Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok side trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2009, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

MNL

Security post with armed guards at the hotel entrance, they checked the boot, looked under the car with mirrors and had a bomb dog sniffing around. Somewhat unusual for me, but apparently very common at business hotels in Manila. I had my luggage inspected and passed through a metal detector before I was allowed into the lobby. In my 9th floor twin room I received a rather worrying message from my father about BKK airport being closed due to riots and protests. I had not checked the news lately, so this caught me off guard and might make for an interesting connection the following day.

I left the hotel early as I was worried about traffic and I'd been advised to have plenty of time at Nino Aquino. Traffic was no problem at 6 AM, and the sun was just rising above the Manila sky. I had to show my itinerary and passport to be let into the terminal, good thing I had a print out available. Also needed to clear security to enter the old and sticky terminal building. Seeing the horrendous queues at check-in I was very happy to be able to use the premium check-in counters which were deserted. This could be the best use of a Star Gold card ever if flying
economy. I was swiftly checked in and received boarding passes for both MNL-SIN and SIN-BKK sectors. I was in 12A on both legs. Then I showed my BP again and went to pay my departure tax of 750 pesos. After this came
immigration, filling out the same info as on arrival. Upon clearing immigration comes the proper security check, shoes off and the whole nine yards. I mistakenly lined up in the wrong queue, and was quickly advised that I was
in the female security line.

The terminal is old, crowded and a little dirty, and not somewhere you want to spend more than than necessary. I headed to the Silver Kris Lounge and was directed to the Raffles side. MNL is not very updated you see, and even the SQ business class is still called Raffles here Average lounge, but it had air condition which is very welcome in this airport, as well as free wi-fi and some light breakfast items and beverages. I had some sandwiches and went online to see if there was any update on the situation at Suvarnabhumi.
The sun was rising and it made som some nice views as I watched the little action going on from the lounge.

Pictures:

Sunrise enroute to NAIA
Entrance to MNL Silver Kris Lounge
The SQ 777-200 taking me to SIN
Nice old-fashinoned flight information at NAIA
Old Mar 14, 2009, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

MNL-SIN
SQ915 Business class
Dep. 08.20AM
Boeing 777-200
Seat 12A

I was delighted to step aboard and be welcomed once again by a smiling SQ crew. I was directed to the left and settled in 12A while being offered newspapers, magazines and a pre-departure juice. The aircraft, a Boeing
777-200, had the regional business class in a 2-3-2 config. Plenty of legroom for this flight, but limited recline. Headsets, socks, and eyeshades handed out. I was addressed by name throughout the flight, which I always like.
Breakfast started off with fresh fruit and rolls, for the main I opted for the Dim Sum which was rather good. Other alternatives were omelette and waffles.

A smooth flight into SIN and we were greeted by slightly clouded weather. The FA was asking about connections, but they did not have any info on my BKK flight. There was no gate info either on the screens, mine the only flight without a gate. So this was not looking too good I thought to myself, but at least I am now in transit with SQ so they will need to take care of me.

Leaving NAIA
Business class cabin
Legroom
Take-off from MNL
Last views of Manila
Dim sum breakfast
Familiar sight in Singapore
Descending to SIN
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:23 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Great report! I loved it.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:37 pm

Thanks for the fantastic report, enjoyed reading it!
Old Mar 15, 2009, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments guys ^
Old Mar 15, 2009, 4:06 am
Original Poster

SIN transit takes an unexpected turn

SIN

Upon deplaning, I was greeted by SQ ground staff who were holding a big sign with my name. I was informed that my connecting flight was cancelled due to the BKK airport closure, and that they had booked me a hotel room for the night. I proceeded to transfer E in T2, where they issued a voucher for the Crowne Plaza in Terminal 3.

I was put in a very sleek club room on the 9th floor, having brilliant runway views, in fact there was an A388 leaving the gate immediately below. Pretty good, I thought!

SQ covered all meals, excluding alcoholic beverages. The meals were at the Azur reastaurant, which had very nice buffet for all their settings, with a variety of western and Asian cousine. I would be putting on some weight
here...

I figured I might as well have a good time and enjoy myself, so I headed into downtown Singapore for some shopping and sightseeing. Some great food to be had in Singapore for sure, even though some of it is rather expensive. Especially enjoyed chili crabs!

