Cancelling / Changing a QR Booking?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 3:02 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Cancelling / Changing a QR Booking?

Hi guys... need some advice.

I recently booked a QR flight MAN-KUL, KUL-DOH, DOH-MAN - all economy. I upgraded the KUL-DOH leg to Biz with cash later.

I'm supposed to be flying on Monday.

Unfortunately, my partner has been urgently referred for a hospital appointment, for something they think is a tumour. The appointment is while I am supposed to be away (Wednesday).

I do not want her to have to go to this appointment alone for obvious reasons, so I am looking at my options to postpone/cancel my trip.

What are my options? I do not have a flexible booking - outbound was W/R class and inbound are Q (I think - or possibly the other way around)!

Do I basically just lose the money?

Thanks for any input.
Old May 19, 2017, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by rhivolution
Hi guys... need some advice.

I recently booked a QR flight MAN-KUL, KUL-DOH, DOH-MAN - all economy. I upgraded the KUL-DOH leg to Biz with cash later.

I'm supposed to be flying on Monday.

Unfortunately, my partner has been urgently referred for a hospital appointment, for something they think is a tumour. The appointment is while I am supposed to be away (Wednesday).

I do not want her to have to go to this appointment alone for obvious reasons, so I am looking at my options to postpone/cancel my trip.

What are my options? I do not have a flexible booking - outbound was W/R class and inbound are Q (I think - or possibly the other way around)!

Do I basically just lose the money?

Thanks for any input.
rhivolution welcome to the QR forum.

First you need to get the fare rules for your reservations. These are an attachment to the original booking confirmation e-mail.
These rules will tell you what is possible for you to do. You cannot use a generic set of fare rules because they vary from origin to origin, from ticketing class to ticketing class and sometimes from offer to offer. I Exaggerate only slightly when I say 'they are unique to your reservation'!
Some sets of fare rules do not permit changes or refunds but most do.

If you want to make changes before the first flight of your reservation then usually the entire ticket will be repriced to the current fares for the ticketing class(es).

One possibility may be to cancel the flights but not the reservation so that you can rebook later. If you do this then make sure that you note the reservations number (6 character alphanumeric code)for later reuse. The reservations number is not accessible online after all flights on it are cancelled. It just disappears from view!

The fare rules may also permit a refund minus a refund charge.

Whatever you do you will need to contact QR.

However before doing anything look to see if your travel insurance covers this as a medical emergency. Many do.
Old May 19, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
sorry to hear about this:

Can only offer the same advice as above
Old May 19, 2017, 6:50 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Thanks very much. That's really helpful. I didn't realise you could cancel the flights but not the reservation, so that's exactly what I have done. I'll rebook at a later date. Looks like I'll miss out on trying the business class though, but not the end of the world in the grand scheme of things.

My travel insurance may well cover the hotel costs too. We'll see next week whether the doctor will write a letter to support that view.

Thanks for the advice. Really helped, at a time when my mind was doing cartwheels with everything. ^
Old May 20, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I hope everything works out for you and your partner and that you will be able to take the trip soon

Make sure you keep in contact with the airline as any offer they make might have a limited time span but that does not mean to say that they might not be flexible. A doctors letter could be very important so make sure you get one
Old May 25, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC
Rather than start a new thread, lets tag my query onto this one.

Booked a trip AMS-DOH-BKK-DOH-AMS for flights in November 17 during the Janaury Travel Festival. It looks like there might be a risk that we need to change the date of our return journey to come back a little earlier.

I guess I've just been lucky and never had to change a ticket before. From my partipation in this forum (you learn so much) it seems the general advise is:
  • If you have to instigate the change before you fly you will be subject to the change fee plus any difference in fare between
  • If you can wait until you have taken your outbound flight then the change is based upon historical seat prices and provided there is availability of seats in the fare bucket you booked (In my case R), you can probably change the ticket for the price of the change fee.

