Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok side trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2009, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Bangkok side trip - OS C, TG C, NH C, SQ F + more

Introduction

I had booked an Austrian Airlines business class ticket to Bangkok during the 50% off campaign in March. I decided to expand my intinerary, allowing me to visit some new places and sample a few new airlines, aircraft and premium classes. I also planned to visit my dad who was working in Bangkok, and use the excellent LHW $19.28 promotion I’d won in Samui. Well, that was my plan anyway. So I packed my rollaboard and headed off to enjoy myself.

On a side note, this is my first attempt at a trip report, so please be gentle. I've added some picture links for those interested. Unfortunately there's only pics from some segments, and of dubious quality at times. I'll do better next time

OSL-VIE
OS336 Business class
Dep 13.45
Fokker 100
Seat 1F

I checked in at the SAS Star Gold counter at OSL, which was deserted this afternoon. The friendly gentleman at check-in informed that I had first row windows seats all the way to BKK, and said” it doesn’t get any better than that”. To which I agreed.

I changed to my LH FF card as the earnings are much better for intra-Europe business class. I briefly tried to explain this to the agent as he seemed confused I would forego my Eurobonus Gold earnings, but he didn’t catch on so I let it go.

Security was a breeze, though no fast track for me, as Austrian Airlines flights are not offered this at OSL. This reflects poorly on SAS in my opinion, and contrasts to the treatment SAS flyers (Star golds) receive at e.g. German airports handled by LH.

Entering the Scandinavian Lounge 2 hours before my scheduled departure, it was very quiet and I had some simple Norwegian lunch food. This is typical of SAS OSL lounge, and not as good as the offerings at ARN and especially CPH. Perhaps it’s to do with the Norwegian lunch habits of only eating some simple packed lunch. I settled down with papers and the free wifi while waiting for my flight.

Approached the gate 20 mins before departure, but noticed the Fokker 100 aircraft was not even at the gate yet. Considered heading back to lounge, but no info on delay given so I figured it would soon arrive for a quick turn-around. Noticed OS changes crew for this day-time flight, which strikes me as rather odd, costs considered. But of course it’s always nice to see flaming red OS attendants walking down the departure hall.

Boarding was smooth, though no priority offered as usual at OSL. 2 rows in business on this flight, and only one other passenger in my section, seated in 1A. I had pre-booked 1F, due to the 2-3 config on this aircraft and OS keeping the middle seat blocked on the 3-seater. There was a slight delay as loading was finishing up, and I opted for a beer as pre-departure drink.

Once airborne I could smell the hot meal being prepared. This is a Do & Co catered flight, and today’s lunch consisted of scampi salad, a hot pork and pasta dish and a fatty bun with cream for desert. Decided to have red wine with the meal and a Baileys with the coffee afterwards. Spent some time reading the English papers handed out before takeoff before napping the final half hour. The final sunlight of the day was fast disappearing, and it was getting dark when we arrived in VIE.

Pictures:
Taxiing at OSL
Taking off from OSL
The winter sun setting
VIE tower

VIE

On arrival in Vienna I headed to the Austrian business lounge plaza, which is very big and has some nice tarmac views. It was rather crowded this afternoon, and as I could not find a seat I moved on to the Senator lounge. The Senator lounge had plenty of space when I entered, and a better food and drink selection. I guess a large number of FTLs crowd the business lounges at peak times. The lounge was nice and quiet and had a good selection of newspapers and magazines, I was surprised to even find some Norwegian titles. One shower was available in this lounge.

From the selection of hot food I had a casserole and cauliflower soup which was very nice, after which I sampled the selection of spirits. The Senator lounge in Vienna closes at 9PM every night and is located in the Schengen area, so I headed towards international departures in terminal A.

On my way I passed the Jet Lounge, where apparently all non-Star Alliance airlines have a common lounge. I saw Saudi Arabian, BA, El Al, KLM and so on. I considered having a look, as my Diners Club card would gain me entry, but seeing the flow of people I decided to skip it.

Upon entering terminal A I was happy I had delayed coming there, as it was quite poor. OS doesn’t have many longhaul departures and not lot of foreign carriers either from outside Schengen. Austrian has a combined Senator and Business lounge in terminal A, and it was pretty crowded and noisy close to departure. It is to be expected on a Bangkok flight when the lounge admits status passengers with family, and the kids want to watch a portable DVD using the speakers.

This lounge also had tarmac views, but the only plane to be seen was the EL Al departure for Tel Aviv. It boarded several hours before departure, it seems all EL AL flights have massive security.

Soup, bread, snacks and spirits were available. There is a shower facility as well as free wifi.

Last edited by view; Mar 12, 2009 at 12:55 am
Old Mar 10, 2009, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

VIE- BKK
OS25 Business class
Dep 23.20
Boeing 777-200
Seat 1K

Priority boarding for business and Star Gold seemingly not enforced at VIE, I just made a dash for it as it was one of those pre-boarding areas which I dislike. I went straight to my seat 1K, right hand side window, got my gear out, stowed my luggage and was offered a pre-departure drink. No real champagne, only sparkling wine for pre-departure drink, like on LH. I was joined by a seatmate, a nice Canadian chap who lived in Austria and was going onwards to Melbourne.

