Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

The annual tax software discounts thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The annual tax software discounts thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by gleff
Any deals at all on TurboTax Home & Business?

Have to file schedule C, want the software resident on my computer, and want to stick with TurboTax since it's the once I've always used.
Just wondering if you could help me understand what "Home & Business" does for you that the basic software does not. I've been using the standard Turbo Tax or TaxCut software for years to file my Schedule Cs and just wondering what I was missing.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I did look at a description of Turbo Tax's offering on their web site but couldn't be sure what was different. My only guess was that maybe the home office and/or business expense questionnaires are more extensive.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:06 pm
ET

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, SPG
I received an unsolicited TaxCut Federal a few years ago, and I could print it out for free with no problem (not sure about efile --- I don't efile so I don't know). It just didn't come with the state. It may be different now. It seems like the tax software gets more expensive every year too...

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
In all probability, it's not free. To use the software to even print a Federal return, you will need to pay a fee.

I've received unsolicited TaxCut CD's by mail in the past and this is how it works. (Read the material on the CD box and you'll see.)
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:43 am

Question Costs for e-file

I'm a Home and Business filer as well. I noticed that the fees for e-file are $17.95 each for Federal and State (and they note you usually are required to file the state return electronically if you did so for the federal). So, that's an additional $36.00. By comparison, the Deluxe version apparently throws in the federal e-file for free. Am I missing something here? Are there different versions that are a better deal if you need the business forms? I really prefer the e-file system because I don't want to go through a long process generated by a bad data entry from paper forms.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I can understand why you would paper-file if you have a large tax bill, but it makes little sense if you have a large refund as you will end up waiting for your money. I have e-filed fed and state the last 3 years - federal refund is direct deposited within 7-10 days of filing, and state within 1-3 weeks. Paper returns have to be scanned into the system. That being said, I would never store my data online by using an online program - too risky and 100% unnecessary (as opposed to online banking, which can only be done online).

After the Turbotax privacy debacle, I switched to TaxCut and have been quite pleased with the software. But last year's software review regarding the ease of using Turbo may cause me to switch back, particularly if the price is competitive (Turbo is usually $10+ higher on the Deluxe version).

Over the past few years, I have generally found that the best deals (for those of us who don't have time to wait in Costco lines) appear in printed ads around the end of January - compare BB, CC, Staples, OM and OD. Last year BB threw in a free CD of your choice.

Last edited by Boraxo; Jan 14, 2008 at 5:06 pm Reason: typo fix
Old Jan 14, 2008, 5:50 pm

I picked up a copy of TurboTax at Costco today (first day for the coupon), and boy, was the display stripped. The Deluxe edition was $36.99 - $15 coupon.

The Deluxe edition sold at Costco does not include e-File. It's $17.95.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by alanh
I picked up a copy of TurboTax at Costco today (first day for the coupon), and boy, was the display stripped. The Deluxe edition was $36.99 - $15 coupon.

The Deluxe edition sold at Costco does not include e-File. It's $17.95.
I wonder what their policy is if they sell out in the store? You can get the $15 discount if ordering online, but it was $12 for standard USPS shipping, not worth it.

Jeff
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
State Farm customers get free turbo tax (online).

If you, like me, do not have or want SF insurance, you can get the SF visa card (issued by state farm bank).

SFB visa has only a 1% foreign exchange travel fee (they pass visa's fee onto you).

I mainly keep this credit card for the free tax software.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:17 pm

I'm pretty sure Costco will give you a rain check for the coupon price.

For most states, you can still paper file if you eFile federal. The reverse usually isn't true -- you have to eFile federal if you eFile state.

Whether eFile is worth it or not (assuming you don't get it free) depends on how much you're willing to pay to get a refund a few weeks earlier. For a $500 refund, it's 3.6% of your refund amount.

If you owe, it's no value to you at all. Of course, refund anticipation loans are totally nuts.

Even if you "paper" file, the tax preparation programs print a machine-readable summary of your return for filing, so transcription errors aren't a problem.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:40 pm

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by alanh
Picked up my copy as well, around noon. At my location they had lots out on the display shelves (I would guess at least a hundred in the three display areas around the store) and who knows how much more in stock.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:39 am

Programs: NW, UA
taxslayer.com rocks

oops.. duplicate.

Last edited by worldexpress; Jan 15, 2008 at 10:48 am Reason: duplicate post
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:41 am

Programs: NW, UA
taxslayer.com rocks

i've been using taxcut for years and last year i was given an opportunity to use the taxslayer (taxslayer.com) a web-based service for free.

i prepared my return (1040 long form) using both taxcut and and taxslayer and they came out with identical results. i did ultimately file the return using the trusty taxcut since i had it but i would not hesitate to use taxslayer which my daughter did do without any problem whatsoever. ideally i prefer not to have my tax info residing in a commercial server out there somewhere but you can't beat the value taxslayer offers. i highly recommend it.

- $9.95 for BOTH fed. and state e-filings (FREE to military personnel)
- Converts returns in pdf files you can save.
- Can use last years info saved on your account.

taxslayer.com
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:35 pm

can you provide the coupon link?

thanks.

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
You've been lucky then. The CD that I received in the mail this year (unsolicited, though I have used TaxCut in prior years) contains TaxCut Premium Federal + State. In the brochure inside the box, it says "Just $39.95. Install now."

It also mentions that e-file is extra, but doesn't list the fees. In the past, I believe the charge was around $16 for each return you e-filed; i.e., $16 for Federal, and another $16 for each state that you e-filed (but there are limitations on e-filing multiple states). It's probably a similar fee this year (yeah, I know I could research this and get a more definitive answer, but this'll have to do for now ).

However, I did notice another interesting thing in the box. There is a $10 mail-in rebate coupon that is valid if you purchase any of the following products at any of the participating retailers:

• TaxCut Premium Federal + State
  • TaxCut Premium Federal + State + e-file
  • TaxCut Premium Home & Business
Participating retailers:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
I am buying TurboTax via Costco.com. They automatically apply the $15 coupon at check-out. ^
Old Jan 16, 2008, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
State Farm customers get free turbo tax (online).
I've used Turbotax through Fidelity for the past few years. If I use State Farm this year, can I use the information Turbotax has on file for me?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by GoCanes
I am buying TurboTax via Costco.com. They automatically apply the $15 coupon at check-out. ^
I'm sure they'll charge you tax but what about shipping?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.