As far as I can understand it then, assuming that I can see some R fare bucket availability on the dates I would need to change to, I should wait until we have flown to BKK and then instigate the change to the return flight date/time at a cost of €285 per ticket. If there is no R fare bucket availability then I would be charged the difference in base fare between R and probably I or J plus €285 per ticket.

Thanks in advance...

For reference:

Code:
PASSENGER TYPE	ADULT
Fare	1330.00
Taxes and carrier-imposed fees

Fuel Surcharge (YQAC)	280.00
Fiscal Tax (YRVB)	7.60
Security Charge (CJSO)	10.08
Passenger Service Charge (RNDP)	11.90
Passenger Facility Charge PFC (G4AF)	18.28
Passenger Service Charge Arrivals (PZAV)	0.96 + 0.93 + 0.40 + 0.93 + 0.40
Passenger Service Charge (Domestic) (TSLA)	18.61
Price per passenger	1015.09
Number of passengers	2
TOTAL PRICE	2030.18
Here are the change conditions from the eticket email.
From someone who has a little clue about flying, I have to say that "Allowed with restrictions" is about as clear as mud to the general public.

Code:
Change conditions

Amsterdam - Bangkok

Prior to Departure of first flight
Changes*: Not applicable (See reissue conditions)
Reissue: Allowed with restrictions
Penalty fee for ticket reissue between: 0.00 EUR / 285.00 EUR (at today exchange rates 0.00 EUR / 285.00 EUR)
New travel dates must be prior to: Tuesday, January 09, 2018
Maximum Reissue penalty fee for entire ticket: 285.00 EUR
No-show for first flight
Reissue: Not allowed
After departure of first flight
New travel dates must be prior to: Friday, November 09, 2018
No-show for subsequent flight(s)
Bangkok - Amsterdam

Penalty fee for ticket reissue between: 0.00 EUR / 285.00 EUR (at today exchange rates 0.00 EUR / 285.00 EUR)
New travel dates must be prior to: Tuesday, January 09, 2018
No-show for first flight
New travel dates must be prior to: Friday, November 09, 2018
Refund conditions

Amsterdam - Bangkok

Refund: Allowed with restrictions
Penalty fee between: 475.00 EUR / 475.00 EUR (at today exchange rates 475.00 EUR / 475.00 EUR)
Maximum Refund penalty fee for entire ticket: 475.00 EUR
No-show for first flight
Refund: Not allowed
Bangkok - Amsterdam

Refund: Allowed with restrictions
Penalty fee between: 475.00 EUR / 475.00 EUR (at today exchange rates 475.00 EUR / 475.00 EUR)
Maximum Refund penalty fee for entire ticket: 475.00 EUR
No-show for first flight
Advance Purchase

Amsterdam - Bangkok

There is no advance purchase requirement
Bangkok - Amsterdam

There is no advance purchase requirement
Minimum stay

Amsterdam - Bangkok

Bangkok - Amsterdam

Travel must commence after: Monday, November 13, 2017 from Suvarnabhumi International
Maximum stay

Amsterdam - Bangkok

Bangkok - Amsterdam

Travel must commence before: Saturday, December 09, 2017 from Suvarnabhumi International
Old May 25, 2017, 5:30 am

plunet Your conclusions are exactly my interpretation of the fare rules!
Old May 25, 2017, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by remdk
... make sure that you note the reservations number (6 character alphanumeric code)for later reuse. The reservations number is not accessible online after all flights on it are cancelled. It just disappears from view!
Adding to remdk's good advice, I would also keep the ticket number. In some res systems, the rezzie (6 character alphanumeric code) vanishes (or, at least, used to) if the ticket is unused, leaving the paid ticket (i.e., your money) orphaned in the system. While it was eventually found both times it happened to me, it took some work on the telephone agent's part. The ticket number will just eliminate one potential problem when you go to rebook.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Excellent, thanks both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.