Wiki Posts
Search

5 Boeings Straight to the Airbus Do - FTer feasts in first, business & economy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
The flight passed very quickly and in no time at all it was time for a last drink, a speedy clear up of the rubbish and get into our seats for final approach to Toulouse. The camera was once again on the monitors. We did a very low altitude pass down the runway before pulling up at the end (footage in the link in my signature) to much cheering and yelling onboard. I bet the (Boeing) pilots loved that at home of Airbus.

The second time around we landed and taxiied past a collection of airbusses and the big beluga to our stand position.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 3:28 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Apologies for the delay in posting the next bit. Access to FT has finally been restored in this part of the world, so expects some more updates soon.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 3:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

TOULOUSE

A short ride to the terminal where we’d been allocated belt 5 in luggage claim (who checked their bags to TLS?) then into buses for a short ride to one of the nearby Airbus buildings. Up to the second floor where some water, juice, cola, tea & coffee were laid out. A short chance to chat before a little speech and then we were split up. We got a small bag of swag on the way out.

Two tours on offer – one of the factory line and another of cabin mock-ups. I went to the cabin mock-up. We had a short bus ride to another building where we were split into smaller groups.

Each aircraft type had a full-size mock-up of the cabin complete with sample interiors (non-airline specific). First we were shown the A380. Having been in a few A380s by now I wasn’t too impressed by the samples. With the exception of lounging areas there was nothing new. Unfortunately our guide wasn’t too good at answering questions.

After we’d climbed all through the A380 mock-up our guide disappeared. After waiting for a while (and wondering if we should sample the booze stashed away in bars, seats etc) we decided to show ourselves around the other cabin mock-ups. There was A350, A330/340 and new A320. An Airbus private jet cabin was closed up with blinds down.

We’d shown ourselves around most of the cabins when security showed up, unhappy we had no guide. A sales manager then turned up and took us into a showroom for questions and answers. Apparently we just missed the first A330F flight – which took off before we arrived and landed while we were in the tours.

It was all a bit disorganised and suddenly we had to go to get back to our plane, with just time for 5 minutes at the Airbus shop en route. I had a look at buying some models & souvenirs but the prices were outrageous. Back at the terminal we had to pick up new boarding passes, then go through security to our gate. There was a bit of a wait at the gate, which meant another option to chat with other FTers.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 3:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

TOULOUSE to FRANKFURT (TLS-FRA) on party flight Condor 757-300 in economy class

The delay was for the fuelling to finish.

This is a short flight and the crew were kept very busy. First we had safety demonstration by some mods in lederhosen. Then a quick drink service (or three depending on how quick you were to grab drinks off the trolleys). Then the charity raffle was drawn which took most of the flight. Over $5000 was raised.

We got a gate on A pier, quite close to our next destination.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 6:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

FRANKFURT arrival

The organisers had arranged for our exclusive use of the, fairly new, Tower Lounge. Picture this if you will – over 200 hungry, thirsty and excited FTers swarming from the gate to immigration and up on to the lounge. Yes Tower Lounge is in the non-schengen zone of the terminal and thus we would all need to clear immigration twice in order to enjoy the festivities.

I still had my carry-on, and being desperately tired, wouldn’t have minded heading to the hotel and having a shower before coming back. Of course that isn’t possible so I joined in the fun.

The Tower Lounge is quite nice with great views, perhaps the best of the Frankfurt lounges (other than First Class Terminal and First Class Lounges).

Inside I grabbed a drink, and dropped off some gifts I’d brought with me. Then I had some interviews. By the time that was done we were packing up, for we had to clear immigration before it shuts at 2330. The food was gone, and I’d had none. Oh well at least there was still some drink left.

Immigration was kept open a bit later than normal that night. Oops. When I made it to the Sheraton I checked in. There was a small delay while they linked my reservations (I’d made separate ones for each night as I had changed my plans over time) and found a suitable room for me. I had a choice of an okay room that was fairly close, or a nicer one that was distant. I chose the close room. The view was crap, but hey I really only needed a bed and a shower.

Originally I was going to stay at some PC properties as I'd found some great rates with bonus miles, and with hotel switching I'd get another 2 stays (important for the stay x and other promos). However once the schedule became clearer I cancelled those stays because I didn't fancy shuttling back and forth by cabs in the wee hours of the morning, nor having the inconvenience of dumping my carry-on in someone's room for the Friday while I was in between hotels. While I miss the copious PC points (I would have netted at least 30k across the 2 nights), I'm glad I stayed at the Sheraton for the convenience.

