FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 5 Boeings Straight to the Airbus Do - FTer feasts in first, business & economy
Old Nov 15, 2009, 6:43 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
FRANKFURT arrival

The organisers had arranged for our exclusive use of the, fairly new, Tower Lounge. Picture this if you will – over 200 hungry, thirsty and excited FTers swarming from the gate to immigration and up on to the lounge. Yes Tower Lounge is in the non-schengen zone of the terminal and thus we would all need to clear immigration twice in order to enjoy the festivities.

I still had my carry-on, and being desperately tired, wouldn’t have minded heading to the hotel and having a shower before coming back. Of course that isn’t possible so I joined in the fun.

The Tower Lounge is quite nice with great views, perhaps the best of the Frankfurt lounges (other than First Class Terminal and First Class Lounges).

Inside I grabbed a drink, and dropped off some gifts I’d brought with me. Then I had some interviews. By the time that was done we were packing up, for we had to clear immigration before it shuts at 2330. The food was gone, and I’d had none. Oh well at least there was still some drink left.

Immigration was kept open a bit later than normal that night. Oops. When I made it to the Sheraton I checked in. There was a small delay while they linked my reservations (I’d made separate ones for each night as I had changed my plans over time) and found a suitable room for me. I had a choice of an okay room that was fairly close, or a nicer one that was distant. I chose the close room. The view was crap, but hey I really only needed a bed and a shower.

Originally I was going to stay at some PC properties as I'd found some great rates with bonus miles, and with hotel switching I'd get another 2 stays (important for the stay x and other promos). However once the schedule became clearer I cancelled those stays because I didn't fancy shuttling back and forth by cabs in the wee hours of the morning, nor having the inconvenience of dumping my carry-on in someone's room for the Friday while I was in between hotels. While I miss the copious PC points (I would have netted at least 30k across the 2 nights), I'm glad I stayed at the Sheraton for the convenience.

Once I’d dropped off bags and had a shower I then enjoyed some chat and quiet drinks at various spots around the Sheraton with other FTers well into the morning.