Once in the air I had the pleasure of experiencing the Do & Co catering on OS longhaul, which I must say is truly great. Regrettably no pictures available for this flight, but I can assure you that Austrian lived up to the expectations food-wise, I had an excellent salmon trout starter followed by a succulent stuffed chicken breast and goose liver. I finished off with a homemade cinnamon parfait, and some digestives along with some fancy coffee from Austrian’s extensive coffee menu. I had Duval-Leroy Fleur de Champagne with my starter, which is decent. Austrian does like to have a selection of Austrian wines onboard, but I opted for the Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon Reserva from Valle Del Maipo which was fine. I was admittedly feeling slightly light-headed at this point, having spent too many hours in lounges all day and, well, doing what one does in lounges. To make sure I had a Remy Martin VSOP and called it a night. Well, I had considered putting on a movie until I noticed OS doesn’t have AVOD. Yes, I kid you not. A longhaul business class in 2009 without AVOD. OS opted for the good old AV without OD in the C-class, which reminds me of when Club World was a cradle seat. Luckily the Austrian seat is not reminiscent of a cradle seat, and reclines into a lie-flat position. This is normally slightly awkward for me, as I tend to slide toward the floor during sleep, and this was no exception. Another good reason to take advantage of the drinks selection, I always thought.
We were awoken an hour and a half outside of Bangkok, and handed another menu. This makes the fourth on this flight, dinner, wine, coffee and breakfast. I went for the freshly scrambles eggs and bacon, the Austrian onboard chef makes them onboard and it tastes as good as eggs can get in the air. Fresh juice, rolls, coffee and what the heck, a Danish pastry later, I was ready to use the washroom and make myself presentable to customs.

Dinner menu:
A la Carte menu

Potpurri of salmon trout from Austrian lakes

or

Fillet of beef on seasonal salads / pesto beans

and/or

Creamy artichoke ginger soup

------------------------

please choose from our selection:

Veal loin
truffled puree / tempura vegetables
tomatoes / madeira jus

or

Chicken breast & goose liver
in puff pastry
white pepper sauce / sauteed mushrooms

or

Pappardelle with prawns
crab sauce

Assorted cheese & exotic fruit from our trolley

-----------------------------

Traditional sweep dumplings /vanilla sauce

and/or

Chestnut mousse

and/or

Home made cinnamon parfait

Freshly brewed coffee or tea

Digestives from our trolley

Pictures:
Austrian business cabin in first row
About to start descent to BKK
TG birds at BKK
LX A343 which continues on to SIN
Old Mar 10, 2009, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

BKK-MNL
TG620 Royal Silk class
Dep. 09.05
Boeing 777-200
Seat 11A

Checking in at the Star Gold counter for this TG Y ticket to MNL, I was offered to upgrade at 8000 baht, which she said I would get miles for. I thought that was interesting as I’m flying on a reward ticket this leg. Anyhow I decided to try it as I haven’t been in Thai international C, although only regional this time.

I paid the upgrade was and was ushered through Thai premium check-in at the B-zone, were they even have their own priority immigration and then straight down the elevator to the Royal Silk Lounge, which was a very large and smooth (as silk) facility. Had some eggs, bacon, toast, dumplings and fresh fruit for breakfast. Free Wi-fi was nice, and a good selection of international newspapers.

TG620 to Manila had recently been changed to add a tag-on to Osaka. As I passed security and entered the pre-boarding area I was happy to have upgraded as it was chock a block full. Royal Silk and Star G boarding was called and it was nice to see two bridges for separate premium boarding. I went left following the Royal Silk and Royal First signage. This Boeing 777-200 was a 2-class service so no first passengers today.
I was pleasantly surprised to see the Pod style seats in business this morning, in a 2-2-2- configuration, this is the lie-flat sleeper usually offered on long-haul. I was immediately offered a pre-departure drink, choice of tea, orange juice or water. I went for orange juice and moments later another steward came around with a bottle of Pommery champagne offering to everyone. Don’t you just love being offered Champagne without asking at
9.30 in the morning? I happily obliged and decided that the upgrade was already worth it.

My seatmate, a Japanese fellow, had a little accident and spilled his drink in his seat. He was sputtering ”sorry, sorry” while the purser directed no less than 3 FA’s to clean up everything and have a new drink in place in no time. Has was moved to 1F so I was by myself in 1A without a seatmate which is always nice to put my stuff, especially in bulkhead.
Starter was goose liver, grilled apple, smoked salmon with horseradish cream, capers and tomato and it was very tasty. I washed this down with some dry Chardonnay.
For main course I went for the prawns in red curry, I did not feel like Japanese food that early in the morning or else I would have tried the eel. I mean, we’re talking about a breakfast flight here, and this was the lightest meal option in my eyes. The curry was spicy and very good. I skipped the cheese and just had some fruit in stead. Chocolate cake for dessert was not very tempting either so I settled for a black coffee.

Making the most out of the nice seating on this flight I reclined into the lie-flat position and tried to sleep a little before coming into Nino Aquino. Only 15 minutes before landing did the fasten seatbelt sign come on, which I thought was very nice as it gave me maximum time to sleep. We had to circle Manila once, I could see a PR 747 on final so our slight delay out of BKK has lost us our slot. Only a couple of minutes extra, and I did not mind the nice views of Manila.
Touching down it was announced all passengers had to deplane, those bound for Osaka had to bring all their belongings and have them screened before re-entering. Seems a little fuzzy, since everyone had just come through security at BKK anyhow. We taxied past the Philippine Airlines terminal before coming to the international terminal used by all foregin airlines.

My ride to Manila at the gate in BKK
My seatmate moved to the middle section
Menu and paper in hand
Breakfast menu
Starter
Main course
Old Mar 10, 2009, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

MNL

The terminal building was old, hot and sticky. Somehow just how I pictured it, out of a 70’s movie. I made my way to the transfer desk, but was unable to secure my BP yet. I asked if I could go to the lounge, had my printed itinerary stamped and went to transfer security. I had the impression Manila security was very strict, but I did not have to remove my laptop, belt, shoes or anything really. I also forgot to remove my liquids bag, but no one noticed and I was on my way.

