Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Premium Flying Across the Ditch (Between New Zealand and Australia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Flying Across the Ditch (Between New Zealand and Australia)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2009, 2:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
QF C 737 breakfast | Auckland to Melbourne (Qantas Jetconnect business class on 737, early morning flight)

Wake up to my alarm at 0330. Ugggh. I so want to sleep a bit more but now is not the time for that. I've had so many early morning flights that I act on autopilot and 30 minutes later I've showered, dressed and packed, and on my way out of the door. I decide I do have enough time to catch the airbus today instead of a cab so make my way to the bus stop, passing the flocks of drunken teens still partying along the way.

The early airbus is, as usual, running late and ends up being very full. There are lots of early flights from Auckland and this first bus is in high demand which makes for a slower trip. From 1 November the airbus will operate 24/7 (the timetable has not yet released but I'd expect only every hour or every 2 hours in the early hours of the morning). This is a plus for me. Not only will the 0430 bus run quicker, but I'll be able to catch the bus for the earlier LAN flights as well as late evening arrivals, both of which currently require a taxi (if using public transport).

Pre-flight

It was after 0530 by the time we reached the terminal. The premium check-in lobby was quiet. This was the sweet spot between the initial queues for checking in the first couple of flights, and the queues for checking in the later flights. I got all 4 boarding passes. For the first time I recall flying Qantas my carry-on was weighed but it passed as I was travelling light.

Immigration cleared in the lobby then upstairs. The ongoing construction required walking through the foodcourt to get to immigration. The pre-cleared line was empty but the main lines had large queues so there was a brief wait for the passport & boarding pass check.

The line at x-ray was short and I managed again to avoid the random explosives check. On the way to the lounge I stopped at the smartgate to start the Australian immigration processing. This saves time later.

I was welcomed back to the lounge. There was just enough time to check email and send a couple of messages before a final boarding call was made at 0550. Typically the call is made well into boarding so you do not face a queue. With people generally not taking a lot of carry ons, there is usually no problem with overhead bin space and the system works well. I'd much rather spend a few more minutes in the lounge than seated onboard.

Onboard

These shorthaul aircraft have old style business class seating, not too dissimilar to domestic first class in USA.

One of the crew used to work on the domestic flights in New Zealand so we had a brief chat. I had a pre-departure water (orange juice and champagne are the other options). A menu was handed out and I was asked if I wanted a personal DVD player or a newspaper. I declined the DVD player as I intended to sleep most of the flight.

I was asleep by the time we took off. Unfortunately for me the sleep was not to last. We had turbulence the entire way and while I usually can sleep through it for some reason today I couldn't.

I ended up reading some papers and doing some work. There were strong headwinds and our flight time was a rather long 4 hours 40 minutes, so we arrived rather late.

Post-flight

We had a gate very close to immigration. Having done the first step of smartgate I was first to reach the second stage. Quickly through. Power walking past baggage claim, I managed to catch the eye of a roving customs officer and got the green stamp enabling bypass of x-ray. So within a couple of minutes of reaching the gate I was landside.

It is great when the system works well like today.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 22, 2009 at 2:47 pm
Old Sep 22, 2009, 2:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

menu | QF C 737 breakfast | Auckland to Melbourne (Qantas Jetconnect business class on 737, early morning flight)

Breakfast

Orange Juice

Seasonal Fresh Fruit Juice

Your choice of:

Continental Breakfast

Fresh Seasonal Fruit

Yoghurt

Martin Borough Muesli

or

Cereal Selection

Warm Bakery

or

Hot Breakfast

Fresh Seasonal Fruit

Cheddar Cheese and Spinach Omelette served with Grilled Sausage, Roasted Tomato and Baby Spinach

or

Lemon Curd Hot Cakes accompanied with Berry Compote

Warm Bakery

Beverages

Champagne

Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve

Australian and New Zealand Wine

For your enjoyment we have a selection of light and full bodied, premium white and red wines onboard today. Your Flight Attendant will advise you on the selection.

