FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   What is "R" Class ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1756578-what-r-class.html)

ashkale Mar 8, 2016 11:05 am

Booking Class R

Seems a new booking class for some of the business deals and if anyone here knows the earnings it will provide on other ow partners?

twotontan Mar 10, 2016 7:56 am

I am also wondering the same thing. I booked a R-class fare and wondering if I will earn AA miles. I called Qatar and the agents didn't even know about this class. They said it was very new. AA told me they don't see this R-class fare. Hopefully AA will update their system to accept this new R-class fare. Does anyone have any other information?

remdk Mar 10, 2016 8:20 am

twotontan welcome to Flyertalk. I trust that you will find the information here helpful.

Booking (Ticket) class R has the same earning rate and burning rate as Booking Class I at the moment.

The only difference between them is that QR have not told anyone about the new class. This is in line with QR's apparent company philosophy "Knowledge is Power" which results in even front line staff and airline partners not being informed. It would erode the power of the bosses!

twotontan Mar 10, 2016 3:35 pm

Booking Class R

Thanks for the information!

As for the company's philosophy of "Knowledge is Power" must be true because they didn't even tell their computer system about it.

The system generated email from Qatar says "ECONOMY (R)" :confused: LOL

AC340-541 Mar 13, 2016 12:25 am

Looking to book an R class ticket but also not clear on what status miles/points will be earned on CX MPO. Any one have further clarification? Thanks in advance.

dw12 Mar 15, 2016 2:15 am

i just booked tickets ex KUL and they are in R class... e-mail confirmation shows economy but ticket shows Business.. freaked me out when i was going through the confirmation email.

henkybaby Mar 22, 2016 8:44 am

BA says that currently the new R class does not accrue TPs or Avios. That may be because it wasn't communicated properly to BA, so they have not included it yet. It may also be permanent and the reason for introducing this new fare bucket.

On the QR site it seems that R earns the same as I on the QR FFP program.

Time will tell.

Cofyknsult Mar 31, 2016 10:09 am

What is "R" Class ?

Hello all,

Several posts in various forums have mentioned a Business Class category on QR which reportedly earns no mileage at all, redeemable or status, in allied Oneworld programs such as AA, BA, AY and the like. This seems strange as even discounted Economy fares earn "Something" (maybe as low as 25% but not Zero).

Apparently, this sub-class is ticketed as "R".

Has anybody got information on this ?

Thank you.

remdk Mar 31, 2016 10:27 am

Cofyknsult R class is a new ticketing class that QR have introduced.It is a strange class that gives Qmiles and Qpoints for PC members only but not for any other OW partners. It is classed as Business yet many have reported that their tickets say Economy.

Some have suggested that it may be the start of a Premium Economy class but the general consensus is that it is QR at its best with a total lack of communication. It appears that most of the new QR offers in Business are in booking class R. Whether OW partners will use Class R remains to be seen.

NO ONE KNOWS for sure!

Cofyknsult Mar 31, 2016 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by remdk (Post 26415379)
Cofyknsult R class is a new ticketing class that QR have introduced.It is a strange class that gives Qmiles and Qpoints for PC members only but not for any other OW partners. It is classed as Business yet many have reported that their tickets say Economy.

Some have suggested that it may be the start of a Premium Economy class but the general consensus is that it is QR at its best with a total lack of communication. It appears that most of the new QR offers in Business are in booking class R. Whether OW partners will use Class R remains to be seen.

NO ONE KNOWS for sure!

Thanks.

Very annoying since the QR booking site does not let one see the class booking code before one buys the ticket (or am I mistaken ?)

It essentially means that one cannot anymore use the QR Business Class as a decent way to build up status in OW programs.

Given the ongoing downgrade in inflight service, the annoyingly cumbersome terminal in Doha (oh, do I miss the old Premium terminal...) and the inconvenience of an intermediate stop compared to nonstop flights, it really moves QR outwards to the periphery of Oneworld, with Malaysian, S7 and Sri Lankan...

Could QR slowly be going the way of the uncertain Soccer Cup and FIFA ?

FFMilesJunkie Mar 31, 2016 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult (Post 26416279)
Thanks.

Very annoying since the QR booking site does not let one see the class booking code before one buys the ticket (or am I mistaken ?)

When I booked a flight last week from IAD-DOH-SGN in promo business, it gave the booking class as Business (I) at the page before you pay. I'm assuming if it was one of the new R fares, it would say Business (R) at the confirmation page. My e-ticket says the booking code is (I) so everything matches so far.