The lounge was unoccupied, there was no-one in there, staff or customers. A big closed sign hung on the door, but the door was open so I though what the heck and sat myself down. Shortly after a couple of guys hauling drink supplies arrived, so I asked them if it was ok and I was more than welcome and they ushered me into the F-section upon seeing my itinerary. Remember, no BP yet.

The lounge was unimpressive, ugly and worn was my first thought. No premium food or drink, just some spaghetti bolognese and one brand of beer, the local San Miguel (not the Spanish one), which was rather good. No wines on offer and only standard spirits. 2 computers with internet, the saver for me was the mentioned free wifi. Decent selection of papers, but no bathroom, you have to use the public toilet by gate 7, very shabby stuff.

Cathay Pacific lounge, First class section
Drinks, First class section

The Silver Kris lounge looked very inviting, so I thought I might go and ask if they would let in an SQ F flyer without a ticket, who was flying SQ out of another airport albeit today. The proposition was not inviting, so I went back to the CX lounge.

I logged on the Wifi to check my mails and was horrified to see an e-mail requesting that I contact the online TA I used because CX has changed the class of service. Shock, horror. I instantly knew what was coming, CX had done an aircraft switch on me to a 2-class plane. I had read about this lately on FT, as some CX customers are not too happy that this occurs frequently. I checked FT and learned that some people were seeing compensation in the region of 1500 HKD, but those were flights originating out of HKG. MNL tickets are much cheaper so I wasn't expecting much.
After an hour the first lounge warden appeared, and I gave her my passport and itinerary and she would see to that my BP was fetched. I did not mention what would happen, as she might be unaware herself.
It was a man who had the task of informing me in grave voice that “Mr. view, I know that you are booked in First Class with us today, but..”. He already had my new BP ready, along with 3000 pesos compensation. That is of course almost nothing, so I asked how much that was worth in USD and he had to go and check. Meanwhile I checked myself online, and decided I would try for the HKD1500 mark.
He came back, trying to sell me his very generous compensation deal, but as we argued a little between us he went back to check on my HKD demand. Coming sulky looking back, he apologised and said this was all they could do in MNL, and it was after all very generous. He then went on to say that this was only a goodwill gesture, and that he would fax the HK office to have my fare difference refunded. Well, I wasn’t going to get CX to send another aircraft with a FC section after all, so I accepted the offer, signing to an agreement that I would not file a lawsuit or something to that effect.

The F section slowly filled as the late afternoon haze settled over Nino Aquino, I don’t know if anyone else was downgraded but I think most were status members in Marco Polo Club or another OW programme.

MNL-HKG
CX918 Business class (invol downgrade)
Dep. 17.50
A330-300
Seat 12A

I boarded late, as I was now not really looking forward to this flight anymore, all hopes of Krug had long since left my mind. This Airbus A333 has a regional 2-2-2 business class configuration, with reclining type seats. There is a personal IFE, but for this 1 hour 50 minute flight I did not see the point. I settled in, had a pre-take off juice and read the South China Morning Post.
For my meal I had a halibut with steamed vegetables and some dry chardonnay. This flight was not really bad in any way, and naturally miles ahead of any two hour business class offering in Europe, I just knew that I had much finer things in store later the same evening. So I hit the old manual recliner and got some shuteye, dreaming of my next flight.

CX regional business seat

Last edited by view; Mar 12, 2009 at 12:56 am
Old Mar 10, 2009, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

HKG

HKG is a very easy airport to navigate, though it has some pretty long walking distances. It was a brisk 10 minute walk to the transfer desk from my gate. First, I was off to see the Cathay people about a downgrade compensation. I knew the guy at MNL who promised HKG station would help me was not being truthful, and naturally all they could offer me was contact info to customer relations. I later wrote them a letter, and received a one-sector, one-class complimentary upgrade to be used in all booking classes. I was happy about that.

Then I went on to the Singapore Airlines transfer desk, to be handed the coveted dark red boarding pass. I was in seat 2F as requested and they re-confirmed my choice for Book the Cook, a lobster thermidor.

Having done my homework on SQtalk, I knew that the superior lounge option available to SQ premium flyers at HKG is the Virgin Clubhouse. At the Clubhouse I was warmly greeted after the lady had jotted down all my flight info, presumably so they can charge SQ later. First of all, I wanted a shower after many hours on the road today. It was 8.30PM and I’d been up since 6.AM that morning when I started from BKK. The Clubhouse shower was a wonderful rainfall shower, and there was a nice selection of soaps and lotions available, can’t remember the brand though.

Afterwards I entered the bar area, and was immediately approached by a waitress to take my drink order. I opted for the Taittinger Champagne, and ordered a spicy duck salad from the menu. There were few guests at the time, so the staff kept hovering and wanted to refill my glass constantly. I didn’t want to be impolite, so I went along

After perusing the British newspapers, I decided I wanted to do a little lounge hopping. I skipped the United Airlines RCC, and went to the Thai Royal First lounge. After photocopying my BP they let me into the First class section which was basically cordoned off by a rope. It was actually a bit crowded in there, and I didn’t really like the layout. I wasn’t offered any a la carte options, nor did the buffet seem to offer much other than the usual dim sum fare. I know other posters have said this is the best Star lounge at HKG, but I couldn’t quite get comfortable and ended up leaving pretty soon after.