Aperitifs

Campari

Spirits

Bacardi White Rum

Chivas Regal 12yo Scotch Whisky

Inner Circle (Green Dot) Dark Rum 57.2%

Plymouth The Smooth English Gin

The Glenlivet 12yo Malt Scotch Whisky

Wild Turkey 86.8º Bourbon

Wyborowa Classic Vodka

Beers

Hahn Premium Light

Heineken

James Squire Golden Ale

Victoria Bitter

Non Alcoholic

Apple Juice

Orange Juice

Spicy Tomato Juice

Tomato Juice

Sparkling Mineral Water

Still Mineral Water

Soda Water

Tonic Water

Bundaberg Ginger Beer

Cola

Diet Cola

Ginger Ale

Lemonade

Solo – Lemon Squash

Hot Beverages

Grinders Coffee
Bodum
Decaffeinated

Dilmah Tea
Chamomile
English Breakfast
Jasmine Green
Peppermint

Hot Chocolate

Liqueurs

Bailey’s Irish Cream

Cointreau

Fortifieds

Penfolds Bluestone 10yo Tawny

Baileys of Glenrowan Liqueur Muscat

Australian Dessert Wine

Cognac

Martell VSOP

J_TAS_BF_5_NZ-AUS_WIN09
Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

QF C 737 dinner | Melbourne to Auckland (Qantas Jetconnect business class on 737, evening flight)

My connecting flight was late and so I hurried up to departures for I wanted a bite to eat in the lounge. There weren't many international departures at this time so I didn't bother making a detour to the first class check in desk to pick up an express immigration card. It is annoying since Qantas changed to hand out both arrivals and departures express cards ex-Australia as those flying ex-NZ miss out.

Coming into the immigration area the bouncer sent the person in front of me back to check in to check his carry-on. I flashed my business class boarding pass and was allowed to proceed. There was no queue ^ but the officer stamped a rare blank page in my passport despite my request to not do this. This soured my mood immediately. The passport is only 2 years old yet almost all 48 pages are fill - the blank pages for visas are like gold. Unlike US passports we cannot add pages to ours (supposedly due to US insistence, which particularly rankles) so I will be getting another one soon.

Anyway I was quickly through security and the duty free shop we all must walk through. On the way to the lounge I remonstrated with myself for letting it get to me - tiredness isn't an excuse for allowing oneself to be grumpy.

Up another level at the end of the pier and I'm welcomed back to the first class lounge. I quickly see to some messages and finish off a bit of work before diving into a shower to freshen up. When I'm done there is about 40 minutes to departure. Yes, there is still enough time for a couple of drinks and a quick bite.

When the Melbourne and Sydney first class lounges opened following renovations a few years ago I used to eat soon after arrival. However I found the service speed in the sit-down restaurant area was proportional to time until boarding. Since I'm generally in a hurry (want to shower, work, etc), I now try to time the eating until closer to departure. It has made a big difference.

For a trip like tonight, it also serves a useful purpose. Eat here then sleep onboard during the fairly short flight.

... to be continued ...
Old Sep 23, 2009, 3:01 am

Programs: QFF AA
EK413 AKL to SYD

Thanks for the great report. My husband and I did this trip late August and found the trip as you described. I was hoping to have a nice dinner as a couple but my husband only got his starter like you and then was forgotten by his FA. I told my FA when she brought my dessert that hubby had not had his main course yet. She went to find out what had happened and came back with his meal and said he had been crossed off the list as having finished dinner. I was not offered any wine with dinner but hubby was. Should have asked for some I suppose, she did refill the bubbly glass once. Not offered any cheese, fruit or port to finish. I also found the tray table very tight fitting with no room to move when it was in place. There is no way a pregnant woman or pot belly would fit behind the table. The couple seating in the centre row is great for two travelling together. I really enjoyed the lounge in Auckland, great choice of food and cold bubbly. Flight on the
A380 was very smooth and the tail camera was an added bonus. We managed to get very cheap fares for the flight but would not pay full J class for the service offered.
maggies1
Old Sep 23, 2009, 3:22 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
[ On the way to the lounge I remonstrated with myself for letting it get to me - tiredness isn't an excuse for allowing oneself to be grumpy.
Enjoying your report Kiwi Flyer

It is funny how things can really get that head speak all riled up yet in the bigger scheme of things are nothing really. I do the same; but a glass of champagne later in the lounge and everything is right with the world again.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Nice report K/F.

It's interesting how one adapts to different situations - like lounges.

