Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR Customer service is a joke. STPC not honored.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AC,DL,AA

I'm thinking to move to middle east airlines for my travel from USA to Asia so I gave QR a shot.

I make a reservation from BKK to OSL however the short connection are not available on my cabin so the agent on the phone ask If I would like the longer one with STPC. I check the information against expertflyer and KVS. The shorter connection flight has nothing only booking class J even Y was full.

So I book and issued ticket with STPC confirm with QR in USA

A day prior departure I phone to UAE office to ask for the upgrade on out going sector as I can see that Booking class D become available. Upon checking the agent find out that the shorter connection flight is available. (Booking class Y available 2 to be exact)

So he cancel STPC without my permission without telling me. (they sent email confirmation later that day) advised that there is a seat left in Y.

How come QR can just cancel something out of thin air when at the time of my booking I'm eligible and after some pax cancel and they just took my STPC away and I can't even change to the earlier flight without fee.

Any advise how to deal with them is appreciate it.

QR Customer service really bad.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:22 am

oh101 welcome to the QR forum.
I am afraid that QR are perfectly within their right to cancel your STPC. Actually they have not, as such, cancelled STPC just the hotel! The hotel is what STPC is all about so effectively, but not officially, it has been cancelled.
In the documents sent to you confirming STPC you will find the statement
"If there is a change in the Flight Schedule (either triggered by the airline or by the guest) and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours or more than 24 hours then the existing Hotel Confirmation will become invalid." See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html for the full text.

Can QR do this? - Yes. Should QR do this ? - In your case where neither QR nor you but a third party have changed anything then I think not.

By the way a seat available in booking class D does not mean that there is a reward seat available.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remdk
oh101 welcome to the QR forum.
I am afraid that QR are perfectly within their right to cancel your STPC. Actually they have not, as such, cancelled STPC just the hotel! The hotel is what STPC is all about so effectively, but not officially, it has been cancelled.
In the documents sent to you confirming STPC you will find the statement
"If there is a change in the Flight Schedule (either triggered by the airline or by the guest) and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours or more than 24 hours then the existing Hotel Confirmation will become invalid." See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html for the full text.

Can QR do this? - Yes. Should QR do this ? - In your case where neither QR nor you but a third party have changed anything then I think not.

By the way a seat available in booking class D does not mean that there is a reward seat available.

I know it is within they right. But the moral of the story is once you confirm it you are not suppose to cancel it like this. How can I trust anything they said after this happen? If they like to play with their fine print.

I'm upgrade it, by cash to pay a fare different between my original booking class to business D class.

anyway my principle still stand and they customer service it is really hard to deal with they don't even want to listen to you. "This is nothing I can do Sir, It is passenger responsibility" so on and so on.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:54 am

oh101 you have got the upgrade! This throws an entirely different light on the matter.
You have initiated a change in your booking by getting an upgrade. This has resulted in your no longer qualifying for STPC since the other flight has space available in the J cabin and Award tickets do not qualify for STPC. If 'award tickets' include upgrades or not is a matter for debate.
We expect QR to keep to the letter of their terms and conditions rules and regulations when it is to our advantage but complain bitterly when it is to our disadvantage. I know, I and most others do the same.
The e-mail confirmation of STPC you received from QR contained instructions and conditions for STPC. The wiki on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html it was stated at least twice that "If there is a change in the Flight Schedule (either triggered by the airline or by the guest) and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours or more than 24 hours then the existing Hotel Confirmation will become invalid.". You changed your schedule with the upgrade.

With regard to the quality of Customer service I agree with you it is even worse than non-existent. I have found that direct contact to the local office gives good results whilst others find the Doha CS excellent.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by remdk
We expect QR to keep to the letter of their terms and conditions rules and regulations when it is to our advantage but complain bitterly when it is to our disadvantage.
Exactly, -- one of my pet peeves about posts on FT. We couch our complaints in terms of fairness; but when fairness would tend to favor the airline (or hotel, etc.), we cry foul.

It appears that this rule (about reconsidering your eligibility for STPC in certain circumstances) was not only published, but was in a communication emailed to you. If we don't like the rules of any carriers program(s), we can always take our business elsewhere.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Exactly, -- one of my pet peeves about posts on FT. We couch our complaints in terms of fairness; but when fairness would tend to favor the airline (or hotel, etc.), we cry foul.
But T&Cs are heavily loaded in favour of the airline (substitute airline for any type of vendor!) and the consumer has no way of offering alternate conditions. But that's just the world we live in - we often rely on a "gesture of goodwill" [read: we're not accepting liability ever] and the like when things go wrong.

