Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Passion or Addiction? (Another RTW, plus other bits and bobs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passion or Addiction? (Another RTW, plus other bits and bobs)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
It is Africa and South America they ask about. So far MEL, BNE and CNS have these machines but not SYD. AKL even has a few (one outside the QF lounge and 2 more before you reach gates 2 & 4 on the upper level) so trans-tasman pax can do this bit on the way to the a/c to save even more time ^
I did notice the one outside the lounge in AKL. Do you know if NZ are going to use the same technology in the future for arrivals into the country?

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
F purser on 2-class a/c?
Oops. Have corrected this now.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
It's seems our intrepid OP landed into Pier C at SYD. They do not have the 'biometric' (aka SmartGate) machines there but certainly have had them the pier A/B immigration.

Strange there was no Personal DVD offered on the 73H flight to SYD ... they normally have them loaded for Trans-Tasman in J

(BTW: "We landed at 15:32 on the left most runway and stopped our roll about as far away from our gate as you could possibly get at SYD" - hate landing to the South on the "3rd" runway in SYD. )
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Part 27 SYD -JNB - LHR

The Photos

With my suitcase full of Aussie goodies I checked out of the Westin SYD and grabbed a cab to the international terminal at SYD. I do like the way you have to virtually circumnavigate the whole airport in order to get to the International terminal. It adds a nice little extra to the coffers of the cab drivers in SYD.

I received a voice mail on my mobile from F special services at QF whilst I was flying in from AKL asking to call them for a range of services available to F passengers. However by the time I received the message it was late in the day so I didn’t bother.
It did strike me as a little stupid that they called my mobile phone whilst I was in the air on a flight on the same PNR as the one they were calling me about.

I did not see a dedicated F check-in entrance like in MEL (perhaps I should have called F special services?) so I just walked inside.

I found the F check-in desks and approached the empty desk. I asked the agent if he could check my bag through to London. He asked for the flight details and I handed over my note with the PNR and flight number on it. He faffed about for a while and said he was able to and printed a BP for the SYD-JNB sector and baggage tags through to London.

He gave me the e-Track pass, BP and baggage claim ticket in a Gold folder and sent me on my way. I was able to get through immigrations quickly with the e-Track form and then was directed to a no queue security screening. Once through I made a bee-line for the QF lounge.

The downstairs dragon was chatting on his mobile phone so I just flashed my BP at him and walked on by. At the top of the escalators the agent asked me if I wanted to book a spa treatment which I declined.

I asked if there was a pharmacy somewhere airside. She said there wasn’t but she could get the concierge to go landside if I needed a script filled. I said I just needed some cold and flu drugs. She suggested the NewsLink store near my gate.
I then went in search of somewhere to store my roll aboard for a while. I asked one of the restaurant staff where I could store my bag and he said he would look after it if I just placed it near the restaurant.#
I then went out again and purchased my cold and flu tabs. For some odd reason I seem to almost always catch a cold when I go to Oz.

Anyways back in the lounge it was time for some breakfast. I opted for some fresh fruit juice, sparkling water, a coffee and some Eggs Benedict.

The wait staff were very attentive and offered re-fills of both coffee and juice during my meal. It was probably the best Benedict I had eaten for quite a while and unlike the CR at LHR they actually know what an English Muffin is.

After breakfast I decided to log on and see if I could OLCI for my JNB-LHR flight. Oh no it told me I needed to get my BP at the airport. This usually means something is not right with the e-ticket.
I knew the booking was confirmed as the agent was able to check my bag through. As it was an AA award flight I then found AA’s local number to ring and find out the score. “Our lines are open 8 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday. Well a lot of bloody good that does me when I need assistance on a Sunday.

I then rang BA’s local number. Same useless story there. OK I will use my calling card to call the US or UK. I called the 1800 number “sorry due to congestion on the line we are not able to place your call”. OFFS what does one have to do in order to sort a freakin’ ticket out on a Sunday!!!!!!!!!

Oh well there was nothing more I could do so I just decided to see what happens when I get to JNB.

As I was waiting in the lounge I noticed the QF Guppie pulling up to the gate just below the First Lounge. It seems a few more people did also and there was soon a line of happy snappers taking pictures of the beast.

