Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Old Jun 24, 2016, 3:58 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Another question. Flying NBO DOH BKK on QR, connecting to USM (Koh Samui) on Bangkok Airways (QR Ticket). When we land at BKK, do we need to clear immigration and customs, collect luggage and then check it all in again? Or do we clear immigration and customs in USM?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: EB*D, Hilton Diamond, Carlson Gold Elite, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Another question. Flying NBO DOH BKK on QR, connecting to USM (Koh Samui) on Bangkok Airways (QR Ticket). When we land at BKK, do we need to clear immigration and customs, collect luggage and then check it all in again? Or do we clear immigration and customs in USM?
Baggage will be checked through to USM, go through a special transit immigration system in BKK. Read info on Wiki at top of thread.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Insomnia4u
Baggage will be checked through to USM, go through a special transit immigration system in BKK. Read info on Wiki at top of thread.
Thanks. The Wiki made reference to Thai Airways for departures only, and did not make reference to arriving into Thailand. Could your answer be added to the Wiki?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: EB*D, Hilton Diamond, Carlson Gold Elite, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Thanks. The Wiki made reference to Thai Airways for departures only, and did not make reference to arriving into Thailand. Could your answer be added to the Wiki?
It´s kinda the reverse process of what is described in Wiki. QR and PG have interline agreement as well so they will check through the baggage. Maybe some of the mods can add info about the transit-to-domestic at BKK.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Insomnia4u
Maybe some of the mods can add info about the transit-to-domestic at BKK.
IIRC there's already info on this posted somewhere on FT, but I do not recall where.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Anyone with sufficient posts can update the wiki. That's the whole point. Jump in !
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:10 am

My plane from BKK to QR next January was just changed from an A380 to a 777. My great seat (38D) was also changed to a normal aisle seat. Is it worth complaining at all? I specifically chose Qatar just to fly on an A380 on a 38D seat.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:54 am

petey2428 the most frequently given answer during the last 9 months has been 'Never choose a flight for a particular aircraft type. There is a big chance you will be disappointed'. Through no fault of its own QR lacks wide bodied aircraft and has to adjust its use of aircraft on an almost daily basis.

QR have tried to keep everyone informed and there is a Wiki with most changes on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...-2016-a-8.html.

The contract you have with with QR is to transport you from A to B but not on a particular aircraft type so there is not much use complaining. You may gain a few Qmiles and a standard robotic reply.

Last edited by remdk; Jun 26, 2016 at 2:10 am
Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
what was so special about seat 38D that anyone would chose the airline just to have this seat
Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:15 am

I'm not sure! Now that you've mentioned it, I had a look at the seat map for the QR A388 and I can't find a seat 38D!! Am I missing something here?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:17 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Originally Posted by amnicoll
what was so special about seat 38D that anyone would chose the airline just to have this seat
I think they meant to say 68D . It's Economy seat on the lower deck and there is no seat in front of you. Extra leg room and no one putting their seat back.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by flyingbubbles
I'm not sure! Now that you've mentioned it, I had a look at the seat map for the QR A388 and I can't find a seat 38D!! Am I missing something here?
I did the same and it seems to depend on which seat map you use as I did finally find it on one

I have no idea if the economy layout is standard on the Qatar A 380 but it does raise the question about placing too much reliance on seat maps in advance of the airline offering you seat selection on your booking
Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:50 am

According to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...seating-q.html
"First, and foremost, the best-seat on the deck - 68D. As there is a hatch in the place of seat 67D, seat 68D has a substantial level of additional legroom. If you can select this seat, take it and enjoy!"
Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:57 am

he is going to be pretty upset then not only will he have booked the wrong seat but i could not even find seat 38D on the map which begs the question how did he evn book this seat
Old Jun 26, 2016, 6:14 am

amnicoll if on the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...seating-q.html thread you click on the Main deck link you actually are shown the A350 seat map, which has row 38!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.