Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum connection time Doha airport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA silver
I'm another one that's affected.

Just acknowledged a change that means a 30min transfer window on my DOH-BKK leg!

running shoes on then!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:17 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by remdk
pjh981 QR have raised the MCT to 45 minutes. So unless they have lowered it again yours is not a 'legal' connection. Reject the change and let them book you on the next flight at.02.05. This also has a connection to ARN at 06.45.
According to the schedules the revised BKK-DOH will be an A380.
The booking engine still shows a 20.40 departure from BKK and no 21.10! The timetable search shows both. Go figure!
Thanks remdk. Unfortunately, I'm tight for time the next day and may have to go early - which means taking the 777-300 from BKK-DOH. That'll be a real disappointment - any views out there (bar aside) on the relative downside of the 777 business seat over the 380?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by pjh981
Thanks remdk. Unfortunately, I'm tight for time the next day and may have to go early - which means taking the 777-300 from BKK-DOH. That'll be a real disappointment - any views out there (bar aside) on the relative downside of the 777 business seat over the 380?
I'm in the same boat, not wanting to switch from the A380 i'm going to chance the 30mins transfer and if i don't make it, QR will then put me on the 777.hopefully
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
>> i'm going to chance the 30mins transfer and if i don't make it, QR will then put me on the 777.hopefully

I don't think so, as you now have an 'illegal' connection (<45 mins). Gates close 20 mins before departure.

I expect QR will eventually contact you to offer something else. I don't know what would happen if you tried to check-in for those flights. Refused check-in ? Refused rebooking if you miss the connection (which is very likely) ?

On the upside, schedules may change again before you travel, perhaps to your advantage. Insha'allah
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by sharp5flat9
>> i'm going to chance the 30mins transfer and if i don't make it, QR will then put me on the 777.hopefully

I don't think so, as you now have an 'illegal' connection (<45 mins). Gates close 20 mins before departure.

I expect QR will eventually contact you to offer something else. I don't know what would happen if you tried to check-in for those flights. Refused check-in ? Refused rebooking if you miss the connection (which is very likely) ?

On the upside, schedules may change again before you travel, perhaps to your advantage. Insha'allah
Where do I stand from a legal point of view?

Are QR obliged to reschedule me? The flights aren't until September so I can wait a while just in case they do change again
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:27 am
EdC

Programs: BA Silver, Accor + Hilton Gold, YHA Life member
Similar just happened to me - the fifth schedule change this year pushed my connection in Doha (originally a relaxed 1h55), over the edge to 40 minutes. Figured it was better to be proactive and bag my seat on QR835 rather than take a chance on the schedules switching back favourably and ending up instead with an extended stay in the Al Mourjan, so i gave them a call and got it sorted.

Although as I'm coming in from Hanoi, I do now avoid a sale-fare-enforced change of planes at Bangkok, which made my decision somewhat easier!
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
We will be flying QR from CPH to BKK QR 160 then to QR 836. The connection time originally was 55 minutes and now it cut down to 50 minutes. As far as I can see the MCT for QR is 45 minutes. What's the chance of us successfully making QR 836? Never been to DOH and how likely is it that QR 160 will park close to QR 836?

The reason I asked is because we are thinking about buying an extra flight out of BKK (I'm thinking about buying MH flight since it's part of OW), if we can't make the connecting flight, does it mean that we are SOL? We are 2 adults and 3 kids and 4 of us are OWS, not sure if it would make any difference.

TIA!
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:12 pm

nacho 50 minutes is perfectly acceptable and doable provided you do not dawdle!

QR160 often arrives at a remote gate with a bus to security. A remote gate usually means that you will arrive at security faster than from many contact gates. Since CPH is not on the list of 'Safe' airports you will have to pass through security.

Your BKK flight usually departs from a contact gate near the exits from security.

Shortly before landing the IFE usually shows a list of gates for flight connections. Note your departure gate, it will save you time. Another time saver is to get a map of the terminal showing contact gates https://www.oneworld.com/airports-de...aps/doha-qatar is probably the best one available online.

Do make the cabin crew of QR160 aware that you have a tight connection especially if the flight is late arriving.

OW airlines have recently stopped through check-in for separate tickets uness they are on the same PNR. This means that one journey ends at BKK abd an entirely new one starts. You are delayed into BKK and miss the next flight and you are a noshow for the second journey with the consequences described in your second ticket. Look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...l#post26960122 for similar experiences.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by remdk
nacho 50 minutes is perfectly acceptable and doable provided you do not dawdle!

QR160 often arrives at a remote gate with a bus to security. A remote gate usually means that you will arrive at security faster than from many contact gates. Since CPH is not on the list of 'Safe' airports you will have to pass through security.

Your BKK flight usually departs from a contact gate near the exits from security.

