Best Hot Dog

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Hot Dog

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2007, 4:33 pm

Programs: AC, SWA, AA, NWA, EVA
Pinks is good, but for a funky place, try Oki Dog on Fairfax is the place to go. Where else can you get two sausages, chili, cheese, and pastrami, all wrapped up in a tortilla.

http://hotdogspot.com/2004/07/oki-do...s-in-town.html

I also enjoyed Le Fleurs in Montreal with a side of poutine.

Last edited by coxta; May 6, 2007 at 4:42 pm Reason: use formatting codes
Old May 7, 2007, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by reiflame
My parents found a place in Sarasota that serves Sahlens as well. I forgot the name; she said it was just as good as Ted's with vinegar for the fries and everything.

I swear, if I opened a restaurant in DC selling "Buffalo food", I'd be rich in no time.
Absolutely nothing as good as Ted's. Had my first one there in the early 50's.
Old May 12, 2007, 7:56 am

While I like Ted's, my favorite is Bill's in Washington, N.C.

It's a fried pink wiener slathered some spicy chili and onions. I have some frozen and plan on eating them for lunch today.

Honorable Mention:

The hot dogs at Martinsville Speedway
The Chicago hot dogs at Wrigley*

*after 6 Old Styles
Old May 14, 2007, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS/MVP, *Wood G
Never had one of these without being trashed, but from one of those roll around carts (food handler permit, doubt it) right outside the J&M Cafe' (bar) on 1st Ave S in Seattle around 2:00 am. Drunk food, mmm.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Rose Marry
Drive over to the Newmarket Square meat market in Roxbury around noon, and you'll see a swarm of big guys in '80s Lincolns pulling in and out from Mass Ave and the Expressway. The reason for all the excitement? Boston Speed's Famous Hot Dog Wagon. The stand's proprietor, Ezra "Speed" Anderson, grills some of the largest and tastiest hot dogs we've ever seen. The kosher franks are eight inches long and almost a fist thick.
We were in Boston earlier this month and stopped by for a couple of Speed's dogs. ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE! ^^

We had them cut 2/3 - 1/3, planning on letting the kids (2 and 5) eat the 1/3rds. They were so good that we ate the whole thing (and were tempted to get another one) and stopped at the McDonalds a block away to let the kids eat Happy Meals instead.

I've had some great hot dogs in the past, but these were by far the best I've ever had!
Old Aug 25, 2008, 12:36 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Wow! All this time and all these posts and no has mentioned the Vienna Beef hotdogs at ORD? The best I've ever had, and the only place that makes them just like they look on the poster with ALL the fixins. Actually the ONLY thing I look forward to when transiting through ORD.

The dogs at 'Baejarins Beztu" in downtown Reykjavik are indeed pretty good too.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
There is a little sports bar in Waikiki called Legend's (on Nahua if you're ever around). It's great for watching football on Sundays (opens early at 7am) and also shows soccer, rugby, etc for those non-American visitors to the islands.

The place doesn't have food, except for one thing: hot dogs. I'm not sure what the brand is, but they are thicker, and resemble a polish parówka in taste and texture.

But the dog itself is beside the point: the real star is the mustard, which John, the owner, makes at home. He won't share the recipe with anyone (or even sell the mustard - I've tried) but he does say that he marinades whole mustard seeds in guinness for six weeks or so.

Anyway, the dog goes in the nuker already in a bun, you get a little container of sauerkraut if you want it, and the aforementioned mustard.

Hot dog heaven.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:37 am

Speaking of the Islands, Kauai (and now Oahu, I think) has a place called Puka Dog.

I like the Habanero Hot Garlic Lemon sauce and the Lilikoi Mustard - maybe a bit of Guava or Mango Relish, but these can be a bit too sweet and sometimes they are too generous with them.

Kind of a fun place to visit, even if it isn't the world's best hot dog.

With a special recipe we bake a bun-sized loaf of bread. We pierce a “puka” from one end and toast through most of the length of the bun. We then pour in any of our unique Hawaiian secret recipe relishes and sauces or standard condiments.

Finally, we slide in a perfectly grilled, premium Polish type sausage made from a proprietary combination of prime meats manufactured to the highest quality standard to ensure and preserve the unique flavor that is compatible with our 4 different Garlic Lemon Secret Sauce and 7 Tropical Relishes.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US1, HHDiamond, MR Lifetime Plat, Nat'l Exec, Avis 1st, Priority Plat
I'll bump this in case the "fixins" thread jogs any memories about the best dog itself...
Old Nov 18, 2008, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Im a very big fan of Grays Papaya, numerous NYC locations. I usually go to the one down in the Village on 6th (7th?).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.