As the boarding time on my BP approached and then went on by I noticed that our flight still did not show as boarding. A short time later an announcement was made that boarding was delayed and they expected it to start in 15 minutes.
I waited in the lounge until boarding was called and then proceeded down to the gate.

There was a long queue for the civilians but there was a dedicated F, J and FF Elite passenger line to the right. My passport and BP were checked and I was sent on my way with a ‘Have a pleasant flight Mr Moomba’.

Flight QF63 SYD-JNB Seat 1K
Aircraft: 747-400
Departure time: 10:30

Once on board my jacket was taken and I was offered a drink along with some nuts or olives.

As the boarding slowed down I noticed that seat 2A was still empty. I asked one of the crew if I could move over there and he said wait until after take off and if it is still free I could.

The captain announced that engineering wanted to, as a precautionary measure, replace on of the oil gauge transmitters on number 1 engine. This would involve getting the part from store fitting it, running the engine for 3 minutes, checking that there were not leaks and then we would be ready to go.

So we waited.

The FA I had asked about the seat swap came by and said I could move. I said to him that 4K seemed to be travelling with 1A and might want to move into my 1K seat. I moved then she moved and then suddenly from down the back two teenage girls managed to be moved up to the now empty 4K and 2F. Not sure where they came from but I am sure they were happy. This left us with a full cabin of 14 F passengers.

At 11:00 we were still waiting and the captain appeared at the front of the F cabin and personally apologised for the delay and explained what was happening and why. Very nice gesture.

Whilst waiting my champagne glass was re-filled. Oh I didn’t tell you I was drinking champagne earlier did I? Ahh you probably guessed anyway.

The CSM came on the horn and apologised for the delay again and informed us once we got airborne we would have a flying time of 13 hours and 18 minutes.

We eventually pushed back at 11:28 and taxied to the northern end of the runway which was not far away at all. The engines roared and we were hurtling down the runway at 11:38 heading south and pretty much staying in that direction for the next few hours.

The first officer came on the blower and told us our routing would be quite unusual today as we would head south over the north western section of Tasmania and down to a latitude of 58 degrees. Then we would be on the ascent and head on up to Johannesburg from the south.

The crew came around asking for drinks orders and delivering the canapés for the pre-meal drinks service.

I of course asked for the champagne which on today’s flight was Dom Perignon 2000.

After everyone was happily imbibing the CSM came around and apologised for the delay and handed out the menus for the flight.

Lunch:

Canapes:

Tartlet of Feta with Pine Nuts, Raisins and Joseph’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Seared Hiramasa Kingfish with Lemon and Coriander Vinaigrette

Salad and Other Things:
Cream of Asparagus Soup with Croutons

Meredith Goats Cheese, Olive and Leaf Salad

Salad Caprese with Roast Organic Tomatoes and Buffalo Mozzarella

Schultz Bacon and Leek Tart

Light, Vegetarian and Sandwich:
Seared Blue Eye with Lemon and Olive Oil Dressing and Steamed Green Vegetables

Warm Eggplant Stack with Char Grilled Peppers and Pesto

Big bowl of Minestrone Soup with Garlic Toasts

Our signature Steak Sandwich with Tomato and Chilli Relish

Main Courses:
Seared Blue Eye Fillet
Sauce Verge, Olive Oil Mash ad Sautéed Zucchini
Garlic Butter, Potato Gratin and Spinach

Barossa Valley Chicken

Herb and Ricotta Stuffing, Tomato Vinaigrette and Potato Gratin
Herb and Ricotta Stuffing, Sweet Potato Puree and Wilted Spinach

Roast Wagyu Beef Sirloin

Condiments, Potato Gratin and Green Beans
Red Wine Jus, Sweet Potato Puree and Wilted Spinach
Garlic Butter, Zucchini and Olive Oil Mash

Side Salad:
Salad of Baby Cos, Radicchio and Frisee with your choice of dressing

Aged Balsamic and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh Lemon Juice and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Palm Sugar Vinaigrette

Cheese:
Blue, soft and hard cheese, hand selected by Will Studd, Maitre Fromager, Calender Cheese Company served with accompaniments