Once I’d dropped off bags and had a shower I then enjoyed some chat and quiet drinks at various spots around the Sheraton with other FTers well into the morning.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:35 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Lufthansa tours

Barely a couple of hours later I awoke and struggled down to the meeting place for today’s tours. A Lufthansa guy came and spoke at our group. Unfortunately he was far too quiet and speaking toward only a portion of our group, with everyone else (including me) unable to hear. I guessed the Technik sign meant this would be a tour I’d be interested in so I joined him as he led FTers off.

We had a short drive to some hangars. A quick run through security and then we were split into 3 groups. Our guide was a retired engineer, very knowledgeable and quite funny. Over the next few hours we climbed over and through a 747-400 and A340-600.

By the time we got back the lack of food & sleep were getting to me. I skipped the afternoon tour and checked in for my next 3 flights. Since I have a very early start tomorrow, I skipped the Seeheim dinner, party & sleepover.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 4:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

FRANKFURT to MUNICH (FRA-MUC) on Lufthansa A321 in business class

Up at OMG o’clock, there were no customers at check in when I went to check out. Since I had already checked in for my flight all I had to do was head for security. Pier A security opens at 0500. I was quickly through and walking the slumbering corridors towards the lounge. Newspapers were being delivered, shops and coffee carts slowly opening up and gradually the terminal was coming to life.

By A26 I saw 2 signs for FTers “this way to Tower Lounge”, still in place after more than a day. Upstairs the first class lounge wasn’t yet opened (officially opens at 0530) but I was let in after waiting only a short while. I caught up on some messages and had a couple of much needed coffees.

At the appropriate time I left and went down to the gate, near the base of A pier. The flight was fairly full.

We had the usual shorthaul intra-european business service – moist towelette, water, juice, tea or coffee, light breakfast.

It was very foggy in Munich, and a bit frosty – we had no view of the ground until we touched down with a bump. Fortunately we got an airbridge so only a short walk in the cold.

I had a meeting in town so made my way to the train station, bought a day pass for 10 euros and went on my way.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

MUNICH to SINGAPORE (MUC-SIN) on Lufthansa A340-600 in first class

Back at the airport I went straight through security into the lounge. I caught up on some messages, had a shower then just had enough time (so I thought) for a quick bite before boarding in order to maximise my sleeping time.

While my drinks orders were filled quickly, and refilled, the same could not be said of my food order. After 30 minutes, and already just past the boarding time for my flight, I asked how much longer it would take only to be told “just another 15 minutes”. if they knew it was going to take a while they should have checked I have sufficient time before my flight. I wasn’t happy.

I picked up my passport from immigration in the lounge and stormed off to the gate. Boarding was well underway so I walked right on.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Lufthansa
First Class menu
Munich First Class Lounge
November 2009

Breakfast

Freshly Squeezed Juice

Orange
Grapefruit
Kiwi
Multivitamin

Coffee/Tea/Hot Chocolate

Coffee / Cappuccino / White Coffee / Latte Macchiato

Espresso / Espresso Macchiato

Black Tea / Green Tea / Red Tea

Hot Chocolate

Fruits / Yogurt / Cereals

Yogurt, with fruits

Fruit salad with acacia honey

Homemade Bircher granola

Fresh fruit

Cornflakes

Oat flakes

Ham / Sausage / Cheese / Fish

Salami / Southern Bavarian Ham

Scottish Salmon

Cottage Cheese / Camembert

Freshly Cooked - Eggs from the Organic Farm

Eggs cooked as you wish

Scrambled Eggs / Omelette / Fried Egg
of your choice with Bacon, Sausage, Herbs, Grilled Tomato

Pancakes filled Savoury or Sweet

From our Bakery

Bread Roll / Baguette / Toast / Several Bread / Butter Croissant / Danish Pastry

Jams / Honey

Menu

Starters from the Buffet

Antipasti

Sushi selection

Baby Leaf Salad with Various Toppings

Soups

Sweet Chestnut Soup with Walnutbread Croutons

Spring Chicken Soup with Root Vegetables and Herb Royale

Vegetarian

Creamy Pear Risotto with Gorgonzola

Fish

Poached Wild Salmon in Lime and Whitewine Stock with Fried Zucchini and Pepper, served with Basmati Rice

Around the World - Welcome to Asia

Chicken Breast Sweet and Sour, with Asian Vegetables and Fried Noodles

Pan Fried

"Viennese" Schnitzel with Warm Potato Salad

Beef Steak with Red and Green Pepper Butter, Carrots, Fennel and Potatoes in Bacon Fat (15 minutes)

Special of the Day

Dear Guest,
We offer you a daily changing special. Just ask our service team!

