Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Overnight train Moscow to St Petersburg?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overnight train Moscow to St Petersburg?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2011, 3:06 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by homelyboy
Ummm, don't know if it is "Soviet era music"... Sounds like just plain music for me, nothing specifically Soviet. :-)
Sounds patriotically Russian to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3IQvhJGcE4
Old Nov 17, 2011, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver)
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Sounds patriotically Russian to me...
Exactly, it is done in Russian patriotic tradition, but nothing specifically Soviet.

IMHO, Soviet music is something like Tankmen's March (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7V5qGNTYqg) or Do Russians Want War? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCwf6dEzLMg).
Old May 14, 2012, 2:56 pm

Just back from my Russia trip. Regarding the Red Arrow, I had purchased a 2nd class sleeping compartment lower berth. I expected to have three other passengers in my compartment but was pleasantly surprised to find myself alone.

Shortly after we departed the station, a couple of Russian Railway staff were joking and laughing. They had nicknamed me "Mr. President" as I not only had my own sleeping compartment but... I was the only passenger in the entire sleeping car!

I traveled the evening before Victory Day which I guess is a very light travel time in Russia. I wandered through some of the other sleeping cars and observed very light loads as well, although none of them only carried one passenger like mine.
Old May 14, 2012, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

was a number of years ago, but the first class trains(thought there were two) overnights were booked. we went on an old ww 2 train. the cars looked like something out of a 1940's movie. had a great time, the cabin was beautiful. the toilet was not too sharp. train was so cheap, and hotel so expensive, joked about spending the whole two weeks on the overnight train.
Old May 29, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, IHG Plt, SPG Gld
A friend and I are planning on taking an overnight train between Moscow and St Petersburg in July. From what I've seen in this thread, it looks like we can attempt to use the rzd.ru site or www.waytorussia.net. Does anyone have any other sites that they can recommend? Also, are there any trains that we would definitely want to avoid? Thanks.

-halfpny
Old May 30, 2012, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by halfpny
A friend and I are planning on taking an overnight train between Moscow and St Petersburg in July. From what I've seen in this thread, it looks like we can attempt to use the rzd.ru site or www.waytorussia.net. Does anyone have any other sites that they can recommend? Also, are there any trains that we would definitely want to avoid? Thanks.

-halfpny
I used this company: http://www.trainsrussia.com/en/travels/

I found them to charge a little less. Their response time and customer service was perfect.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, IHG Plt, SPG Gld
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
I used this company: http://www.trainsrussia.com/en/travels/

I found them to charge a little less. Their response time and customer service was perfect.
Awesome - sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks MileageAddict.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 7:16 pm

Hi all, the boyfriend and I will be travelling to Russia in late August. We will take the overnight train between Moscow and St Petersburg. We are planning to book a deluxe berth (to have a berth with a private shower). I believe the options with private shower are Grand Express (most expensive option), Red Arrow and Express (cheapest option). What are your experiences with these trains? Within each train, there are different prices for the De Luxe berths - a De Luxe berth in a 4 berth carriage is more expensive than one in a 6 berth carriage and etc. If you have your own shower, why would you care if there are more or less berths in a carriage? Thanks all.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by missko
Hi all, the boyfriend and I will be travelling to Russia in late August. We will take the overnight train between Moscow and St Petersburg. We are planning to book a deluxe berth (to have a berth with a private shower). I believe the options with private shower are Grand Express (most expensive option), Red Arrow and Express (cheapest option). What are your experiences with these trains? Within each train, there are different prices for the De Luxe berths - a De Luxe berth in a 4 berth carriage is more expensive than one in a 6 berth carriage and etc. If you have your own shower, why would you care if there are more or less berths in a carriage? Thanks all.
did you end up taking the train????how was the experience????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.