Dessert:
Hazelnut and Peach Crumble with Yalla Vanilla Yoghurt

Assiette of Desserts

Whole or Sliced Fresh Seasonal Fruit

Nice Cream Chocolate Coated Vanilla Ice Cream

Petits Fours:
A selection of Cacao hand made chocolates
Chocolate Raspberry Brownie
Pistachio Almond Shortbread

Wine List:

Champagne:

Dom Perignon 2000 Vintage Champagne

White Wine:
Coldstream Hills Reserve Chardonnay 2006, Yarra Valley, Victoria

Delatite ‘Deadman’s Hill’ Gewurztraminer 2006, Upper Goulburn, Victoria

S.C. Pannell Adelaide Hills Sauvignon Blanc 2007, Adelaide Hills, South Australia

Red Wine:
Henschke Mount Edelstone Shiraz 2004, Eden Valley, South Australia

Coriole Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon 2004, McLaren Vale, South Australia

Curly Flat Pinot Noir 2004, Macedon Ranges, Victoria

Dessert Wine:
Bellarmine Riesling Auslese 2007, Pemberton, Western Australia

Hot Beverages:

Giancarlo Coffee:

Caffe Latte
Cappuccino
Grinders Decaffeinated
Espresso
Flat White
Long Black
Mocha
Liqueur Coffee

T2 Tea:
English Breakfast
Peppermint
Chamomile
Sencha
Lemongrass and Ginger

Hot Chocolate

Beverages:

Aperitifs:

Bloody Mary
Campari
Noilly Prat French Dry Vermouth

Spririts:
Bacardi White Rum
Bombay Sapphire London Dry Gin
Chivas Regal 18yo Scotch Whisky
The Glenlivet 18yo Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Inner Circle (Green Dot) Dark Rum 57.2%
Wild Turkey Rare Breed 108° Bourbon
Wyborowa Single Estate Polish Vodka

Beers:
Hahn Premium Light
Crown Larger
Heineken
James Squire Golden Ale
Little Creatures Pale Ale

Liqueurs:
Baileys Irish Cream
Cointreau

Fortifieds:
Grant Burge 20yo Tawny
Morris of Rutherglen Old Premium Liqueur Tokay
Morris of Rutherglen Old Premium Liqueur Muscat

Cognac:
Martell Cordon Bleu

Non Alcoholic:
Apple Juice
Orange Juice
Sunraysia Mango Liquid Fruit
Sunraysia Pear Liquid Fruit
Spicy Tomato Juice
Tomato Juice
Mineral Water
Soda Water
Tonic Water
Bundaberg Ginger Beer
Cola
Diet Cola
Ginger Ale
Lemonade
Solo – Lemon Squash

The crew came around with a tray of the canapés so that we could partake of more if we chose to do so.

The crew did a merry dance around the cabin collecting lunch orders. I presume this had something to do with rev versus, upgrade, vs op-up order.
I was the second person to be asked on my side of the cabin and the fellow in 2E was the last one asked.

I started with the soup and stuck to the DP with that course. White and Rye sour dough rolls were offered and I had a choice of butter, olive oil or olive oil and balsamic vinegar as an accompaniment to the bread.

A second round of rolls was offered during the soup course. After the soup my table was loaded with the salad course with the balsamic dressing and the Wagyu Beef with the Red Wine Jus as my preferred option. I switched to the Shiraz at this point and was in no way disappointed with that decision.

The meal was very nice indeed and the beef extremely tender although a little over cooked for my liking. It was not quite the same experience as the JL Wagyu but very nice none the less.

I decided to forgo the dessert and opted instead for the cheese and fruit. I must say the quality of food on these QF services is top notch. Even the cheese was superb and went down well with the ever so nice Shiraz I was drinking.

Sometimes I do wonder why I left Australia with it’s abundance of wonderful food and wines to go and live in the sh’tole that is London. I suspect my addiction or is it passion has a lot to do with that though. Travel from Australia always involves a long flight whereas from London I can pop over to Europe for a weekend break.

I finished off the meal with some nice coffee and lovely chocolates.

After the meal I was suitably stuffed and settled in to watch a movie or two and some TV. The crew dimmed the lights around 3.5 hours into the fight once they were done with the meal. I didn’t want to get too much sleep on this flight as I knew I had another over-night flight coming up. I did put the seat down and get a couple of hours kip though.

