Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Dubai Jumeirah Resort {ARE}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Dubai Jumeirah Resort {ARE}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2004, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Virgin Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Plat

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Dubai - Jumeirah Beach

Jumeirah Beach Residence - The Walk Dubai, AE

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Dubai - Jumeirah Beach (0 Photo)

Hi Beergut (aka Nigel)

I'm fairly new contributor to FT and this is my first post on the Hilton BB.

Anyway I thought I would own first experience of the Hilton Jumeirah with you and other FTers.

Check In

My first stay with the Hilton Jumeirah was when I was a Silver HH member about 18 months ago and was traveling with a fellow employee, a member of my team specifically. We had a very early arrival (around 1am) and checked in hoping to get my non smoking room preference.

No such luck, I was given a smoking room even though the lady at check-in reluctantly agreed that my non smoking preference was clearly stipulated on my reservation confirmation, made a fortnight earlier. Did I get an apology, oh no it was that room or nothing.

Service

Tiredness was getting the better of me so I accepted and trudged off to my room insisting that I would like to have a quick word with the duty manager and could he or she call or meet me asap. I was offered a very wishy washy acknowledgement that this would happen, had a quick shower a light snack but an hour later still nothing, I rang the front desk, to be told the duty manager was too busy and would call me when he was free. Too busy at 2:30am, I wonder, however I gave them the benefit of the doubt...

The following morning 7:30am getting ready to grab some breakfast, had I been contacted by the duty manager...nope...no call, no note under the door (nor a complimentary / goodwill breakfast voucher !) and no voicemail message.

Ah well perhaps that was too much to expect, after all I was a mere Silver HH member!

So I joined my colleague for breakfast, the normal idle chit chat.."did you sleep well" etc etc. Imagine my surprise when he mentioned he had been upgraded to a a non-smoking Suite. Well good for him, particular as he was staying on a restricted room rate and wasn't a Hilton HH member, but I must confess I felt a little hard done by. As a Hilton honors member staying on a fully flexible rate should I been considered for that or another superior room. Wouldn't that have been a suitable goodwill gesture.

Overall

Anyway filled out a comment card but never did hear back...

No too impressed on my first....however the saga continues...

I have posted a few details on my subsequent visit as a Gold member...

Would you like to write a review on the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Dubai - Jumeirah Beach?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 28, 2004, 12:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by beergut:
I was also described as " an esteemed Gold HHonors member " </font>

Humour aside, I much prefer the 'esteemed member' reception at most European/Asian Hiltons to the slightly condescending 'just a lowly gold' (responding poster appears to manage an SPG property) welcome I perceive at a number of Starwoods.
Old Feb 28, 2004, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Virgin Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Plat

Jumeirah Beach Residence - The Walk Dubai, AE

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Dubai - Jumeirah Beach (0 Photo)

Beergut, overall you've had it good !

So to continue where I left off...my last experience...the long version !

Visited the Hilton Jumeirah late last year as a Gold HH member a few stays short of reaching enough to make Diamond !)

Service

Was offered a standard room Double Deluxe, admittedly the one I paid for,so no reason to complain, but as I've become fairly accustomed to being upgraded over my last 20 odd stays, I thought I would ask if an upgrade might be on the cards. I asked if all the Executive rooms were full. The lady at Check-in confirmed that in fact the hotel wasn't that busy perhaps expecting me to ask to ask to pay and upgrade accordingly.

To her surprise I asked if as a Gold HH Member I would be upgraded to an Executive room, particular as they were clearly available.

Oh my, what a reaction. "I'm sorry sir we only upgrade Diamond members". I felt I needed to correct her, actually Gold members are also entitled to upgrade, subject to availabilty.

I thought I should briefly recount my previous bad experience at this hotel (my other post above), and with considerable reluctance she said she would check my stay history (perhaps to disapprove my version of events) and surprise surprise they had no record of my previous stay, even though I only had to sign the registration slip, no copy of the passport etc.

I persevered, partly now as a matter of principle, that perhaps she check with her manager whether 'my interpretation' of Gold member benefits was accurate.

She disappeared for about 10 seconds and returned to and very generously offered me a room with a better view, a sea view no less.

Nice touch an Executive Room with a sea view..ahh not quite. The standard room with a better view was all I was being offered. OK so where do we stand on Gold member upgrades...

It was like pulling teeth, but she finally accepted that Gold members could be upgraded. Despite this she still tried to 'sell me' the sea view rather than the the superior room.

This was getting me no where, I decided to meet her half way. "Ok I'll take the sea view", but I assume I can use the Exec Lounge", begrudgingly she agreed.

Overall

End result got a decent view and use of the Exec lounge, a satisfactory compromise, but why the battle of wits, for a stated HH VIP Gold privilege ??

On the plus side the staff in the Exec Lounge were excellent, quality of catering was good, nice views etc

Well the next trip will be as a Diamond member in the next couple of months....I wonder if I'll get the Suite treatment!

any thoughts ?

Would you like to write a review on the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Dubai - Jumeirah Beach?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Oct 20, 2004, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Wudy15
...as they do free airport transfers both ways for Diamonds and Exec floor guests. It's good to have the Merc waiting when you arrive at DXB.
Myself and my wife shall be staying at Hilton's Jumeriah Beach hotel in a few days.

It is our first anniversary and we are staying on the executive floor.

Does anybody know if they still offer the 'free airport transfers'?