Bavarian Delicacies

Munich Veal Sausage
with Sweet Mustard

Bavarian Meat Loaf

Fried Sausage from Nuremberg on Sauerkraut

Desserts from the Buffet

Creme Brulee served in a Jam Jar

Small Pumpkin Pie with Vanilla Cream

Fresh Fruit Salad with Berries and Acacia Honey

Kumquat Ragout in Cointreau with Chocolate Orange Cream

Beverage Selection

Champagne

Champagne Ruinart Blanc de Blancs Brut

Champagne Ruinart Rose

Champagne Bourgeois Brut

White Wine

2007 Alexander Laible, Riesling, Deutschland

2008 Oberbergener Babgeige, Grauburgunder Schwarzer Adler, Deutschland

2008 Chardonnay Long Row, Angove, Australien

Red Wine

2001 Chateau Belgrave, Bordeaux

2006 Lemberger S, Wurrtemberg

2006 Cabernet Sauvignon, J Bouchon, Chile

2004 Coto de Imaz, Rioja, Spanien

Cognac

Whiskies

Cocktails and Longdrinks

Beer

Schneider Wheat Beer

Erdinger Wheat Beer

Weihenstephaner Pils

Augustiner Beer

Beck's

Jever

Non alcoholic Beer

Mineral Water

Vittel
Apollinaris

San Pellegrino

Staatlich Fachingen

Perrier

Taunusquelle

Cape Grim Regenwasser

Pineo Water

Voslauer

Plose

Montes

Evian

Valser Water

Candle Light Dinner

Dear Guest,
What about a romantic candle light dinner? Just ask our service team!
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have come to the conclusion that you don't know how to cook.

You spend all your time engineering your work schedule so that you can eat in airline lounges or on planes.

Great report Kiwi. ^
Old Nov 17, 2009, 6:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moomba
I have come to the conclusion that you don't know how to cook.

You spend all your time engineering your work schedule so that you can eat in airline lounges or on planes.

Nah, that is just a byproduct. I just love to travel.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 9:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I had a couple of pre-departure drinks and perused the menu – if I need to eat onboard then I may as well enjoy it. One of my pleasures when flying longhaul first class is the luxury of being able to eat at the time of my choosing and at my own pace – no rushing unless I want to rush. I can always catch up on sleep on my next flight.

Another set of pajamas, slippers and amenity kits were handed out.

I’d worked out that during this flight I will pass 1,000,000 miles of unique flown routes (yes my flight memory map does have a lot of lines on it). This is a consequence of me searching out new routes to fly, wherever it suits my schedules and other constraints. Despite this there are several longhaul routes I’ve flown dozens of times. Here’s to the next million miles of unique routes.

We took off into the night, but would reach daybreak somewhere over the subcontinent so I pulled down the blinds right after take off. As mentioned on the flight over I wasn’t impressed with any of the IFE options but fortunately I had some magazines with me. I am not sure why Lufthansa didn’t stock any magazines for passengers.

I took the full meal option, taking my time to savour the food & beverages, and also had a couple of nightcaps. By the time I was ready to sleep already well over half the flight had elapsed and it was daylight outside. Naturally, with almost no sleep in a week I went to sleep very quickly.

I awoke to the sounds of breakfast being served. I had asked not to be awoken for breakfast but perhaps I awoke of my own accord. Anyway, after the poor offering & service on the Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt I opted for something so simple it could not be messed up – an orange juice.

With some shades now open and afternoon sun blaring in as we flew past peninsula Malaysia there was no chance for a final nap. As usual with Lufthansa, the flight map showed our arrival gate number and connecting flights in the next 90 minutes – there were not many due to the schedule.

We flew past Singapore, turned and landed from the south with great views of the city out my window. We’d had good tailwinds and landed rather early. The taxi was short and we soon pulled into a gate. Unfortunately the Singapore dual airbridges are not designed for long aircraft like the A346, thus only door 2L could be used. Yes that means waiting for business class to disembark before first class could leave.

