Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Premium Flying Across the Ditch (Between New Zealand and Australia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Flying Across the Ditch (Between New Zealand and Australia)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:43 am

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Top Trip Report,KiwiFlyer, as always.

What a thoroughly medicore experience you had all around.

You must have flown SYD AKL on a Sunday as NZ700 doesn't fly Sundays - hence Immigration and DF was closed.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:59 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Wow talk about chalk and cheese flight experiences. Nice report Kiwi Flyer.

Didn't your driver in SYD know the flight was delayed?

I am looking forward to the next carrier in this experiment.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 2:28 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Good report, well done.

Its funny how some people always get picked on in Aussie, I never get the XRAY Que always the "Domestic Exit". Feels weird walking out of a Airport like that, MAF have trained us that arrivals are so strict.

Two sundays ago I took NZ119 we landed just after 1pm did the 15min taxi from the short runway. I was a the travel lodge on Philips street at 1.50pm. Give me SYD over AKL anyday.

I keep hearing alot of mixed reviews about EK on the tasman.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Its funny how some people always get picked on in Aussie, I never get the XRAY Que always the "Domestic Exit". Feels weird walking out of a Airport like that, MAF have trained us that arrivals are so strict.
I've been through SYD I arrivals numerous times now and for most part customs are straightforward and easy to deal with. I always have something to declare, but even then they're good people to interact with. A couple of times I've been "prescreened" and let through.

My first time into AKL (or New Zealand for that matter) I got benched and of course got cleared of any wrongdoing (although the person assigned to inspect me at the time probably really wanted to do me in). Subsequent times, though, have only been x-rays (even though, yes - once again, I had items to declare). Really weird, and on travelling to AKL I still always prepare for the worst treatment.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:49 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
How to keep your headset!!!

Flew SYD CHC SYD last week on EK in Y.

The outbound flight was not very full, the crew were very switched on, offered me the choice of moving before the flight left to a empty row which I did.

When they came around to collect the headsets, I asked if I had to hand it back in so early, no you can listen for as long as you want Sir was the response I got.

The return flight only had a few spare seats on Y, and when they collected the headsets I just avoided the eye contact, the FA passed by and I then noticed a few other people who looked like frequent flyers still had theirs on.

Nice to be able to watch a movie or TV or listen to music until the aircraft is at the gate.

Adam
Old Sep 16, 2009, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by anat0l
My first time into AKL (or New Zealand for that matter) I got benched and of course got cleared of any wrongdoing (although the person assigned to inspect me at the time probably really wanted to do me in). Subsequent times, though, have only been x-rays (even though, yes - once again, I had items to declare). Really weird, and on travelling to AKL I still always prepare for the worst treatment.
I find Customs/MAF/Avsec at Auckland all seem to be rude & rather not be there. Where as the staff at Sydney are much more welcomeing & friendy (Apart from the QF staff on the NZ desks).

Auckland seems to treat you like your 3rd word citztens, Ive found lately all that avsec asks you "Is there a Laptop in there" not even a "Hi". Points at AKL Domestic Avsec (CHC & WLG put you to shame).
Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:47 pm

Nice report KF. Been a while since I've read much from you.

You got any more RTWs planned?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:51 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Sorry to hear about your drama at SYD, shame we couldn't raid the mini-bar together. We needed your help.

If you couldn't use your express cards from other airlines, does that mean I won't be able to use my stockpile of QF cards when I fly LA and NZ this weekend? (LA for SYD-AKL and NZ return.)
Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:52 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by MilesDependent
You mean 'how many has he got planned?'
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:13 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Leumas
Sorry to hear about your drama at SYD, shame we couldn't raid the mini-bar together. We needed your help.

If you couldn't use your express cards from other airlines, does that mean I won't be able to use my stockpile of QF cards when I fly LA and NZ this weekend? (LA for SYD-AKL and NZ return.)
Considering the QF staff at LA desks hand you the QF Express Pass I can vouch that it does not matter. I have so many now that I have not even bothered to take up the offer as I have a brief look at how many are in the Xray check and decide if it is worth it.
Also I have generally been through SYD, off the early morning TT flights, within 10 minutes of front door opening.^
AKL, well customs are generally friendly with me, does not beat the very happy officer at WLG though (I do not know how she (I forget her name) can keep up that perkiness but it is good at the end of a flight at midnight).
MAF did screen my bag once when I had fruit, from the First Lounge, and did not pick it up, I only found out when I got home Thankfully that meant I avoided that stupid mandatory fine.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Thankfully that meant I avoided that stupid mandatory fine.
Its being put up to $400 soon
We slowly are becoming the United States of New Zealand
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Leumas
I suspect it was because I didn't have an express card in hand, but instead tried to fish one out of my bag. I thought I had a spare EK one in my stockpile but I only had QF, NZ & BA on me.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MilesDependent
Nice report KF. Been a while since I've read much from you.

Thanks. Yes I do have more RTWs, but first several other trips including 5 Boeings straight to the Airbus Do which I'm particularly looking forward to.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 8:03 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Hi Kiwi Flyer, just wondering which award promotion did you use to redeem EK J Trans-Tasman? I am looking my next J opportunities on points ..... I have already tried NZ J award (on B767 and A320 Business) this year and will try SQ J award (On New Regional J and SpaceBed) at early next year. Would love to try EK J as well.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 2:17 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Skywards had a promotion with heavily discounted awards on certain routes - I think it was late last year.

Emirates usually match Air NZ business class sales so that is another good way to try them out for not too much $.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.