Due to pregnancy/Zika my wife was advised not to travel to SIN and QR did no more than they were contractually obliged to to re-route us. Cost of that was almost as much as the tickets themselves. Did they need to do more than that? No. Should they have? I'd like to think so.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrvincent
But T&Cs are heavily loaded in favour of the airline (substitute airline for any type of vendor!)....
Of course they are. But we hold the airlines to the strict letter of the rules when it favors us. Why would we expect them not to do the same thing when it favors them?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Of course they are. But we hold the airlines to the strict letter of the rules when it favors us. Why would we expect them not to do the same thing when it favors them?
I think there's more scope for them to be flexible. And you are totally right that there should not be an expectation that this happen... but a good company is makes exceptions or deals with extraordinary circumstances in a way that makes the customer happy.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Mind you that this is not a award upgrade. I will have to pay over 1600 EUR for outbound flight OSL-BKK. (I know you guys pay around 600 EUR per sector if you receive a offer email) and I know the rules I read it many time about STPC rules in other thread.

What is unjustified is, It is doesn't matter If I upgrade or not. Currently my ticket is still in original booking and they still cancel my STPC because they see availability booking class Y open up so they cancel it.

And that STPC is on incoming flight from BKK-OSL and what I ask for is the repricing for outbound flight OSL-BKK to upgrade to D class so schedule did not change anything.

Even I don't touch and keep exiting reservation as it is. They still cancel STPC because I call in to check availability. I know it is within their right on the fine print but I wonder the way customer service in UAE or Qatar handle the case it is in par with Ryanair.

They are not listen to you at all. They not even try to help you. When I call they just repeat "Sorry sir I can't help you, It is your responsibility sir, I can't waive any change fee sir you have to stay there and wait sir, I can't let you speak to anyone sir you have to get into doha and ask at transfer desk. (so they can hang up on me and become next guy problem). at the end they said if you are not happy you can contact customer relation which can be found the website. They don't even provide me a contact for god sake.

I'm not a new member here who create the first thread just for rant. But this situation make me wonder if anything complicated happen on your itinerary you are SOL.

I mean I like their service onboard very much but everything else to deal with the ground it far from 5 star service. I ready to spend over 1600EUR for upgrade outgoing flight and this is what they did to the customer.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:21 pm

This is all a bit confusing. You paid 1600 euros for an upgrade in one direction, but the stpc was on the flight in the other direction? And when you originally booked that direction there was no availability on the shorter connection, so you couldn't have booked that anyway? It sounds confusing to me, but then again, the paid upgrade may have turned the whole return journey into a new booking, and so subject to the loads and conditions at the time the new booking went through the system. Granted, it sounds like an anomaly, but the rebooking may have caused the situation.

1600 euros one way does sound like a big cost for an upgrade though, you could often buy a return in J for that. Did you look at making a whole new booking for the shorter connections and cancelling the original? That might have been cheaper, but perhaps not in this case as it sounds fully loaded.

As an aside, does anyone have any experience as to whether upgrading at the airport with qmiles or qpoints might have got around this becoming a new booking?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrvincent
I think there's more scope for them to be flexible.
Yes, they can be flexible. But I see a couple of problems here.

First, if they're occasionally flexible, then that could create an expectation of flexibility. And I could see a regulatory agency like DOT saying, if you did it for Pax A last week, why shouldn't you do it for Pax B today? So you have a slippery slope and precedent problem.

Second, we tend to be totally inflexible, insisting on the precise letter of all that we're entitled to. I know, -- airlines are big businesses and we're just individuals; but if we're inflexible, I really see no reason to expect more from the airline. Perfect example: A couple of years ago there was a mistake fare on QR. It was something like BKK-HAN priced appropriately for such a short flight but routed BKK-DOH-HAN at the same price. People took the position that they had a contract with QR and demanded to be carried on the route at the mistake price. QR said, "Um, no thanks" and issued full refunds. I had a dozen or so of these tickets and took a different approach. I declined the refund and presented them with a few alternatives. After a couple of weeks of back and forth emails, we finally agreed on a compromise which apparently worked for QR and was just fine with me. (I can't say what it was due to a confidentiality provision in our agreement.)