At the top of the airbridge there were several Singapore Airlines staff with various signs for connecting passengers. There was one with a sign for Australia and New Zealand. I wasn’t sure what to expect – perhaps SQ has finally given buggy transfers between terminals for first class passengers emulating the service offered by some other airlines to their first class passengers (eg Thai at Bangkok)? That is too much to hope for. All the agent wanted was to inform us that we needed to go to terminal 3 for our onward flight (gee I know that already), and that the shortest transfer to the T3 lounge was the T2 E to T3 B skytrain (personally I think using T2 F to T3 A is quicker).
Old Nov 17, 2009, 9:10 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Lufthansa
First Class menu
Munich to Singapore
November 2009

Dreamer's Delight

Use the time on board to get some restful sleep; in the form of our Dreamer's Delight, a select meal served in one course.

Cold Gourmet Plate

Venison Terrine with Goose Liver and Cranberries, Venison Ham Roll filled with Cream Cheese, Wild Mushroom and Red Cabbage Salad, marinated Apple and roasted Pumpkin Seeds

or

Hot Specialty

Ravioli filled with King Prawns in Crustacean Stock

Cheese and Dessert

Cornte, Roquefort and Brie Cheese

Fresh Fruit

Menu

Choice of Hors d’oeuvres

Caviar with the traditional Garnishes

Smoked Tuna filled with Crabmeat on Lime Creme Fraiche with Walnuts

Medium rare Tenderloin of Beef with Apples and Jelly of Tabbouleh and Yogurt

Dialogue of Beetroot and Comte Cheese with Thyme

Salad

Frisee, Radicchio, Chicory and Lamb's Lettuce with Cucumber, Pumpkin and Brown Mushrooms with your Choice of Vinaigrette or Potato Dressing

Choice of Main Courses

We are proud to present our traditional
Roast Goose with Red Cabbage, Potato Dumplings and Herb Crumb Butter
as an Alternative to the Compositions of our Star Chef

Nut crusted Slice of Halibut with Aniseed Beurre Blanc, Leaf Spinach and mashed Pumpkin

Gratin de Legumes d'Anton, Root Vegetable Casserole and Leaf Spinach with Parmesan Sauce

Breast of Veal simmered in Hay with Savoy Cabbage and baked Potatoes

Selection of Cheese and Dessert

Comte, Crottin de Chavignol, Roquefort, Le Coutances and Brie Cheese
garnished with Grapes, Walnuts and Celery

Mashed Figs with Enzian Schnapps Coulis, Curd Cream and Buttermilk Ice Cream

Delicacy of Chocolate with Plum Jelly and Tonka Bean Ice Cream

Specialty Dessert Wines

LH 572,576,790 11/09-12/09

Vinothek

Champagne

“D” de Devaux Brut, Champagne Veuve Devaux, Frankreich
Like so many champagne houses, the house of Devaux, founded in 1846, also has to thank a widow for its success. The widow, Augusta Devaux, made the business a success in the second half of the 19th century, thereby bringing herself into the ranks of the famous champagne widows. This cuvee "D" ties in with the success of the great champagnes. It is a composition whose complex interaction of aromas is reminiscent of elder blossom, orange zest and fine, nutty notes. On the palate the freshness of the chardonnay knits perfectly with the fruit and opulence of the pinot noir. The widow would no doubt be proud to know that her champagne was the winner of the Lufthansa blind tasting.

Aperitif

Campari
A red mild bitters-type cordial.

Sherry "La Guita"
A classic Sherry with fruity flavor and a taste of elegant saltiness, typical of Manzanilla Sherry.

Monthly Proposal

2005 Stellenboch Pinotage, Kanonkop, Sudafrika
Even the name is a little bit of history and comes from a hill where a canon was fired off in the 17th century to warn the local peasants that ships had arrived in Cape Town's harbour. The peasants then loaded up their team of oxen and took their home-grown produce, mostly fresh fruit and vegetables, to Cape Town. The seamen and travellers were grateful recipients. It seems like you can sense the breath of history on this ancient family wine estate in its beautiful location. This is also true in the vineyards where the over 50 year old Pinotage vines were planted in the traditional way as bush vines. This training method ensures optimum exposure to sunlight and the vines require less water. The wine is even made in the ancient traditional way in open vinification tanks, which are broad and flat rather than high and deep so that contact with the grape skins is maximised. The young wine then matures for 16 months in French Nevers oak barriques.
The result is delightful with its deep purple colour and almost black centre. The bouquet is intense, suggesting blackcurrants, ripe plums and juicy blackberries as well as a subtle spiciness from the wood and a powerful mineral streak. On the palate this superb wine shows its powerful character, wonderful length and ripe tannins. This is a wine which exemplifies why cellarmaster Abrie Beeslaar was voted the world's best winemaker in 2008.

