Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR Economy Seats and Meals

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Question QR Economy Seats and Meals

I'm looking at an all-economy QR itinerary MIA-DOH-CPT on their 77W and 788. I've used QR in J before, and had no problems with their long 14-hr flights. Now I'd appreciate some input on what to expect from their economy product.
1. Are their Y seats comfortable enough to survive on a long overnight flight?
2. What are their meals like in economy? Is it preferable to stick with the regular menu, or pre-order a special meal?
TIA for any input.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:36 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Hi MaxVO

As it happens, I am doing an all Y routing tonight, PEK-DOH-EDI. Not quite the 14 hours you will be doing, but same metal 77W & 788.

I have done one return trip on the same route in the last year and survived. Let's see what tonight brings????

Seating wise, I opted for a window on the 77W and an aisle on the 788 on the outward and on the return managed to get a bulkhead aisle on the 77W & bulhead window on the 788. Apart from the seats being narrow on the 788, I didn't find it too bad at 6ft 3in but was lucky in that I had the seat next to me spare on both the 788 flights

I have to order a GFSPML and thought it was quite tasty. Portion sizes are a little small but that's Y.

You don't mention if you have any One World/QR status. If you do then I believe that you can choose 'preferred seating' in Y, being the first three rows on a first come first served basis. I was lucky in my previous three out of four flights in that the seat next to me had been proactively blocked, which I am led to believe is something that QR do if loads permit for status pax in Y.

Hope that has given you some idea of what to expect. No doubt the QR experts will be along shortly.

Good luck.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:00 am
Lux

The main thing to be aware of is the under-seat boxes for the in-flight entertainment. Check on SeatGuru or similar to see where these are, as it varies from none to four seats a row depending on aircraft. They take up a lot of space.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC/SAA VOYAGER
Hi, did a CPT to CDG recently and it was not bad in Y. Due to Oneworld status i managed a decent row in Y, the 9 hours to Doha was just enough, we got two meals due to the time of day, a decent lunch as well as a full dinner later with a few helpings of my friend Johny Red on the side.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:24 am

Just did a leg on QR 788 in Y. The economy meals are decent, though portions seem smaller than a couple of years before. I was surprised at the 788 seat. I am not a big person so the width does not matter to me (yes even at 17"). What would bother me would be the legroom. Surprisingly the 31" legroom was alright (I got an E seat with no AVOD box in front of me), EXCEPT when the person in front reclines the seat and the screen happens to be right in my face.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input so far. Unfortunately I have no OW status. But my flights still have quite a few decent window seats to choose from. They all do have those AVOD boxes in front. Maybe I should take a sleeping pill before the flight, in hope of catching some Z's in the upright position.

Looking at their special meal sections, the Hindu non-vegetarian option (HNML) seems somewhat appealing. Of course they're not specific with the descriptions, so it's impossible to tell if it's better than their regular options.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Looking at the A380 seats and it seems 68D has no seat in front so have more legroom. Anybody experienced that seat before?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: QF
I think there is no 67D seat in front as there is an accessible hatch in the floor (at the 67D position).
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by blutek
I think there is no 67D seat in front as there is an accessible hatch in the floor (at the 67D position).
Chose 68D in the meantime.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
The 788 is good if you're not planning on sleeping - I'd go for an aisle seat and make use of the excellent entertainment system. Meals were fine, for me, and I really enjoyed the Asian vegetarian wrap (surprisingly spicy) - would have preferred if that had taken up the whole box instead of the cake. Long haul flights are wet, but the booze is only evidence at times they deem appropriate (e.g. not at 7 in the morning, but I'm sure they'll serve if asked)
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:09 am

Do they serve Bailey's drink in economy?

I selected the following seats, what do you guys think?

FLIGHT AIRCRAFT SEAT
QR947 02:00-05:00 A359 17H
QR209 07:15-11:20 A332 11J
QR222 12:40-18:15 A320 9A
QR830 20:45-06:55+1 A388 68D

Last edited by lcpteck; Oct 10, 2015 at 9:55 am
Old Nov 18, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
A comment on Y meals, it appears standard meals on both short haul and medium haul are frozen meals (complete with mfr and expire dates). They tasted fine, but was unusual considering EK has a large fresh catering base. I know AA domestic has moved to reheated frozen meals as well, but thought overseas airlines didn't see much cost savings to go frozen considering labor costs.

Special meals are done via fresh catering services.

My QR experience is part of a plan to try pretty much all of the major carriers in the region.

Rasheed
Old Dec 8, 2015, 5:06 am

My first time on QR on an all Airbus itinerary

Here's my seat selection, what do you guys think?

FLIGHT AIRCRAFT SEAT
QR947 SIN-DOH 02:00-05:00 A359 17C
QR209 DOH-ATH 07:15-11:20 A332 11J
QR222 OTP-DOH 12:40-18:15 A320 9C
QR830 DOH-BKK 20:45-06:55+1 A388 28A

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.