Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Restaurant.com Discounts/Coupons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Restaurant.com Discounts/Coupons

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
I completely agree. Its been a few years since I have found any half decent place on restaurant.com
It's all how you strike it: always has been, always will. Some destinations have nothing; others have good restaurants (it's usually easy to tell which restaurants are "good" -- just read the online reviews). And the list always changes. Over the years, I've used more than 100 coupons, and the transactions went smoothly about 95% of the time.

The only recent trends I've noticed were, a few months ago, the disappearance of higher value certificates. Most of the restaurants were only loading $10 and $15 certificates. That was obviously bad. Now, though, they seem to be loading higher value certs again, but you always have to pay double. Like no more $25 off $35; now you have to pay $50. This is good and bad. Sometimes I felt like I was taking advantage of the restaurant when I got a better than 50% discount, and I wondered how it could possibly make sense to offer that deal. It probably didn't make sense! Now, if you can't get better than a 50% discount, perhaps "better" restaurants will participate.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:45 pm

New Promo Code: MORE
Expires: Tuesday, August 22, 2014 - ONE DAY ONLY
Discount: 60% (Get $25 certs for $4.00)
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Sometimes I felt like I was taking advantage of the restaurant when I got a better than 50% discount, and I wondered how it could possibly make sense to offer that deal. It probably didn't make sense! Now, if you can't get better than a 50% discount, perhaps "better" restaurants will participate.
I just got a two free $100 Restaurant.com gift cards in the mail.

After searching the list of local restaurants, the offers were either $25 off $50 or $15 off $30. (basically 50% off) Since I got the gift cards for free, it seemed like a good deal.

However, I'm wondering how I will be treated at the restaurant once I show them the certificates. I assume that I'll have to show the certificates to the waiters when ordering.

Is it true that only restaurants that can't attract enough customers have to resort to using Restaurant.com? I do see a few decent local restaurants.

Edit: after looking on eBay, I just realized how worthless these two free $100 Restaurant.com gift cards are. There are lots of $100 cards sold for only $13.99 with free shipping. This means my two $100 cars are worth about $20 or so. No wonder I got them for free.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by Karelia
Is it true that only restaurants that can't attract enough customers have to resort to using Restaurant.com? I do see a few decent local restaurants.
Yep, that's true. Where do you live (not being sarcastic) where there are "decent" restaurants? I check every city within a 1000 mile radius from Columbus, and there ain't nuthin' decent. Restaurant.com used to be useful, now it's so worthless it's a borderline scam.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Yep, that's true. Where do you live (not being sarcastic) where there are "decent" restaurants? I check every city within a 1000 mile radius from Columbus, and there ain't nuthin' decent. Restaurant.com used to be useful, now it's so worthless it's a borderline scam.
not too far... Cleveland!

of course, my definition of "decent" is any restaurant that won't poison me or make me sick after eating their food.

I just noticed that the gift cards can be used for LobsterGram or Mrs. Fields cookies... wait, that's an ever bigger scam! (although not as big of a scam as girl scout cookies)
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Restaurant.com used to be useful, now it's so worthless it's a borderline scam.
It is your opinion, but I disagree.

I live in Chicago where there are thousands of participating establishments. Most are small restaurants that use this program to attract business. They don't have huge marketing budgets.

I have had many positive experiences and returned. I do tip on full amount. Some are BYOB

I have been participating in this program for the last 10 years. Before you could get $50 off certificates for $1. (It was a Christmas offer for 90% off, I bought 100 certificates, then have been able to exchange them).

Now I just discover small ethinc restaurants, and double/triple dip with ebates and mileage dinning programs. I used to go to a bar and drop $100, get $50 off on a bar tab.

So not worthless or a scam for me. It is almost the same reasoning common folks have about frequent flier programs, not being able to redeem their miles for thanksgiving travel for a family of four, booking two weeks in advance, pure scam.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:42 pm

New Promo Code: BBQ
Expires: Monday, September 1, 2014 - Whole weekend!
Discount: 40% (Get $25 certs for $6.00)
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Sometimes I felt like I was taking advantage of the restaurant when I got a better than 50% discount, and I wondered how it could possibly make sense to offer that deal. It probably didn't make sense! Now, if you can't get better than a 50% discount, perhaps "better" restaurants will participate.
From an accounting perspective, the restaurant probably doesn't actually "lose" money. Usual COGS (cost of goods sold), i.e., the "raw material" in restaurants is below 50%, labor and utilities are sunk costs. So, probably no (or small) actual out-of-pocket loss.

They allow Restaurant.com to sell the certificates (as I understand it, the restaurant gets no part of what you pay for the certificate) as advertising, and may even charge the "face value" to advertising for accounting purposes.

I agree that, like all advertising "bargains", the value varies depending on what the customer prises and what the restaurant provides. Some may find value, some may not.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: *A
Man, I remember when the coupons were a dime a dozen. Now they seem to have dried up and only run for a day or two at a time!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by themadsupra
Man, I remember when the coupons were a dime a dozen. Now they seem to have dried up and only run for a day or two at a time!
Glad that we stocked up when they had the old 90% off promotions. Got $25 certificates for $1. Got $100 ones for $4. Have so many now that I doubt we will ever use them all.

Also, what do you do now when a restaurant doesn't actually redeem the certificate through restaurant.com? A recently used certificate is still showing as unused under My Account on restaurant.com. They used to have an option to remove a certificate from your account if the restaurant didn't redeem it, but that is now gone after some recent changes to the website. I can exchange the certificate, but that will just give me a gift card back for it to use at another restaurant. Do I just let it languish, then exchange it later down the road?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:47 pm

New Promo Code: NEW
Expires: Thursday, September 18, 2014
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dioxide45
Glad that we stocked up when they had the old 90% off promotions. Got $25 certificates for $1. Got $100 ones for $4. Have so many now that I doubt we will ever use them all.

Also, what do you do now when a restaurant doesn't actually redeem the certificate through restaurant.com? A recently used certificate is still showing as unused under My Account on restaurant.com. They used to have an option to remove a certificate from your account if the restaurant didn't redeem it, but that is now gone after some recent changes to the website. I can exchange the certificate, but that will just give me a gift card back for it to use at another restaurant. Do I just let it languish, then exchange it later down the road?
You do the right thing, by not trying to get something for nothing. You do nothing. Maybe the restaurant misplaced it, etc.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:11 pm

New Promo Code: DREAM
Expires: Tuesday, September 23, 2014
Discount: 50% (Get $25 certs for $5.00)
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You do the right thing, by not trying to get something for nothing. You do nothing. Maybe the restaurant misplaced it, etc.
I don't think they misplaced it. I have had the same thing happen before at the same restaurant. Though the last time I was able to remove it from my account using the previously existing link. This time that is not an option as the link is no longer there to manually remove a certificate from my account.

I really don't want this certificate to languish for eternity. Perhaps I can contact customer service to have them remove it.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 5:52 pm

New Promo Code: STAR
Expires: Saturday, September 27, 2014

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.