The QF MEL and SYD lounges are right up there with the best, but nuances, like ordering closer to boarding can optimise time spent in the lounge.

Wait a minute, what was that? Ordering meals? In an Airline lounge?

Personally, I try to allow at least two hours in these places before boarding is scheduled to commence.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moomba
Enjoying your report Kiwi Flyer

It is funny how things can really get that head speak all riled up yet in the bigger scheme of things are nothing really. I do the same; but a glass of champagne later in the lounge and everything is right with the world again.
Exactly. I'm so fortunate to live the life I do that I really shouldn't let things get to me.

I did have a glass of bubbles before switching to a very nice sauvignon blanc. When I first asked for a glass of SB I was told there was none but they managed to find half a bottle. By the time I left there was none

Originally Posted by serfty
Nice report K/F.

It's interesting how one adapts to different situations - like lounges.

The QF MEL and SYD lounges are right up there with the best, but nuances, like ordering closer to boarding can optimise time spent in the lounge.

Wait a minute, what was that? Ordering meals? In an Airline lounge?

Personally, I try to allow at least two hours in these places before boarding is scheduled to commence.
When I first took my seat in the lounge, before the shower, I was asked if I wanted to eat. I indicated then that I would with a rough time so they were ready for me.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 1:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

menu | QF F lounge | Melbourne

Specials

Available from midday

Soup of the Day

Curry Pumpkin with Coconut

Plates of the Day

Sicilian Style Baby Snapper Fillet with Raisin, Pine Nut and Celery Dressing

Sumac Lamb Braise With Herb Cous Cous

Terrine of Rabbit And Quail With Citrus and Watercress Salad

Ice Cream and Sorbet Selection

Fig Ice Cream

Rhubarb Ice Cream

Orange and Cardamom Ice Cream

French Plum and Almond Ice Cream

Wines of the Day

Leeuwin Estate Riesling 2007 - Margaret River, WA

Kilikanoon Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 - Clare Valley, SA

Scarborough Semillon 2007 - Hunter Valley, NSW

Scarborough Chardonnay Yellow Label 2005 - Hunter Valley, NSW

Reschke Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 - Coonawarra, SA

Lunch and Dinner

Available from midday

Daily Soup

Petuna Smoked Ocean Trout with Fennel Remoulade and Crostini

Toasted Sourdough with Roasted Pumpkin, Marinated Feta, Sage and Brown Butter

Caesar Style Salad with Crisp Prosciutto and Poached Organic Egg

Chilli Salt Squid

Thai Red Curry of Duck with Fragrant Rice

Hand Cut Saffron Pasta with Prawns, Mussles and Roast Tomato Sauce

Pork and Truffle Sausages with Chive Mash and Green Apple Chutney

Rangers Valley 300 day grain fed beef, Minute Style with Chips and Harissa

Warm Zucchini, Basil and Parmesan Frittata

Our Signature Sandwiches

Club with Free Range Chicken, Slow Roasted Tomatoes, Schulz Bacon and Aioli

Wagyu Burger with Schulz Bacon, Gruyere, Zuni Pickle and Tomato Chilli Relish

Side Dishes

To complement your meal

Bowl of Chips

Wild Rocket and Parmesan Salad

Our Signature Mixed Leaf Salad

Steamed Greens with Colonna Lemon Oil

Cheese and Dessert

Seasonal Fruit Plate

Baked Caramel, Yoghurt and Mascarpone Cheesecake with Citrus in Syrup

Warm Sticky Toffee Pudding with Double Cream

Selection of Ice Creams and Sorbets

Cheese Hand Selected by Calendar Cheese Company
Brique D'affinois, Cashel Blue and Queso Iberico with Accompaniments

Wine List

White Wine

Carlei Green Vineyard, Pinot Gris 2008, Cardina Ranges, Victoria
Cardina Ranges provide superlative geographical condition for Pinot Gris to play its part at best to craft this beautifully structured wine. Delicate pink in the glass this complex wine has delicious aromas of mineral, pear, citrus and spices. A well balanced palate of pear and lime flavours with a sensuous sweetness of ripe summer stone fruits ending in brilliant crisp acidity leaving you with wonderful length and mouth feel.

