Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SK-codeshare with Ethiad

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
EK/QR funnel traffic into their hubs to carry them onwards. The SK codeshare ends in AUH. So SK customers can only book XXX-CPH-YYY-AUH. Don't see what sense that would make.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I really fail see to see the benefits:

for EY customers:
- they can get as far as a SK hub and a few scandic destinations. Not really earth shaking as the typical EY customer (flying from someplace in Australia or S/SE Asia to a western destination) has now to connect twice to get where they want, why would they do that? It can't be price as codeshare permitting fares are not cheap. EY might as well allow SK flight numbers to be used in their fares, this is very common.

for SK customers:
- so they will fly SK to these EY destinations in Europe and then continue to AUH? How much traffic is there really from Scandic to AUH?
This was exactly my thought as well, what is the point? It would have been a different story if they had started a ARN/CPH/OSL-AUH route like the CPH-SIN route but even then. Or if Etihad had joined Star Alliance. Why would anyone opt for EY through a remote Euro location when there are EK and QR (with Dreamliner) flying to all Scandinavian hubs. From both a time and cost saving perspective connecting in DXB and driving there would be the ideal connection coming from any Scandinavian capital.

SK should have thought this through better and not grab anything they can for PR value. I would have been a VERY happy traveler if they could have sorted a similar arrangement with EK.

If you need to fly to Brussels, Dusseldorf or Zurich to connect to EY, I'd rather fly to AMS or ZRH and jump on EK's A380.

Last edited by FlyingMoose; Dec 3, 2014 at 1:36 am
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
SK should have thought this through better and not grab anything they can for PR value.
There is certainly more than that behind this story. My guess is that EY is flirting with SK for some kind of deal. Remember that SK is only afloat because currently fuel prices are really low.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:28 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
There is certainly more than that behind this story. My guess is that EY is flirting with SK for some kind of deal. Remember that SK is only afloat because currently fuel prices are really low.
I'm sure Lufthansa's heads will explode when Etihad buys a 49% stake in SAS.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by LH4116
I'm sure Lufthansa's heads will explode when Etihad buys a 49% stake in SAS.
I don't think so... they would keep a *A partner afloat with the cash injection. LH objected to AB and AZ because these were competitors that were about to go belly up after failing to compete in a free market.

If EY were to prop up SK in their lost battle against DY, I doubt LH would mind. I'm pretty certain LH looked at LO and SK a few times after taking over OS and SN, but decided that they are far too complex to even attempt a takeover.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:38 am

Well they bought Air Berlin, Alitalia and others. Maybe SAS is the next potential candidate, other than that it does not make sense
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Why would anyone opt for EY through a remote Euro location when there are EK and QR (with Dreamliner) flying to all Scandinavian hubs.
Have you tried EK's 3-4-3 torture on the 777 or QR's 3-3-3 on the 787? Those are two very good reasons for never spending more than 2 hours on said carriers.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Interesting, Etihad is the least interesting Gulf carrier (from my pov) to partner with. They could have chosen something useful such as Emirates or Qatar which both fly from all SAS hubs as it is.
*cough* Gulf Air *cough* Kuwait Airways *cough*

I think it may have to do with what seems the EY attempt to buy itself into the European Market. Having already bought a struggling carrier in southern and central Europe, why not trying to buy one in the polar region? A codeshare agreement would be a first step to acquisition. I still believe there's a rat race going on between the three big carriers in the Middle East for world domination in the skies.

I can only see advantages for SK pax though, for getting access to a strong network in the Middle East, as I don't think there are many people traveling from somewhere in the world to lovely Alta or Luleå for business or vacation, for example. *A doesn't have a strong network in the Middle East, SK doesn't have a big long haul network, so this might actually work out well.

I'm actually looking forward to the earning charts. It would be interesting to see how much can be gained. I also hope this means that there'll be an EY flight to CPH, ARN and OSL in the future... They have to follow EK and QR, right?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Have you tried EK's 3-4-3 torture on the 777 or QR's 3-3-3 on the 787? Those are two very good reasons for never spending more than 2 hours on said carriers.
I have not, only fly C on these which is considerably better than most other airlines I regularly fly including SAS.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I have not, only fly C on these which is considerably better than most other airlines I regularly fly including SAS.
QR has a very good business class, EK is kind of forgettable, especially the 2-3-2 configuration on the 777. A380 ihas nicer seats, but generally I am not impressed by Emirates. Have yet to try their F, but I think I skip that.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by UltraRant
I think it may have to do with what seems the EY attempt to buy itself into the European Market. Having already bought a struggling carrier in southern and central Europe, why not trying to buy one in the polar region? A codeshare agreement would be a first step to acquisition. I still believe there's a rat race going on between the three big carriers in the Middle East for world domination in the skies.
Well, EY can't acquire a controlling stake in SK due to EU regulations, in AB and AZs case the regulators have shown they won't budge on that. Doubt the NO/SE/DK governments and politicians have a problem with that too I'm pretty certain that something will happen, after all 100-200 million US$ is peanuts for EY, its less than buying a new B77W.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:24 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Well they bought Air Berlin, Alitalia and others. Maybe SAS is the next potential candidate, other than that it does not make sense
No, no - EY only buys carriers that are on the brink of bankruptcy... IIRC SK makes money now, so EY would not be interested
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: EB Silver, Bonvoy Gold
Does anybody have recent information as of when the codeshares (and EB earning) will start? Background for me are my upcoming flights with EY from GVA. Thx!

Last edited by grischtu; Feb 12, 2015 at 5:54 am
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:41 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
For what I know, The on-sale date for the codeshare is Monday 8 December 2014 and the first travel date is Monday 19 January 2015.

Not sure if this has changed, but I haven't had any information about any changes here.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: EB Silver, Bonvoy Gold
Thx UltraRant, and what about EB points earning on these flights out and into GVA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.