Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: obduro
Summary
Qatar Airways have agreed to take four A350-900 aircraft on a dry lease basis from LATAM. The new aircraft will be re-registered to Qatar Airways. These aircraft are referred as "QATAM" due to the hybrid nature of the product (LATAM hard product, Qatar Airways service)

This thread will continue to be updated as further information emerges, and this wikipost will hopefully answer some Frequently Asked Questions.

A trip report from one of the first QATAM-operated flights can be found here - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1828024-munich-doha-qatam-jj-frame-qr-service-a350-j.html#post28008887

Rotation 1 – QR59 DOH – MUC and QR60 MUC - DOH
  • The first A359 to be transferred (PR-XTG) has been re-registered as A7-AMA and has been taken on a 1 year lease
  • The aircraft operates QR59 DOH – MUC and QR60 MUC – DOH, replacing the current QR A359 from March until an unspecified date in the future
  • A7-AMA entered revenue service on Wednesday 1 March 2017, operating QR59. Full entry to service took place on March 6th

Rotation 2 – QR57 DOH – MUC and QR58 MUC - DOH
  • The second aircraft (PR-XTF) will be re-registered as A7-AMB and has been taken on a six month lease
  • The aircraft will will fly the second MUC rotation (QR57 DOH – MUC and QR58 MUC – DOH), replacing the QR A359 from April 6th until an unspecified date in the future

Rotation 3 – QR149 DOH – MAD and QR150 MAD – DOH
  • The third aircraft (unspecified) will be re-registered at A7-AMC. The lease duration is unclear at this time
  • The aircraft is currently scheduled to start on the QR149 DOH – MAD and QR150 MAD – DOH rotations from Saturday 15th April, replacing the current QR B788
  • Entry to service has been delayed from April 1st so further equipment swaps are likely. Details are still emerging about this operation and this thread will be updated as more information becomes available

Rotation 4 – QR151 DOH – MAD and QR152 MAD - DOH
  • The fourth unspecified aircraft will be re-registered as A7-AMD and the lease duration is also unclear
  • The aircraft is scheduled to operate as QR151 DOH – MAD and QR152 MAD – DOH from May 1st, replacing the current QR B788
  • Entry to service has been delayed from April 15th so further equipment swaps are likely. Details are still emerging about this operation and this thread will be updated as more information becomes available

Seating advice - Business Class
  • The QATAM A359’s “Premium Business” cabin has 30 seats in a 2-2-2 layout (compared with QR’s 36 seat A350 J cabin). There is no second business class cabin behind door 2 like on the QR aircraft
  • The 2-2-2 configuration therefore means that not all seats have direct aisle access, which may be an annoyance to single travellers who wish to occupy a window seat
  • Both toilets are located at the front of the cabin, whereas they are located behind row 6 on the QR A369. This may be of annoyance to passengers in row 1 on the QATAM A359
  • The galley is also located ahead of row 1 and therefore may generate additional noise for those seated there
  • Unlike on the QR A359, row 1 seats are not blocked until check-in and are available to reserve for passengers immediately when the aircraft is assigned
  • AC power ports and USB ports are located at every seat
  • The window seats in row 5 have one less window than the other seats in the cabin
  • Window seat pairs in Rows 1 and 2 are not recommended as due to the curvature of the cabin they have less space than other equivalent seats further back in the aircraft
  • There is no onboard bar facility on the QATAM A359

Seating advice - Economy Class
  • The QATAM A359’s economy cabin has 318 seats in a 3-3-3 configuration, with 31” of seat pitch and 18” width. This is comparable with QR’s A359 seat dimensions, but the cabin is much smaller, holding 247 passengers
  • There are five (yes, five) toilets located in the middle of the aircraft, between rows 33/34 and 35/36. This may be of annoyance to passengers in the area, and given the location next to door 3 people may congregate in the area between these rows
  • A sixth toilet is located behind seats 50ABC and directly to the left of 51D. This may again be of annoyance
  • The galley is located to the rear of the aircraft
  • AC power ports are located between the seats and therefore two power outlets are divided between each set of three seats. USB ports are located at each seat at the bottom of the seat back IFE monitor
  • The QATAM aircraft appears to have kept LATAM Economy+ seating that features extra leg room, at least in the short term, but it is not possible to select these seats. They are located in Row 15 (not included on the seatmap for QATAM operated flights) and both Rows 35 and 36 (blocked for selection on the seatmap)

A detailed seat map for the aircraft can be found at this link - https://www.latam.com/pt_br/conheca-nos/sobre-nos/nossa-frota/A350/
Print Wikipost

QR leasing LATAM A350s

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: Qatar Gold, Asiana Club Diamond, THAI silver
Recently flew DOH-MUC-DOH QATAM 350-900 A7-AMB and A7-AMA.
I was on window seats both ways, luckily (and maybe as a QR gold) no one next to me so I kinda got the LH 744 upper deck F experience, one seat as flat bed and the other as working/dining.