Around 3.5 hours out of JNB the crew turned on the gentle blue lighting and prepared for the dinner service.

A hot towel was brought around by the crew member that had been working my side and he said the other crew member would be taking drinks orders shortly.

I asked for champagne of course. Apart from the delays at the start of the flight the only downer to the whole flight was what happened next. I was presented with a glass of flat champagne in a wine glass. I almost said ‘is that champagne?’ when I saw it as there was no bead at all. I tasted it and realised it was what I ordered but definitely not what I expected from QF F.

I drank some of it but didn’t really bother trying to finish it.

My good crew member did his dance again and took down the dinner orders.

Canapes:
Crostini with Smoked Salmon and Dill Crème Fraiche

Chilled Gazpacho Soup

Entrees:
Potato and White Bean Soup with Olive Puree

Poached Organic Chicken Salad with Sesame Miso Dressing

Main Courses:
Borlotti Bean Mousaka with Oregano and Garlic Breadcrumbs

Steamed Snapper with Black Bean Sauce, Stir Fried Vegetables and Fragrant Rice

Duck Braised in Verjuice with Fresh Gnocchi and Gremolata

Za’atar Crusted Amelia Park Lamb Fillet with Skordalia and Tabbouleh

Side Salad:
Salad of Baby Cos, Radicchio and Frisee with your choice of dressing

Aged Balsamic and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh Lemon Juice and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Palm Sugar Vinaigrette

Dessert:
Bakewell Tart with Crème Anglaise

Milk Chocolate Cake with King Island Double Cream

Slice Fresh Fruit

Petits Fours:
A selection of Cacao hand made chocolates

I started with the soup which was once again very nice. I left the remains of my champagne and drank the Shiraz again with this meal.
Again the sour dough bread was offered and replenished during the meal. My wine glass was never empty and by the end of the meal I was stuffed.

After the soup I chose the lamb and was not disappointed. I was planning on trying the chocolate cake but just could not fit any more food in me by the end of the meal.
I was quite amused when number 2 useless crew member dropped by and offered to refill my sauvignon blanc glass. I almost said it is not white wine you knob it is the flat champagne you served me. But I refrained and just declined his generous offer.

After the remains of my meal were taken away I ordered coffee and this arrived with the box of chocolates and an instruction to take one of each.

I also decided to have one last glass of sticky and asked for a small glass of the Liqueur Tokay.

After the meal there was still quite some time to go before we landed and I watched a couple of TV programs until it was time to change back into my civvies and get ready for landing.
Not long before touchdown the CSM went around to those F passengers with connecting flights and gave then details of the flights they had been rebooked onto.

We touched down at 15:58 and had to taxi for ever to get back to the terminal building and our gate.

On disembarking I thanked my crew member and went out in search of the transfers desk. When I found it there was no one manning the desk and I asked the QF agent if he could issue my BA BP. He said the BA desk should be manned at 16:30. It was only 16:20 so I waited around until someone showed up. Lots of typing and a phone call later I was told I had to pay 390 Rand more and I needed to go to the ticket desk land side in order to do so. Brilliant.

I then trudged back to immigrations and was asked if I had gotten lost when I said I had just come in on QF 63. Anyway I made it though and then traipsed a mile to get to the BA ticket desk where they took my money and then sent me to check-in.

There was a dedicated F check-in counter but it was busy when I walked up. An astute J counter staff member called me over and processed me for the BA flight to LHR.

I then went through to security where there we no queues and then waited a couple of minutes before being let out of South Africa by the emigrations staff.

It was off to the new BA Galleries lounge complex for nice shower. I was hot, sticky and tired by this time and needed to unwind. It was 17:05 by the time I made it to the lounge.

After my lovely shower I went into the F section of the lounge to wait out the flight. I grabbed several glasses of juice but refrained from eating anything or partaking of anymore alcohol.
On offer in the lounge was some soup, various salads, pasta with a choice of two sauces and other nibble foods. Also it wouldn’t be a BA lounge if they didn’t have big tubs of packet crisps on offer.

The champagne in the lounge was Verve Clicquot Ponsardin. The wines were all South African I think.