Mitchell Watervale, Riesling 2006, Clare Valley, South Australia
Forty year old wines grown in the pristine Clare Valleys Terra Rossa underlined by Limestone provide perfect soil structure to produce this remarkable Riesling. Fresh cut grass on the nose heavily influenced by its spontaneous fermentation. This palate is quite full, rich and textured with a quite a little bite on the finish.

Satellite, Sauvignon Blanc 2008, Marlborough, New Zealand
Brought to us by Spy Valley Vineyards, you will not find this label anywhere else. Sensual and golden in the glass with extravagance aromas of passion, mango, lychee and exotic rambutan. Having rested on lees for a short time during fermentation the pallet has a warm viciousness that carries more passion fruit, melon and fabulous tropical fruits.

Torbreck, Woodcutters Semillon 2007, Barossa Valley, South Australia
Produced from old growth Semillon vines in the Barossa. This wine is rich and smoky with a fat texture, full of tropical fruits both on the nose and palate and an ice long finish. This wine is a wonderful match to salmon or poultry.

Scarborough, 2007 Blue Label Chardonnay, Hunter Valley, New South Wales
Grown in Australian Terra Rossa soil these Chardonnay grapes are harvested at the peak of their maturity and fermented new French oak and given two Malo-Lactic fermentation runs. Blended in the barrel on lees for a minimum of twelve months this wine pours with a delicious golden straw colour. The nose is an inviting melody of tropical fruits, melon and toasty characteristics. The palate is long and sensuous with aftertastes of cashews, honey and green melon.

Champagne

Veuve Cliquot Ponsardin, a well loved wine for its crisp full flavours. Its complex nose of apple, citrus and caramel is followed by full flavours of pure elegance, crispness and a slightly spicy finish.

Taittinger Brut Reserve, predominately driven by Rheims Chardonnay's expressive nature, nose with both white fruits and bready notes and a hint of vanilla pod. On the palate, subtle zests of white fruits marry with white flowers with a touch of honey. This wine is elegantly crafted for perfection.

Devaux Blanc de Noir, from the Bar Sur Seine appelation of the Champagne Valley in France. Initially round and fruity, the freshness and liveliness of this dry champagne develop to give a unique and sensual wine.

Red Wine

Yering Station, Pinot Noir 2006, Yarra Valley, Victoria
Traditional stomping is an age-old technique still employed at Yering Station for its uniquely gentle extraction of juice and flavour. This lively young pinot marries vibrant raspberry, cherry and plum-like fruit with restrained cedar/vanilla oak and sliky, sappy tannin. There's a hint of stewed fruit, but plenty of confectionary brightness and a structured, savoury finish.

Parker, Coonawarra Estate Merlot 2005, Coonawarra, South Australia
Stunning deep purple hues with a nose of cassis, liquorice and wispy hints of smoked oak. A deep intense palate of rich cassis and blackberries and mineral overtones. This Merlot is well balanced by its acidity and long, lingering finish of sued like tannins.

Torbreck, "Woodcutters Red" Shiraz 2007, Barossa, South Australia
Hand picked and aged in old founders giving this shiraz a juicy sharpness like no other. Dazzlingly red with a seductive black core the nose is full of ripe stone fruits with black cherries and raspberry with just a hint of spice. All this fruit continues onto the palate with that black core reminding you its there with a light liquorish tone. A rather sweet fruit but a nice dry finish. Simply a good shiraz. Enjoy!

Bests, Great Western Shiraz 2006, Salvation Hills, Victoria
Well defined medium bodied wine black fruits are supported by a fine web of sliky tannins. Picked from Shiraz vines planted in 1999 this is truly an exemplary wine. With Shiraz's peppery and spicy notes this wine has a hint of berry sweetness bouquet on the nose. The palate carries dark chocolate with black olives and more of the peppery taste. Fantastic fine long tannins give this Shiraz a superb finish. Enjoy while eating some thing bold.

Chapel Hill, Cabernet Sauvignon 2006, McLaren Vale, South Australia
Wonderfully perfumed with ripe, rich berries, vanilla charred oak and hint of Chestnut. Sweet blackcurrant, black berry and rich dark chocolate across the palate finishing with delightful savoury notes. Aged Oak and tannins adds a divine character that underpinned luscious primary berry flavours.