White Wine

2008 "Semper Vivum" Riesling Spatlese trocken, Weingut Motzenbacker, Deutschland
The writer, Karl May, was once a guest in the Florentine palace belonging to the Motzenbacker family, and allowed himself to be pampered with their fine rieslings. Today First Class passengers can enjoy one of the wines from this richly traditional wine estate in the Palatinate. The vineyards are in the best sites in the Mittelhaardt and guarantee pure wine pleasure. This dry riesling Spatlese has intense, juicy fruit, touches of ripe apricots, as well as a hint of pineapple and fresh herbs. The palate of this superb wine is characterised by lively acidity counterbalanced with fruity sweetness.

2007 Russian River Valler Chardonnay "Directors Cut", Francis Ford Coppola, USA
Francis Ford Coppola is not just an exceptionally gifted film director but also a passionate winemaker. He has created ideal conditions in Sonoma County for his team with winemaker Cory Beck. This wine is from the perfect 2007 vintage and was vinified in small French oak barrels. The young wine was then matured for 12 months in the barriques, and this has had a profound influence on the wine's character. It shows an effusive array of aromas including vanilla, subtle toasty notes, ripe apple, juicy pear, exotic passion fruit and a touch of pineapple. On the palate the wine combines power, elegance and freshness.

2009 Leyda Vineyard "Limited Selection" Sauvignon Blanc, Montes, Chile
Leyda Valley is the youngest and smallest quality wine-producing region in Chile. The vineyards are near the Pacific coast and the quality of the grapes is thereby influenced by the cool climate with its morning mists and moderate day-time temperatures giving a longer ripening period. This allows top-class wines to be produced. Thanks to careful handling, this sauvignon blanc has retained all the intrinsic fruit of the grapes. With its powerful aromatics, clearly suggestive of ripe mango, passion-fruit, grapefruit and gooseberries as well as citrus notes and a subtle spiciness, this wine is an absolute classic. On the palate the wine has good structure and is well-balanced with a long, persistent finish.

Red Wine

2005 Duoro Reserva, Quinta das Tecedeiras, Portugal
Portugal has some real discoveries to offer. Indigenous grapes, such as tourgia nacional, tinta roriz, tinta barocca, touriga franca and the tinta amarela, some of which are over a hundred years old, dig their roots deep into the slate bedrock in the heart of the Duoro Valley. Port, with its opulent style, used to be made from these grapes, however today outstanding red wines are made, such as this Reserva, which is most pleasing with its intense berry fruit, ripe aromas and juicy character on the palate.

2002 Chateau Belgrave, Cru Classe, Haut-Medoc, Frankreich
This renowned Chateau, situated in Saint Laurent, is one of the oldest wine estates in the region. Its name points to the quality of the soil, as the translation of "Belgrave" means "beautiful pebbles". The famous oenologist Michel Rolland is the consultant here and the wine style combines both classic and modern elements, as can be noted particularly in the bouquet with its ripe fruit aromas and discrete toastiness, as well as the silky tannins and excellent length on the palate.

Dessert Wine

2005 Tokaija Edes Late Harvest, Oremus, Ungarn
The wines from Tokaj are legendary: Catherine the Great had a wine board of thirty people to secure the best wines for her; it helped Beethoven whilst he was composing and Voltaire let himslef be inspired by it. The grapes, which succumb to noble rot very easily, thrive on the volcanic soils and in the Pannonian climate in the eastern part of Hungary. The result is wine of great concentration and depth, such as this wine from the top wine estate, Oremus. This Tokaj has most appealing aromatics with touches of honey, pear, apricot, candied lemon peel and gentle spices and its opulence is tamed by elegant acidity.

