Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50 min layover in Doha - long enough?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:37 am
Original Poster

50 min layover in Doha - long enough?

Hi, I just booked a flight to/from South Africa, with a layover in Doha. The first layover is a whole 13 hours, but on the way back, we only have 50 minutes to catch our next flight.

I've read that Qatar Airlines is pretty efficient and generally arrives on time. How big is the Qatar airport? Will 50 minutes be enough time to get to our next flight? Would love some opinions.

Thanks so much.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:27 pm

bombadillo welcome to Flyertalk. Hopefully you will find answers to many questions here.
The Minimum Connection Time (MCT) is 45 minutes so 50 minuties is doable.
Look at the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...airport-2.html and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...nsit-doha.html and several other threads for further information.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Need a few more details. What class are you flying? I did a 50 minute connection in business back in July -- SIN-DOH, DOH-PHL, with no problem. But in coach depending on time of day it might be trickier because of security (separate lines for premium). It is a big airport!
Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by phillychuck
Need a few more details. What class are you flying? I did a 50 minute connection in business back in July -- SIN-DOH, DOH-PHL, with no problem. But in coach depending on time of day it might be trickier because of security (separate lines for premium). It is a big airport!
This is if your inbound flight does get selected for secondary security screening, then it will take longer, but even i economy, you can go to the premium security l;ane and explain that you have a very short connection, they'll probably let you go in. When I was there last, they didn't seem to be caring that much. I was recently travelling in economy with Sapphire status, he let me through without much explaining.

If you flight is not selected for secondary security screening, you will arrive into the departures area, will definitely make it, as long as inbound is not delayed.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:55 pm

Secondary screening is the norm in DOH. A very few origins are exempted. LHR and possibly MAN as well as other British airports and a few others are exempted, but even they are subject to random spot checks.

OP has given no relevant information such as origin, destination, flight numbers and date, Cabin class etc. so we must assume 'worst case' in our replies. Worst case would be 'Yes it is doable but it may be a rush.'
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. Much appreciated.

Usually when making connections, you don't have to go through security (in most airports). I see from your comments there is additional ("secondary") security within the terminal. That may be a bit of a concern, but hopefully it will work out.

I am flying whatever 'normal' class is... I will consider going to the premium line and explaining the situation. Sounds like it could be iffy but still doable.

I suppose I'll trust it will work out, walk briskly, and see how it goes!

Thanks again.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:41 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bombadillo
Usually when making connections, you don't have to go through security (in most airports).
I'm guessing you are in the USA and thinking about transfers between domestic flights. I'm struggling to think of an international airport that does not require some form of security for connecting passengers!

Doha does waive transfer security checks for some flights, in which case connecting passengers go straight into the departures area. But if you are not on one of these flights, or have a bus transfer from a remote stand, you will need to go through security.

If there is any delay on your inbound flight, be prepared for your luggage not to make your connection even if you do. I've experienced that issue on a tight connection where my inbound was just 15 minutes late arriving. This was in Business Class
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by gms
I'm guessing you are in the USA and thinking about transfers between domestic flights. I'm struggling to think of an international airport that does not require some form of security for connecting passengers!
It's not too unusual outisde the US - but the stars have to be aligned!

For example recently I've twice transited DUS recently since CX started flying that route, and LHR-DUS-HKG there is no screening in DUS. On one of those occasions, the gates were adjacent so there wasn't even even an official passport check.

But you're right, it is the exception rather than the norm, as most airports weren't designed with complex security rulez in mind.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: EBS, EY Gold Eite, EK Gold, QR Platinum, Accor Gold
As previous posters point out, you should be fine. Additional advice is to keep your eyes and ears wide open when you exit the bridge (or the bus), as there (somtimes) might be dedicated ground staff to assist passangers doing short connections. Best bet to survive at HIA is to ask around and ask again. Information and signage at HIA is not a blessing in abundance....
Old Mar 24, 2016, 3:04 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
50 mins will cut close but QR will rebook you if you miss your connection.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I have had a short connection LHR-DOH, DOH-SIN which was about 50 minutes. There was no secondary screening.

QR are very good at transiting passengers. They will be aware of those with <1hr connections. In my case the flight into DOH was early and I even had time for a cuppa in the lounge before the SIN flight.

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 5:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Agreed, I've made a 45 minute connection not long ago. The speed at which HIA gets people from one flight to another is something LHR could learn a lot from.

So, srbrenna, did you fly DOH-SIN on the A350? I had a very nice experience a few weeks ago on this route.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
If you have a short connection, you will get a boarding pass wallet with a 'short transit' logo which you use to jump the queues. Also your bags will be similarly tagged. e.g. http://www.qatarairways.com/images/i...ow-250x180.gif

45 mins is eminently doable but be prepared for some long walks and to not waste time. Gates close 20 mins before departure. As advised upthread, you may or may not need to pass through transit security.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by LondonElite
So, srbrenna, did you fly DOH-SIN on the A350? I had a very nice experience a few weeks ago on this route.
Unfortunately it was back in the days. I had to slum it on a 787
Old Mar 26, 2016, 5:56 pm

Hi, I have flown on QR with 50 minute layovers and 1 hr 10 min layovers multiple times in economy. Have not had any issues with either, it is definitely enough time providing the flight is not delayed. If you experience any long delays on the previous flight then it's gonna be tight, but as long as everything runs on time you should be fine.

Also, if all goes to plan you will be happy that the transit is so short, as especially during night flying you can get tired really quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.