Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Upgrade Bid System Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nick Art
Plusgrade is no longer in use by SAS. They run their own bid process as of February 2nd 2022.

These are the new terms and conditions: https://www.flysas.com/travel/upgrad...rade-tc-en.pdf.

As a major change to the flow, successful bids no longer earn points from the upgraded booking class, but gets a fixed number of additional points depending on the regions of the flight:

Within and between Sweden, Denmark (incl The Faeroe Islands), Norway, Finland, Estonia, and Latvia
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 250 Basispoints
To, from, and within other European countries:
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 500 Basispoints
To and from Asia and the US:
  • SAS Go to SAS Plus: 1500 Basispoints
  • SAS Plus to SAS Business: 1500 Basispoints
  • SAS Go to SAS Business: 3000 Basispoints
Print Wikipost

SAS Upgrade Bid System Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2024, 12:26 am

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Originally Posted by fwfdan
Two of us traveling IAD-CPH in late April in Plus class. Minimum bid for Plus to Business dropped from $790 to $300. When I put in $350 it says "weak bid". Looks like $360 is "medium bid" and $510 is where "strong bid" starts.

I was thinking of putting in a little higher than my initial thought of $350. Maybe $375....

Thoughts? Or any ideas on strategy?

thanks.
the strength meter is complete BS and has nothing to do with load factors, etc. it's just there to encourage you to bid the maximum amount.
danielstrandby and tr3k like this.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 12:37 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by lensovet
the strength meter is complete BS and has nothing to do with load factors, etc. it's just there to encourage you to bid the maximum amount.

That is my thought as well... But I was thinking others might have some experiences of winning bids that had some of the same things going on (minimum bid adjusted down (my flight went from USD790 to USD300)) and at this point out (two months).
Old Feb 24, 2024, 12:40 am

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
there are definitely DPs in this thread where people lowered their bid when the price went down and still won.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 4:47 am

Programs: SAS EBD, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United MileagePlus Silver, AA Lifetime Gold
That is my thought as well... But I was thinking others might have some experiences of winning bids that had some of the same things going on (minimum bid adjusted down (my flight went from USD790 to USD300)) and at this point out (two months).
I would just scroll up for advice 🙂 Lots and lots of experience shared.

if the bid price is low, you maybw want to submit a bid now for the sake of having a low bid in there in case they raise the bid price later.

But as it's a bid system, I just don't think it's worth actively monitoring until a week out, when you can start to track the other factors more closely. The exception to this is if you have ticket flexibility to change your flight to a day you're likely to be successful for an upgrade, but I don't know that a SAS biz class seat is worth that hassle and extra ancillary expense - at least not for me.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 4:01 am

Programs: UA1K
CPH-JFK Plus to Biz successful upgrade with minimum bid of $300.
fwfdan likes this.

Last edited by unitedwildcat; Feb 26, 2024 at 4:15 am
Old Feb 26, 2024, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
CPH-JFK successful upgrade with minimum bid of $300.
Which cabin?
Old Feb 26, 2024, 4:15 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by view
Which cabin?
ahh my bad. plus to business

I’ve never seen a lower minimum bid amount on that route
view likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 9:34 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by dark_phoenix
I would just scroll up for advice 🙂 Lots and lots of experience shared.

if the bid price is low, you maybw want to submit a bid now for the sake of having a low bid in there in case they raise the bid price later.

But as it's a bid system, I just don't think it's worth actively monitoring until a week out, when you can start to track the other factors more closely. The exception to this is if you have ticket flexibility to change your flight to a day you're likely to be successful for an upgrade, but I don't know that a SAS biz class seat is worth that hassle and extra ancillary expense - at least not for me.
I did look and tried to search... I was looking for something like "minimum from plus to business was $xxx and $xxx won" like @unitedwildcat posted for their JFK trip...

I ended up bidding $375 for IAD CPH where there was a minimum bid of $300. Trip is end of April. We got a great deal on Plus so wondering how that plays in the bid (does it care about original ticket price / class of service)

I am new to SK and the whole bidding thing is interesting but I really need to decide on the value to us... Polaris lounge will be nice if we get it and the lie flat seat will be great but there is a point when it is not quite worth the price and we would rather spend the money on the trip!

Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
CPH-JFK Plus to Biz successful upgrade with minimum bid of $300.
Thanks! That helps a lot in deciding what to bid.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 1:41 am

Programs: SAS EBD, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United MileagePlus Silver, AA Lifetime Gold
I did look and tried to search... I was looking for something like "minimum from plus to business was $xxx and $xxx won" like @unitedwildcat posted for their JFK trip...

I ended up bidding $375 for IAD CPH where there was a minimum bid of $300. Trip is end of April. We got a great deal on Plus so wondering how that plays in the bid (does it care about original ticket price / class of service)

I am new to SK and the whole bidding thing is interesting but I really need to decide on the value to us... Polaris lounge will be nice if we get it and the lie flat seat will be great but there is a point when it is not quite worth the price and we would rather spend the money on the trip!

Thanks! That helps a lot in deciding what to bid.

Apologies, my intention is not to be unhelpful, but to highlight that there is no rhyme or reason to pricing. What I have seen when I log on to bid is that for Go/Economy to Business I have paid anywhere between 3500 to 7000 sek. I have seen bid ranges of 2500 - 5000 sek from Plus to Business. Maybe others have seen this floor/minimum?

Because SAS moves the floor/minimum several times during the bidding process (and has almost no upper limit), you only have to keep in mind that Your Mileage Will Vary.

I wish good luck with the bidding process and that you get the seat that you want
fwfdan likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 4:51 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
Just flew CPH -> LAX. Booked Plus and put in an upgrade bid to biz - 45.000 points. Declined.

I believe biz was sold out unfortunately.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:16 pm

I have an economy flight with 1 stop over from JFK-CPN- Venice. The cash price to bid was $980 to from JFK-CPN, and 46k points. I ended up choosing 46k points as the minimum bid. However, I don't have the points in my account just yet as I want to see if my bid will be accepted first before transferring points from Amex to SAS. Has anybody done this before? Can you win the points bid without actually having the points in the account?
Old Mar 5, 2024, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by xyzsupaman
I have an economy flight with 1 stop over from JFK-CPN- Venice. The cash price to bid was $980 to from JFK-CPN, and 46k points. I ended up choosing 46k points as the minimum bid. However, I don't have the points in my account just yet as I want to see if my bid will be accepted first before transferring points from Amex to SAS. Has anybody done this before? Can you win the points bid without actually having the points in the account?
There is no time delay between when you win the bid and when they take the payment.

If you don't have enough points at the moment you win the bid (or your credit card declines for any reason), they just immediately select someone else. I know from experience because with one bid I entered one credit card number digut incorrectly and it cost me the bid. I cancelled my flight in annoyance and booked premium economy elsewhere, but it was my fault.
lensovet likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 6:07 am

Does it matter if you are checked in online or not for getting the result of your bid? Currently a little under 12hrs away from flight and haven’t heard either way yet but also have not checked in. Just curious if that matters.
fwfdan likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by jlo13
Does it matter if you are checked in online or not for getting the result of your bid? Currently a little under 12hrs away from flight and haven’t heard either way yet but also have not checked in. Just curious if that matters.
you will probably hear at 6 hours prior to departure. You will get an email.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Nadiemc
you will probably hear at 6 hours prior to departure. You will get an email.
I figured as much based on this thread, but that doesn’t really answer my question Are you saying just to wait until I get an email to check in?
fwfdan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.