Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:22 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fassy
Difficult situation. SAS promised to take you to ARN, not to Växjö... For sure the train ticket CPH-Växjö will be reimbursed, but for the car I'm, not too optimistic. They might tell you that is was your decision not to go all the way to ARN and pick up the rental...

I would try to claim both but prepared to get a negative decision for 2) and 3)
Yup, I'm prepared for that. Just figured I'd go in asking for more, but set low expectations.
Thanks! ^
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Thought I'd just raise this question here:

During the strike two weeks ago we had a flight booked CDG-ARN. They put us instead on a CDG-CPH flight and told us to take a train from there. I had a rental car prepaid waiting for me at ARN.

I was also given a letter at CDG in regards to the inconveniences caused blah blah and that I should keep receipts etc and claim from SAS (with a CS email address).

By the way, my ultimate destination was Vaxjo.

What can/should I claim for? My intention:

1) Claim for train tickets CPH - Vaxjo
2) Claim for the usuable rental car from ARN in full.
3) Claim for the one way fee imposed by Avis for the rental car I then hired in Vaxjo back to ARN (but not for the daily rental rate).

Comments?
I don't see any reason why SK should reimburse you for the rental cars you didn't use. Since you paid for the car before you knew about the strike, it can't be an extra expense you have because of the strike, and therefore there are no reason why SK should reimburse you.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:30 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
I don't see any reason why SK should reimburse you for the rental cars you didn't use. Since you paid for the car before you knew about the strike, it can't be an extra expense you have because of the strike, and therefore there are no reason why SK should reimburse you.
I prefer fassy's explanation. I booked a prepaid car for the precise reason that I didn't think they'd strike. Had flights gone to plan, I would have had my car. Now due to the strike I don't and I incurred a one way fee.

Fassy explained that they did offer to pay the train up to ARN and I could still have recouped the car. Fair enough.

Have sent in my claim. No response yet.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:03 pm

I prefer fassy's explanation. I booked a prepaid car for the precise reason that I didn't think they'd strike. Had flights gone to plan, I would have had my car. Now due to the strike I don't and I incurred a one way fee.

Fassy explained that they did offer to pay the train up to ARN and I could still have recouped the car. Fair enough.

Have sent in my claim. No response yet.
I still believe SK is in their rights to decline your claim. They offered to pay for the train ticket to ARN. It's your choice not to use it to collect you car and drive it back to Vaxjo. If the oneway fee AVIS charged you isn't higher than the train ticket from Vaxjo to ARN, you might get away with getting SK to reimburse that. But the prepaid car rental is IMHO close to fraud to claim. There are noway it can be an extra expense you wouldn't have had had the strike not occurred.

Without EDG or EBD status you will properly have to wait some weeks for an answer, and Sweden is basically closed for holiday from now and until mid august, so expect even longer response.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:08 pm

I still believe SK is in their rights to decline your claim. They offered to pay for the train ticket to ARN. It's your choice not to use it to collect you car and drive it back to Vaxjo. If the oneway fee AVIS charged you isn't higher than the train ticket from Vaxjo to ARN, you might get away with getting SK to reimburse that. But the prepaid car rental is IMHO close to fraud to claim. There are noway it can be an extra expense you wouldn't have had had the strike not occurred.

Without EDG or EBD status you will properly have to wait some weeks for an answer, and Sweden is basically closed for holiday from now and until mid august, so expect even longer response.
All fine. And I can wait.
Again, I'm opening the books to SAS and they can decide on what they want to pay out and what not. I'm not chasing after them on anything. They can chose to pay or not (of course as a bare minimum I'd expect them to pay the train).
The car rental from ARN was prepaid and I'd have a second route to go through my insurance as well - and they will probably pay out. It's not a huge amount either (approx EUR200). So if at the end of the day nothing comes through I'll just have to suck it up.

(Don't look as this like a typical FTer rant of "I must squeeze SAS till the cows come home" situation - but I don't see harm in asking for it and if they say no, so be it).
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
(Don't look as this like a typical FTer rant of "I must squeeze SAS till the cows come home" situation - but I don't see harm in asking for it and if they say no, so be it).
Why not squeeze them until the cows come home, they've been doing the same to us for years
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by klmml
Why not squeeze them until the cows come home, they've been doing the same to us for years
Because claiming expenses you are not entitled to get reimbursed, can be view as fraud. The same goes for claiming reimbursement of the same expense from two sources, like SK and the insurance.