Dessert Wine

De Bortoli, Noble One 2006, Riverina, New South Wales
The creation of this Sauternes style wine by Darren de Bortoli in 1982 has been regarded as Australia’s benchmark dessert wine. The botrytis flavours of this wine combine peach, nectarine citrus and almond characters to create a luscious well balanced wine to be enjoyed with dessert or a fine blue cheese.

Beverage List

Aperitifs

Campari, Cinzano Bianco, Noilly Prat

Spirits

Glenlivet 18yo Malt Whiskey
Chivas Regal 12yo Scotch Whiskey
Johnnie Walker Black Label
Bombay Sapphire Dry London Gin
Tanqueray Gin
Wyborowa Single Estate Vodka
Bellvedere Vodka
Bacardi White Rum
Bundaberg Dark Rum
Wild Turkey Bourbon
Jack Daniels Bourbon
Cuervo Tequila

Beers

Cascade Light, Cascade, Coopers Pale Ale, Crown Lager,
James Boags, James Squire Amber Ale, Heineken

Digestives, Liqueurs and Ports

Bailey’s Irish Cream
Cointreau
Drambuie
Tia Maria
St Agnes 5yo Brandy
Martell Biscuit VSOP
Grant Burge 20yo Tawny
Morris Liqueur Tawny
Morris Liqueur Muscat
Morris Liqueur Tokay
Harvey’s Bristol Cream Sherry

Non Alcoholic

Range of freshly squeezed Juices
Orange Juice, Apple Juice, Grapefruit Juice, Pineapple Juice, Tomato Juice
San Pellegrino Acqua Panna Natural Mineral Water
San Pellegrino Sparkling Mineral Water
San Pellegrino Chinotto, San Pellegrino Limonata, San Pellegrino Aranciata Rossa
Ginger Ale, Lemonade, Lemon Squash, Cola, Diet Cola

Hot Beverages

Coffee

Espresso coffees use the premium Giancarlo blend from Grinders Coffee

Espresso, Long Black
Café Latte
Flat White
Cappuccino, Mocha
Decaffeinated,
Liqueur Coffee
Chai Latte
Hot Chocolate

Tea

A selection of teas brought to you by T2 from some of the finest tea plantations in the world.

Peppermint
Great as a pick me up after a long haul flight, lush peppermint leaves create a refreshing infusion, drink hot or cold. A well rounded flavour captures the sweet essence of all things “minty” with a sweet, cool lingering aroma.

Lemongrass and Ginger
Whether you’re off to the Far East or not enjoy this zesty and bright brew, lemongrass contrasts the spicy flavour of ginger to create a refreshing and wild taste sensation.

English Breakfast
A blend of the finest Sri Lankan full bodied teas produce a rich and well rounded flavour. Great for all day drinking whether you’re coming or going!

Earl Grey
Earl Grey is made of Sri Lankan black teas combined with the citrus delights of Bergamot, generating an elegant and balanced full flavoured cup. An afternoon tea essential, so sit back and enjoy the flight.

China Jasmine
A smooth green tea naturally scented with Jasmine buds. A delightful aroma and light taste. Close your eyes and it will be as if you’ve arrived at your destination.

Chamomile
Relax and unwind with this fragrant infusion of sweet golden chamomile flowers. A delicious calming start to your flight or before you doze off on your way to Paradise.

Chai
Even if you’re not off to somewhere exotic enjoy this blend of spices to conjure up the steamy aromatic delights of an Indian market. A black tea base with spicy sprinkles of cinnamon, cardamom, clove and star anise.

Sencha
A classic green tea to be enjoyed through out the day. These beautiful emerald green leaves produce a delicate.

