Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

New [Plusgrade] upgrade system and SK ditches OT [2016-2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New [Plusgrade] upgrade system and SK ditches OT [2016-2022]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:50 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
The text information on SAS medias has gone considerable down in recent years (unclear and absent information, spelling errors etc.).
That's a generic trend. The problem I've noticed with SAS recently is that they start putting out media messages before they have all the details and seem to completely ignore certain other media worthy news.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ErnstH
Thanks for posting the T&C! I was going to upgrade both my TATL flights, but now I am doubting very much. On the SAS chat, they are saying that the new booking class (Plus) will be B or P.
In the info to TAs (added to the wiki) it says Z and A.

Z & A earns 200% on A3 M&B: http://www.wheretocredit.com/english...ian-airlines/z
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
My plusgrade for ARN-HKG from Plus to Business is between xxx€-xxx€ one way. My so far valid(?) OT bid is 208€. As there are some weeks for my departure, I actually have not yet decided, should I try OT or email them for refund and go with Plusgrade or just fly Plus (OT not valid anymore). I just want to avoid double bidding.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Inresting and bad that they also restrict the baggage allowance according to original class...
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by kauppias
Inresting and bad that they also restrict the baggage allowance according to original class...
It makes no sense, picking and choosing the benefits of the new class to offer. Very bizarre, and yet another reason not to bid - compare with BA's proactive online upgrades (POUGs) which increase earnings (on all oneworld FFPs), give all the benefits of the new class (but make the ticket inflexible), and are (to my mind) often competitively priced. It's also nice to have a confirmed space in the new class immediately after completing the transaction.

It seems to me OptionTown and now this new system have more friction in the end user experience (sign up, work out what benefits you're actually paying for - not non-SK earnings or extra baggage, work out how much you want to pay, then only later find out if you were upgraded). For BA's POUGs it's an offer in MMB or OLCI triggered when the booked service class is oversold or there are spaces in a higher class that BA would like to sell but haven't yet. When done at OLCI, it's a fairly smooth part of the check in process to fork over some extra cash for the upgrade.

It's all so annoying - they've replaced one complicated system with another equally complicated, more expensive system with lots of sneaky caveats. Why not replace it with a simple targeted upgrade system - at least like Finnair and ideally like BA? I can't see how that would be bad for revenue.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: WN A List
OT Refund

Several people are asking what the Optiontown-SAS status is and whether a refund should be requested. I don't see a response or may have missed it. . Any update? Is Optiontown dead on SAS and, if so, how come it is using our money and not contacting us?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: SK EBD ; LH SEN *Gold ; IHG Ambassador ; HHonors Diamond ; Marriott Gold
I booked an upgrade last month for my upcoming cph-iad on may 9th.

As I read optiontown is slow on refunds, I may make a claim at my credit card issuer for getting my money back?!

The answer of ot:

Thank you for contacting Optiontown!

We request you to give some time to solve the case and provide you with refund details. We have many cases form SAS and we are now in our last and final step to solve all the refund related cases from SAS. So, we will send an email once we resolve this case as well.

We appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter!
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:54 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by klmml
It makes no sense, picking and choosing the benefits of the new class to offer. Very bizarre, and yet another reason not to bid - compare with BA's proactive online upgrades (POUGs) which increase earnings (on all oneworld FFPs), give all the benefits of the new class (but make the ticket inflexible), and are (to my mind) often competitively priced. It's also nice to have a confirmed space in the new class immediately after completing the transaction.

It seems to me OptionTown and now this new system have more friction in the end user experience (sign up, work out what benefits you're actually paying for - not non-SK earnings or extra baggage, work out how much you want to pay, then only later find out if you were upgraded). For BA's POUGs it's an offer in MMB or OLCI triggered when the booked service class is oversold or there are spaces in a higher class that BA would like to sell but haven't yet. When done at OLCI, it's a fairly smooth part of the check in process to fork over some extra cash for the upgrade.
I personally would see an upgrade offer at OLCI more as ancillary offer than replacing OT/PG style upgrade. And for SK it would even work nicely since OLCI starts after PG upgrade offers close.
It's all so annoying - they've replaced one complicated system with another equally complicated, more expensive system with lots of sneaky caveats. Why not replace it with a simple targeted upgrade system - at least like Finnair and ideally like BA? I can't see how that would be bad for revenue.
And to me the new PG system looks more complicated than OT. PG seems to come along with more fine print.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:41 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Hurley89
I booked an upgrade last month for my upcoming cph-iad on may 9th.

As I read optiontown is slow on refunds, I may make a claim at my credit card issuer for getting my money back?!

The answer of ot:

Thank you for contacting Optiontown!

We request you to give some time to solve the case and provide you with refund details. We have many cases form SAS and we are now in our last and final step to solve all the refund related cases from SAS. So, we will send an email once we resolve this case as well.

We appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter!
We've done over a 100 OT upgrade requests and never had any disputes about getting money back when the upgrade didn't go through. The deposit is usually released within 2 weeks. Wouldn't worry to much about OT, they are still partnering with numerous other airlines.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: A3*G
- I flew today on a flight upgraded through OptionTown, the upgrade confirmation arrived after SAS made the announcement about PlusGrade.

- Tomorrow I will fly a segment upgraded through PlusGrade. I am curious to see how this will credit to A3..
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold
- Tomorrow I will fly a segment upgraded through PlusGrade. I am curious to see how this will credit to A3..
How much did you pay and for which route?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by krabbenkopf
How much did you pay and for which route?
I put the minimum bid of 110 EUR to upgrade from Go to Plus, route is CPH-IAD.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 1:32 am

I put the minimum bid of 110 EUR to upgrade from Go to Plus, route is CPH-IAD.
Boarding pass says class Y with a small 'A' behind it.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:45 am

110€ is a pretty decent (or in fact very good) price. Didn't think they would accept such a low bid - Never have seen PlusGrade clear such cheap upgrade offers on LH group flights. Perhaps an introductory offer? We have seen very cheap OT upgrades in the past (e.g. I flew CPH-BKK M to C for 250€ 5 years ago).

Anyway, will be fun to see what gets credited to A3 if the boarding pass says the booking class is A
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by fassy
110€ is a pretty decent (or in fact very good) price. Didn't think they would accept such a low bid - Never have seen PlusGrade clear such cheap upgrade offers on LH group flights. Perhaps an introductory offer? We have seen very cheap OT upgrades in the past (e.g. I flew CPH-BKK M to C for 250€ 5 years ago).

Anyway, will be fun to see what gets credited to A3 if the boarding pass says the booking class is A
Yeah I think I got lucky. I was monitoring OT prices but they started at 250 before going up to 300. The new plusgrade system went live about one day before the bid submission deadline of my flight (after they solved their issues) so I don't think I had a lot of competition!

Y and A should both credit 200% on A3, so I am still very curious what will happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.