But for the most part, we as pax demand precisely everything that the contract or law says we are entitled to.

Professionally, I'm a litigator. As I always say to my clients when we're trying to negotiate a resolution with the other side, flexibility and compromise beget the same.

Originally Posted by oh101
They are not listen to you at all. They not even try to help you. When I call they just repeat "Sorry sir I can't help you, It is your responsibility sir, I can't waive any change fee sir you have to stay there and wait sir, I can't let you speak to anyone sir you have to get into doha and ask at transfer desk. (so they can hang up on me and become next guy problem). at the end they said if you are not happy you can contact customer relation which can be found the website. They don't even provide me a contact for god sake.
I gather based on this that you have decided that QR is not the carrier for you and you will not be flying on it again...?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
This is all a bit confusing. You paid 1600 euros for an upgrade in one direction, but the stpc was on the flight in the other direction? And when you originally booked that direction there was no availability on the shorter connection, so you couldn't have booked that anyway? It sounds confusing to me, but then again, the paid upgrade may have turned the whole return journey into a new booking, and so subject to the loads and conditions at the time the new booking went through the system. Granted, it sounds like an anomaly, but the rebooking may have caused the situation.

1600 euros one way does sound like a big cost for an upgrade though, you could often buy a return in J for that. Did you look at making a whole new booking for the shorter connections and cancelling the original? That might have been cheaper, but perhaps not in this case as it sounds fully loaded.

As an aside, does anyone have any experience as to whether upgrading at the airport with qmiles or qpoints might have got around this becoming a new booking?

Original booking was OSL-DOH-BKK-DOH(STPC)-OSL in Y. I want it to upgrade to C on outbound flight (OSL-DOH-BKK). However upon repricing inquiry to get upgrade on outbound flight they cancel my STPC. I'm yet to upgrade to C. I'm about to pay them the fare different but I receive a email from them that they are cancel my STPC so I halt it at the moment.

So basically no new reservation here. no new booking it just still a old original one.

unless I pay them for the upgrade and reissue the ticket then that it is become new booking. However that is not the case. When I ask them for availability and the price to get upgrade, they just cancel STPC as they said there is availability open up but mind you there is no new booking here as I just inquiry to upgrade to get a exact price no new booking, no change to any part of my reservation yet.

I know that I will have to pay a bit too much to get upgrade this ticket instead of buying J right off the bat. But it is against my company policy to fly J (Even sometime J is cheaper than Flex Y). So they issued ticket in Y and I will have to pay the different myself if I want to upgrade it.

As like everybody on this forum love their QR product onboard. I'm one of them. but not the fan of the ground service that is for sure.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

I gather based on this that you have decided that QR is not the carrier for you and you will not be flying on it again...?

I'm yet to decide. I like their J product onboard but everything else is NO NO. Like a lot of people here said QR customer service is bad but it never actually hit me. This is my first time.

I would fly with them again on J that is for sure. Will I call for upgrade to give them more money again like I did with EK or EY that is NO NO. Will I confident on their customer support or anything they said that also NO NO.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oh101
I'm yet to decide. I like their J product onboard but everything else is NO NO. Like a lot of people here said QR customer service is bad but it never actually hit me. This is my first time.

I would fly with them again on J that is for sure. Will I call for upgrade to give them more money again like I did with EK or EY that is NO NO. Will I confident on their customer support or anything they said that also NO NO.
Got it. While my experience with customer service as detailed above appears to be an outlier, I was quite satisfied with the way that they dealt with me.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Problem solve!!! kind of unexpected.

Suddenly STPC office call me from DOH. Apologizing for the confusion and reissue me a voucher and want to throw me some miles. However I'm yet to have QR account only BA and AA that I have.

Anyway my principle still stand anything out of ordinary with this airline on the ground you going to have a quite not so good experience.

Without pulling some string you are going nowhere with their current level of customer service. I call for QR for few time and each agent have a different set of rules regarding on STPC and they are quite insist that they are right.

Next time if anyone have a some problem you could call directly to STPC office in DOH if similar situation occur.

Last edited by oh101; Oct 25, 2016 at 11:15 am Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.