Been on QR 359 FRA runs last year, must say that apart from the fancy-looking seat and bar on QR metal, I actually prefer the space on Qatam 359. It felt so empty having just around 18-22 pax each way. Everyone was calm and no walking around the cabin that much both way.

Seriously, I'm looking to my Q credit upgrade to fly into MAD or MUC on the aircraft again. But hopefully no companion, otherwise I might just take the middle pair.
Old May 2, 2017, 3:59 pm

OK back in Dubai now after LATAM A350 DOH-MUC-DOH and a short QR A350 DXB-DOH.

If possible I would choose the QR product as there is absolutely no usable storage space in the LATAM config. I like to have my headphones, tablet and phone in reach. The small space under the armrest is already full and the one below the footrest is uncomfortable to reach but it has enough space.

The small table space shared between both passengers is also way too small for drinks, nuts and towels (and chocolate).

Also the table is way too small and I prefer the way it's mounted in the QR config where you can get up even if there is something on the table.

Seat was good and I was able to sleep on the night flight quiet comfortable.

If possible I will avoid this A350 config in the future.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:31 pm

I recently flew on the LATAM flight from Doha to Munich on 6 May 2017.

I was at the Centre Column Seat 2G (Aisle Seat). My review as follows:

Positive:

1) Seat is more spacious and wider than Qatar Airbus 350
2) Very good distance between the seat and the tray table - good for big sized traveler

Negative:

1) No space for storage beside the seat.
2) The tray table is smaller and less solid than the usual Qatar tray table. I find the tray table a bit unstable/too bouncy during turbulence.
3) Smaller toilet space than usual Qatar Flights

Opinion:
I think the LATAM flight is acceptable. Of course, the seats are not as trendy as Qatar A350 but I find the seats to be wider and more comfortable, so my overall flying experience with the LATAM flight is quite pleasant.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Renan Gautier
I recently flew on the LATAM flight from Doha to Munich on 6 May 2017.

I was at the Centre Column Seat 2G (Aisle Seat). My review as follows:

Positive:

1) Seat is more spacious and wider than Qatar Airbus 350
2) Very good distance between the seat and the tray table - good for big sized traveler

Negative:

1) No space for storage beside the seat.
2) The tray table is smaller and less solid than the usual Qatar tray table. I find the tray table a bit unstable/too bouncy during turbulence.
3) Smaller toilet space than usual Qatar Flights

Opinion:
I think the LATAM flight is acceptable. Of course, the seats are not as trendy as Qatar A350 but I find the seats to be wider and more comfortable, so my overall flying experience with the LATAM flight is quite pleasant.
Sounds like a great product for the DOH-MUC red eye flight. Looking forward to it next month ^
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ KF Elite Gold, QR Gold, IB Plata, Hilton Honors Gold
Hi all, I've just flown the LATAM plane DOH-MUC-DOH and here are my thoughts:

1. I'll liken the layout of this aircraft to QR's 777 experience but with a more modern interior.

2. Coincidentally, LATAM's interior does seem like an updated Qatar interior with the use of red and grey. Of course, there's no Arabic-inspired motif on the bulkheads and the red is more chilli than QR's burgundy.

3. Seat storage. In the central armrest, there's a small space where headsets and water bottles are placed alongside the USB port, power point and headset jack. There's no storage in the more forward part of the central armrest, just like the bulkhead seats of the QR 777 - this is where the tray tables are.

There's a locker at your feet below the footrest. The handle on mine was a bit sticky and watch out for your toes as they slam back onto the cabin floor quite hard if not shut properly.

There are also some strange small storage spaces in between the magazine rack and the TV monitors. I think they are for phones (that's all they can fit) as there's a second USB port above them.

No other surface area that's within easy reach to place your own stuff.

4. IFE. The headsets are TAM-branded and use a single-prong. The handsets do not have the smartphone-like screen. Otherwise, the programming seems similar to other QR planes.

5. As reported, the tray tables are tiny. Yes, they can't even fit the bread plate. And if you lean on the table with your elbows (what poor manners I have), it feels like it's going to give way. It's also not adjustable in a way to make space for you to leave your seat during the meal service.

6. Privacy. Not good for a solo passenger especially if you were expecting the reverse herringbone configuration. In fact, your fellow passengers by the window are on full display too. I was lucky to have no neighbor on both sectors. Business Class was half-full (Economy was practically empty) but I wouldn't have been too pleased with a neighbour as I'd booked a reverse herringbone product.