The next morning I found a note under my door explaining that the BKK flights were still cancelled and I would be spending another night at SQs expense. The hotel was fully booked by this time, especially with Quantas and BA customers bound for Thailand, as they'd rerouted BKK flights to SIN. Talking with my dad, who was stuck in Bangkok, he thought there was no imminent chance of airport re-opening and advised me to look for alternative routings to get back to Europe. This meant I missed my stay at the Bo Phut in Koh Samui, the 5 star resort I had been lucky enough to book in LHWs 1928 promotion. Very unfortunate as I was looking forward to some days on the beach, so I informed them I would be unable to join them. The conditions of the offer explicitly stated no change of dates allowed, but they were more than happy to accommodate me later due to the exceptional circumstances. Well done.

I also went about cancelling hotels bookings for Bangkok, along with Samui flights and rebooking my return to Europe that was scheduled to be on Austrian flight from Bangkok. Austrian were in fact running flights, but out of
U-Tapao near Pattaya. Apparently a very small airport with one runway (and no lounge used for charter ops.

I had some troubles with the OS BKK office, I can understand they must have been swamped with work in the situation, but nothing was resolved to my satisfaction. They had strict orders from Vienna on what to do and not to do. Well, I called Vienna, they informed me that my semi-flexible ticket would allow re-rerouting from another destination on LH, LX or OS, but only in the same booking class. I asked them to make an exception, because only full-fare was available out of SIN on LH the next week (due to the BKK closure). I pressed on for re-booking on SQ as I was at their hub, but this was not possible in any way, even in Economy - I was on a D-class ticket. They told me SQ would not permit re-routing of OS tickets on their metal. SQ is a really great airline product wise and when it comes to onboard service, but sometimes you really wonder why they are a member of Star Alliance.

This goes with for my SIN layover as well, I asked SQ to be re-routed to another destination but they demanded I pay the fare difference to fly to HKG in stead of BKK. I refused, explaining that they would be able to not pay me for lots of hotel nights and all meals, if they just booked me on one of the many available seats to HKG. My booking was a BMI redemption, so they were very apprehensive about doing anything. They did book me for Sunday,
apparently in the hope that they would be running scheduled flights to BKK that day. Again, speaking to me dad stuck in BKK, he was going on a buss to Phuket, as there was no obvious resolution in sight.

I then called Diamond Club, and explained the situation. The first two calls were fruitless, of course I was aware that once you have started an award itinerary no changes are allowed but exceptions can always be made. First lady refused on those grounds. Second one looked for alternative flights, but could not find a single seat to NRT, HKG or any destination the next day. ANA was giving me lots of availability so I thought that odd. The old DC ICC trick of calling again (and again) came in handy, I scored on my 3rd attempt, getting a very helpful gentleman.

He checked with a supervisor, and came back explaining that they were happy to change my Z7-Z7 booking to a Z7-Z8 booking for the next day, with no extra charges at all in cash nor miles (or taxes) due to the circumstances. I gratefully thanked him, as he told me it would be ticketed immediately. Funny thing, I was on Expertflyer and ANA tool all day, and not a single seat in business class was available in business on SQ12
the next day to NRT. Only F and Y. But he still managed to get me a seat, great work and big thanks to DC who I am most impressed by in this ordeal.

On Checkmytrip a minute later my SQ reference was available, so I called to book a seat. According to Expert
flyer 17A, the coveted exit row seat was available. I called and asked for that seat, the CS woman seemed
a little surprised it was available. I also booked the lobster thermidor for BTC. It's a bit late to book BTC
the night before a morning departure, so I was not holding my breath but she it was no problem.

I celebrated my days work on Skype, Expertflyer and ANA tool by booking a 75 minute facial treatment at the hotel, before retiring early to be and looking forward to finally leaving my Changi hotel after a 3 day transit.

Pictures:
Crowne Plaze Singapore Changi T3
Very short walk from T3 to hotel
Pool area
Hotel room had excellent runway views
My first time seeing two of these togehter
The new and the old
View from my tub, a plane spotters dream perhaps?
Unfortunate timing of ad in the Straits Times
Beautiful sunset from my room
Old Mar 15, 2009, 4:54 am
Original Poster

SIN-NRT
SQ12 Business class
Dep. 09.45AM
Boeing 747-400
Seat 17A

The next morning I checked out, had a quick breakfast of omelette and smoked salmon before I did the 3 minute walk from the hotel to my check-in desk in T3. The economy check-ins had huge lines, so I was happy to just wait a minute at Business Class check-in at row 6. I was welcomed to the lounge, but when I asked them to confirm my BTC I was told "insufficient time" was noted in my record, so no guarantee. Oh well.

Immigration was a few minutes wait, no fast track available for business. The nice and airy space in T3 had some great shopping available, but a bit pricey. So I headed to SKL where I was warmly greeted to the business class section. An expansive lounge, with a pretty good food selection, I opted for some fresh fruit and a ginger ale as I had just eaten and and was still hoping for my lobster BTC. Free wifi of course, and some nice shower facilities.