My next plan was a trek across the pier and a visit to the Silver Kris lounge. This SKL is pretty average, and offers no views, in fact no windows at all. The SKL C and F are identical, save for a better food and beverage selection in the F section. The C lounge was half-full, but I was alone in the F lounge. I decided to skip any more alcohol, or food in anticipation of my forthcoming onboard service, and just had a coffee and a small cup of lovely Haagen-Dazs ice cream. The lounge has a couple of computers with internet access, and lots of chairs. There are several hot dishes available, and dim sum, snacks, ice cream and beers, wines and spirits. The Champagne on offer was Piper-Heidsieck. There was a slight delay this evening, so the man at the front desk came around and informed me as such. He announced boarding shortly after, and I left my lonely SKL F and headed along to the gate with the SKL C crowd.

Pictures:
Virgin Clubhouse entrance
All my luggage in the Clubhouse shower room
Virgin Clubhouse Hong Kong
Clubhouse seen from the patio outside

Silver Kris First Class lounge
SKL F bar
SKL F Champagne

Last edited by view; Mar 12, 2009 at 12:57 am
Old Mar 10, 2009, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Enjoyed the review and photos, especially the sunset photo.

Yep, lots of security for El Al flights.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 4:31 am
Original Poster

HKG-SFO
SQ2 First class
Dep. 22.45
Boeing 747-400
Seat 2F

Upon boarding my BP beeped, and for abrief moment I got that tingling sensation when you think perhaps you’re getting an upgrade. But I was already in First. The gate informed me that my overhead reading light was not functioning, and they had reserved 2D for me. Not the best start, but I was very keen on the window 2F I had reserved, and said that I would see how it goes.

I boarded the F bridge, and could feel myself anticipating a great flight ahead. Warmly greeted at the door and ushered to my seat, there were already 4 people in the F cabin, all from SIN. I got my Ipod, Bose QC2, book, laptop and settled in. I was immediately offered a pre-departure drink. Informed the male FA that I would like some Champagne, and he inquired would I prefer Dom og Krug. I knew the service was going to be top-notch, despite the hard product showing its age.

A lovely Singapore girl presented my menu and welcomed me. The male FA returned with a bottle of Krug that was full, I commented that it was a fresh botted and he obliged “I just popped it, Sir”. Heaven. Orders for drinks once we got in the air was also taken, I suggested they keep the Krug coming until further notice.

All the heavies were lined up at HKG, several BA birds, JAL, LH, SQ, QF and of course CX. A smooth take-off and we were ready to start the show on-board.

Socks, shades, amenity kit from Salvatore Ferragamo and a sleeper suit from Givenchy all handed out while I was nibbling honey roasted almonds and sipping Krug. The Singapore Girl came to go over my menu choices, and confirming my Lobster Thermidor which I booked as BTC. I said everything looked good on the menu but I did not know how I would be able to eat everything, I was reassured by a beautiful Singapore smile proclaiming that this was a long flight so no worries.

Dinner service started with crab meat, followed by beef broth soup and then salad. My main was the BTC lobster, which was excellent. This was followed by cheese and then fruit. I had Krug with everything except the chesse, for that I chose the old Tawny port. This brings me up to 5 glasses of Krug, which I felt was enough for now, I’d already had Champagne on my CX flight followed by two glasses of Taittinger in the Virgin Clubhouse.

Following all the courses I had a nice cup of freshly brewed Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee, and a glass of Johnny Walker Blue to finish things off. Meanwhile I was watching Sex and the city movie, which was alright to pass the time, at least I could concentrate on the food instead of the movie.

I changed into my sleeper suit, and when I got back the bed was made and a bottle of water ready by my side. Excellent. I dozed off quickly and slept for a while, forgot to check the time when I fell asleep but I was woken 4 hours before landing by turbulence. Then I changed back into my clothes, watched the latest Batman movie and ordered my breakfast.

Delicious fresh fruit to start with along with coffee and orange juice, followed by yoghurt and some rolls. For my main breakfast course of freshly prepared scrambled eggs, tomato, mushroom and sausage I opted for Krug once again. It was after all evening in San Francisco when I landed, and the Singapore girl agreed wholeheartedly.

The crew kept topping up my glass so I was on my 3rd glass for breakfast when we started descent into SFO.

How I longed for this trip to prolong, I wouldn’t mind having many more hours left. I told the FA it was too bad it was all coming to an end, and he said I might get lucky and have a little extension due to SFO traffic.

Overall the crew was excellent, as expected. They could not be more helpful, curteous and they have that little knack of knowing what you need at every given time. That was at least the way I felt, but maybe I’m easy to read (keep topping of my Krug and you’ll see me smile

The hard product was worn and starting to look its age, the fellow in 2A had to switch seats due to faulty reading lights. Some bits were loose or starting to come off, and some paint was peeling if you looked closely. SQ is phasing out these last 747’s for the new 77W and A388 product at the moment, but I must say there is something special about sitting in the nose of a 747, the environment feels very private and exclusive, the views are good and it feels good to know that no one is seated in front of you. Not even the pilots.

When the SQ girl came around to collect the menus I asked to keep it, and she happily obliged, took the paper menu out of the leather folder and handed it to me; enquiring if it was my first time in SQ First. I replied that it was and that I was exceedingly happy with the experince. They hoped to see me again, she said and thanked me for my custom. I hoped to see them again, too.

Immigration was a breeze, no one in line as I was one of the first off the aircraft. Quickly got a shuttle to the Embassy Suites, where I got a nice room to crash for the night.

