wife with HKG parents loves reading about your travels with them...

now if only there was a chance my J trip on CX/KA to BLR could be in a long haul J...
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
Thansk for the report. Great photos and a good read.

CX ' food in J looks quite depressing. (cold cuts as starter!)
Old Aug 29, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
Originally Posted by palermo
Thansk for the report. Great photos and a good read.

CX ' food in J looks quite depressing. (cold cuts as starter!)
+ 1

I was also very surprised by that!

And I have always enjoyed their J offerings.... ^
Old Aug 31, 2010, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Thanks for sharing this great report. Keep up the good work!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.