I was departing from A16, so I left 15 minutes to scheduled boarding time to catch the skytrain. Priority boarding was just commencing as I came to the gate area, so I was quickly on board and welcomed by 2 SQ girls at
2L. Up the stairs, and another SQ girl awaited, taking my jacket and showing me my seat, the exit row window seat 17A with tons of legroom.

Newspapers and pre-departure drink of orange juice was delivered, while I got settled in. Liked the personal windowstorage box on upper deck window seats, nice feature. Ordered a Silver Kris Sling for my first drink after take-off
followed by Charles Heidsieck Champagne. Several top-ups were offered as I enjoyed the succulent Satay appetiser, followed by a fresh seafood starter with glass noodles.

Funny thing happened, an elderly British gentleman in the row behind seated himself and greeted his seatmate, saying: "you are a lucky man. I have a deal for you." He then went on to explain,that his wife was in First, and would he mind switching seats with her so they could sit together. The Japanese gentleman in question obliged, though he did not let on that he was excited. I put this down to Japanese politeness. At the same time, I sat there wishing it had happened to me, and I would certainly have alighted if I was offered such a proposition. The switch took some time, and needed the attention of the senior crew member who obviously took care to check all the facts before facilitating the switch. I tell you, if my wife had been in F, I would have asked her to stay there and enjoy it. But of course people have different priorities

The SQ girl came around taking orders for main meal, and I asked if she had a BTC lobster for me. She confirmed she had, and I thanked her commenting I had only ordered it last night. Well, than you are lucky, Sir. Indeed, lucky is
what I felt. A superb Slipper Lobster Thermidor was served me, I opted to have more champagne with, having tried the slightly fruity Chardonnay with the assorted Asian appetiser starter.

Following the lobster main course, I had the ice cream with berries. This was followed by a cheese plate. After that I had another glass of champers, I was going to enjoy this to the fullest extent I thought while enjoyed my 5th top-up.

Watched an episode of The Office US on the KrisWorld AVOD, and listened to some music as well. Surprisingly good headphones, noise reduction set on the SQ longhaul routes. I did not try it out on my previous trip in SQ F as I used my own Bose QC2 set - which is superior no doubt. But this is the best set I have experieced in any business class.

Now on my 6th glass of Charles Heidsieck, I went for a necessary visit to the front of the uppder deck. No, not the flight deck, but the bathroom. Upon existing, I met the SQ girl who informed me that she had topped up my glass of champers, asking "is that OK?" I think my huge smile was answer enough for her

Excellent crew once again on SQ, once you get to book your actual tickets, everything is pure bliss. I officially love SQ. How will I get these rewards once the 747s are phased out? The regional 777s also have great service yet lack the hardproduct for now, but for longhaul SQ is absolutely top notch.

I'd wowed to stay awake the entire flight (this was day time), but after all that consumption I did not stand a chance. The SpaceBed was quite comfy too, in it's lie-flat position.

Descending on Narita I filled out my immigration and customs forms while enjoying the winter sun setting in late afternoon.

Pictures:
T3 Silver Kris Lounge Business class
My seat, 17A
Plenty of legroom in row 17
SQ A345 lined up in the distance
Airborne
Satay
Assorted Asian starter
Book the cook Lobster Thermidor
In flight sunset
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:00 am
Original Poster

SIN-NRT SQ12 Business class menu

Lunch Menu

SINGAPORE TO TOKYO

Prelude
Satay
With onion, cucumber and spicy peanut sauce

Starter
Assorted Asian appetiser
Tandoori chicken with cucumber raita, roasted duck and archar and Thai style chicken with glass noodles

Main
Pan roasted beef fillet with bournignonne sauce, sauteed mushroom with bacon and potato mash

Famous Singapore chicken rice
Fragrant poached chicken with pandan flavoured rice, served with ginger, soya and chili sauce
A renowned Singapore favorite

Spaghetti pasta with stewed chorizo pork sausage, olives and capsicum in tomato sauce

Finale
Vanilla ice cream with berry compote

Gourmet cheese with garnishes

A selection of fresh fruit

Lunch menu

SINGAPORE TO TOKYO

KAGETSU-ZEN

Ha-Sun
Smoked salmon, yam sushi, grilled eel, prawn meatball, pike wwl, marinated squid, omelette

Yakimono
Grilled yuzu flavoured black cod

Takiawase
Simmered crab parcel, carrot, gluten, yuzu

Gohan
Tea flavoured steamed rice

Tome-***
Miso soup

Men
Cold buckwheat noodles

Mizugashi
Vanilla ice cream with berry compote, crispy tuile
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

NRT

I left the Hilton Narita in the morning, and enjoyed my ride in the hotel shuttle in the beautiful sunshine.
The bus was stopped by police as we entered the airport grounds, and they did a quick passport check before waving us on. After passing some aircraft we arrived at terminal 2.