Pictures:
Krug welcome drink
Alaskan crabmeat with mango starter
Cantonese beef broth
Cheese and port
SFO arrivals
SQ F amenity kit

HKG-SFO First class menu

SUPPER
From HONG KONG TO SAN FRANCISCO

APPETISERS

Oven-baked warm bamboo clam with pesto veloute and cheese

Salad of marinated Alaskan crabmeat with mango

SOUPS

Cream of aspargus garnished with roasted pinenuts

Double-broil Cantonese beef broth with turnip and carrot

SALAD

Butter lettuce heart with baby cress and cherry tomato
Balsamic and virgin olive oil dressing
Singapore dressing infused in shallot oil sambal, lime and honey

MAIN COURSES

Seared beef fillet in barolo wine sauce with grilled vegetables and potatoes

Braised wanton noodles with dried prawn roe and oyster sauce served with conpoy dumplings in soup

Seared Chilean bass in vanilla veloute, roasted vegetables and sauteed pea shoots

Braised beancurd with vegetables and fried vegetable rice

DESSERTS
Almond tuile shell with ice cream and berries

CHEESES
Lactos blue, boursin, emmenthal and brie cheeses served with garnishes

FRUITS
Fresh fruits in season

shi quan shi mei
"a complete and perfect chinese culinary experience"

COLD XIAO CHI
Lobster with picked bamboo shoot
Chicken with szechuan cucumber salad
Pork belly with rice noodle
Beancurd with black sesame in xo sauce

SOUP
Beef with turnip and carrot soup

CUISINE FROM THE WOK
Cantonese style braised abalone
"Kwai fa" steamed chicken
Braised five spice beef short rib
Stir fried kailan with red capsicum

FROM THE PADDYFIELD
Choice of steamed rice or porridge

A SWEET NOTE
Warm sesame crepe with banana-lotus paste, sesame ice-cream and strawberry coulis

---------------------------

LIGHT BITES

NOODLES
Fish ball noodle soup
Noodles in broth served with fish balls and fish cakes

SANDWICHES
Reuben sandwich

Focaccia bread with roasted vegetables and cheese

SNACKS
Cashew, almond or macadamia nuts

Chips

Cookies

Chocolate bar

Snack bar

A selection from the fruit basket

BEFORE TOUCHDOWN

TO START WITH
A choice of apple, tomato or freshly squeezed orange juice

FRUITS
Fresh fruits with cottage cheese

STARTERS
Choice of cereal or yoghurt
Cornflakes with milk or granola with yoghurt-berry compote
Plain or fruit yoghurt

ENTREES
Prawn dumpling congee
Rice porridge served with prawns and prawn meatballs topped with deep fried Chinese cruellers

Braised ee-fu noodles with chicken and leafy greens

Grilled chicken in jus with sauteed mushrooms, roasted tomato and potatoes

Fresh eggs prepared on board (baked, soft boiled or scrambled)
With your choice of bacon, beef sausage, vine-ripened tomato, mushrooms and potato cake

FROM THE BAKERY
Assorted breakfast pastries and bread with butter, jam, marmalade or honey

-------------------------------

HKG-SFO Drinks list

champagnes & wines

CHAMPAGNES

Dom Pérignon 2000

Krug Grande Cuvée

WHITE WINES

Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2007 Marlborough New Zealand

Sonoma Cutrer Chardonnay 2005 Russian River California

RED WINES

Chateu Leoville-Poyferre 2001 Saint-Julien

Dry Creek Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 Dry Creek Vally California

PORT

Dow's 20 Year Old Tawny Port Portugal

MIX OF THE MONTH

Tropical Sparkle
A refreshing-yet-fruity blend of lime cordial and 7-up with orange & tomato juice

SINGAPORE AIRLINES' UNIQUE CREATIONS

Silver Kris Sling
One of our special touches made with gin, Cointreau and orange and pineapple juice, topped with champagne

Alspritzer
A sparkling mix of vodka shaken with apple and 7-up

Solitaire Dreams
A cool concoction of rum, pineapple juice and a Sling mix with ginger ale

Sunrise Breezer
A refreshing blend of sake and bitter lemon

Sweetness in Darkness
A unique mix of red wine and a splash of coke

Vodka Flush
A tantalising drink of vodka, apple juice and bitter lemon, topped with 7-up

Apple Bliss
An appetising and refreshing blend of apple juice and bitter lemon, topped with 7-up

Awaiting the Golden Dawn
A healthy, refreshing mix of pineapple, tomato and orange juice

Tropical Fizz
An invigorating concotion of pineapple juice and bitter lemon

ALL-TIME FAVOURITES

Singaspore sling
Synonymous with the Lion City since the early 1900s, this classic cocktail is made with dry gin, DOM Benedictine, cherry brandy, Angostura bitters and grenadine, mixed with lime and pineapple juice

Screwdriver
A classic conoction of vodka and orange juice

Fruit Spritzer
A simple-yet-delightful thirst-quenching mix of juice and 7-up

Orange Cooler
A light tangy drink created from orange juice anf ginger ale with a touch of lime cordial

APPETISING APERITIFS

Campari

Dry Vermouth

spirits

Macallan 12 years old Single Malt Whisky

Cognac XO - Hennessy

Johnnie Walker Blue Label

Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey

Bombay Sapphire Gin

Smirnoff Red Label Vodka

Bacardi Superior

LIQUEURS

Cointreau

Baileys Original Irish Cream

Choya Umeshu

BEER

Tiger

Budweiser

beverages

GOURMET COFFEES

Brazil Santos Bourbon

Colombian Supremo

Jamaican Blue Mountain

Kenyan AA Kilimanjaro

TEA SELECTION

Pure Ceylon Tea

Earl Grey

Darjeeling

Camomile

Decaffinated tea

Fruit tea

Japanese Green Tea

Mint Tea

Indian Masala Tea

CHINESE TEA SELECTION

Jasmine

Oolong

Tie Guan Yin

Long Jin

Pi Lo Chun

SPECIALTY COFFEES

Brewed coffee

Café Royal

Espresso

Cappucino

Café Latte

Café au Lait

Decaffinated Coffee

Mocha

OTHER BEVERAGES

Chocolate

Ovaltine

Milo

Soya Bean Milk

MINERAL WATER

Sparkling

Still

FRUIT JUICES

Apple

Pineapple

Tomato

Cranberry

SOFT DRINKS

Bitter Lemon

Coke

Coke Light

Ginger Ale

7-UP

MILK

Full cream

Low fat
Old Mar 13, 2009, 5:52 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Nice report and pictures. Thank you ^
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

SFO-YVR
AC561 Executive class
Dep. 07.15AM
Embraer 190
Seat 3A

Got the 5.30 AM shuttle back to Terminal 3, was quickly checked in by a Swedish lady actually at the Air Canada Executive Class check-in.