Children's Menu

Available until midday

Seasonal Fruit Salad

Selection of Cereals
House Toasted Muesli, Corn Flakes, Weet-Bix, Coco Pops

Sweet Yoghurt with Mango and Raspberry

Pancakes with Banana, Whipped Butter and Maple Syrup

Ham and Cheese Omelette

All Day

Available from midday

Chicken and Mayonnaise Sandwich

Tagliatelle with Roast Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella

Hamburger with Hot Chips

Bowl of Hot Chips with Tomato Sauce

Dessert

Banana Split

Assorted Ice Creams and Sorbets

Beverages

Orange Juice, Apple Juice, Tomato Juice, Pineapple Juice,
Cola, Diet Cola, Lemonade, Lemon Squash
Hot Chocolate and Baby Chino

[NB this printed menu has typos.]
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
... When I first took my seat in the lounge, before the shower, I was asked if I wanted to eat. I indicated then that I would with a rough time so they were ready for me.
I do similar - have used the MEL or SYD F lounges more than 30 times since they opened in '07. One learns these little optimisation techniques ...
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:33 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
As usual, a wonderful TR. Thanks for taking the time to write it up and post it for us. Looknig forward to my first NZ/AU trip next year
Old Sep 24, 2009, 2:04 am

Programs: NZ Koru
What is the policy in Aussie for stamping NZ passports, they seem to stamp any where they feel like.

Are there no e-gates in MEL yet?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
What is the policy in Aussie for stamping NZ passports, they seem to stamp any where they feel like.

Depends on the officer - but generally they do like to find a blank page. I usually ask to be stamped on a used page.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 3:52 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by cavemanzk

e-gates are in MEL.
Nice that we Australians do not get any stamps when we do the TT.
Of course I do not travel as much as Kiwi Flyer so I do not share his problems.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 8:30 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
e-gates are in MEL.
Nice that we Australians do not get any stamps when we do the TT.
Of course I do not travel as much as Kiwi Flyer so I do not share his problems.
Luck they don't stamp our kiwi passports in NZ. Other wise we would need new passports very fast.

Say your passport is 45pages @ $3.50 each
Old Sep 25, 2009, 1:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

QF C 737 dinner | Melbourne to Auckland (Qantas Jetconnect business class on 737, evening flight)

... to be continued ...

I left the previous post in the lounge. The boarding call was made fairly late just 10 minutes before scheduled departure. I said goodbye and made my way down to the deserted gate.

Onboard

I'm met by another friendly face of someone who used to fly domestic in New Zealand. I soon see why boarding was called so late. We have just 22 passengers tonight - 2 in business class and 20 scattered through the economy cabin.

The doors are closed behind me. A pre-departure drink is offered. The usual choice of water, juice or bubbles. The safety briefing is done while we push back and taxi out, followed by a rush to collect glasses and do final checks.

The quick getaway and the strong tailwinds promise a very early arrival into Auckland. Normally for the evening flight this is a good thing. But tonight I'm staying at the airport for an early flight out next morning, which means little sleep on the ground. Thus I'm selfishly hoping for delays and longer flight time to sleep a bit more onboard.

After take-off the crew are quick to come around with some more drinks (okay just one or two as a nightcap), some nuts or olives (no thanks), take meal orders (no thanks), check if we want a DVD player (no thanks).

The turbulence of the morning is still present, although it is a bit less noticeable as a tail wind than as a head wind. I close my eyes and see in my mind the aircraft as a speedboat racing across choppy seas. I dozed a little but did not get much sleep. 90 minutes into the flight I'm woken as the crew prepares for landing.

Post-flight

We get the end gate on pier B, thus a long walk to immigration. Glancing at the arrivals monitor I see all the trans-Tasman flights tonight are either early or very early. I get some duty free on the way through the store. I've noticed in the past year the duty free prices at Auckland are getting very ordinary. For the kinds of things I buy, you have to be lucky to spot anything materially cheaper than say duty free in Australia or non-duty free in New Zealand.

The immigration queue was long but fast moving. At this time of night most arriving international passengers are Kiwis and Aussies, except for the Singapore and odd Pacific Island flights.

I walk through the packed baggage hall. The layout annoys me somewhat because those with no checked bags have to traverse the entire length of baggage claim past hordes of people to reach customs. At most international terminals elsewhere you cross baggage claim by the width not the length.

Another long queue at customs but I bypass most of it using my trick. The main entrance to customs has 3 lines which run along a short distance before doubling back to the left behind a wall. Almost everyone picks the left hand lane. I pick the middle lane which has only a modest queue this time (sometimes it has none), plus I also get more customs officers available (in that the right hand lane is also often empty) to speed through. The trick works again, saving me about 15 minutes.

X-ray queues are also long, but I've been through here so many times I can easily tell which one will move the fastest and pick that one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.