Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which lounge HKG

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHg Diamond Amb, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres, AmexCenturion
Which lounge HKG

Recently made the switch to Qatar. On my first flight, I was refused access to the BA lounge even though I am now a priv club member flying in J. Tomorrow I fly back home, should I be able to use the Cathay Lounge in HKG? If so which lounge is recommended? Thanks

The Oneworld website says: oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers
Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.
Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:16 am

SAWorldVoyager look at https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access for HKG.

Here you will see that OWEs have access to most lounges, except Plaza Premium where you have to be traveling on one of the airlines listed. Remember that you will have to fulfill the access conditions, such as First Class or OWE to access the First class lounges.

Note that the BA lounge is not listed and therefore unavailable except for BA passengers.

This page is a very useful tool and using it you could have avoided the problems you had with the BA lounge.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:24 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by SAWorldVoyager
Recently made the switch to Qatar. On my first flight, I was refused access to the BA lounge even though I am now a priv club member flying in J. Tomorrow I fly back home, should I be able to use the Cathay Lounge in HKG? If so which lounge is recommended? Thanks

The Oneworld website says: oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers
Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.
Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.
If OneWorld Emerald, head to The Pier at Gate 63.

If travelling in J, head to The Pier at Gate 65, or The Bridge at Gate 40.

Both are CX Lounges, and they are the best the airport has to offer - with The Pier often mentioned in the Top 3 lounges of any airport in the world.

M

Last edited by msm2000uk; Feb 21, 2017 at 8:49 am
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
If OneWorld Emerald, head to The Pier at Gate 63.

If travelling in J, head to The Wing at Gate 40.

Both are CX Lounges, and they are the best the airport has to offer - with The Pier often mentioned in the Top 3 lounges of any airport in the world.

M
I think you mean The Bridge at gate 40 MSM? The Wing is at gate 2.

If you are on OW F/J class, HKG is a lounge paradise. In my opinion, the lounges rank in the following order if in J or OWS:

1: The Pier J class (near gate 65) (definitely best J lounge in HKG)
2: The Bridge (near gate 40)
3: The Qantas Lounge (near gate 15)
4: The Wing J (near gate 2)
5: The Cabin (near gate 25)

Obviously, if you are a OWE, then you can go to The Pier F or the Wing F, which are among the best lounges anywhere in the world, particularly The Pier.

Last edited by jah718; Feb 21, 2017 at 8:40 am
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
As you stated in your post, you will get access to a business class lounge based on being a QR J pax (no status). QR will assign you to a given lounge when you check in. It can depend on the gate assigned to your flight.
They are all good.

BA has no lounge at HKG. They use the QF lounge. I don't think that you can go lounge hoping without status.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:49 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by jah718
I think you mean The Bridge at gate 40 MSM? The Wing is at gate 2.
I did indeed mean The Bridge - thanks for spotting!

M
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by brunos
As you stated in your post, you will get access to a business class lounge based on being a QR J pax (no status). QR will assign you to a given lounge when you check in. It can depend on the gate assigned to your flight.
They are all good.

BA has no lounge at HKG. They use the QF lounge. I don't think that you can go lounge hoping without status.
Yes,you can. QF+CX+Plaza
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:09 pm

You certainly can - I had an enjoyable three hours doing a lounge crawl at HKG.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
They are all good.

Your business class BP of a OneWorld carrier can get you in QF lounge which is at the end of the food court upstairs, above Gate 15 IIRC.

CX would take you in with your qualified BP.

You get better F&B at Pier J and Bridge (no F) than at QF lounge. Pier F can be annoying (very slow restaurant services, limited sitting, etc - head over to CX forum to learn more.)

I dont make the long trek to Pier F any more. 2 weeks ago flew HKG-LAX in CX F, no gate assignment at check in so we planted us at Wing and had a sitting down lunch at the restaurant - the service was much quicker than the trip before at Pier F. When gate info was out it was Gate 3. We then just stayed at Wing for the rest of the time. No reason to make the trek to Pier and back.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:31 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Happy

You get better F&B at Pier J and Bridge (no F) than at QF lounge. Pier F can be annoying (very slow restaurant services, limited sitting, etc - head over to CX forum to learn more.)
If you prefer fresh salads and "real foods", you might prefer QF. There isn't as much variety in QF lounge, but what they have is generally of a higher quality.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHg Diamond Amb, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres, AmexCenturion
Thanks for all the great responses. Heading to the airport in a few hours and will try the CX offering.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:36 pm
R2

Originally Posted by sxc
If you prefer fresh salads and "real foods", you might prefer QF. There isn't as much variety in QF lounge, but what they have is generally of a higher quality.
+1. IMO the wines are also better at the QF lounge.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: Qatar Plat, EK Gold
the champagne bar in the Wing Lounge is not too shabby

the wines are good in QF but I go for the BBQ pork dish ;-)
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxc
Been there. Cold raw veggie no matter how varied they have (they dont have much varieties), is not agreeable with my stomach.

I prefer hot foods. Their hot food offerings are DISMAL and not tasty. I once had a bbq pork noodle during evening time and the quality was quite sub par - you get better bbq pork at the food court.

Can eat rabbit foods at home everyday with better quality any airline lounge could provide. So dont care for the rabbit foods in QF lounge.

There are times I would watch my diets, like when staying at home. But when traveling, I prefer hot meals and foods with taste.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
The Pier is a lovely lounge.....you will not be disappointed.
I haven't been to the other CX lounges.
I really don't like the Qantas lounge and I personally would avoid it. Just not a nice place to relax in IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.