No queue at Austrian business class check-in, quite a bit of que in Economy. Most of the European longhauls depart around the same mid-morning wave of departures, so it was busy as people were checking in for SK, LH, LX, OS, SQ as well as NH. TG desk was deserted, even though a special TG 777 out of U-Tapao landed here last night, filled with Japanese vacationers unable to get home from Thailand. I met them as I was exiting my flight, and there was a huge press turnout.

Security was a breeze, there was apparently no fast track, but even better: there was no need for it. Such efficient and good at organizing the Japanese, gotta love it. I snapped some shots as you have pretty good airside views in T2. Checked out the ANA lounge, I first by mistake went to the F lounge, where a charming young lady apologised, and asked me to use the C facilties. I hadn't noticed, so I was the one who should apologise.

ANA Business lounge was crowded, as expected with all the longhauls leaving at this time. I had a couple of small sandwiches and an nice Udon noodle soup from the noodle bar. There was also a Sake bar, which was not open in the morning. But the brilliant beer tapping machines were working so at least I got a cold draft :-)

Boarding was called in the lounge and I made my way to gate 36. There was a long que for economy, and happily not a person in sight at the business/*G line. I love the way the Japanese operate priority.

Pictures:
Narita depature hall
Austrian business class check-in
The 777-200 taking me to VIE
ANA business lounge entrance
Nice Udon noodle soup (check out the logo)
I still love the beer tapping machine
Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

NRT-VIE
OS52 Business class
Dep. 11.55AM
Boeing 777-200
Seat 3A

Actually bowed and welcomed on board at 1L on this flight as well, OS uses some Japanese FAs on their NRT flights. The Austrian purser showed me my seat, took my jacket and handed me a bottle of Evian water. I got settled in
with all my stuff in 3A, knowing I would have a seatmate. The front main business class cabin was almost full with only 2 middle seats vacant.

I had the OS pre-departure sparkling wine, agian no champagne on the ground with these guys. Most of the mid-morning departure wave had left by now unfortunatly so I did not get to snap pics of all the beauties I had wanted, including an SQ A380. Well, I'd had them right outside my window in Changi for 4 days so can't complain. The only ones I spotted were parked in the distance, including NW and some ANA business jets.

Once again a nice and powerful take-off on the 777-200 equipped with GE90s. Upon reaching crusing altitude I ordered champagne, Leroy-Duval is what OS serves in C. It was rather quaffable, as the Britsh say. The purser came around, greeting all in the cabin by name and welcoming us on board. Very nice touch, and not something they did ex-VIE. The OS amenity kit comes in a big yellow bag that is perhaps supposed to double as shoebag. It contains socks, shades, toothbrush, lotions, earplugs, tissues. Noice cancelling headset already in seatpocket.

Then came the meal orders.
I chose the western meal option, starting with a tasty appetiser. For starters I had the tuna, followed by potato soup. For my main I had the spring lamb, which was very tender and succulent, washed down with a nice cabernet sauvignin from Chile.
Once again, excellent catering onboard OS C. I followed this with cheese, as
OS serves cheese and fruit and dessert at the same time. Too bad, I'd have liked to finished off with some ice cream. Anyhow, the coffee menu was passed out, and I ordered the Wien Melange. I had baileys on ice with this and was actually completely stuffed by this time.

Settled back and watched Leatherheads, the latest George Clooney flick which was passable. Found a very nice relax postition for the seat, I often find these lie-flat style seats more comfy when not completely reclined, because then I start slipping down. So naturally in such a good position I fell asleep. Woke up 5 hours later, which I was kind of impressed with in the middle of the day and all. Upon waking up I wanted to watch a movie, but
again with this non-Avod system, it's just not good enough in a 2008 longhaul C cabin. So I switched on my Ipod and kicked back with some Kings of Convenience.

My overall impression of OS longhaul business class is good, and the catering is truly excellent! SAS could learn something from them. Seat if fine, but the cabin lay-out of 2-3-2 means it does feel somewhat cramped, and solo flyers need to beware of the dreaded middle seat. No AVOD on C is also a big drawback in this time and age. Service, especially on the NRT sector, was very good.