Shoes off and quickly past the shouting TSA’s, I went to the RCC for a coffee and a yoghurt before my flight. The RCCs rate as the poorest lounges in Star alliance that I have experienced, though this one did have a nice lay-out and design, with lots of oakwood and a sort of grand club style interior. Food and drink offerings very limited as usual in domestic RCCs.

Boading 30 minutes before departure, I was quickly onboard the Embraer 190 to secure storage for my roll-abord and laptop case, as I know how much carry-on people bring on domestic flights. Settled in 3A, which is a single seat on the lefthand side. Row 3 has limited recline though, which is nice to know if you’re planning on getting some sleep. Papers, drinks and hot towels served airborne, and I had a chesse and ham croissant and some fresh fruit for breakfast. Played around with the excellent enRoute AVOD that AC has, and was able to charge my laptop as well without an adaptor.

Scenic views of snowy mountains as we approached Vancouver, the captain informed us of fine conditions and 2 degrees celcius. Rather cold considering how I was armed with flip flops and short sleeved shirts in my baggage, I was not staying long.

Pictures:
SFO RCC breakfast
A fellow E90 jet at gate SFO
Sun coming up as we're leaving SFO
Tails in the sunrise SFO
SFO tower
Take-off from SFO
Air Canada Executive Class breakfast
Vancouver and the mighty mountains
YVR tower

Last edited by view; Aug 31, 2009 at 1:24 pm
Old Mar 14, 2009, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

YVR

The Canadian immigration official did not like my itinerary, commenting “ do you know how awkward your itinerary is?” when I gave him the entire routing. I considered apologising for making his life difficult, but thought he might not be in the mood for jokes/sarcastic comments. This is the downside of doing turnarounds in this part of the world. On exiting I went for a walk outside the airport, it was a sunny and cool day. Having not dressed for the weather I quickly went inside and checked in at the United First counter. US immigration forms have to be filled out before departure here, as the border control is actually in the Canadian airports. This is normal in Canada and because the flights arrive in domestic terminals in the US I think, but still it feels a little odd.

The check-in agent invited me to visit the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge. There are 3 such MLL’s in YVR, but I would only have access to the transborder one, the other ones are in the domestic and international terminals. The MLL was good, and way better than the RCC I visited that morning. Nice and airy with tarmac views. The lounge attendant told me about wifi, foods coming soon and about the drink selection, commenting that everything was complimentary. As it should be if you ask me, but all the UA customers are probably not used to that I guess.

There was breakfast service when I arrived, and a little later the lunch selection was rolled out, including cream chicken soup, breads and salads. The alcohol selection was made available at this time as well, 11.00AM so don’t expect any drinks if you arrive earlier than that. Wine, spirits and beer on tap and cans offered.

YVR-SFO
UA1137 First class
Dep. 13.14
Airbus A319
Seat 2D

Priority boarding for Global Services, 1K and First enforced, North America is usually very good at elite boarding in my experience. A319 service to SFO, in nice conditions. FA used names to take lunch orders, I chose the hot option of pastrami sandwich and a beer. No power outlet in the seats unfortunately.
The sandwich was surprisingly good, a very tasty pastrami on rye bread with melted cheese and mustard. This was served alongside some bulgur or something, and a warm cookie. White tablecloth and refills offered, this was better than expected I must admit. It probably helps that the crew was wonderful and very service minded, it can make or break a flight. Had another beer to finish things off and settled back to read a paperback.

Pictures:
Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge
MLL slumberettes
My MLL lunch
Take-off from YVR
Mighty Canadian mountains
Holding pattern over SFO
Old Mar 14, 2009, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

SFO

I was rising bright and early today, and as my body clock was completely out of wack I was awake at 4AM. Tried to snooze, did some reading but was leaving the Hyatt SFO by 7AM. No free breakfast at the hotel so I decided againt blowing $30 as I wasn’t too hungry and had my hopes set for the lounge. Turns out check-in did not open until 7.50 AM so I had one final American breakfast of egg, bacon and pancakes, washed down with black coffee.

Checked in by a lovely ANA agent, they all seemed japanese which perhaps is a prerequisite. I had pre-reserved 15A in Club ANA, which they call their business class. I originally wanted a window in rows 3 or 5 but they were all taken. 15A was recommended by the agent, it’s a bulk head in the aft mini-cabin. I was assured that 15B was open today, so I would definitely have a nice time there. Great!