After chilling in the lounge for a while I was invaded by a family with two small children and 3 adults who wanted to sit in my area. I left.

It was time to go to the gate anyway which I did.

The overhead monitors were saying boarding but of course there was no such thing happening at the gate when I arrived.

A few minutes later there was movement and people started queuing up at the counter. As with my last experience here with BA there was no priority boarding for F & J passengers. I joined the queue and waited. They then started boarding and I was on my way down the dedicated airbridge to door 1L.

Flight BA56 JNB-LHR Seat 1A
Aircraft: 747-400
Departure time: 20:20

Once on board my jacket was taken and I stowed my bag in the forward cupboard. I was offered PJs and I said no thanks I brought my own. I was then offered an amenity kit or did I bring my own one of those too? Cheeky monkey.

I was offered OJ, water of champagne and went with the champagne. Oh dear even Pol Roger started to taste like cat’s errermm, after drinking DP 2000 for several hours. But at least it wasn’t flat.

The F cabin was full on this flight and I noticed that 2K was travelling with 1K so I asked if she would like to swap seats. She agreed and we did this prior to taking off.

We pushed back at 20:14 and I heard one of the crew remark ‘are we moving already’. The captain announced a flying time of 10 hours and 15 minutes. He also said that as JNB was at 5000 feet elevation they had built the runways extra long and it was not uncommon for us to have a take off roll of over a minute. He said not to worry as we would eventually make it into the air.

After take off a hot towel was delivered with which Mr 2A cleaned his screen, seat controls and the IFE control.

I suppose travelling on BA so soon after the QF experience was not a good thing as far as my opinion of BA are concerned. The hand towels were scanky rags, the bubbly was of lesser quality, compared to QF and the menu well, lets just say I really wanted to show the crew the QF menu and say ‘THIS is a real First Class menu’.
BA crew are for the most part fabulous but the rest of the First experience really leaves a lot to be desired.

The CSM did not bother coming around on this flight to introduce himself but the F crew were great. After the belt signs were off I was brought another glass of the Pol Roger and declined the canapés that were on offer.

I was asked what I would like for dinner for the menu.

Dinner:

Starters:

Tikka king prawns served with cucumber raita and pita

Pastry croustade topped with Welsh rarebit sauce

Sweetcorn and roast red pepper soup

Fresh salad leaves with you choice of balsamic vinaigrette or yoghurt, chive and French mustard dressing

Main:
Grilled fillet steak with wild mushrooms and red wine jus

Roast monkfish with lentil sauce

Chicken and leek pie with braised peas and roast squash

Fresh ham with potato and chive salad

Dessert:
Apple and custard pie with cinnamon scented crème anglaise

Chocolate and ginger torte

Cheese Plate:
A selection of cheese

A basket of fresh fruit

Snacks:
Warm bacon roll

Fresh pasta with your choice of tomato and basil or cheese and chive sauce

A selection of biscuits

A selection of cheese and fruit

Beverages:
Twinings Teas – Traditional English Breakfast, Darjeeling, Earl Grey or Pure Green
Twinings Fruit and Herb Infusions – Pure Camomile, Pure Peppermint, Lemon and Ginger or Blackcurrant, Ginseng and Vanilla
Coffee – Freshly roasted and ground, decaffeinated, espresso or cappuccino
Chocolates

Wines

Champagne

Pol Roger Brut 1999, Vintage Champagne

White
Meursault Les Clous 2006, Domaine Bouchard Pere et Fils
Backsberg Babylons Toren Viognier 2007, Paarl
Glen Carlou Chardonnay 2007, Paarl

Red
Chateau Talbot 1996, Grand Crus Classe, Saint-Julien
Montes Alpha Syrah 2006, Apalta Vineyards, Colchagua Valley
Springfield Estate Whole Berry Cabernet 2006

Dessert
Chateau Coutet 1998, Premier Cru Classe, Sauternes-Barsac
Warre’s 1988 Colheita Port

Spirits, Digestifs and Liqueurs
Gonzalez Byass Sherries
Smirnoff Black Label Vodka
Tanqueray No. 10 Gin
Johnnie Walker Blue Label Scotch Whisky
The Glenlivet 18 year old Single Malt Whisky
Woodford Reserve Kentucky Whiskey
Camus CO Cognac

I declined any starter and just went with the main course of the chicken and leek pie. To go with this I opted for a glass of the Chateau Talbot. The crew member asked if she could tempt me with any more but I was still stuffed from my QF flight.