There is a fine line between not understanding the rules and committing fraud, and if you are a FT you don't want to cross that line. Not due to retribution by the airlines, but because you can get into serious trouble with immigrations in various countries.

SK should pay for any extra expenses you have because of the strike, but they should not pay for expenses you would have had anyway, strike or not.
On top of this you are properly entitled to the EU compensation if your delay is big enough, but in this case where gilbertaue decides not to go to his final airport he properly waives his right to this claim.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:10 pm

Because claiming expenses you are not entitled to get reimbursed, can be view as fraud. The same goes for claiming reimbursement of the same expense from two sources, like SK and the insurance.

There is a fine line between not understanding the rules and committing fraud, and if you are a FT you don't want to cross that line. Not due to retribution by the airlines, but because you can get into serious trouble with immigrations in various countries.

SK should pay for any extra expenses you have because of the strike, but they should not pay for expenses you would have had anyway, strike or not.
On top of this you are properly entitled to the EU compensation if your delay is big enough, but in this case where gilbertaue decides not to go to his final airport he properly waives his right to this claim.
It was meant to be a fairly lighthearted remark, but... ok. I think the f-word is a very strong word to use in this context.

The rental car served no useful purpose to gilbertaue after the rerouting. Why not ask SAS to reimburse everything, and if that fails, approach one's travel insurance? I cannot possibly see any deception if a claim is submitted for all three elements, so long as one does not "double dip". Of course, both SAS and the travel insurance may deny the claims.

Furthermore, since the strike was (in some sense) SAS's "fault", I'd want to get as much money out of them as possible in the first instance.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:53 pm

It was meant to be a fairly lighthearted remark, but... ok. I think the f-word is a very strong word to use in this context.

The rental car served no useful purpose to gilbertaue after the rerouting. Why not ask SAS to reimburse everything, and if that fails, approach one's travel insurance? I cannot possibly see any deception if a claim is submitted for all three elements, so long as one does not "double dip". Of course, both SAS and the travel insurance may deny the claims.

Furthermore, since the strike was (in some sense) SAS's "fault", I'd want to get as much money out of them as possible in the first instance.
My point exactly. And neither was I implying double dipping.
I also wasn't planning on EC compensation. Delay wasn't bad enough. For that I have my VN leg out of CDG a week later to fight for (but that's a different story).
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Can you really get your travel insurance to pay when it's due to strike? A lot of travel insurances will have a clause that will not reimburse anything due to industrial actions.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
Can you really get your travel insurance to pay when it's due to strike? A lot of travel insurances will have a clause that will not reimburse anything due to industrial actions.
I thought so too. But after consulting my broker he said yes (which would save a lot of hassle in dealing with SAS). But I've already emailed SAS so will hold off for now.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I thought so too. But after consulting my broker he said yes (which would save a lot of hassle in dealing with SAS). But I've already emailed SAS so will hold off for now.
Lucky you. My policy stated very clearly that it's not included under the clause "force majeure" it even stated it included "industrial actions" = strike. The policy is from Sweden and I think it's the same in Denmark too. SAS was so dodgy and told people on their FB page to just spend the money and reimburse through their travel insurances without realizing that a lot of policies won't cover strike.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:02 am

iOS app update

In the past few days they've released a new version of the (iOS) App. Everything is in a slightly different place to before, because I suppose they had to change something . No new functionality, and the bug where if you press 'back' during seat selection at checkin it dumps you out of checkin altogether, which has been there for a few months, hasn't been fixed. But don't worry, you can still make maps and play Sudoku. Perhaps I should fill in the "app feedback" form, someone might even read it...
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
In the past few days they've released a new version of the (iOS) App. Everything is in a slightly different place to before, because I suppose they had to change something . No new functionality, and the bug where if you press 'back' during seat selection at checkin it dumps you out of checkin altogether, which has been there for a few months, hasn't been fixed. But don't worry, you can still make maps and play Sudoku. Perhaps I should fill in the "app feedback" form, someone might even read it...
I've provided feedback a few times with no result.

The "Hours in the air" bug in the EuroBonus page is still there as well, it still doesn't keep an offline history and most annoyingly it doesn't update BP's inserted into the 'Wallet' App with gate information.

But we have Sudoku and Maps...
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:33 pm

It doesn't matter whether the car serve any purpose or not after the reroute. Hat the reroute not happened, he would have made use of it, hence it can't be an extra expense which he is entitled to claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.