I was advised that NH use the RCC at SFO, I had forgotten to check this (very non-FTish of me, I know) and was rather dissapointed. I asked if there were any other Star lounges, and luckily there was a SKL, but it was not open for another hour so I checked out the RCC. It was typical RCC fashion, lots of wood panels and lots of seats, but hardly much else except for 2 drink vouchers. Just like the domestic RCC in offerings. The upside was nice views of the apron, and all the UA heavies lined up at the international terminal. I love the airside views, this is a redeeming feature of the lounge as I always enjoy a view. No free wi-fi, that was for UA C and F customers only. When enquiring, they said “no, All Nippon doesn’t pay us for that”. That is exactly the attitude I expect of any RCC, the places are so focused on being profit centres in their own right that the lounge concept of providing a nice, relaxing haven for customers is completely forgotten. In stead I am irritated by the $9.95 fee and don’t pay up as a matter of principle. In comparison, every single other lounge visited on this trip offered free Wi-fi for all customers. This is a no-brainer in 2008. The bar lady came past me and commented “Not a drinker, eh?” on seeing my 2 unused vouchers. I responded “not yet”, but seeing how the other customers were happily drinking away before 9AM in the morning, I did like any good viking would do, finsihed off my drink chits and left the place. Went for a stroll in the terminal, seeing only UA heavies at this time. Another thing about the RCC is that the you’re expected to tip the bar staff. I know the American culture of tipping and always do that when I pay for something in a restaurant, but in this place too… it’s supposed to be free?!

The Singapore Airlines SKL opened at 9 AM so I promtly headed over there, showed my Star gold card and was welcomed in and reminded that NH flights were not called in the lounge. It was deserted, I was the first guest this morning. Finally, a lounge that had some good offerings. Full selection of beer, wine and spirits, breakfast of sandwiches, free wi-fi and things that one comes to expect of a proper lounge in Europe and Asia. I had a sandwich, coffee and a baileys, since I’d already had 2 drinks in the RCC I figured why not. Went to gate 101 just as pre-boarding was announced for premium passengers. Was welcomed and bowed to 4 or 5 times on my way from the gate to the aircraft, it’s incredible to experience Japanese hospitality like that.

Pictures:

United Airlines Red Carpet Club SFO
My ride to Narita, NH 777-300ER
UA 747-400
Food and drink section in Silver Kris Lounge
SKL seating
Old Mar 14, 2009, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

SFO-NRT
TG6095 (NH007 operated by NH) Club ANA
Dep. 10.50AM
Boeing 777-300ER
Seat 15A

I entered through door 2L, saw the mini-front business cabin and First Class to my left, while I headed down right in the main business class cabin before settling in 15A in the aft mini cabin, being bowed to a few more times for good measure. One of the (many) female FAs showed me my seat, and wanted to help me put my carry-on in the overhead locker, but I couldn’t let that petite Japanese hurl my most probably overweight luggage so I did it while she supervised.

As doors closed, I noticed I was the only passengers in the aft mini-cabin. I was having my own cabin on this flight! I also knew ANA is a proper premium airline that protects the intergrity of their premium cabins, meaning we won’t see people being moved forward after take-off and that kind of thing. I had my own private safety demonstration, and we both could not help but smile at it.

As we taxied at SFO the SQ 77W of SQ15 was waiting for us as they were using the same gate. Beautiful aircraft, and definitely on my list to try out in a premium cabin. NZ 77W just landed as well.

A quick and powerfull take-off roll and we were off, love the take-offs with such mighty engines!

Once in the air I commented to one of the FA’s that I had my own cabin, she laughed and said I was lucky and thay they usually had many more passengers upfront. We had a little chat about ANA, and I told her this was my first time with them and really looked forward to the service. We talked some more about Tokyo, Japan and my future plans to visit. She closed off saying we would have plenty more time to get aquainted as there were so few passengers in business, approx 20 in total.

My adapter would not fit the socket as it was too big, so I asked if they had one on board. Turns out they had cords for the most usual laptop makes, and I could have it for the duration of the flight. Even happier then! I was served green tea, which was OK but I’m not a big fan of cold tea.

With the hors d’ouvre I tried the Umeshu, excellent Japanese plum wine which is refreshing and a bit fruity. This was topped up twice, as the FA’s seems to enjoy that I liked the Japanese drink. I wowed to make this a Japanse style flight for myself, and opted for the full Japanese meal option.

This was dubbed the Kaiseki course, and started off with simmered prawns, scallop, saury fish and fishkake. All very nice and fresh, I was going to enjoy this. I had Umeshi with this appetizer as well.

For the main course which is served hot, I had the recommended sake Senkin, nice and a tad fruity. I had little chats with the FA’s every time they served me food or beverage, and they especially took care to explain all the Japanesed things I had. My main was simmered yellowtail fish and daikon radish in soy sauce, very succulent. I finished things off with the ice cream parfait, a cup of coffee and Baileys.

As I was commenting one of the FAs on the sake, she suggested I should try the other one they had as well, the Nishinoseki. I could’nt be rude and refuse, so I had that one as well

Settled down to 88 Minutes starring Al Pacino, during which the lights were dimmed and blinds shut. I decided I should try for some sleep myself, not really feeling sleep because it was the middle of the day. I did manage 3,5 hours in the lie-flat seat, to my surprise, I guess Sake can have that effect on you. Upon waking I felt a little peckish, and ordered the pulled pork sandwich and some Asahi beer. The sandwich was OK, but not much more, guess I should have gone for one of the Japanese options. The beer was better though, so I had seconds of that. 3 hours out of Tokyo now, according to ANA’s very nice 3D flight map.

I am not used to the very polite attitude of the crew, when I hit the call-button they thank me for waiting (I waited 5 seconds, tops) and apologise for keeping me waiting when ordering food (waited 3 minutes).

Overall I was very pleased with the flight, of course much extra attention was lavished upon me due to the low number of C-class passengers, and I very much enjoyed all the chatting with the female FA’s on a range of subjects. Nice to see the FA’s still working as hard and not just congregating in the galley like might happen on certain other airlines.