The chicken pie was quite nice but the Chateau Talbot was a little harsh compared to the smooth red I was drinking on QF. Perhaps it is just that I grew up drinking Aussie reds but I always seem disappointed with French red wines.

As soon as my meal was taken away I went to the loo and then returned to make my bed up. The crew member saw me and came over to make the bed up for me.

I then went out to it for a good few hours.

Around 03:30 LHR time the lights went on in the cabin and the crew started preparing for the breakfast service. Another scanky towel was offered and I was asked what I would like for breakfast. I said I would like a bowl of cereal and a coffee. I think the crew member was a little saddened that she couldn’t tempt me with anything further from the breakfast menu.

Breakfast:

Starters:

Chilled fruit juice

An energising smoothie

A selection of yoghurts

A selection of cereals

Fresh seasonal fruit plate

Bakery:
A selection of breakfast pastries and rolls

Main:
Scrambled eggs, mushrooms, bacon, sausage and tomato

Gruyere and herb omelette

Warm steak sandwich with tomato and basil relish and whole-grain mustard mayonnaise

Beverages:
Twinings Teas – Traditional English Breakfast, Darjeeling, Earl Grey or Pure Green
Twinings Fruit and Herb Infusions – Pure Camomile, Pure Peppermint, Lemon and Ginger or Blackcurrant, Ginseng and Vanilla
Coffee – Freshly roasted and ground, decaffeinated, espresso or cappuccino

It was far too early in the morning to be stuffing more food down my face anyway.
We touched down at 04:49 and had to taxi the entire length of the runway back up to T5 where we pulled up at a B gate.

I thanked the crew and made my way down to the train to go to the A terminal building and immigrations. IRIS was not happy this morning but I was able to go to the Crew immigrations desk and was through in no time and down at the baggage carousel by 05:10. The bags started to appear around 05:35 and I waited to see if my case successfully navigated JNB airport from QF to BA. It did make it out eventually and I was on my way through customs and down to the HEX.
I decided to give the arrivals lounge a miss as I was not hungry and I had plenty of time to get cleaned up for work at home.

On the HEX I started digging around in the front zipper section of my roll aboard for my house keys. I extracted my hand and noticed blood all over my finger.

Note to self: do not store a shaver in the front section of my roll aboard.

I then remembered that I had put the keys inside the case because I had put my razor in the front section.

Note to self: remember in future where you put items in your roll aboard.

I then needed to dig into my suitcase to find some tissues that I knew were there. Finally with bloody finger under control I was able to exit the HEX and get a cab to home sweet home at which I arrived for the final time in this epic passionate addiction at 06:25.

The Photos
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:52 am
Original Poster

The Final Round-up

Here endeth my massive experiment to inflict you all with a years worth of my travels.

A few stats are in order I feel.

Total BIS miles 186394
Shortest flight 124 miles KOI-ABZ
Longest flight 8072 JFK-HKG
Total Sectors 71
Sectors in Y 10
Sectors in J 28
Sectors in F 33

First flight 13 February 2008
Last flight 26 January 2009

I am not going to pontificate about best and worst this and that. If you have read this entire thread you already know my feelings, or at least have an inkling.

I would like to thank all those who contributed to this thread for the encouragement to keep going. A lot of time and effort goes into these reports and at times I just wanted to chuck it all in. In the end though I made and I hope some of you also made it to the end with me.

As to the passion or addiction well I think I might just have figured it out. I suspect it was passion that started me down this road but it was addiction that fuelled it.

I recently put together another RTW in J this time and have it on hold with AA. However I am leaning more towards cancelling the whole thing and letting my status slide this coming year.

With all the travelling I have done it has started to become a chore that only served to feed my addiction. I feel I have lost the passion in what I am doing.

Perhaps an extended break from travel will put things in perspective again. It certainly won’t do my bank balance any harm!

Happy travels to you all whether it be a passion, addiction or a necessity.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 7:00 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Well done Moomba ^. Excellent work throughout, and great writing.

There's only one little statistic remaining... How many glasses of bubbles did you have?