7. Humidity. The CSD said that the levels should be the same as QR's own A350 though she's only just started working on these particular planes. I did have to use my nasal spray when I napped, just like on a 777.

8. Flat bed. Wide and with no restriction around your feet. Both were day flights but I think they would be more comfy for a night's sleep than the BE Aerospace reverse herringbone. I sometimes find myself hitting the tray table on the 787/350 when sleeping.

9. Pre-flight. The agent at the gate in DOH did do little spiel about the plane being a "codeshare" with LATAM but the crew and service is the QR "brand experience". Despite that, some pax on the J-class bus seemed very surprised when we parked next to the plane and also when they boarded.

10. No fancy entrance with bar. That also means no magazines and no Godiva buffet! ��

11. Lavatories. They do not have the wet toilet tissues normally provided on Midde East carriers and the tap does not have an auto-sensor. The counter too is very much shorter which means the tray of toiletries are always wet from usage of the sink.

12. App and seat allocation. There was no notification from QR regarding the change in configuration. I would've been stuck in a window seat if I'd not logged on to manage my booking. As for the app, it continued to say "operated by Qatar Airways" and whilst that's in most ways correct, it's still somewhat misleading.

13. I'd managed my expectations after reading the news on FT. Ultimately, it is not the same experience as QR's A350/A380/787 but I was not too surprised. The only thing that was strange was finding all seat pockets filled with the May issue of Oryx despite flying in mid-June. Now that's really unfair! ��

Last edited by marcelduchamp; Jun 13, 2017 at 6:56 am
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Miles&More, Kenya Airways Flying Blue, SPG
Odd Seat Plan for A350

Hi there, found this seat plan for the A350 flight from DOH to MUC on 10 August

Looks not what it should be looking like. Any ideas what aircraft this might be?
Attached Images  
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:28 pm

It's the A350s leased from LATAM (affectionately known on the board as "QATAM").
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:05 am

nflippa there is a fairly full discussion of the Latam A350s as well as seating hints etc. to be found on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ch-2017-a.html.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: QR Gold
Coming back from HKG on 14th Aug my DOH-KWI sector (QR1070) is now showing as a QATAM 350 - looks like there are three A359M's doing a KWI run on the 14th according to qrcargo. Obviously trying to catch up on lost revenue rather than have them sit at HIA between rotations. Looking forward to trying the product.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: Qatar PC,Iberia
MADRID-DOHA plane change frontal Sept 1

I notice today that's our Qatam plane QR 150 from Madrid to Doha in September 12th has change to a B777- 300....it seems that the change is effective from Sept 1st...also QR 148-149 is now an A 330-300...my only complaint is that all our 4 people group has been scattered with the new Seat assigments....
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by ptalegui
I notice today that's our Qatam plane QR 150 from Madrid to Doha in September 12th has change to a B777- 300....it seems that the change is effective from Sept 1st...also QR 148-149 is now an A 330-300...my only complaint is that all our 4 people group has been scattered with the new Seat assigments....
I have also a MAD-DOH flight on 17th and now there are emergency seats... I have the same seats numbers that a booked on the A350 but now they result on emergency seats. The app shows them confirmed. QR will eventually change our seats?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by 343
I have also a MAD-DOH flight on 17th and now there are emergency seats... I have the same seats numbers that a booked on the A350 but now they result on emergency seats. The app shows them confirmed. QR will eventually change our seats?
Did your seat map change according to your airplane change?

For example "my" 777-300 just got changed to an A340. But at Manage my Bokking I am still looking at an 777 seat map. Should be 7 rows of business class but it is only 4 rows.

You can check for the correct seat map at QR source
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by endet

For example "my" 777-300 just got changed to an A340. But at Manage my Bokking I am still looking at an 777 seat map. Should be 7 rows of business class but it is only 4 rows.

The High Density 777s have only 4 rows of business (config 24/388), same as the A346 (in case I am not understanding which type you've been moved to

Last edited by FlyerRed5; Aug 6, 2017 at 1:27 pm Reason: clarity
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by endet

The seatmap changed and on the app can see my selected seats on the exit row. According to this website, the aircraft is a B777-300ER in a 42J/316Y configuration.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by 343
The seatmap changed and on the app can see my selected seats on the exit row. According to this website, the aircraft is a B777-300ER in a 42J/316Y configuration.
Then I would pray that the emergency exit seats sticks with you and that you are not moved out.

If you dont have I recommend to sign up at http://www.myflightsapp.com/ (for free) and add your booking code. They will check your booking regularly and send you an email if anything changes (times, aircraft, or seat assignments). I was notified by them about the aircraft change, not by QR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.