Monthly Proposal

Etter Weihnactspflumli, Schweiz
People throughout history have always like to enjoy themselves. Spiced wine was all the rage in the late middle ages, as back then spice specialties from Asia cost a fortune and a host was judged by the amount of spices proffered, not by how they tasted. Switzerland was no exception to this and therefore spiced wines such as the red "Hypocras", aromatic liqueurs or spicy pepper cake were offered to guests, especially at Christmas. Old recipes from the rich patrician houses show that food and beverages were often so "peppered" that they were no pleasure at all to eat or drink. The amount of spices used was often far too much as a means of showing off an individual's wealth under the premise "more is more". However, when used in the right doses, spices at Christmas time can be a true delight. The best example of this is the Christmas plum liqueur from Etter. This liqueur picks up on the tradition of producing finely spiced specialties. The basis for this liqueur, produced especially for the festive season, is the pure fruit brandy, "Lohrpflumli". The juice of the Lohr plum, together with a secret mixture of Christmassy spices such as cinnamon, coriander and cloves, gives this superb plum brandy a fruity taste, which combines perfectly with gentle hints of spice. Highly enjoyable, this brandy manages to unite an old tradition with modern times.

Spirits

Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey Old No 7
Amber colored Whiskey with distinctive caramel, vanilla and almond notes and a touch of fruity impressions.

Johnnie Walker Blue Label
Superior brand with an intense, opulent aroma and the typical peaty character.

Bushmills Malt 10 Years Old
This is a whiskey with soft notes of vanilla, a fine malty character and restrained honeyed sweetness.

Smirnoff Red Vodka
Triple-distilled and filtered ten times for exceptional smoothness and purity.

Bombay Sapphire Distilled London Dry Gin
Predominant juniper notes, balanced with impression of lemon peel and coriander.

Cognac Lhéraud Cuvée 30
A fine and mature cognac from an exceptional distiller.

Calvados Pays d’Auge AC, Daron
The long maturation process in oak barrels brings out crisp and sweet aromas of apple, pear and vanilla.

Fernet Branca
An aromatic blend of about 40 herbs and spices.

Tequila
Exclusively on flights to and from Mexico.

Walcher Williams Exclusiv
A juicy and very fruity poire Williams with long-lasting flavour and a very typical finish.

Etter Zuger Kirsch, 42 Vol %, Jahrgang 2005
Made from the Swiss “Lauerz” cherries, full-bodied, aromatic and refined.

Liqueur and Port

Baileys Irish Cream
A delicious cream liqueur made entirely in Ireland from a combination of dairy cream, Irish Whiskey and the smooth flavour of chocolate and vanilla.

Niepoort Portwein
An intensive, young and powerful port with a decent fruit flavour.

Cold Beverages

Mineral water
Apollinaris, sparkling natural mineral water
Elisabethenquelle, natural mineral water

Fruit juices
Apple Juice
Tomato Juice
Orange Juice

Soft Drinks
Coca-Cola, Coca-Cola light, Sprite
Kinley Tonic Water, Kinley Bitter Lemon, Kinley Ginger Ale

German Beer
Warsteiner Premium Verum
Warsteiner Premium alkoholfrei
Erdinger Weißbier

Hot Beverages

Jacobs Kaffee
Royal Diplomat 100% Arabica Coffee from the Highlands

Nespreso Espresso und Cappuccino, 3 Grands Crus des Kaffees
Ristetto : A short, full-bodied and intense Espresso with a pleasantly lingering taste.
Volluto : A lightly roasted blend with a subtle, yet present body and hints of biscuit, redolent of cereal, enhanced by a touch of acidity and a fresh and light fruitiness.
Decaffeinato Intenso : The intense pronounced flavor with a touch of sourness gives this decaffeinated coffee the potency of genuine espresso.

Masala Tee
Exclusively on flights to and from India

Eilles Teespezialitäten

Assam Special Broken
This robust elegant tea, harvested at the Brahmaputra River plantations in Northern India, is copper-red in color with a rich and malty aroma. Milk or cream and sugar are worthly accompaniments.

Earl Grey Premium Blatt
A blend of Darjeeling, Ceylon and Chinese teas enhanced by aromatic oil from the finest bergamot fruit. A classic, copper-red in the cup, especially enjoyable with pastries and cake.

Yogi Tee Black Chai Bio
An originally ayurvedic blend of spiced teas with black tea and exotic condiments such as cinnamon, aniseed, ginger, black pepper and clove - all ingredients have been produced organically. A little drop of milk and a spoonful of sugar turn it into an original chai treat.

Grüntee Asia Superior Blatt
Grown in fertile Central Asia, this unfermented tea is bright yellow in color with a pleasant, gentle aroma and sweet yet tart notes. Traditionally enjoyed plain.