Pictures:
Welcome drink
Business class cabin
In the air. Is that Mt. Fuji?
Appetiser
Tuna starter
Excellent potato soup
Main course of lamb
Cheese plate
In flight view
Pre-landing snack
Sun setting in VIE
Cafè avec in VIE Senator lounge

VIE

We landed in the early evening as the sun was setting on Vienna. I exited swiftly and beat the masses from economy to immigration. I headed straight to the Senator lounge and announced my wish to take a shower. There is only one, and I was asked to wait a bit as they were cleaning it after the previous user. I happily slid down into one of the many chairs, had a diet coke and checked the newspaper selection.

The shower room was nicely appointed and clean, which made for a thoroughly refreshing and relaxing shower after a long flight from Narita. Feeling reborn I hit the food selection, and sampled tonight’s spread from Do & Co. A nice casserole, some salad and bread to go with some excellent Austrian beer would do nicely, as I connected to free wifi and checked my e-mails.

VIE-OSL
OS331 Business class
Dep. 19.40
Fokker 100
Seat 1D

I made my way to the gate at the announced boarding gate to find a huge line. There was no priority line to be seen, which I thought was disappointing at Austrian’s home base, just like my long haul flight from VIE. In fact, it was the complete opposite of boarding the Austrian flight in Narita, where the Japanese had a big priority lane with no queue as the economy lines stretched out long, and bowed me onboard. I missed Asia already in some aspects.

The flight this Sunday evening to OSL was crammed, and every seat seemed to be taken. I was very happy I’d booked 1D, which is the aisle seat in the 3-seater, as Austrian blocks the middle seat. The passengers in A and C had no such luck as it’s only a 2-seater. I was exceedingly tired at this point, declined my food, had some red wine and drifted off to sleep. I slept on and off until we started descending at OSL. All I needed to do then was to get my quota at the tax-free zoo in the arrivals hall, and head straight for the airport express train, and look forward to soon be sleeping in my own bed again.

In the end, I got home safe and sound after an exciting adventure and many, many hours in the air. I never got to meet up with my dad as planned, never got to go to my luxury hotel in Samui and never got to spend time in Bangkok. But such is life. Now at least I have another excuse to go to back

35099 miles covered according to Great Circle Mapper
Old Mar 16, 2009, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
view - a very enjoyable trip report! I loved the photos.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:29 am

I am curious how this ticket was constructed. So, did you have a roundtrip ticket from OSL-BKK and then a reward ticket to Vancouver via MNL, NRT, and SFO? How many days total were you out? Did you get a chance to see anything of MNL, SFO, YVR, or NRT other than the airport?

Anyway, great trip report!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:33 am

Thanks for a very complete trip report.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback^

It was a set of different tickets, OSL-BKK being my initial booking which I made when Austrian had a 50% off campaign for all internet bookings, including business class. As things worked out I wanted to visit a friend in SFO, and the routing was due to a number of reasons. I wanted a good deal premium fare, and most of all SQ F. I had barely missed the KUL-USA deal before it died. But a lot of good fares exist between MNL and YVR, so I played around with that a little and ended up getting one-way F fare for under $2k incl SQ. A reward got me from BKK to MNL, and it was intended to be my only Y leg, but I did end up paying a cash upgrade. The return YVR-MNL was also what I consider a good deal premium fare. MNL-SIN-BKK was a reward in SQ C, that ended up being routed to NRT instead, and my return BKK-OSL was also rerouted from NRT. I had to cancel BKK-USM return as I never got back into BKK.

I was away for 9 days in total, but my plans were disrupted by the BKK airport closure meaning I got to spend 4 days in SIN curtesy of SQ. I ended up spending 2 nights in SFO, 1 night in MNL and got to explore both cities. YVR was a pure turn around due to good fares, besides it was a little cold and I had carry-on only with no winter clothing. NRT I got to spend the last night and was able to check out the city. In fact, due to the amount of miles earned in BD programme, I am returning to NRT with my girlfriend in a few weeks, for a one week stay. Going out in SQ F and returning in LH C. No crazy routings though, I can only do that when I am my own
Old Apr 13, 2009, 9:55 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Hei View!

Thanks a lot for the great report! ^
I found it by a coincidence, completely missed it when it was up a month ago (haven't spent much time on FT in recent months due to heavy workload).

I remember you mentioned about the trip and indeed it's sounds like a fun but truly crazy itinerary.

OS C looks pretty nice, definitely on my list of airline products to try in the future. Btw regarding C/*G fast track at VIE they have it in some areas, like for the Schengen bus gates.

SQ and NH seemed to have kept the same good standard as always. It's a shame we don't get to experience a similar service level on intra-European flights as on comparable Asian flighs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.