Maybe feeding your additiction in other ways may be a good thing ie focused trips on routes that are passion on.

But then where's the fun in that
Old Jan 28, 2009, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kevincm
There's only one little statistic remaining... How many glasses of bubbles did you have?
Well that is one statistic I would not have been able to keep track of.

Originally Posted by QF F Wine List
"My only regret is that I did not drink more Champagne." - Lord Maynard Keynes, on his deathbed.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Glasses?

More like crates

Thanks for the update Moomba I'm wondering how many of the Y legs I was responsible for

(But if you don't keep updating it, however will I know where you are?! )
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:40 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Moomba
On the HEX I started digging around in the front zipper section of my roll aboard for my house keys. I extracted my hand and noticed blood all over my finger.

Note to self: do not store a shaver in the front section of my roll aboard.

I then remembered that I had put the keys inside the case because I had put my razor in the front section.

Note to self: remember in future where you put items in your roll aboard.

I then needed to dig into my suitcase to find some tissues that I knew were there. Finally with bloody finger under control I was able to exit the HEX and get a cab to home sweet home at which I arrived for the final time in this epic passionate addiction at 06:25.
I keep some tissues and moist towelettes in an outside pocket so they are always easily accessible.

updated FT menu collection to here

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 28, 2009 at 10:46 am
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
With all the travelling I have done it has started to become a chore that only served to feed my addiction. I feel I have lost the passion in what I am doing.

Perhaps an extended break from travel will put things in perspective again. It certainly won’t do my bank balance any harm!

I felt like that after doing my 2 month round the world trip, but after 6 months travel free i yearned for it again and i bet you will too.

I didnt do a trip this winter as i felt i had to spend the money on house improvements and by god, i'm missing it !!!

Great report as usual and i'm sure i speak for all when i tell you we will miss not being able to read your excellent reports (at least for a while!!).
Old Jan 28, 2009, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
Great report as usual and i'm sure i speak for all when i tell you we will miss not being able to read your excellent reports (at least for a while!!).
Thanks for the sentiment Alan. It is nice to know my efforts are appreciated. ^
Old Jan 28, 2009, 8:59 pm

Programs: AC*G; BD*G; CX; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diam
Excellent reporting Moomba! Keep snapping the pics too and looking fwd to the next installment.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I Enjoyed the trip report immensely, Moomba; in fact this whole thread is great reading.

I am sure after no more than a 2 or 3 month sojourn in ol' Blighty you will soon get the urge again (whether it be passion and/or addiction).

... My father drove me out to the airport for my flight to AKL and away from the heat of Melbourne. The day I arrived the top temperature was 42 C! ...
As I type this from my desk in MEL, the outside temperature is 44°C (3:50pm), Monday's top was 36°C, Yesterday 43°C. Forecast for tomorrow is 43°C
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
Originally Posted by serfty
As I type this from my desk in MEL, the outside temperature is 44°C (3:50pm), Monday's top was 36°C, Yesterday 43°C. Forecast for tomorrow is 43°C
We had a lovely ice storm here a couple of nights ago - very enjoyable, knowing what was going on with the weather at home!

Audrey
Old Jan 30, 2009, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Moomba
Sometimes I do wonder why I left Australia with it’s abundance of wonderful food and wines to go and live in the sh’tole that is London.
I wonder why so many Australians choose London to live as well.

It's been a long one Moomba but a most enjoyable epic to follow. Many thanks for taking the time to post.
Put your feet up,have a rest and if you feel the desire to travel again take a nice slow train journey instead.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
I Enjoyed the trip report immensely, Moomba; in fact this whole thread is great reading.

I am sure after no more than a 2 or 3 month sojourn in ol' Blighty you will soon get the urge again (whether it be passion and/or addiction).

Thanks serfty. Looks like we are in for another dose of the deep freeze here in the UK this coming week.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I wonder why so many Australians choose London to live as well.

It's been a long one Moomba but a most enjoyable epic to follow. Many thanks for taking the time to post.
Put your feet up,have a rest and if you feel the desire to travel again take a nice slow train journey instead.
Ah HIDDY I thought I had lost you but you came back in the end.

Thanks for your feedback and encouragement during this epic. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.