Wiki Posts
Search

What is "R" Class ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2016, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by escape4
So from what people have observed so far, what is the percentage fare difference between R and I?
I just booked MUC-CGK a few days ago. The booking engine shows Business Promo, Business Saver, Business Value and Business Flexi.

Promo is R, Saver is I. Depending on which date you choose, the difference is between EUR 250 and 300 each way. Roughly 25% more for I for my routing.
Plus Promo cannot be cancelled, only changed.

Since I didn't need any additional BAEC TPs this year, I booked R both ways.

Last edited by Maluku_Flyer; Apr 1, 2016 at 6:55 pm
Old Apr 1, 2016, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
But you are not alone; it's a reason for me to avoid EK and fly QR instead.
He sure isn't. And I'm saying that as someone who flew EK a lot between 2000 and 2008. The frequent upgrades to F were realy nice - in the years before most of the business cabin ended up having Gold status.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 6:20 am

Wanted to add that not all the promo fares are R class. A lot are still 'I', I was checking out some sub-$3000 business class promo fares ex-BOS and they were all in 'I'
Old Apr 2, 2016, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1Rotate
Wanted to add that not all the promo fares are R class. A lot are still 'I', I was checking out some sub-$3000 business class promo fares ex-BOS and they were all in 'I'
Thanks, good to know.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by remdk
Some have suggested that it may be the start of a Premium Economy class but the general consensus is that it is QR at its best with a total lack of communication. It appears that most of the new QR offers in Business are in booking class R. Whether OW partners will use Class R remains to be seen.

NO ONE KNOWS for sure!
Given that the PC earning on R is the same as for I, it seems more likely a communication problem than deliberately refusing credit for other OW FF programmes. Anything official from QR on this yet?
Old Apr 2, 2016, 5:21 pm

To add a further data point: I looked at an itinerary that I flew last week (which booked into I). It now books into R at the same price, which means that I-fares have been re-labelled R-fares in this case (and nothing cheaper is on offer).
Old Apr 2, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Could BAEC members flying QR explain why they preferred to stick to BAEC instead of switching to QR PC even before R fare was introduced, probably as an incentive to make them move to QR PC ?
IMO BAEC gives you less than QR PC. Avios are a better value currency than Qmiles but being a QR PC Gold or Platinum give you bonus Qmiles when flying QR so it should compensate the lower value of Qmiles. QR PC gives you Qcredits you can use for upgrades when reaching Gold or Platinum status whereas BAEC gives you nothing before reaching the very high level of 5000 TP. So what's the point of staying with BAEC when flying QR ?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 1:06 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Matt4
IMO BAEC gives you less than QR PC. Avios are a better value currency than Qmiles
What value do you approximately give to Avios vs Qmiles?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:30 am

Could BAEC members flying QR explain why they preferred to stick to BAEC instead of switching to QR PC ... ?
LHR-DOH I-fare return gives 280/1500 = 19% of tier points required for OWE with BA, and 60/600 = 10% of Qpoints required for OWE with QR.

I would not achieve the same status with QR than I do with BA.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
LHR-DOH I-fare return gives 280/1500 = 19% of tier points required for OWE with BA, and 60/600 = 10% of Qpoints required for OWE with QR.

I would not achieve the same status with QR than I do with BA.
That's true but what's the use of BAEC status when flying biz on QR ?

Last edited by Matt4; Apr 3, 2016 at 5:03 am
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by escape4
What value do you approximately give to Avios vs Qmiles?
Just compare award charts.
For example, LHR-BKK return in biz costs 120,000 avios or 150,000 Qmiles.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:13 am

My most frequent route is EDI-LON.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use BA when flying TATL. And AA in the US and the bonus Avios come in handy.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:27 pm

Updating partners accrual rates is not a priority for any membership club. For a long time, more than a year, CX economy earns no status credit in Marco polo but QR PC gets status and miles credit. Only when Marco Polo revamps recently that discounted economy gets credit.

R class is only introduced recently, less than 2 to 3 months so it takes time for partners to update their charts.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:35 am

BA Executive Club just confirmed by pm that R will earn 125% avios, effective from 1st May.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.