If you go try to make a dummy booking, you will see the same thing. The site will give you the booking class before you get to the purchase screen.

Now, if QR is sneaking in "R" class tickets when the site says "I" then you have a valid point, but I don't think that's the case.

msm2000uk Mar 31, 2016 1:23 pm

One small thing to bear in mind.

QR do not particularly care about the BAEC Status of FTers. FTers make up a tiny tiny minority of their passengers.

For the vast majority of J passengers, they will fly however is cheapest. If QR offer a cheap fare, and a superior product to most other airlines in J, then most people will opt for that - and it has been widely accepted that the QR product is better than anything BA can muster.

The R Class fares earn within QRPC, so some people may opt to join just for the sake of it.

In terms of the Connection vs Non-Stop issue, is has been discussed to death, and this is the wrong thread for that.

QR have not created R Class purely to upset FTers and BAEC cardholders. They have created it to increase profitability - in the same way that EK are levying a charge to all of their passengers (and indeed all passengers on all airlines into DXB; EK make up 90% of the traffic).

For those saying they will avoid the R Class fares - Great (for QR). Not receiving TPs will be a relatively minor issue for people who are making a major saving by travelling QR (and for some, it will mean the ability to travel in J opposed to Y)

remdk Mar 31, 2016 1:31 pm

Cofyknsult on the QR website under 'Book a flight' select dates, Origin and Destination then flights. This leads to a 'Review' page where cabin and ticket class are shown. For example: Business (D).

Whilst on this and the previous 'Flight Selection ' page note the change and cancellation fees since this is the last time you will see them. They have disappeared from all the e-mails QR send.

Cofyknsult Mar 31, 2016 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 26416388)
One small thing to bear in mind.

QR do not particularly care about the BAEC Status of FTers. FTers make up a tiny tiny minority of their passengers.

For the vast majority of J passengers, they will fly however is cheapest. If QR offer a cheap fare, and a superior product to most other airlines in J, then most people will opt for that - and it has been widely accepted that the QR product is better than anything BA can muster.

The R Class fares earn within QRPC, so some people may opt to join just for the sake of it.

In terms of the Connection vs Non-Stop issue, is has been discussed to death, and this is the wrong thread for that.

QR have not created R Class purely to upset FTers and BAEC cardholders. They have created it to increase profitability - in the same way that EK are levying a charge to all of their passengers (and indeed all passengers on all airlines into DXB; EK make up 90% of the traffic).

For those saying they will avoid the R Class fares - Great (for QR). Not receiving TPs will be a relatively minor issue for people who are making a major saving by travelling QR (and for some, it will mean the ability to travel in J opposed to Y)

I would agree with you 100% if QR's service both in the air (J class) and at Doha airport had remained the stellar thing it was 2 years ago. As we unfortunately all know and as QR cabin crews sometimes admit/whisper that they are ashamed of what they offer nowadays, this is not the case.

This (R) Class /Inventory thing is interesting on several points:

1) OW Executives outside QR must be delighted, as part of the perception that the three main ME carriers are sucking their blood away, and as indeed I have frequently flown to SE Asia via Europe, AA/QR or BA/QR or IB/QR at a fraction of the J Transpacific price on AA/CX/JA etc... So, if QR is delighted and other airline executives are delighted, Whoopee.. but one wonders (as Akbar Al Baker said not so long ago) what QR is doing in OW and why it is still there. European and American FFP members are status-obsessed, if only because service to non-elites is so bad.

2) This is very similar to Lufthansa, 3 years ago, creating the "P" Business Class discount fare on LH/LX etc... which gave reduced status and bonus mileage . As the reduced fares previously existed but were not singled out in terms of status/reward, this apparently depleted J cabins so much that it gave LH room to create Premium Economy cabins without touching F and Y spaces. It also caused a hemorragy of MilesandMore customers (me included) which cannot have been good for them.

3) Finally, creating a Premium Economy Class appears not to be in the cards at any of the large ME carriers. They simply do not have the market fine-tuning sophistication to do it.

Cofyknsult Mar 31, 2016 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by remdk (Post 26416426)
Cofyknsult on the QR website under 'Book a flight' select dates, Origin and Destination then flights. This leads to a 'Review' page where cabin and ticket class are shown. For example: Business (D).

Whilst on this and the previous 'Flight Selection ' page note the change and cancellation fees since this is the last time you will see them. They have disappeared from all the e-mails QR send.

Good Point. Many Thanks.