Had the Japanese option for meal before landing as well, nice this one too. Accompanied by Chardonnay from Napa Valley. Spent som more time chatting with the crew, who seemed happy to have something to do. The crew bowed me goodbye and hoped to see me again soon, as I departed through 1L, getting to check out the very good looking First class suites I hope to try someday.

Pictures:

Club ANA aft mini cabin, all to myself
Club ANA main cabin
15A bulkhead has plenty of space
Hors d'oeuvres and Umeshu
Kaiseki course
Kaiseki pt 2
Ice cream parfait
Light snack, pulled pork sandwich
Petite Japanse course before landing
Club ANA seat reclined
My "camp site" for 12 hours
Landing at Narita

Last edited by view; Aug 31, 2009 at 1:30 pm
Old Mar 14, 2009, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

SFO-NRT Club ANA Autumn menu

YOUR FIRST MEAL

Kaiseki Course

Zensai
Simmered prawn
Golden brown scallop
Salt-grilled saury fish
Fishcake with beans
Cured persimmon

Kobachi
Braised tofu and vegetable patty in savory daikon radish soy sauce

Shusai
Simmered yellowtail fish and daikon radish in special soy sauce

Sunomono
Octopus and surf clam salad tossed with Tosa vinegar

Steamed rice

Miso soup and assorted pickles

Dessert
ANA's original parfait, mixed berries ala mode
Fresh seasonal fruit
Cheese

---------------------------

YOUR FIRST MEAL

International Course

Foir gras pate with pear compotes and fresh garden salad

Pan-fried beef tenderloin with mushroom duxelles and demi-glace (442kcal)

Sesame-crusted sea bream with herb olive oil sauce (481kcal)

*Autumn vegetable quiche with creamy broccoli puree (371kcal)
* a vegetable-centric selection

Two kinds of bread with a choice of Isigny butter or extra-virgin olive oil

ANA's original parfait, mixed berries ala mode

Fresh seasonal fruit

-----------------------

Snack menu

A selection of snacks is also available at any time

Bowl of hot Japanese udon noodles with wild mountain vegetables and fried tofu

ANA's original ramen (cup of instant Chinese Lamian noodles)

Toasted pork cutlet sandwich

Cup of hot consomme soup

--------------------

BEFORE YOU ARRIVE

Petite Japanese course

Bowl of rice topped with seasoned salmon flakes and salmon roe
Assortment of delicacies
Fruit Compotes

Petite International course

Classic beef stew
Bread roll
Fruit Compotes
Old Mar 14, 2009, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

NRT

Narita was a dream to transit, I needed to change terminals as my next flight was on JAL, and this took me no more than 5 minutes. They have special buses running between the terminals for passengers coming off an international connection, and it's pretty fun as you get close to the planes and can snap som pics. I was able to pick up my boading pass at the JAL transfer counter in T2, while I was assigned 10K on the 747, this is on the lower deck as the upper deck is economy.

My new BP allowed me to enter the marvelous JAL Sakura Lounge, the main lounge in T2. Very nice and spacious over two floors. Free wifi naturally, as I tested out the beer pouring machine (very cool) and had a look around. Slumberettes, lots of power outlets, nice selection of beers, wines and spirits on the main floor. On the second floor they had a nice buffet where I had some tasty curry special with condiments. From the manned bar upstairs I chose a glass of Bordaux to accomany my dish. Even better views up here of the tarmac action.

Pictures:

Transferring to T2
Sakura lounge
Sakura lounge, cold one
Sakura lounge seating
Sakura lounge dining section
Japanese curry
View from Sakura lounge

Last edited by view; Mar 14, 2009 at 5:00 pm
Old Mar 14, 2009, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

NRT-MNL
JL745 (operated by JALWays) Executive Seasons Class
Dep. 18.20
Boeing 747-400
Seat 10K

I hopped on the Skytrain to T2 satellite, where my flight was leaving from, but seeing the scrum of people crowding the gate area I decided to head into the Sakura lounge close to my gate for refuge.

I walked over in time for the boarding time written on my BP, but there were even more people as the girls at the gate were running around trying to sort out the wheelchair passengers. I lined up in the business class queue which was pretty short. Once onboard, I felt like I'd stepped into a 70's movie, talk about retro. Old style cradle seats with hardly any recline. This flight was operated by Jalways for JAL, and apparently Jalways is a regional/lower cost
part of JAL, and is where JAL dumps all its aircraft before retirement. This aging 747-400 was in a 3-class layout, with first class in the nose section, followed by business between doors 1 and 2 and the rest of the aircraft
economy, including the upper deck. There is no First class sold for this route, so I think they JAL elites are seated in the first class section.

2-2 config in first, 2-3-2 config in business. This reminded me of my first long haul business flight in BA then Club World cradle seat in 1993, except the recline was better in the BA seats There was AVOD, which was
surprising, and the service was good in a Japanese way. I kind of enjoyed this aircraft, but for regular business travelers I'm sure they're not too happy with this stuff.

Had the western dinner option of Flounder and prawns, skipped the salad, cheese and dessert, settling on coffee and cognac. I had champagne as aperitif, it was Piper-Heidsieck. The cabin was only half full, yet the FAs went to the trouble of labelling seats based on meal choice, and I got a funny looking fish on my seat.

Slept for the rest of the flight, and touched down on time at Nino Aquino. Business passengers were quickly off as door 1L was used for us, while the back had to wait for 2L to be connected. Meaning there was no immigration queue and I was in a taxi the Renaissance Makati City in no time.

Pictures:
Business class cabin
Welcome drink (served after take-off)
Dinner service
Café avec

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.