Shortly before landing the IFE usually shows a list of gates for flight connections. Note your departure gate, it will save you time. Another time saver is to get a map of the terminal showing contact gates https://www.oneworld.com/airports-de...aps/doha-qatar is probably the best one available online.

Do make the cabin crew of QR160 aware that you have a tight connection especially if the flight is late arriving.

OW airlines have recently stopped through check-in for separate tickets uness they are on the same PNR. This means that one journey ends at BKK abd an entirely new one starts. You are delayed into BKK and miss the next flight and you are a noshow for the second journey with the consequences described in your second ticket. Look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...l#post26960122 for similar experiences.
Thanks!

I'm surprised that CPH is not a "safe" airport - when I was flying from CPH to the US there is just regular security - no stupid extra APIS laptop outpost by the gate or extra screening.

I was hoping to interline my bags all the way to the connecting filght - that's why I'm thinking about flying MH. Not sure if QR at CPH will allow that.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:15 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by nacho
Thanks!

I'm surprised that CPH is not a "safe" airport - when I was flying from CPH to the US there is just regular security - no stupid extra APIS laptop outpost by the gate or extra screening.

I was hoping to interline my bags all the way to the connecting filght - that's why I'm thinking about flying MH. Not sure if QR at CPH will allow that.
The definition of a safe airport, is not relevant when discussing QR in this instance.

They mix things up and make it quite random, purely for added security.

QR, as per other OneWorld alliance members, are no longer interlining baggage. As such, while you can try things at CPH, be prepared for a stern 'no'. It's daft I appreciate, but this is the current setup.

M
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
The definition of a safe airport, is not relevant when discussing QR in this instance.

They mix things up and make it quite random, purely for added security.

QR, as per other OneWorld alliance members, are no longer interlining baggage. As such, while you can try things at CPH, be prepared for a stern 'no'. It's daft I appreciate, but this is the current setup.

M
Interesting regarding interlining - back in Feb this year I was flying TK ex-CPH to HKG, then with RJ from HKG to BKK. I was able to get all my bags all the way to BKK. Maybe it's TK being nice

If it's the case then I will have to fetch my bags and re-check in at BKK? How long time will I need? This is something I'd like to avoid.

Thanks a lot again!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:44 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by nacho
Interesting regarding interlining - back in Feb this year I was flying TK ex-CPH to HKG, then with RJ from HKG to BKK. I was able to get all my bags all the way to BKK. Maybe it's TK being nice

If it's the case then I will have to fetch my bags and re-check in at BKK? How long time will I need? This is something I'd like to avoid.

Thanks a lot again!
Oneworld introduced the changes on 1st June, and there have been many frustrated passengers within the individual airlines.

At BKK, you will need to Exit Immigration and then head upstairs to check-in.

If you are in J, you will be given a Premium Lane Pass which will make the experience smoother and quicker.

Personally, I manage to walk from the usual QR gate to Immigration in around 8mins, and am usually in a car within 15mins of landing - but I travel HBO.

However, I would probably allow 3 hours from time of arrival to Exit and Re-Check your bags.

If in Y, allow 4 hours due to occasionally lengthy queues at Passport Control.

Alternatively, there are Premium Service companies at BKK, from whom you can purchase a speedy transfer service from - electric buggy to Passport Control etc.

M
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:11 am

To clarify, QR do still interline when flying multiple airlines on one ticket. The change for some Oneworld carriers is with regards to having separate tickets.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Oneworld introduced the changes on 1st June, and there have been many frustrated passengers within the individual airlines.

At BKK, you will need to Exit Immigration and then head upstairs to check-in.

If you are in J, you will be given a Premium Lane Pass which will make the experience smoother and quicker.

Personally, I manage to walk from the usual QR gate to Immigration in around 8mins, and am usually in a car within 15mins of landing - but I travel HBO.

However, I would probably allow 3 hours from time of arrival to Exit and Re-Check your bags.

If in Y, allow 4 hours due to occasionally lengthy queues at Passport Control.

Alternatively, there are Premium Service companies at BKK, from whom you can purchase a speedy transfer service from - electric buggy to Passport Control etc.

M
Thank you so much for clarifying! At least now I'll have a better idea in getting tickets ex-BKK. I think the best bet will be get a flight the next morning or much later in the evening in case my CPH flight arrives late at DOH.

TIA!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:07 am

nacho

1 CPH is not a very safe (secure) airport. On more than one occasion I have taken undeclared liquids through unchallenged. Security is mostly show with very little substance.

2 As msm2000uk says new OW interlining rules were introduced 1 June. This is causing problems for quite a number of passengers such as yourself. Both http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ansit-cmb.html and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...l#post26956433 have postings regarding the problem. Two very different solutions!

3 As N1Rotate points out the problem is where there are separate tickets. However if you can get them put on the same PNR there will be no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.