Many thanks
Old Oct 20, 2004, 10:30 am
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
adamwebster,

I'd seen it posted somewhere on FT that they have scrapped the free transfer for Diamonds, but I think that it is still included in the Exec room benefits. I am open to correction though

My suggestion is to email the hotel on the address shown earlier and ask them from there ...

Regards,

John P.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 2:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
I think it was me who posted about the demise of the free transfers at the JB hotel John.

The free transfers still apply for PAID stays on the Exec floor. They stopped the free transfers for guests UPGRADED to Exec level.

As far as i know the Creek hotel still offers free transfers for Diamonds but i suppose it is only 5 mins from the airport compared to half an hour to JB.

I will be at the DC on the 26th Nov for 1 nt and on to JB until the 5th Dec(Dubai Rugby Sevens) if anyone is up for a beer or two!!

Cheers

Alan
Old Oct 21, 2004, 4:01 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
When I stayed at the Jumeirah (as a Gold) I was very happy to be upgraded to a suite

I thought the hotel, and club room in particular, was excellent.

I've recently been back to Dubai, but had to stay at another hotel, but then as I wasn't paying I couldn't really argue.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 2:45 pm

My only gripe with Jumeirah and Creek Hiltons are the "Happy Hours" in the Exec lounge. They serve free soft drinks all evening but the free alcohol is only 6.00pm to 8.00pm.

Yet in the more "strict" capital Abu Dhabi the Hilton Exec lounge was serving free alcohol from 6.00pm to 11.00pm!!! Magic!!!!

Cheers!!!

Alan
Old Oct 22, 2004, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by adamwebster
Does anybody know if they still offer the 'free airport transfers'?

Many thanks
I emailed the hotel asking them this question. To aid others in the future (should they actually do a search! ) below is their response:

Dear Mr. Webster,

We are indeed holding an Executive room for you which entails that you
do have the previliges of complimentary breakfast, airport transfers and
access to the Executive Lounge.

Please advise us your flight details should you want us to arrange the
transfers for you. And please do not hesitate to contact us directly if
there is nayhting else we can do for you.

Looking forward to welcoming you at Hilton Dubai Jumeirah!!

Kind regards,

And to think, I'd have never even been aware that I was entitled to airport transfers if it wasn't for you guys!! Many thanks!

Last edited by adamwebster; Oct 22, 2004 at 1:04 pm
Old Oct 22, 2004, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Wudy15
My only gripe with Jumeirah and Creek Hiltons are the "Happy Hours" in the Exec lounge. They serve free soft drinks all evening but the free alcohol is only 6.00pm to 8.00pm.

Yet in the more "strict" capital Abu Dhabi the Hilton Exec lounge was serving free alcohol from 6.00pm to 11.00pm!!! Magic!!!!

Cheers!!!

Alan
Think yourself lucky, just back fom several days at the Dubai Creek where I found that during Ramadan they were serving no alcohol at all in the Exec Lounge, despite serving it in all bars. I have never had this problem at the Jumeirah Beach, and was a bit annoyed about this. Worth knowing for anyone planning a trip in the next month or so.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 3:01 pm

Hi Land-of -Miles.

I stayed at the Hilton Jumeirah last year during Ramadan and the alcohol was still served in the Exec lounge but it was later approx 8 til 10 (after dusk) and you could not drink outside on the balcony. That apart it was pretty normal.
Cheers

Alan
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:28 pm

Programs: BD *G, HHonors Gold, EI Gold Circle
Hilton Jumeirah Beach

Hi, i was wondering has anyone stayed at the Dubai Hilton Jumeirah beach. Ive heard there is alot of building work behind it but surely that cant affect the quality of my hotel stay that much, can it?

Does anyone know any good websites for cheap rates at this hotel? Hilton.com rates dont seem very competitive for that area compared to similar hotels on Jumeirah beach. Im looking for mid August so most hotels offer good discounts at that time of year.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 1:07 pm
Community Director Emerita

There is some info in these threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381618

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131760
Old Apr 16, 2005, 6:10 am

Programs: UA1P, SK S, BA B, SPG G, Hyatt G, HH G, HM Revenue & Customs Lifetime MilkCow Platinum Plus
I loved Hilton Jumeirah Beach, despite the construction work. True, there is plenty of that, but at the time when you intend to visit, please remember your windows will be firmly shut and air con will be on, because opening balcony door is like opening a door of a giant oven.

I booked mine through Expedia, and stayed there in July. My room was about $90.00 per night, which I think is a fantastic value, although breakfast was not included and I had to pay extra for that.

On balance, Sheraton, which is not far away, has more dining options, larger number of pools and is more exuberant. It is in a similar price range. Nevertheless, I liked Hilton very, very much. Their chilled pool is a wonderful thing when it is scorching outside, and huge fans blowing chilled air onto patrons of the beach bar were a nice touch.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 5:18 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
I much prefer the Hilton Dubai Creek. The location is superb as is the hotel. We have stayed there twice and were upgraded (as Diamonds) and given free breakfast and access to the lounge. They run a free shuttle to the Jumeriah several times per day so you get the benefits of the beach while staying in the city.

The construction around the Jumeriah in December and January was horredous. I could not have stayed there. The benefits of the staying in the city are:-
  • Closer to the main shopping areas
  • Lots more interesting things to do within walking distance
  • The taxis are very cheap so getting around is easy

I cannot see us staying at Jumeriah for many years.

August is not the best time to go. It will be VERY hot and humid. During this time even the locals make an exodus to cooler climates. We have been in late October and December and October is the better time to go. It was a bit too cool in December.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.