Search

First time on QR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:36 am
Formerly known as koeche
Original Poster

Programs: LX HON, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond, Windows 11, Adobe Creative Suite
First time on QR

Flying around quite a lot, it was my first time with Qatar. Not really cared too much about any specifics when booking, just had in mind that QR is "the best 5* airline on the planet" and therefore went to surprise myself.

Flew VCE-DOH-BKK in Business. The Marco Polo lounge in VCE is pretty crappy, tons of airlines are using it. Checkin and boarding went smooth though. On all segments there was a 2-2-2 config (A330 and 777). Having all the cool business class pictures in my head from various advertisments that was quite a surprise on the negative side. Heard afterwards that the cool 1-2-1 config is only in the 787, the A350 and A380.

The seat was good though, not a lot of storage space but comfortable. Great noise cancelling headphones and good IFE selection. Amenity kit was very nice, Armani. The face cream was big, not just sample size. Surprise. Also a pajama was given, quite a unique offer for business class. Refused though as I did not have the power to change for just a 5h-6h flight and not having storage space for my clothes.

Second negative surprise was that Onboard Wifi was either non-existent (777) or not working (A330 - both directions). I would have expected a 5* airline to have Wifi across the whole fleet in 2016.

On the positive side again: Service and crew was exceptional, excellent food and beverages. However I expected the food selection a bit larger though. And on one segment they run out of cheese (before I got any), hmm...

The airport in DOH was awesome, well designed, modern. Way better than AUH or DXB IMHO. Also the C lounge, even though huge, was comfortable to stay in. Restaurant, drinks, smoker lounge. Never felt busy, at least on my 2 visits.

Bottom line: Was I blown away as I expected from the so called "best airline"? Not so much. Sure the expectations were high, were made high, but there are other airlines providing a similar or better experience. For example, I find the onboard product on Etihad clearly better, more atmosphere too.

Sure I would fly QR again, at least now I know how to adjust the expectations. On my next trip I should get the A380, and already Silver status :-)

Last edited by CheckInPeach; Dec 10, 2016 at 8:41 am
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:57 pm
DS7

Programs: BA (shiny); VS (amoeba); Others (plankton)
Interesting review....

I also flew QR for the first time very recently in J. Had the 380, then the 777. Really liked the 380 seat but was pleasantly surprised by the 777 one as well which was decent enough for sleeping. Not sure how keen I would be if I was a lone traveller in my preferred window seat though.
My biggest disappointment was actually the food in the Al Mourjan lounge. Wasn't impressed with the buffet.
Also as a OWE, it would have been nice to try the Al Safwa but I also accept that this might somewhat dilute the experience for "proper" F travellers.

Not sure about the 5 star tag but all in all, I enjoyed the QR experience and will hopefully return.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Depends on your priorities.
I switched from EY to QR to fly J in A380 to BKK and 787 to BRU.
I am not disappointed, unless the reduction of A380 from 3x to 0 sept-nov 2016 and thus having experienced 4x777 so far, don't like the 777 that much.

First 2017 trip will be 2x787, 1 777 and 1 A380, good hopes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.