Vita Orange
A crisp and refreshing combination of hibiscus flowers, apples, orange and lemon zest, cinnamon and orange flavour as well as ten revitalizing vitamins.

Rooibos Winterpunsch
South African Rooibos tea with a combination of ginger, apple, coconut, cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper, almonds and the excquisit aroma of toasted almonds.

11/12-2009

Breakfast

Entrees

Freshly squeezed Orange Juice

Fresh Fruit

Granola with Apple and Almond, Yogurt, Frosties and Milk

Emmental, Cream Cheese with Herbs, Yogurt Cheese

Turkey Ham, Serrano Ham, Farmer's Roast Tyrolean Style

Fried King Prawns and Graved Salmon

Scrambled Eggs freshly prepared upon your Request with your Choice of Bacon or Chives

LH 572,576,790 11/09-12/09
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:26 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

SINGAPORE and my first visit to The Private Room

Although I had a few hours before I needed to board I hurried across to the lounge, for I had a lot of work and messages to catch up on after a week with limited internet access. On arrival at the lounge reception I presented my boarding pass for entry and was whisked away into the first class lounge and onward into the lounge within a lounge that is The Private Room.

Until earlier this year there was only way one to get into The Private Room – by flying paid first class on Singapore Airlines. Upgrades and awards on Singapore Airlines, or paid first class travel on other airlines (such as Lufthansa), or top elite status with Singapore Airlines, were simply not good enough to get access. Earlier this year the rules were relaxed slightly to allow all first class passengers on Singapore Airlines to use The Private Room (TPR).

Thus, this was my first visit. I didn’t have high expectations having been told by friends it was more of the same as the first class lounge (more widely accessible bit). There are bathrooms inside TPR, with showers also. A separate dining area. Food and drinks are identical. A minor difference is service at your seat, but in my experience you can get that also in the first class lounge even if it isn’t an official part of the lounge experience. I found this service was spotty – sometimes I got asked if I wanted another drink or something to eat and other times I was ignored and needed to track down a staff member for service.

I had a light, err late brunch I suppose (what do you call the first meal of the day when it is about 6pm local time?), to satisfy my hunger pangs while leaving plenty of room for the sumptuous meal onboard the next flight. It also doubled as research (haha) for this report.

It was very quiet at this time of day, but then so was the main first class lounge. There really isn’t much to differentiate the lounge, which makes the entry rules all the more bizarre. I am certainly not the first person to say this.

I was fairly tired but a good shower, a few pick-me-up drinks, a light snack and head down getting stuck into work refreshed me no end. Time flew by and all too soon it was time to head for my gate for a flight I was really looking forward to.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:29 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Singapore Airlines
First Class menu
The Private Room, inside Singapore First Class Lounge
November 2009

Choice of soup

Cream of Asparagus

Sweet Corn with Pork Ribs

Baked Lobster with 3 cheeses
(Gruyere, Emmenthal, Cheddar)
Boston Lobster served with fresh chives, asparagus, fresh baby carrot

U.S. Prime Beef Burger with Foie Gras, Rocket Leaf and Fried Quail Egg
Homemade juicy burger in a sesame seed bun

Baked Cod Fish with Green pea and Tomato Mango Coulis
Pan roasted cod fish fillet with mashed green peas
mango and tomato confit

Korean Ginseng Chicken
Ginseng chicken served with Japanese steamed rice,
Korean kimchi, Korean chilli paste

Capellini with Wild Mushroom Ragout and Truffle Oil
Angel hair pasta tossed with olve oil and mushroom ragu

Chicken Satay
A local favourite. Barbequed skewered meat served with ketupat (rice cube) and chunky peanut gravy

Shanghainese Xiao Long Bao
Shanghai Pork Dumpling served with vinegar and young ginger
(preparation time - 12 mins)

Dim Sum Delights
With your choice of tea to go along:
Jasmine, Oolong, Pu Er, Chrysanthemum, Green, Fresh Mint Leaf Tea

Wanton Mee
Wanton mee served with prawn dumpling and Hong Kong Chye Sim
Dry or soup

Chef Station Special
Duck Leg Confit
Classic duck leg served with fried egg noodle, zucchini, carrot julienne and onion Jam

Chinese Rojak
White turnip, cucumber, pineapple, tau po, cruellers
red Jambu, green mango, mixed with prawn paste and groundpeanut

Selection of Fine Ice Cream

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.