Wiki Posts
Search

Transit visa or not?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver)
Originally Posted by becaria
My questions are:
1) would i be allowed to exit the airport with a TRANSIT visa (or should i apply for a TOURIST visa)
In case of Russia, the very point of a visa is to allow you to go through passport control. Once you pass it, you've the liberty to go wherever you like. If you choose to stay airside, you'll need no visa at all.
2) would i be asked to CHECK OUT my bag, take it with me during my very brief city tour, then come back the next day to check in my bag?
Certainly not.
3) how easy is it to take the train from SVO to the red square? is it as convenient as taking the tube to the central london from LHR?
There is Aeroexpress train terminus opposite terminal E. http://aeroexpress.ru/en/sheremetyevo/schedule.htm

In Moscow, Aeroexpress arrives at Belorussky railway terminal. You then need to take metro. http://engl.mosmetro.ru/flash/scheme01.html

The neighboring metro station is Belorusskaya, at the intersection of lines 2 (green) and 5 (the circle). For Kremlin and the Red Square, you need Teatralnaya, which is at the intersection of lines 1 (red) and 2 (green).

You might also choose the bus which runs along Tverskaya, Moscow's Champs-Elyses, but traffic in this part of Moscow is terrible.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 12:01 am

Programs: none
Reviving this thread - 7 hour layover in OVB

I hope I can find help here or anybody who had a similar journey not too long ago:

I'm flying:

12 NOV:

Flights: S7 - 3290
Departure Terminal: TERMINAL 1
To: NOVOSIBIRSK (OVB) Arrives: 21:30
Arrival Terminal: TERMINAL B

and have a connecting flight:

13 NOV

Flights: S7 - 859
Departure Terminal: TERMINAL B
To: SUVARNABHUMI (BKK) - Thailand Arrives: 12:15
Arrival Terminal: Terminal 1

I'm permanently based in Bangkok and the Russian embassy states that for a 24-hour layover I don't need a transit visa if I stay within the transit zone.

However Novosibirsk Airport now say they only allow people to stay in the transit area for 4 hours:

http://eng.tolmachevo.ru/passengers/...tion/transfer/

Currently I'm at OVB airport (had a transit visa for traveling to Osh this afternoon, as I stayed at the Skyport hotel) and I asked the S7 staff and they said I don't need a transit visa for my return flight.

However this information would be contrary to what is written on the OVB website (4 hours max without transit visa). I'm not sure if I should rather try to get another transit visa during my stay at the Russian consulate in Osh to be on the safe side?

Anybody had experience transfering in OVB recently coming from an international destination and traveling onwards to another country?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: LH SEN, BAEC Bronze, S7 Приоритет, TrueBlue
Originally Posted by knownoname
I hope I can find help here or anybody who had a similar journey not too long ago:

I'm flying:

12 NOV:

Flights: S7 - 3290
Departure Terminal: TERMINAL 1
To: NOVOSIBIRSK (OVB) Arrives: 21:30
Arrival Terminal: TERMINAL B

and have a connecting flight:

13 NOV

Flights: S7 - 859
Departure Terminal: TERMINAL B
To: SUVARNABHUMI (BKK) - Thailand Arrives: 12:15
Arrival Terminal: Terminal 1

I'm permanently based in Bangkok and the Russian embassy states that for a 24-hour layover I don't need a transit visa if I stay within the transit zone.

However Novosibirsk Airport now say they only allow people to stay in the transit area for 4 hours:

http://eng.tolmachevo.ru/passengers/...tion/transfer/

Currently I'm at OVB airport (had a transit visa for traveling to Osh this afternoon, as I stayed at the Skyport hotel) and I asked the S7 staff and they said I don't need a transit visa for my return flight.

However this information would be contrary to what is written on the OVB website (4 hours max without transit visa). I'm not sure if I should rather try to get another transit visa during my stay at the Russian consulate in Osh to be on the safe side?

Anybody had experience transfering in OVB recently coming from an international destination and traveling onwards to another country?
I think this can be broken down into two questions:

Will S7 let you board your flight from Osh to OVB if you have no transit visa?

Given the contradictory information, it might be best to check this out with local S7 checkin staff in Osh. This is the first place where you could get stuck.

If S7 lets you board the flight, will you have problems in OVB?

That's a bit of a gamble - from looking at the map it doesn't seem clear whether you'll pass through any security or passport control checkpoint on the upper floor, but I assume you would. There is also the little green loop through passport control on the ground floor for transit passengers. Now, when you show up there, what can they do? Not much really, and you have your onward flight so I doubt they would care.

If I was in your place, given the potential for flight irregularities and also the arrival and departure times, I'd still get the visa and spend the (short) night in the Skyport hotel - seems much more comfortable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.